Chapter Twenty Five

Misunderstandings

 

Something that Jonghyun had not expected was to become so enraptured with everything that was Key and Danny. Whether it was thinking about them, hanging out with them, or wanting to hang out with them, Jonghyun was constantly and actively doing one of the three. It started out simple enough. He would walk by a store and realize that Danny would completely love a certain thing that they had displaying. Or he would wake up and look at his phone to check if Key had text him yet or not. Hanging out with them was by far Jonghyun's favorite part. They were an awesome team when it came to having fun. 

 

They went to the amusement park on of the the many Sundays they began spending together. Danny had wanted to go, and neither Key nor Jonghyun could remember when the last time they had gone. 

 

Jonghyun showed up bright and early like he always did, ready for the day ahead. He'd learned that getting up in the morning was not difficult thanks to the fact that he wanted the day to start as soon as possible and last a long time. Key and Danny were just preparing breakfast when he'd rung the doorbell. 

 

As they ate around the kitchen island, instead of actually sitting down at the table, they made plans of all the rides they would be getting on and all the animals they were going to see in the petting zoo area. 

 

"I'm gonna feed all the animals!" Danny exclaimed excitedly. Key shook his head at his son's decision, but Jonghyun simply laughed. 

 

"They're gonna attack you if you have a lot of food!" Key filled him in. 

 

"Nuh uh, because you two will be there to protect me." Danny explained. Jonghyun was immensely happy that Danny thought of him as a protector, sure that he would do anything for the little boy. 

 

The entire car ride to their destination was spent with Jonghyun trying to broaden Key and Danny's taste in music, met with playful resistance. Danny insisted that Pororo might be the greatest singer who ever lived, or was drawn, and Key agreed to some songs while still maintaing his ridiculous fondness for Girl's Generation. 

 

"Pororo isn't an artist," Jonghyun argued. 

 

"He is too!" Danny called out from the backseat of Jonghyun's car. "He sings and I learn lessons with him. That's what you said an artist did, teach you things!" 

 

Jonghyun had had to modify his opinion on Pororo after that.

 

Danny had lived up to his promises of riding all the rides he could and feeding all the animals he was allowed to. He took turns riding things with Key and Jonghyun, and neither of them minded. Since he was small, Danny couldn't ride any of the bigger rides, but that hadn't put a damper on their time. Those damn teacups had made Jonghyun nauseous and Key had laughed at his uncomfortable face upon getting off the ride. 

 

"Wipe that look off your face," Key whispered to him, pinching his arm a little. "If you look this freaked out by the teacups, Danny won't ask you to get on any more rides."

 

Jonghyun had done his best to hide his discomfort, only realizing how bad he was at that when he happened to walk by a set of mirrors. His face was smiling, but it did not extend past his lips. 

 

When they approached the next ride, Danny had insisted that Key ride it with him. As the other two were walking away, he heard Key question why he had to ride it. 

 

"Jjong hyung does not look too good," Danny answered. "If we give him a break then maybe he'll wanna come back with us another day." 

 

That had definitely put a genuine smile on Jonghyun's face. Once the other two had gotten off the ride, Jonghyun dragged them all over the place, picking rides that could accommodate the three of them. 

 

By the end of the day, Danny was so worn out that Jonghyun volunteered to carry him to the car. He was so endeared by the fact that Danny had fallen asleep on his shoulder, that he genuinely hadn't wanted to put him down. 

 

On the ride home, Jonghyun had held Key's hand in his own, feeling great about the day. They hadn't really been too forward with their affection in front of Danny, wanting to ease the little boy into the idea of them dating. He had not shown any resistance, but they didn't want to rush him into it. 

 

Danny's affection for Jonghyun seemed to grow with every time that they saw each other. There was one particular lunch that they had had that build the trust and dependence between the two of them. 

 

Key had asked Jonghyun to join them for lunch on a random afternoon, and Jonghyun had been able to comply due to a showcase that he was not needed at. 

 

They had gone out for Mediterranean food and had enough time afterwards to spend some time at a park nearby. Danny had been determined to cross the monkey bars on his own, rambling something about Ah Young being impressed by another little boy's successful trek across them. 

