Hydrangeas Bloom: an Epilogue

Hydrangeas Bloom

Seohyun

“Come now, we haven’t got all day!” the sixty-something-year-old man who was my uncle urged me to get inside his sleek, luxurious black sedan.

“Wait! I think I forgot something,” I said.

I hurried back inside the house before I could hear my uncle grunting. Ugh, how I hated being around him. When he came to me that day after the funeral, I barely recognized him. He was a distant relative whom I never met. My parents never took me to visit him. The closest I had ever been to him was when eomma and appa showed me the family photo album. And now, after they were gone, he was suddenly the only and closest thing I had for family.

I stormed inside my almost-empty bedroom and rummaged through the boxes containing my personal stuff. Moving out from this house—our own house—was hard. Because my parents were not there anymore, I had to leave Seoul and live with my uncle out of town. Well, at least I’ve convinced him to cut me some slack and allow me to live alone in an apartment close by, just within range of his place so he could keep an eye on me, which I highly doubt he will.

I found what I was looking for in one of the boxes. I took out the small rectangular piece and brushed my hand against the surface to wipe off the thin layer dust that was beginning to cover it. It was a framed photograph of me and my best friend, Yoona eonni. It was one of the most precious thing in my possession that I could never afford to lose, even though I had lost the very person in that photograph. It was the one thing that kept me together in my hard times.

I hastily pack the things back in their boxes except for the photograph. I put it inside my backpack and left for the front door.

“Seriously, Joohyun. If you must do anything else, do it now! Once we set off, there’s no going back,” My uncle raised his voice, almost yelling.

I quickly locked the front door and obediently hurried to the car. “No, uncle. That’d be all, uncle.”

“Good, now get in the car. We’d best be on our way now.”

Before we set off, I took another—probably the last—look at the house. After all that had happened, it just looked dull and gloomy. The white walls used to look bright, as if they smiled and laughed along the joy that once washed this residence. Now, there were only dust and mold, as if those walls were grieving over the passing of the ones that used to make them smile bright.

I kept my eyes on the white house that would soon no longer be mine as the car took me farther away, my heart heavier with every meter passed. My mind began to play all the joyful times I had in that house: Appa teaching me how to ride bike, eomma cooking me breakfast as I sat eagerly waiting for eomma’s world-famous pancake. And all my childhood I spent there with Yoona eonni, before she went missing. All of this was too much. I felt tears escaping the corner of my eye and quickly wiped it off with my hand. No, I won’t crumble here. Not in front of my uncle.

“So, I’ve arranged everything in your new home. There’s a small apartment that you could live in without having too much trouble. For now, I will handle all your financial problems, including the apartment and the school you’re going to. All of this, with your family’s savings, of course. I will hold on to it until you graduate or you are of age to be responsible enough to live on your own. By then, I will give you all that your parents have left for you. So until then, you’ll be living off monthly allowance from me. If you run into any problem, come to me and I’ll help you as long as it’s within my power. Oh, and my assistant have also arranged movers to move your things to your new home. He will see to it that your things arrive safely by tomorrow at your place. Are we clear?”

I could only nod and tried to be an obedient niece. “Yes, uncle. Thank you, uncle.”

Actually, in my honest eyes, my uncle was not all that bad. He cared, in his own way, a good deal about my life even though he didn’t give that much attention to me. Because if he didn’t, I don’t know where else I would end up by now.

---------

Just a day after I moved in, my new school already started. Uncle had bought me a decent bike for my main transportation to get to school. It was better than having to walk to school everyday, as there wasn’t many public transportation in the neighborhood. I thanked him for it and pedaled my way to school.

On the way, on a stop at a traffic light in a junction, I spotted a boy wearing the same uniform as me.  He was munching on a piece of sandwhich as he waited on his bike for the light to turn green. I couldn’t make out his face, but his short black hair was a mess, almost as if he just woke up. I took a glance at my uniform after looking at his, and then back at him. His uniform looked like it had been used for a few days and haven’t been washed or ironed. Not to mention the untucked parts of his shirt. It’s true that I may have (very) little tolerance to untidiness, but he was such a mess I couldn’t stand it. Gross. I just fought back the urge to come to him and fix him up for good.

When I arrived, I was warmly welcomed by the principal personally. She turn out to be a good friend of my uncle so that was how she knew my name before I even introduced myself. She immediately took me on a tour around the school. She gave me permission to start the class a little later because she said she must show me the whole school first so that I would not lose my way around on my first day. It was a pretty big school, even bigger than my old school back in the city. As I watched the students doing whatever they were doing before classes start, I felt relieve because all of them were well groomed. I was beginning to feel uneasy if the whole student body was as messy as the mess I witnessed back on the road.

The principal and I waited outside a class that I was going to be assigned to. As the teacher inside finished his morning speech, he signaled for the principal to enter the room with me. As we entered the room, all the noise and chatters that filled the class was replaced by silence. Even more so when the principal began to speak.

