Chapter Four

Misunderstandings

As Jonghyun got ready to head out, he played his iPod loudly and danced along to the beat. His dancing was very seductive, when he was around people. Alone in his apartment he sang along loudly and shimmied around, while dressing himself in white skinny jeans and a black tank. The sillier version of himself was reserved for close friends and family, mainly those who liked him beyond how cool he was. Jonghyun was very cool most of the time, especially for his job.

Working at a major music label had its perks, like good pay, recognition in your field, and the technology and equipment that created the best music. On the downside, he had limited creative control and had the constant necessity to be part of the 'in' crowd. Jonghyun didn't really mind the latter so much, especially since it was aided by one of the biggest perks that came with the job, connections.

Tonight he had managed to book a VIP table at a very exclusive club. Exclusivity meant that the club wouldn't be packed to the hilt in an attempt to make money from every nobody that walked by. Though the table was usually reserved for clients and stars, since there was no one occupying it tonight, Jonghyun convinced his boss to let him have it. The boss knew how hard Jonghyun had been working on the rookie debut and therefore was not difficult to convince. 

Jonghyun was happy to use his connections for Taemin and Minho. Taemin, being a social worker, had had a tough week working on a domestic abuse case that involved small children. Minho, whose ad works wasn't as emotionally straining, was up for a promotion to head of department and therefore stressing out about satisfying all of his clients and getting as many large accounts as possible. The couple tried to be as social as possible for two reasons. One, to keep themselves from becoming total workaholics and two, to keep themselves from neglecting Jonghyun. 

While Jonghyun was self-sufficient and had his family to lean on, he had come to depend on his friends. Minho had been a pillar of strength throughout personal crises, someone he could count on to not judge him and bail him out of jail if need be (not that it had ever happened). He was the guide to Jonghyun's decisions that needed critical perspective.

When Minho had gotten together with Taemin, almost a year ago, Jonghyun had been less than supportive. Minho had a tendency to go for guys who didn't deserve him, like an older guy who only wanted to meet up at night and hook up or some brat that was sure that Minho could take care of him. Jonghyun was afraid that Taemin was just another loser, until he began to notice changes in Minho. Positive changes. Minho became more charitable and patient, he smiled more and talked of Taemin nonstop. 

As Jonghyun allowed himself to get to know Taemin, he understood Minho's love for him. In one word, Taemin was kind. Life had gone easy on him, coming from money and having loving parents, but he dedicated his life to help those who couldn't help themselves. On multiple occasions he'd witnessed Taemin cry at others' misfortunes. Because of his kindness, Taemin had become somewhat of a moral compass for Jonghyun even though he refused to change the way he treated most of his hook-ups. Jonghyun was a great guy to those who knew him well, but not so great when it came to strangers.

Ever since he was young, he was convinced that all he was to people was what he could give them; there was no changing him. 

As Jonghyun left for the night, he made sure to call a cab for Taemin and Minho, which assured that Minho couldn't use the excuse that he would be the designated driver in order to not drink. He wanted to make it up to Taemin a little for not helping out during Minho's party. Once at the club, Jonghyun along with his guests were ushered into the VIP section which had several half-moon booths and several rounds of shots waiting for them. They were drinking freely and having good time. 

Thanks to the VIP booth, the trio didn't have to go to the bar to get drinks, as there was a waitress specifically assigned to bring them whatever they desired. They ventured out to dance sporadically, either because Taemin HAD TO dance to a certain song or because someone caught Jonghyun's eye. They'd had several rounds of drinks when Minho disappeared to the restroom. Taemin and Jonghyun were having a lively debate on the merits of sleeping with men versus women when Jonghyun noticed a face in the crowd. Or body.

He was wearing black skinny jeans that were cut up horizontally from the thigh area downward. His sleeveless red shirt was loose enough to see some of his soft-looking body, but just enough to be intriguing and not blatant. His hair was styled messily and it was evident to Jonghyun that he was wearing some eyeliner. Jonghyun was able to note all these things with a while watching not-Key walk from the entrance of the club towards the bar. His eyes were drawn to him immediately. 

"You have got to be kidding me," Jonghyun said under his breath. He definitely did not think that he would be seeing not-Key at a club, being surrounded by guys. For as self-righteous as he had seemed Jonghyun hadn't pegged him for a player, but he was sitting at the bar with two different guys with their hands on the small of his back. Jonghyun looked down at himself and made sure he was all in order before he made his way over to not-Key. He wanted to know why he'd been so judgmental. Also, his name. All week whenever he thought of the boy who had harshly told him off, he called him not-Key in his mind. Not that it happened often, nope. 

"Who is that?" Taemin held his arm, questioning. "You're staring at him pretty hard, hyung."

"Its kind of a long story, but basically he ... turned me down," Jonghyun said, trying to avoid recapping the embarrassing way in which not-Key had picked apart the flaws in his approach. 

"Well his back is y," Taemin said, drunkenly. "Those two guys that are with him are hot. Do you think he turned you down because he is in a three way relationship? Do you think he turned you down because you were gonna add too much to the already full plate? I hope he's with the one on the left, he's super cute. Do you think Minho will let us get a third? Nah, that's weird. I love Minho too much to share." Taemin always rambled when he was well on his way to getting drunk, but Jonghyun did take a closer look at the guys that were with not-Key. 

While he was inspecting them, Taemin had made his way over to the bar and Jonghyun ran after him. Taemin was kind of unpredictable when he drank, always overly friendly and loud. 

