Chapter Twenty Four

Misunderstandings

 

If he was honest with himself, Key knew that he had to refrain from kissing Jonghyun a couple of times throughout the day. Watching the interaction between Jonghyun and Danny was almost too much for him to handle. While he hadn't doubted that the two would probably get along, he certainly hadn't expected to be an observer to the evident bonding going on between them. 

 

Key knew that Jonghyun was nervous and excited, but he was a natural with Danny. They fell into easy conversation quickly, nearly leaving Key completely out. He couldn't find it in himself to be jealous, probably completely impressed, and touched, by the other two. 

 

Being left out gave Key the opportunity to really watch Jonghyun, and he was thoroughly impressed by his boyfriend. Even without realizing it, Jonghyun had an amazing protective instinct. When crossing streets with Danny between them, Jonghyun always made sure to lean forward to check for traffic and keep Danny and Key on the sidewalk. He naturally lifted Danny over puddles, potholes, and steps. In the grocery store, Jonghyun had put Danny in the shopping cart, but continuously brought items for his inspection before putting them in the cart. 

 

The moment that had Key's heart beating harshly against his chest was the way that Jonghyun spoke up in Danny's defense, even when it was completely unnecessary. Key wasn't going to scold Danny for eating the cookie, but Jonghyun's protectiveness was so adorable. 

 

No one had ever been able to stand up to Danny's infamous pout, but Jonghyun was on another level. Key was pretty sure that he was already wrapped around Danny's little finger, and he couldn't help but fall a tiny bit in love with Jonghyun for it. 

 

Even though he didn't want it to, the day flew by. They were getting ready to go out for dinner, after having watched Lilo & Stitch, one and two, making personal pizzas, and playing extensively with Legos. 

 

Danny and Jonghyun had laid on their stomachs, deciding that the person who made the more impressive structure would pick where they went to dinner. About halfway through two odd looking buildings, Danny lost interest in his own and began assisting Jonghyun with his. It had been adorable to watch, especially because every piece added had to go through Danny's 'thorough' inspection. Key was pretending to read a book that had been sitting on the coffee table for far too long, but it didn't hold his attention for more than a page at a time. He was too busy watching the boys play, smiling behind the pages of the book. 

 

At the end of it all, there was an impressive looking town that had taken up a large portion of the living room floor. Key couldn't resist taking a couple of snapshots on his phone when the other two were deciding how to break down their creation. 

 

"So, who gets to pick the restaurant?" Danny asked, while putting away the legos. He didn't meet Jonghyun's eyes, and Key was well aware that he was playing shy to get his way. Even though he was sure that the ploy was evident, Key was unsurprised to find Jonghyun rubbing the back of his head. 

 

"Uh, how about I pick the kind of food and you pick the restaurant. Does that sound good?" 

 

"Yep! I mean its only fair, since we both worked on the project," Danny nodded eagerly. Key laughed from behind his book, but tried his best to not interrupt the conversation. 

 

"How about Italian?" Jonghyun asked, even though he was supposed to be making the decision. 

 

"Yes! There's this place that Daddy and I always go to. It looks like its old and falling down, but the food is super delicious." Danny quipped, and Key knew exactly where they were going. 

 

Danny had asked for a change of clothes, wanting to dress nicer than he was for the woman who ran the restaurant. It was adorable that his son had a food crush on her, so Key usually indulged him. 

 

"You can come help me get dressed," Danny said, pulling Jonghyun towards his bedroom. Key followed, smiling as he had for the entire day. 

 

Key watched Jonghyun button the Danny's shirt and discuss the pros and cons of a bow tie from the doorway. It would have been easy to feel a tad bit pushed aside, but to see Danny be so infatuated with Jonghyun's presence was enough for him. 

 

Danny had decided on a black bow tie to go with his white button down, but Jonghyun had convinced him that a colorful hoodie would be the perfect accent to his dressed up top. The owner of the restaurant had welcomed the party of 3, complimenting Danny's style which had made him stutter out a shy thanks. 

 

"I think she's a little old for you," Jonghyun commented, laughing. Danny nodded quickly.

 

"I don't wanna marry her, Jong hyung!" Danny laughed, but hiding his face in his small hands nonetheless. 

 

"He just wants to eat here every day for the rest of his life," Key added, picking at the bread at the center of the table. 

 

"Nah, cause then I wouldn't get to eat your food all the time, and you're my favorite," Danny answered. 

 

Conversation was easy between the three of them, concerning school for Danny, the restaurant for Key, and the music industry for Jonghyun. Even though Jonghyun was disappointed that Danny's favorite artists were Pororo and Disney movies, he was assured that he would be adding some variety. 