“Class, there is someone who have traveled far from Seoul to this small town to begin a new life. Please take good care of her and make her feel welcome in her new home.” She spoke to the class before giving me a gesture for me to introduce myself in front of the class. I braced myself and calmed myself down. I was never the confident one, even if it was only introducing myself in front of a class full of students.

Annyeonghaseyo, Seo Joohyun-imnida. Nice to meet you. Please take care of me.”

There wasn’t much response from the students, only stares and murmurs, the typical response I have grown to expect every time I went to a new place. That was why I hated going to a new place. I just wanted to be where I could be myself without society telling me what’s good and what’s bad for me. And I always found such bliss in my solitary moments. I just hated crowded places.

Then, before the teacher assigned a seat for me, there was a hussle by the door. A nicely groomed boy then appeared through the door. When he noticed me in front of him, he stopped for a second and stared at me. At that brief moment, I noticed something. His stare was not like the others—full of judgment—but almost seemed out of admiration. Even with his hair fixed, his shirt tucked neatly, his face clearly visible, I knew he was the mess I saw at the junction this morning on the way to school. He looked like a different person, but I just knew it was him.

“Mr. Jung, you’re late. Why am I not surprised? So that makes ten this month,” The teacher said, interrupting the latecomer.

“Uh, yes. Sorry, seonsaengnim. This will be the last,” replied the boy.

“And so did what you said the first nine times. Just hurry along and get to your seat,”

The boy did obediently what he was told. I still found him odd with all the change from what I saw earlier on the way here as I watched him get to his seat. And then I finally noticed that the only empty seat in the class was the one next to his. Great, now I guess I’ll be seating beside the mess he was for the whole year.

“And now, Ms. Seo, you can sit on the back next to Mr. Jung,” He turned to the guy at the back of the class. “You be sure to make her feel welcome in this school. Okay, Mr. Jung?”

Jung-sshi—or what ever his name was—only nodded at the teacher’s request/order. As I walked to my seat, I glued my eyes on him, hoping to see some kind of reaction or anything. But I was left disappointed by the time I sat down. He didn’t show me anything as much as a glance. It was supposed to be a response I was too familiar with, but somehow I wanted him to give me just a little attention. A glance would be enough. I was never one to approach people, so I just wait it out until he approach me. But it didn’t happen the whole period, as we spent the time side by side, in complete silence.

----

I was overly excited to see that the cafeteria served goguma for lunch. It was a once in a week thing, the cook said. Even so, I was so happy to finally find something that I can cherish in this alien neighborhood.

I didn’t spot my “seatmate” all the way from class to the cafeteria, not even once. Not that I was intentionally looking for him or anything. He got out of the class in a hurry as soon as the lunch break bell broke out. I could only wonder what made him that hasty. But then, speaking of the devil, when I was walking over to a vacant seat in the middle of the hassle and hussle of the cafeteria, I was accidentally knocked down by someone, making me spill my food and drink all over the floor. As I recovered from the sudden impact, the sight of the irresponsible man who knocked me over made my blood boil.

“I-I’m sorry,” he tried to apologize. He grabbed my arm and tried to help me up, but I yanked his hand off me and shrugged his gesture.

“Don’t touch me!”

He paused as I yelled at him. I got back down and tried to clean up the mess on the floor.

“I-I’m really sorry,” he tried once more while slowly backing up and took off. “I’ll make it up to you!”

I cleaned the mess with hot head. All his words meant nothing to me. I picked up the tray and threw my ruined lunch in the bin. I never would’ve thought that everything could go wrong just because of one person. I spent the rest of my first day at school that way.

---

After school, I decided to ride slowly home to be able to see the neighborhood better on the way. I will be here forever from now on, after all. So I figured I might as well make myself familiar. Not far from school, I found a nice place to clear my head: a park. One of my favorite things in the world aside from goguma, was parks. Nature has its ways of clearing my mind, getting the chains of stress off my shoulders. After a while of walking down the path in the park, I settled down under a tree on a steeping ground overlooking a lake. The soft orange afternoon sky blanketed me in its brilliance. After all that happened that day, all the exhaustion suddenly hit me at once, wearing me down in an instant. I broke in tears as I pressed my knees against my chest. I just wanted to get back to how things were, with eomma and appa and Yoona eonni. Everything would be fine if they were here right now. Everything would be fine.

“Hey,”

A voice interrupted me. I wiped my tears off before looking up to see who it was. Instead of his face, the first thing I saw was his hand offering me one whole steamed goguma in front of my face.

“I noticed you were going to eat goguma for lunch, before I accidentally, um, knocked you down. And, uh, sorry about that…”

I looked up and met the eyes of the last person I wanted to be with right now. But instead of making my blood boiled, his apologetic smile gave me warmth, almost like the afternoon sun that was setting any minute now. I wanted to shrug him off. I wanted to yell at him and tell him to leave me alone. But I was too exhausted. And I couldn’t hide behind these tear stains. I was exposed to him. It was too late to act tough, to lie to myself again. He’d seen me in my weakest state.