 

Jonghyun had carried him through it several times, wanting Danny to get a hang of things before letting him attempt it on his own. In an attempt to not have a mild panic attack at the fact that his son was a whole two and a half feet off the ground, Key gave them some space to practice. 

 

On the first attempt across on his own, Danny had fallen from the fourth bar. He'd made his way to Jonghyun, tears threatening to spill. To be honest, Jonghyun had a hard enough time comforting adults, whom he could buy liquor for, so handling a weepy four year old was definitely out of his comfort zone. 

 

Jonghyun didn't even know whether the tears were coming from the fall or the fact that Danny had been unable to cross the monkey bars. 

 

Even though he was sitting on a bench, Danny didn't wait for Jonghyun to make a move to comfort him. He simply climbed into Jonghyun's lap and hugged him tightly, pressing his little face into Jonghyun's neck. 

 

Jonghyun rubbed his back softly, hoping to soothe the poor boy in some way. When he felt his neck dampen, his heart broke. 

 

"My knee hurts, hyung," Danny cried softly. "I think I'm bleeding." Jonghyun was 100% sure that he had not seen any blood or even a scuff on Danny's knees, so he realized that the tears were definitely from the failure. 

 

"Do you want me to kiss it to make it better?" Jonghyun questioned, recalling that his mother had offered to do something of the sort whenever he had gotten hurt.

 

Danny shook his head and let out a small laugh, but otherwise made no move away from Jonghyun. "Only babies need kisses to make boo boos better. I'm not a baby! I'm almost five!"

 

"You're never too old to have a boo boo kissed away. Trust me, my mom still does it for me," Jonghyun said jokingly. 

 

"Maybe I am a baby, I can't even cross the monkey bars," Danny answered, and Jonghyun could feel him pouting against his neck. 

 

Jonghyun could see a distressed looking Key approaching them quickly, but he lifted his hand to stop him from coming any nearer. Even though he was not well versed on kids, Jonghyun sure as hell knew a thing or two about failures. Having your parents reassure you was definitely not as helpful as they wanted it to be. 

 

"You wanna know a secret, Danny?" Jonghyun asked quietly. Danny answered with a small nod, so Jonghyun continued. "I couldn't cross the monkey bars on my own until I was nine. You know I'm a little, uh, height challenged. I was scared because I was so far off the ground, that I didn't even start trying until I was in second grade!"

 

Danny loosened the tight grip he had on Jonghyun, and pulled back to show his tear-stained face. "Really?" 

 

"Really. But look at you, you're so brave to try when you are ONLY FOUR!" Jonghyun emphasized the age. "Just because you didn't get it right away doesn't mean anything. You'll get there with some more practice."

 

Danny nodded and made a move to get off of Jonghyun's lap. He wiped his little face and took off, back to the monkey bars. Jonghyun saw Key take a deep breath before starting to walk towards him again. He'd focused so much on the expression on his boyfriend's face that he was completely caught off guard when a small pair of lips pressed against his cheek rapidly. 

 

Jonghyun turned in surprise to see Danny running away quickly. It was easily the most meaningful kiss Jonghyun had ever received. On the cheek. His lips were reserved for the man standing in front of him with a genuinely content look on his face. 

 

A few days later, after much practice and encouragement, Danny had been able to cross the bars on his own. The first thing he did after crossing was run towards Jonghyun and embrace him tightly, whispering 'I did it! I did it!' over and over again. 

 

Even though the times with Danny and Key were amazing, time Jonghyun spent with Key was pretty great as well. 

 

Whether it was a simple dinner, or getting one of Key's friends to babysit and give them a chance for a proper date, every minute with him was pretty wonderful. In the beginning, Jonghyun had done everything he could to set up impressive dates, hoping to impress his boyfriend. 

 

Even though he thought he was going to be terrible at it, Jonghyun slipped in to the role of boyfriend easily enough. He'd always thought that it would be tasking or difficult, but ultimately what made him be good with Key was his sincere enjoyment of his company. 

 

Crazy, elaborate dinner dates had turned into going to the movies to see a movie that Key had been dying to watch. Impressive touristy things turned into walks around the city just holding hands and talking. 

 

"I swear you're so romantic that its disgusting," Taemin said accusingly as they managed to eat lunch together on a Thursday. 