 

After dinner, they had gone to get ice cream, fighting over what the best flavors were. It was one of the best days Key had had in a while, and he hoped that the same went for the other two.

 

As they got back to the apartments, Danny complained that he was so tired that he was about to die, and managed to get carried the rest of the way back by Jonghyun (Key did volunteer but both Danny and Jonghyun ganged up on him saying that he was clearly the weaker of the two men, to which he reluctantly agreed).  

 

Key got Danny ready for bed, telling Jonghyun that he could wait in the living room or go home if he'd like. Jonghyun chose to stay, and Key was definitely glad. 

 

"He's in bed now," Key said, walking towards Jonghyun, who was sitting on the sofa quietly humming to himself. "He has school tomorrow, but you can stay for some coffee if you'd like."

 

"I would love some coffee."

 

Key put on the coffee maker and made his way back to the living room, taking the spot next to Jonghyun. "Did you have a good time today?"

 

"I had an amazing time, I'm really glad you let me meet Danny," Jonghyun replied. It was evident to Key that he was being completely honest, and that took away a lot of the nerves he was feeling throughout the day. "It was more fun than I expected."

 

"Did you think we were boring?" Key asked, pretending to be offended. "I'll have you know that Danny and I are a riot! People love to hang out with us."

 

"I wouldn't doubt that for a second," Jonghyun laughed. "I just thought that I was going to be more of a spectator to the Key and Danny show, but you guys made me feel part of the group."

 

"Did you think we were going to leave you in a corner and ignore you?"

 

"Maybe not to that extent, but I didn't think I'd feel so…" he trailed off. He seemed to be searching for the word, as if it was of upmost importance to find the correct one. "You know how sometimes you figure that you already know your comfort zone, like you are old and mature enough to be comfortable with yourself and your life?"

 

Key nodded, unsure of where this was going. "What does that have to do with us though?'

 

"Spending time with you and Danny went beyond that. It wasn't just being comfortable, you guys made me feel like I belonged."

 

There wasn't much that Key wanted to say to Jonghyun in that moment, he felt like the kiss could explain much more than he could with whatever words he could manage to string together. He was touched by the way that Jonghyun was treating Danny, completely rendering himself to the little boy. It was much more than Key could have expected, or even hoped for, but Jonghyun had been amazing. 

 

Danny's face at the end of their time together was enough for Key to realize that he could have something real and lasting with Jonghyun. Although it was kind of terrifying to think about giving up so much of himself to another person, he was sure that it would be worth it to see the Jonghyun and Danny interact. 

 

"OH MY GOD, DADDY!" Danny shouted. Key immediately pulled back from Jonghyun, who looked like he was about to die of mortification, and saw Danny standing in the hall with his little hands over his eyes. 

 

"I'm so sorry about that, I thought-" Key tried to explain, but words were failing him. 

 

"You coulda told me you wanted to kiss! I just thought I could come be with you till I got sleepy!" Danny yelled, still covering his eyes. Key was just about to have a full fledged panic attack until he saw a little smile on Danny's face. 

 

"You can open your eyes now," Key prompted, making his way over to Danny. He was quite surprised to see his son smiling mischievously at him, but was thoroughly glad that he was not angry or upset. 

 

"Gosh, you didn't even check that I was all the way asleep!" Danny said, giggling. Jonghyun cleared his throat somewhere behind them and the laughter got louder.

 

"Um, well I can explain," Key stated, trying to figure out exactly what he was going to tell Danny. Should he just tell him that they were dating? Danny seemed pretty fond of Jonghyun already, and it was only their first meeting. Maybe he would be okay with the idea. Would Danny know what dating implicated? There were a thousand questions running through his mind, but his mind went blank when he stared into the little boy's eyes. 

 

"Okay." Danny prompted. 

 

"So you had a good time today, right?" Key asked, searching for the best way to explain his relationship with Jonghyun (who was currently beet red and completely silent). Danny nodded and Key continued, "You had a good time because Jonghyun was really fun to hang out with, right?" Another nod. "Well, I think he's really fun to hang out with too, but I want to hold his hand and stuff like that too."

 

"Are you guys gonna make out?" Danny asked, face completely serious. Jonghyun seemed to choke on air and Key's face was probably the same shade of red as Jonghyun now. 

 

"Why would you ask that? Do you even know what that is? Who taught you that term?" Key asked all at once, not really wanting to know the answer to the second question. If Danny knew what making out was, he was going to lock him up in his room and not let him out until he turned eighteen. Or twenty one. Or really until Key was incapable of moving any more. 

 

Danny laughed, "Uncle Mir was talking to Uncle Jinwoon about some lady that he wanted to make out with. I asked what it was, but he said that I shouldn't think about that until I was at least thirteen, but thats sooo many times from now."

