Gogumas! And the Ice Princess

Hydrangeas Bloom

Seohyun

Why is he always late? How come? Is there something wrong at his house? Ah what do I do to help him? I’ve been trying to call him to wake him up but he always get back to sleep after I hang up. Eotteokhae?

The clock was ticking inside the classroom. Everyone was immersed in reading their text books as the teacher had told us to. But instead I spent the time looking outside the window, thinking about Yonghwa oppa. I was worried about his academics if he would keep on being late. The worst was that he could be prevented from graduating if this would go on. I need to do something to help him.

“Joohyun….why aren’t you looking at the book? Ms. Jung would be mad if she notices you. You know how she feels about daydreaming in her class,” whispered my seatmate.

I was so deep in thought that I only heard him the second time he called my name. “Ah, I’m sorry Jungshin. I was drowning in thought. Mianhae. What page was it again?” I immediately attended my text book right before Ms. Jung approached us. I could hear her clearing when she was right next to Jungshin.

The class ended for recess at 10.00am. Like I always did every day, I went out of the class on time and went straight to Yonghwa’s classroom. We always went to the cafeteria together. In front of his classroom, I peeked in from the door and saw him still tidying up his desk. Even though he was quite clumsy, he was a clean and tidy person.

In the middle of staring at oppa, someone blocked my view. I was slightly taken aback. I didn’t know who she was so I assumed she was a transfer that has been assigned to this class. She was pretty. Her hair was dark brown and jaw-length. Even though she was shorter than me, she was really pretty. Her eyes looked so calm and beautiful. How I envy her beauty.

“Hi, are you looking for someone?” She asked calmly.

“Ah…aaniyo. I was just looking at the class decoration,” I lied. “Um, I don’t think I’ve seen you before, are you new?”

Ne. I just transferred here from Jeonju and was assigned at this class. My name is Kim Taeyeon, nice to meet you,” she offered her hand.

“I’m Seo Joohyun of class 3-1, nice to meet you. Uh…you can call me Seohyun if you want,” I shook her hand.

“I’m going to the cafeteria, wanna come along?” she asked.

“Ah, no…um…I mean…not that I don’t want to go with you, but I still have something to do here.”

“Oh, so I guess I’ll be going then. See you around, Seohyun-ssi.” She waved as she turned and left.

Just as I waved back, Yonghwa oppa called me.

“Seohyunnie, sorry for keeping you waiting. My desk was a mess thanks to Jonghyun,”

“Ah, it’s okay, oppa. Let’s go,”

There was something strange with Yonghwa oppa. He took fast steps towards the door when he approached me. And as soon as we got out of the classroom, he kept on looking back and forth as if he was looking for something…..or someone.

“What’s wrong, oppa?” I asked him.

“Hmm? Ah, nothing, Seohyunnie. Let’s go get something to eat,” He smiled.

Like always, his smile made me feel warm inside.

----------

The cafeteria was really crowded. I hate being in a crowded place. But for some reason I didn’t want to go anywhere else. I wondered why, maybe because Yonghwa oppa was really hungry.

Oppa! Didn’t you have a piece of toast this morning on the way to school? How come you’re feeling hungry now?” We were standing in the line to get our food in the cafeteria buffet.

“I don’t know…a piece of toast felt like a passing wind,” He laughed. “You know I’ve always been a rather good eater.”

“Yes I know oppa. But if you keep eating you’ll get fat. Worse is that if you keep eating unhealthy food it will accumulate in your body and eventually you will die,”

“I won’t get fat and you know it. I eat so much and yet I’ve never been fat. Just relax, Hyunnie, I’ll take care of my health properly,” he pinched my cheek.

Before I could get back at him, I was stopped by a mouth-watering smell that came from one of the buffet trays.

“Hey, guess what they serve for today,” Oppa pointed at the direction of the smell. “Goguma!”

I almost let out a small scream. Goguma was my kryptonite. I couldn’t reject the offer of gogumas. It was my single most cherished food, my top-of-the-list favorite. I even sometimes used it as comparison and measurement of how much I like something.