 

"I'm not really romantic," Jonghyun answered, pursing his lips. "There are just a ton of things that I want to do with Key."

 

"Um, I'm pretty sure the definition of romance." Minho chimed in, agreeing with his boyfriend. 

 

"No, the definition of romance is when you do nice things for someone, just to see them smile. And you want to share everything with them because you know that they want to know and be a part of your life. Romance is being perfectly happy doing whatever with another person because you know that no matter what you do, just being with them will make it amazing," Jonghyun said, beginning to lose sight of his initial argument. "Wait, what were we talking about?"

 

"Apparently, how in love with Key you are," Taemin answered, raising an eyebrow. 

 

Although Jonghyun had vehemently denied such feelings, in the back of his mind he knew that as much as he hadn't been looking for it, love wasn't too far off. 

 

"Whatever, your cheesiness just ruined my appetite," Minho said, then hypocritically went to hold Taemin's hand under the table. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even though there was something special about spending time alone with Jonghyun, Key knew that there were times when that wasn't really possible. Tonight was one of those times. 

 

Upon much begging on Jonghyun's part, Key had agreed to go with him to an awards show. He had been reluctant to agree because he was concerned about how Jonghyun would look if he showed up with a man as his date. While the music industry was much more comfortable with the ideas of 'non-traditional' uality, Key didn't want to make a scene. 

 

"I think they'll be more surprised at the fact that I'm taking a date at all, rather than focusing on the fact that you have a ," Jonghyun said one night, sitting with his arms around Key while laying on the couch. 

 

"Was your reputation really that well known?" Key couldn't help but ask. 

 

"Well, uh, even though it might not seem like it, the music industry is kind of a small world. You sleep with one person, you sleep with them all." Jonghyun answered. 

 

Key laughed, knowing that Jonghyun was uncomfortable talking about his past escapades, even though there was nothing he could do about it. So Jonghyun's pleas, followed by a rather intense makeout session, were the reason that Key was currently fiddling with his bow tie in the mirror. 

 

Thankfully, he had enough events to attend to that he had a very nice suit ready and waiting in his closet. It was a classic black Armani suit, set off against a white shirt and a deep purple bow tie. It was classy, yet definitely showed off his style. 

 

At least that's what he convinced himself of. Taemin had reassured him as well, saying that he could go to the awards ceremony in jeans and a t-shirt and he would still look dazzling in Jonghyun's eyes. While Key doubted the extent to which that was true, he managed to pull himself away from his bedroom mirror and walk into the living room to wait for Jonghyun. 

 

Taemin and Danny sat around the kitchen table working on a puzzle which was supposed to have the Disney castle on it, but was currently just blue edges. Key cleared his throat to call attention to the boys, hoping to get some sort of encouragement. 

 

"Daddy do you have makeup on?" Danny asked, sending Key's heart plummeting. Was it really that obvious? He had only applied some BB cream to cover up some imperfections that stuck out in the mirror. "Because you look beautiful." 

 

Key smiled widely, as Danny finished his thought. Taemin nodded in what Key assumed was agreement. 

 

"You look amazing, Key!" Taemin chirped. Suddenly, Key was feeling a lot better about tonight. Even though he was wildly nervous about having to walk the red carpet with Jonghyun, at least he would look good doing so. Even if he tripped. Oh my God, Key thought to himself, what if I trip? The nerves picked up right back where they had left off. 

 

His panic mode was interrupted by Jonghyun's unceremonious entrance into Key's apartment. 

 

"Hi," Jonghyun said, a blinding smile on his face. 

 

"You're supposed to ring the doorbell," Taemin shouted. "Then I was gonna make you wait as Key made his grand entrance!"

 

"Should I go back out, or?" Jonghyun questioned, but Key shook his head rapidly. 

 

"Are you sure we have to walk the red carpet? I mean I know you're a legitimate songwriter and you're up for an award, but what if I trip? What if my fly is down the whole time? What if reporters ask me a question?" Key spoke frantically. 

 

Jonghyun made his way over to where Key was standing, and put an arm around his waist reassuringly. "Its gonna be fine Key. We'll walk down, wave to some photographers, and make our way inside. It'll be quick and painless."

 

"Are you positive?"