 

"So what made you think to ask that?" Key asked, already mentally planning Mir's murder. 

 

"Well he wouldn't tell me what it was, but he said that it was something you did when you really liked someone. And by the way you were eating Jong hyung's face, I figure you really like him." Danny answered calmly. 

 

 "I was not eating his face!" 

 

"Then why were your mouths all red?"

 

"It was just a kiss!"

 

"That's what I said you were doing!"

 

"Well, then okay."

 

"What were you going to explain?"

 

"Um, nothing."

 

"No, you said you could explain. What are you explaining?"

 

"Uh…"

 

Danny and Key's back and forth was interrupted by a quiet clearing of Jonghyun's throat. It was so quiet that Key wasn't sure if he was doing it to get their attention or because choking on air had stung his throat. 

 

"Danny," Jonghyun spoke up. "What your dad is trying to explain is that we're kind of together."

 

"I'm right here too," Danny answered to the explanation. Key didn't want to give instructions on how to talk to Danny, but the little boy had difficulties not taking words literally. 

 

Jonghyun let out a short laugh, "What I mean to say is that we are … well, I really like your dad. I'm not entirely sure how he feels about me, but I really like spending time with the both of you and would like to do so. Often, if that's alright with you."

 

"So are you his boyfriend?"  Danny asked bluntly. Key was seriously rethinking his parenting style at the moment, realizing that maybe Danny was a little too forward at his young age. "Or are just gonna hang out with us like Uncle Mir, or Uncle Woo, or Uncle Jinwoon, or Uncle Taemin, or Uncle Min-min? Because I've never seen daddy kiss any of them."

 

Key wanted to laugh at the list of names, considering that he should have more female friends. He should have probably stepped in to answer the question, but Jonghyun was doing a good enough job, and he was interested in how he would answer. 

 

"Well I really hope your dad doesn't kiss all of them, because yes, I am his boyfriend." Jonghyun answered truthfully. 

 

"Does this mean that you're gonna come over every day? Because we can play legos and watch Lilo & Stitch and make cookies, and there are lots of stuffs that I do with Daddy that you can do too! Or are we gonna go to your house? Where do you live? Do you have toys too? Should I take some of my toys to your house? Do you have a copy of Lilo & Stitch? Daddy said that if I scratch this one that he's not gonna buy me another one because last time I was putting it in my tv but I scratched it on accident because I had to go to the bathroom but I took it in there with me," Danny rambled, completely losing sight of the subject at hand. Key was grateful at his ability to ramble into different topic, specifically because it lifted the awkward aire around them. 

 

"I'll tell you what," Jonghyun chimed while Danny in a breath to continue. "We can go toy shopping some time next week so that you don't have to lug all our toys around." 

 

"YES!" Danny shouted. "Daddy's rich, he can buy everything!" 

 

"Your dad's rich?" Jonghyun asked, laughing now. 

 

"Yep, he gets paid like 500 won a day! So we could by lots of stuffs!"

 

Key ended up being the spectator once again as the other two discussed all the things that they could purchase with the massive sum of 500 won. Jonghyun recognized it was time to go as Danny began to yawn more and more. Key carried Danny on his hip to walk his boyfriend out. The very sleepy Danny rested his head on Kibum's shoulder, but insisted on saying goodbye at the door. 

 

"You can go to bed Danny, your dad can walk me out," Jonghyun said, running his hand through Danny's hair. 

 

"I'm not heavy, right Daddy?" 

 

"Nope, you're as light as a feather," Key answered, hoping that his arm didn't fall completely asleep and drop the poor boy. 

 

"Are you gonna come back tomorrow?" Danny asked Jonghyun quietly.

 

"Maybe, I think we can have lunch tomorrow," Jonghyun responded. Key was fairly positive that Danny's eyes had fallen closed, but he could tell he wasn't asleep just yet. His uneven breathing gave him away. 

 

"You should come back all the tomorrows." Danny quipped in a low voice. 

 

Jonghyun's face lit up in a way that Key recognized. It was the same look that he had in pictures he took with Danny. A look that said that he was so hopelessly in love with the little boy that there was close to nothing that he wouldn't do for him.

 

It was a look that Key was reflecting at that very moment, completely unaware.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I am a terrible person. I didn't update. I'm sorry! 

 

I'm feeling particularly uninspired lately, so my sister literally had to sit next to me and nag me until I finished the chapter. And she's a busy person so she didn't get a chance to until tonight. It may or may not be a terrible chapter, but... yeah. 

 

Well anyways, I still want to know about your other OTPs, so please let me know which ones you read!

 

Thank you for reading! Please subscribe! Leave me a comment! Upvote if you'd like! 

 

Okay, bye!