Chapter Five

Misunderstandings

Throughout the work day the following Wednesday, Minho kept an eye on is watch. Taemin's friend Key had made an appointment to see him at eleven, and he had to admit that he was curious about this newcomer. Taemin had done nothing but speak about how amazing, strong, and fabulous Key was. Key had been Taemin's rock when he was coming to terms with his uality and when his mother had fallen ill with cancer. Key had been encouraging in Taemin's desire to dance and eventually to help others. The praises never-ending from Saturday night until Tuesday night when Minho asked why they had stopped talking. 

"Because I'm a terrible person," Taemin had said, looking sad. "He had a rough time when I was starting my second year of college and I wasn't there for him." Minho, who would never say such things about Taemin, consoled his boyfriend and assured him that there was no way he was a terrible person. Taemin hadn't gone far beyond that explanation and cried his eyes out in Minho's arms, the older unable to help him feel better, "Its been four years since we last talked, I just want to make up for it." 

Minho didn't want to be nosy, but he was also dying to know what his lovely Taemin had done to feel so bad. Having watched the interaction of Taemin and his friends had been interesting on Saturday night, and he would have never guessed that Key would resent Taemin in any way. All the guys, aside from Jonghyun had had a wonderful time reminiscing and bonding over how much they had all changed since high school. 

The only reason Jonghyun hadn't had as good a time as everyone else was because everyone was set on spurning any advances he made to Key. Minho couldn't warn them that Jonghyun loved a challenge. Key was somewhat receptive to Jong's flirting but didn't fuel his ego. Even though Minho loved Jonghyun like a brother, he knew how he was with significant others, so he did not want him to jeopardize Key and Taemin's friendship. Especially when Taemin seemed so excited to have it back. 

Minho sat in his office, patiently waiting for Key to show up. At 11:15, Minho's phone rang with a call from a number he didn't recognize. Figuring it was Key, he picked up, "Hello?"

"Hey Minho, its Key. I'm so sorry for keeping you waiting, but I had an emergency and I just wanted to know if you want to reschedule because I don't think I'll be done till noon. I really appreciate you taking the time to meet with me, but I can't get out of this right now. I'm really sorry to have wasted your time," Key spewed out quickly, sounding out of breath. "Ugh but I don't know when you can meet, again I'm really really sorry."

"Key, its okay. Noon is usually my lunch hour, but we can have a lunch meeting. I can get Taemin to pick up some food and we can just talk through things here at the office. How does that sound?" Minho said, trying to sound reassuring. He knew that he didn't have much appointment time open and that Key needed an ad agency quickly.

"Um, are you sure? I kind of have Danny with me." Key asked skeptically. 

Minho was kind of unsure about meeting Key's boyfriend, who the reason he turned down Jonghyun (according to Jonghyun), but he wanted to measure the guy up. For some reason, seeing Taemin's fierce devotion to Key made Minho want to watch over him as well. 

"Bring him along, its fine with me." Minho said after a second's hesitation. 

"Thank you so much! We'll be there at noon, and don't worry about the food. We can bring it!" Key said as he hung up. Minho thought whether it would be awkward to eat just the four of them. He didn't do well on double date type of activities because he always found himself comparing his relationship to the one in front of him. It wasn't that he was competitive, but sometimes the situations turned sour. 

Minho pulled out his phone to call Taemin so that Taemin wouldn't go off to their usual lunch spot. They met for lunch Mondays and Wednesdays because during the week they were so swamped with work that they had to make designated time to spend together. Thursdays were usually reserved for having lunch with Jonghyun, since he needed them to fulfill his emotional needs at least one time a week. 

Being there for Jonghyun emotionally used to be very awkward for MInho. He always felt like he had a boyfriend who he was not attracted to because he was there to listen to all of Jonghyun's complaints and worries but didn't have any benefits. Minho always suspected that Jonghyun wanted to keep him around so that he didn't have to form meaningful connections with anyone else, the suspicions further reinforced by the fact that Jonghyun normally hated whoever Minho was dating. Minho's boyfriends always faced an obnoxious, uncaring Jonghyun who would be silent upon meeting them, unless it was to brag about himself and Minho. He'd had no real conversations with any of them until Taemin came along. When Taemin came along, not even Jonghyun could deny how amazing he was.