 

With a nod, Jonghyun was pulling Key towards the door, ushering him out. "Bye guys, we'll see you tomorrow!" Even though he was dreading the entrance to the show, Key was excited about what would be happening afterwards. Jonghyun had managed to convince him to let Danny spend the night with Taemin and Minho, giving them a chance to spend the night in a fancy hotel room and have some adult time together. 

 

Adult time was something they were both eagerly interested in, but had limited opportunities to partake in with Danny's constant presence. They only had random quick frolics after dates or during a play date, but it was less than either of them liked. 

 

"You look amazing baby," Jonghyun turned to Key as they got in the elevator. "Downright appetizing." Key smiled in response, pressing a kiss onto Jonghyun's lips, nerves going further back in his mind. 

 

They held hands as they walked towards Jonghyun's car, swinging them between them with wide smiles on their faces. The ride to the award show was spent in a comfortable silence, music playing in the background. 

 

Even though Key was nervous about making an out of himself, he knew that Jonghyun was extremely nervous too. He was up for a Song Writer award that was very prestigious. Although he had written several songs for artists before this, this year was particularly successful. Fly High had won several music programs with his song, making his popularity rise significantly. 

 

The two of them had spent several nights talking about what it could mean for Jonghyun if he were to win, or even how honored he was to be nominated. Lengthy late night phone calls were spent considering what exactly Jonghyun would say if he were to win. 

 

Remembering the fact that this was indeed a very important night for his boyfriend, Key decided to put his own concerns on a back burner and focus on Jonghyun. 

 

As they pulled up to the valet area, Jonghyun made his way around the car and opened the door for Key. Jonghyun led him to the area at the end of the carpet, where they timed people before letting them walk through, squeezing the hand that he hadn't let go of. 

 

The walk into the theater passed in a blur, but there were no mishaps. Jonghyun pulled Key along the carpet, stopping every so often to allow for photographs and short interviews. Key didn't do much but smile politely, slightly behind Jonghyun. He was glad that he could be there to support him, but was sincerely happy that no one paid him any attention. 

 

Even the interviewers that did comment on his presence were all very polite, that was until the last interviewer in the lineup. The man had a sly smile, that Key did not particularly like, as he called Jonghyun over. 

 

"Annyeong haseyo Kim Jonghyun ssi!" The reporter called out. There were several standard questions that followed, asking how Jonghyun felt about being nominated and what he thought his chances were to win. Key was proud that Jonghyun was extremely diplomatic in his answers. As Jjong finished explaining that he didn't really have any expectations of winning, the reporter looked over to Key with a knowing smile. 

 

"So who is this lovely young man that you have with you tonight?" 

 

"This is my boyfriend, who was gracious enough to join me this evening." Jonghyun answered, gesturing to Key. 

 

"Does this mean that your infamous promiscuity is behind you?" The interviewer asked, laughing, yet making everyone incredibly uncomfortable. Other reporters that were in the vicinity turned their heads at the rather inappropriate question. Jonghyun looked rather taken aback by the question, genuinely surprised that someone would have the poor taste to ask that. 

 

"I was too amazing to move on from," Key answered, giving the reporter a sly smile of his own, and pulling Jonghyun away. As they made their way inside the venue, Jonghyun laughed quietly. 

 

"That was the perfect answer," he said, pecking Key's cheek lightly. The night was definitely looking up for the both of them. 

 

They were patiently waiting for Jonghyun's category, watching awards being announced and winners making quick speeches before being rushed off the stage, as Key felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. All of his friends knew where he would be tonight, so he wasn't really sure who would be trying to reach him. 

 

He pulled out his phone and saw it was a text message. Key couldn't refrain from gasping out loud as he read the single sentence from Minho. 

 

From: Minho

Taemin and Danny are in the hospital. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A/N: So I haven't updated for almost ten days! Holy crap. I have a completely legitimate reason though!

 

First, I was in LA with my sister, and didn't really find the time to update.

Then I'm kind of stressing because I am officiating a wedding on Saturday. 

So yeah. 

 

I hate to leave you on a cliffhanger, but I did it for dramatic purposes! Don't hate me! 

 

I hope you enjoy the chapter!

 

Thank you for reading! Please subscribe! Leave me a comment! Upvote if you'd like!

 

Love you guys!