Omo! Goguma!” the urge to put my hands on those sweet potatoes swelled up inside me. “Ya! Hurry up, can you? Emergency goguma situation here!” I said to the people lining in front of us.

“Hahaha, you’re so cute when your personality changes instantly just because of a single sweet potato.” Yonghwa laughed.

Hearing that, my face turned red right away. I looked away from him to hide my blushing face, but he didn’t seem to notice. Omo! Eotteokhae? What do I do? I thought to myself. What was that? Why did he have to say such words to me? If only he understand….

No, no. I quickly put aside the thought…

By the time Yonghwa oppa and I have picked up our meals, all the tables in the cafeteria were already occupied. When we were just about to look for further places to eat while chit-chatting and laughing, Yonghwa bumped into someone that was standing in the way. Yonghwa was surprised as she fell down but he acted fast.

Jwesonghamnida! I’m really sorry, I didn’t see you.” He apologized as we helped her back up to her feet.

“Ah, it’s alright. I guess I fell asleep again,” she mumbled.

Yonghwa oppa and I exchanged glances. What does she mean? Did she really fall asleep while standing in the middle of a crowded place?

“Are you looking for somewhere to eat? You may join us if you want,” I offered her.

“Oh, that’s okay. Thank you for your kindness but I’ll be going to take my meals now. Hehe…” She strode off towards the buffet.

I just realized something; underneath her cap, she wore a pair of sunglasses. Well, you don’t see that often in the school. But other than her weird accessories, she looked nice. She had long blonde hair. She was a little shorter than me but still an average height for a girl (for a girl, I was quite tall). Nonetheless, I didn’t think I had seen her before. Could she be another transfer student?

After a long search of somewhere to eat, oppa and I finally found an empty table by the corner of the cafeteria. We ate there calmly. I was in the middle of munching my goguma when I noticed something about Yonghwa oppa. He seemed distracted. His food was barely touched. He hadn’t said anything since the first bite. He kept on looking back and forth, side to side, as if looking for someone. I tried to look in the direction he was looking but didn’t see anyone in particular. Then I hesitantly asked him.

“Um…oppa…are you expecting someone? You look distracted. If you leave it, your food will get cold.”

“Hm? Ah…mianhae Seohyunnie. No, I wasn’t expecting someone. I’ll tell you about it later after school. Now, how’s that goguma?” he changed the topic.

“It’s perfect!” I said and offered him my goguma to take a bite. I’m sharing a bite with oppa, I thought to myself.

Before he could take a bite, someone rushed in and sit beside Yonghwa. It was the girl from earlier.

“I may sit with you guys, may I not?” She asked as she took the seat, even before we answered. I quickly noticed that she brought a tray without anything on it.

“Um…mhmm….” The words didn’t leave my mouth successfully. I was embarrassed if she saw me giving Yonghwa a goguma to share a bite with, so I quickly put the goguma into my mouth instead. But oppa didn’t seem to notice as he was busy studying the girl beside him.

“Um…why aren’t you bringing anything on your tray? Aren’t you gonna eat?” He asked.

“Ah, no. I don’t need to eat as long as I can sleep,” she smiled then rested her head on her arms on the tray she brought. I couldn’t see her expression well because of her sunglasses so that must be what the sunglasses were for; to hide her eyes when she’s asleep.

“You really do like to sleep, don’t you?” Yonghwa asked her.

“Of course. My specialty is sleeping, and my hobby is also sleeping. Sleeping is like the best gift God has given to us. If there’s a chance, I would sleep.”

We laughed. “Wow, you’re really something. Oh, and by the way I haven’t seen you before, have I? Are you new?”

“Ah, I’m sorry. Where are my manners.” She got up, cleared and took off her sunglasses. “Annyeonghaseyo. Jung Sooyeon-imnida. Nice to meet you. I’m a transfer student in class 2-2. Oh, and you can just call me Jessica, I just transferred from the US.

“Ooo, I see. You’re in the 2nd year,” I said. “Let’s get along well.” I gave her my prettiest smile.

Ne, of course.” She replied my smile before putting her sunglasses on, sitting back down then rested her head back on the tray.