At first, Minho had been worried about how close Taemin and Jonghyun had grown. Taemin had no problems sharing his mind and heart with others and Jonghyun began consulting about things he hadn't even talked to Minho about. Their close relationship was so similar to the one that Jonghyun had with Minho, that he was worried about being edged out of the . Minho realized that those fears were unfounded one night after drinking with both guys. Jonghyun drunkenly admitted to Taemin that he hoped he would marry Minho in order to stay friends forever, because his ultimate loyalty was to Minho. Taemin tearfully accepted this confession with his own, saying that he too wished to stay with Minho. The two then drunkenly suggested that Taemin and Minho adopt Jonghyun when they get married, that way he could have both of his parents and not skip meals. 

With his phone up to his ear, Minho smiled. Jonghyun didn't need to be adopted, especially since he had parents of his own, 'He just needs to settle down,' he thought to himself. As the call went to voicemail, Minho wondered if Taemin was working himself too hard today. A visit from his friend should cheer him up. Minho left a message, "Hey Baby, its me. Key is coming by to the office during lunch. He had something come up so he couldn't make it to our appointment. He said he'd bring lunch for us, so just come to my office during your break. See you in a little while. Oh! And he's bringing Danny too." 

Minho went back to work, taking advantage of the time he had to work on other accounts so that maybe he could get home early today. He continued to work until his assistant called him. 

"Um Mr. Choi, you have visitors." Jessica said. This made Minho stop his work in surprise. Jessica knew to bring visitors into his office immediately in order make everyone feel like they were important enough that Minho was already waiting. 

"Send them in, Jessica." Minho answered, sort of annoyed. He walked to the door and heard footsteps walking towards his door. Instead of coming in, he heard them stop and then Key spoke up.

"Can you give us a second? We'll go in on our own." Key said, Minho figured to Jessica. 

"Sure, if you need anything let me know." Jessica answered, then left. 

"Okay baby, I want you to make a really good first impression. I know your tummy was hurting earlier, but eat really well. If you have to go to the restroom let me know, okay? Are you ready?" Key asked. It made Minho giggle that Key would have this kind of talk, as he moved back towards his desk (in order to not give away that he had heard the embarrassing conversation) Minho straightened himself out. 

When Key opened the door and shuffled in, Minho's jaw dropped. He definitely hadn't expected this. 

"Hey Minho, your assistant let us…" Key stopped, looking at Minho's face. "I thought Taemin would have explained." Minho closed his mouth and immediately felt bad for having reacted this way. 

"I'm sorry, I'm just surprised. Taemin didn't say much of anything, aside from saying that he was a terrible person." Minho answered quickly. 

"Aigoo, that's ridiculous. Is this okay, still? I can try to make another appointment for a different day." Key asked cautiously. 

"No, no. This is fine." Minho smiled. 

Key nudged the little boy that was with him, who had been patiently listening to Minho and Key talk. "Hello," he gave a bow, "My name is Danny. Its nice to meet you, thank you for having us." Danny had Key's high cheekbones and beautiful eyes, and his manners had Minho melting. 

"Hi Danny, I'm Minho." Minho shook his hand. "How are you today?"

"I'm not doing too good. My Appa had to pick me up from the school today 'cause my tummy was hurting. We went to the clinic and they said that there wasn't nothing wrong with me, but I told them it hurt but the doctor said I was okay. I was mad cause the doctor said that I wasn't saying the truth, but daddy told me we were gonna come see some nice people, so I said okay and then," Danny said in a single wind of breath before Key cut him off. 

"Baby, I don't think Minho needs to know all the details." Key said, giggling slightly. He looked at Minho, "Sorry, I've always suggested he be thorough with his explanations and he can take that to far sometimes."

"Its okay," Minho said quickly, having taken an immediate liking to Danny. "He's adorable." As Minho said that, he could see Danny pouting. 