“Here, I bought this for you. Come on, it’s always better when it’s still warm.” He offered his goguma again.

Not having the strength left to do anything else, I accepted his offer. Then it just hit me how hungry I actually was. I didn’t get to eat lunch and so I haven’t eaten anything since breakfast. I gobbled down the goguma, ignoring the heat that could’ve just burnt my mouth. I didn’t realize that he was staring at me eating in amazement until it was too late. He burst in laughter at how I took down half the goguma in just a few seconds.

“Hahaha, I didn’t know there’s anyone who could do that,” He said. “You must be really hungry or really passionate about goguma,”

As I swallowed, I replied him. “Both. After all, who was it that made me this hungry?”

“Yeah. I’m sorry. But I told you I’d make it up to you. That’s why I’m here. I just want to start things over…”

I didn’t know how to respond. As I thought about it, he never did anything bad to me. That time in the cafeteria was an accident, I could see that. Maybe he wasn’t so bad after all. Maybe he deserved another chance.

“It was an accident, after all. Anything can happen on the first day of school, right?” I replied.

Then I witnessed the most bizzare thing that had happened all day: he smiled. Not the apologetic smile like before or a sinister smile, but that of a kid whose parents finally agreed to buy him a toy that he always wanted. It was content, and full of satisfaction, as if his efforts finally bore him fruit. I never understood guys, and I didn’t think I will ever with him.

“Wait, how do you know I was here? Were you stalking me or something?” I suddenly realized.

“Oh, no. Not quite. I always go here everyday after school. And when I found you here, I went to that stall over there to buy the goguma. I saw this as a chance to properly fulfill my promise,”

“You didn’t promise me anything…”

“I did. I said I’d make it up to you,”

His words suddenly felt warmth. I couldn’t believe he actually hold on to his words. He was giving me the attention I hopelessly hoping between all the silences between us during class, even more than I deserve. And suddenly everthing I saw about him changed completely. I no longer saw him as a threat and an intruder to my personal space. Now, I’d gladly open a door to let him in.

“Oh, yeah I forgot,” he reached his shirt pocket. “I found this and plucked it off the stem absentmindedly on the way here. I didn’t know what it was either. I just think it’s pretty. Maybe it can make you feel better. Here…”

He handed me a small, and a little shriveled, pink flower. I didn’t realize it at first, but when I did, I was actually very familiar with it.

 I stared at the flower in admiration. “T-thank you…”

“So…truce?” He then offered me his hand.

“Yeah,”

Silence took over after that. Both of us just sat there enjoying all the view and warmth a sunset could offer. When it was finally getting dark, he got up and offered his hand to me.

“It’s getting dark. I don’t want you to get home so late. Come on,”

I, with my mind still elsewhere, absentmindedly said something out of context.

“Hydrangea…”

He was taken aback. “Uh, what?”

“The flower. It’s a hydrangea,”

“Really? Wow, I don’t know much about flowers, but I never heard about that,” he replied.

“It’s actually pretty common here, we just don’t call it that much,”

“I see. Well, it’s one pretty flower you got there,” he replied, his hand still reaching down for me.

I took his hand and got up, accepting his suggestion of accompanying me all the way to the apartment as it was getting so late. Before we walked out of the park, he suddenly stopped pacing and turned to me.

“I just realized we haven’t even known each other. So, what do I call you?”

I chuckled. I just realized it myself. We already felt so comfortable with each other that we forgot to go with the formalities.

“Yeah, hihi. I’m Seo Joohyun. But people back home used to call me Seohyun. Nice to meet you,” I bowed to him. “Mister…?”

“Ah, it’s Yonghwa. Jung Yonghwa-imnida. Delighted to meet you, too, Seohyun-sshi,

“Hihi, okay Yonghwa-sshi. Let’s go home. I’m not familiar yet with this neighborhood so I might get lost if it’s becoming too dark,”

“Haha, don’t worry. The Yonghwa Express will take you safely to your destination on time! With no extra charges and a free refreshment!” His hand reached up to the top of his head as if tipping a hat.

I laughed at his child-like behavior. “Choding!”

Never have I ever felt this way all my life, but he was the only thing that consumed my thoughts that night.

 

-------------------------------------

Author's Note:

And so there goes my first written fanfiction and its epilogue that should have been a prologue (lol). It's been fun writing this fic although I almost abandoned it in the middle. But in the end I'm grateful that I could do this fic justice and finish it up. It is far from awesome like those fics out there and in here in aff xD but I'm feeling pretty good with this work. Of course I would not have been able to make it without my readers! Thanks a bunch guys! If I could hug you one by one I would xD call me exaggerating but what I feel now is true :D

hopefully we can meet again in other fics, but this will end Hydrangeas Bloom for now. Maybe I would make a sequel, if you guys are up to it. Who knows? But honestly right now I don't have the idea for a sequel yet. Maybe later, maybe never. Who knows? I'll keep writing tho. Hopefully you'll keep reading too xD Fighting!