"Hello!" Taemin said loudly, tapping not-Key on the shoulder. 

"Hel- Yah!" not-Key said, turning around surprised. "Lee Taemin, is that you?"

"Key hyung! Oh my God, hi! How are you?" recognition seemed to sink into Taemin. 

"I hardly recognize you! I haven't seen you in ages! You remember Woohyun and Mir, right?" Key said gesturing at the men to his sides. "Jinwoon is joining us later."

"Of course, hello!" Taemin bowed slightly. Jonghyun watched the interaction with his mouth wide open. The half expected Taemin to make friends with the guy who turned him down, but definitely not to have already known him. Jonghyun elbowed Taemin slightly to remind him of his presence. 

"Oh, Key hyung this is my boyfriend's best friend, Jonghyun," Taemin added. It was then that Key looked at Jonghyun. His face seemed passive, definitely different from the last time Jonghyun had seen him. "Jonghyun, this is Key. I went to high school with him, though he graduated a year before me."

"Nice to meet you, Jonghyun." Key smiled, not giving away that they'd somewhat met before. 

"I thought Key wasn't your name," Jonghyun questioned, not really returning the friendly smile. 

"Its a nickname, not my name." Key answered quickly, dropping the smile. 

Taemin looked quizzically between both men, asking "Do you know each other? Oh that's right, Jonghyun said that you turned him down!" Jonghyun looked at Taemin in shock. Taemin always talked a lot when he was intoxicated, but he definitely knew how to make a situation awkward.

Key laughed, as did the men he was with. Jonghyun tried to recall the name Key mentioned in the grocery store, he was sure that it wasn't Woohyun, Mir, or Jinwoon. "In order to turn someone down, they have to ask you out." Key giggled. "All he did was a half-assed attempt to get my phone number."

"Oh my God, Jonghyun!" Taemin squealed. "Lets catch up, Key! Jonghyun do you mind if we all sit at the table?" Being put on the spot, Jonghyun didn't have much of a choice and agreed. When Minho came back from the restroom, he sat next to Jonghyun who was sitting on one side alone. The other four were happily chatting away about Taemin's occupation. 

"Who are those guys?" Minho asked. Jonghyun explained that they were old classmates that Taemin had encountered. Key answered a phone call and got up to wave someone to their table, then another attractive, muscular guy walked towards them. Jonghyun did not miss the tight hug between 'Jinwoon' and Key, or the way Key's hand patted the newcomers . 

The booth was getting far too cramped with seven guys, until a scantily dressed girl asked Jinwoon to dance. Woohyun, Mir, and Taemin got up to go to the restroom and to get a round of drinks, leaving the table with only Key, Jonghyun, and Minho. As Key pouted, he began to direct conversation at Minho, as Jonghyun just observed. "Hello, Minho is it? Are you having a good time?"

"It is. And you go by Key, right? I was having a wonderful time until you stole my boyfriend's attention," Minho said playfully.

"Yes, and I'm sorry! I didn't mean to monopolize his time, but we haven't seen each other in years!" Key laughed.

"Why is that? You seem pretty close, I would have thought that you wanted to keep in touch with him." Minho scolded. 

"Its not that I didn't want to, I distanced myself from everyone for a while." Key frowned. "But anyway, tell me about yourself. What do you do? What are your hobbies?"

"Hmm well I am in advertising, and my job keeps me far too busy to have hobbies," Minho answered, trying to lighten up the conversation. "What about you?"

"Seriously? This is my lucky night! I am looking for an advertising agency for a cafe! Do you handle small businesses, as well? I've had a hard time finding a good agency that does!" Key asked excitedly.

Minho took out his card and handed it to Key, "For a friend of Taemin's, anything. Give me a call this week, so we can set up an appointment."

"That sounds awesome. Thank you! So yeah, how long have you and Taemin been together? Isn't he amazing?" Key said, keeping the conversation going. 

"It'll be a year on September, so eleven months? Yeah, he's pretty spectacular." Minho said, getting that faraway look in his eye. Jonghyun had grown tired of being excluded and when he remembered the name from the grocery store, he decided to speak up. 

"What happened to Danny?" Jonghyun questioned. 

"Something happened to Danny?" Jinwoon asked, appearing shocked. His expression surprised Jonghyun.

"What? No. He's at home." Key reassured him. 

"Does he know that you were coming out with three guys?" Jonghyun questioned raising his eyebrow, and Jinwoon laughed. 

"Key doesn't hide anything from Danny, and Danny loves us!" Jinwoon answered, giving Key a side hug. 

The rest of the night went similarly. Key interacted with everyone playfully, but all of Jonghyun's attempts to be flirtatious were immediately shut down by one of Key's friends, including Taemin. This fueled Jonghyun's desire for both an explanation and for Key.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Okay, so I think that this chapter pushes things into motion for the story.

Though the story has been in Jonghyun's point of view, this is going to change in the next chapter in order to introduce Key's story. 
(THOUGH IT MAY NOT BE IN KEY'S POINT OF VIEW! I'm thinking of doing it from Minho's perspective. Idk yet. I have the ideas down, just not a cohesive chapter. Ahhhh!!)

I hope you guys don't mind it too much.

The song that I thought of for this chapter is Trouble Maker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-zRAQmKUkI

Jonghyun is a troublemaker! ;)

As per usual, thank you for reading! and subscribing! <3