"He prefers handsome." Key laughed and Danny nodded. "But thanks, we try."

At that moment, Taemin stumbled in a navy three-piece suit, carrying at least four wrapped presents. Looking up, he smiled, "Key you're here!" He immediately discarded the presents on Minho's full desk and kneeled in front of Danny. "Hi Danny, I'm Taemin. You can call me Uncle Taemin, or Taemin is fine. I got you a few things, because I'm not sure what you're into. What is your favorite movie, by the way, because the girl at the shop said that's the easiest indicator as to what you like. I tried to tell her," he said, only stopping at the sound of Danny's giggle and Minho's nudging. 

"Sorry, he rambles." Minho laughed. 

"I remember," Key laughed. "But Taemin, it wasn't necessary for you to buy him all these things." Minho couldn't help but laugh at Danny's shaking head and his tugging on Key's hand, that he was still holding, as if to indicate that his father's words were not expressing his feelings. 

'Wow, Key is a dad.' Minho thought to himself, while Taemin explained that it was completely necessary to buy Danny toys. It was finally dawning on him exactly what was implicated when a little boy was calling someone dad. The information hadn't been fully processed, probably deterred by Danny's cuteness, but he was coming to terms with the idea. He had so many questions, and it was obvious that Taemin already knew about Danny but he hadn't explained anything. Minho wanted to know about the situation but it didn't seem right to ask in front of Danny. 

"Well, we brought lunch!" Key said, having finally accepted that he would be taking the toys with him. "We weren't sure what to bring, but Danny suggested sandwiches. So I brought a smoked salmon sandwich, a crab salad sandwich, a prosciutto asparagus sandwich, and a grilled cheese with pears. Pick whatever you like, Danny and I like all of them."

Taemin and Minho nodded, impressed. "So this is from your cafe?" Taemin asked. Key simply nodded as Minho directed them to the round table next to his desk. 

"Danny is there one that you prefer?" Minho asked, wanting Danny to like him as much as he already liked the child. 

"Um, Daddy said its not polite to pick first." Danny said shyly. Key smiled. 

"Its okay, just this time I think." Minho whispered and Danny pointed to the smoked salmon sandwich. Key shook his head, but allowed it. 

As the all picked their sandwiches, Key pulled out waters and soft drinks as well. "So, how've you been?" Taemin asked Key. 

"Really great, you know. Everything has kind of been falling into place. I opened the cafe, Danny got into this really great pre-school, and I ran into you!" Key smiled. "What about you? I know we talked a little about your social work position, hows that going? Is Minho treating you well?" 

"Its going well. I feel like I can really help people, and that is so fulfilling." Taemin answered, "And Minho treats me like a dream." He finished, leaning into Minho. 

"Is Minho Taemin's boss, Daddy?" Danny asked.

"No, he is his boyfriend." Key answered casually and Danny nodded and took a bite of his sandwich. Though Minho was taken aback by Key's cool attitude and Danny's understanding, he wasn't too surprised. They seemed like a great pair. 

They had small talk while they ate, until it was time to talk business. Taemin offered to take Danny to the park nearby for a little while so that Minho and Key had time to discuss their ideas. As Key was saying good-bye to Danny, Minho overheard a bit of their conversation. 

"Listen to Taemin, okay baby. Hold his hand when you cross the street. Don't complain when you have to leave." Key whispered, taking nonexistant fluff off of Danny's shoulder. 

"I know Daddy. Love you." Danny said, hugging Key. 

"Love you too." Key answered. 

As the pair left, chatting about movies. Key turned to face Minho. "So do you want talk about ads or Danny first?"

"Definitely Danny" Minho answered. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I am sooooo sorry for not updating sooner. I don't know what happened lol. 

Well yep! This is where I was going with the story! :)

I kind of narrowed down that the point of view is rotating third-person limited. Yep. 

Anyways. I will upload soon! You haven't heard the whole story yet! 

As for the music: I don't know. I would be surprised! BUT I am super obsessed with EXO's Growl right now. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3dezFzsNss

Thank your for reading! And subscribing!