Stay Close, Don't Go

Hydrangeas Bloom

Yonghwa

“Where is she?”

I didn’t see Seohyun at school today. She didn’t come to my class when the class ended for recess. I wonder what happened. She didn’t reply my texts and calls. Is she really okay? Maybe I should visit her apartment after school.

Just as my concerns about Seohyun grew, Taeyeon called from behind.

“Hi, Yonghwa. How’s your shoulder?”

“Ah, Taeyeon-ah. Well, it’s getting better. Gomawo,” I gave her a smile.

Chonmaneyo, Yonghwa. Let’s get something to eat, shall we?” she smiled back and pulled me along as we make our way to the cafeteria. On the way, we met Jessica.

Annyeong, Yonghwa! Annyeong, Taeyeon!” She greeted. “Wait…Yonghwa, where is Seohyun?”

“Um, I was going to ask you the same question… She didn’t come, I suppose.”

“I wonder if she’s okay. Haven’t you tried texting her?”

“I have and she didn’t text me back.”

“Maybe she’s sick and decided to stay at home, Yonghwa.” Taeyeon said.

“Maybe. Well, I hope it’s not worse than that. I should check on her later after school,”

“I’m coming too!” Jessica volunteered.

“I have to help my mom as soon as the school ends so I’ll pass.” Taeyeon said.

“Okay, then. Now let’s get something to eat.”

----------

[

YH: Seohyunnie, I’m going to your apartment. I want to check if you’re alright. Jessica is coming too.

SH: Ne, oppa.

YH: You didn’t reply my texts today. Mwoyeyo? Gwaenchanha?

SH: Ani. Gwaenchanha, oppa. I’m just feeling a bit cold that’s all.

YH: Do you have some medicine? Gidaryeo, we’re coming.

SH: Ne.

]

It was strange. I didn’t understand what happened but lately she’d been a bit different. She became quieter. Even though she was a quiet person, she never been this quiet especially around me. She was always cheerful around me. But for the past week she seemed different. She became even more silent when I told her how I got my dislocated shoulder. I thought maybe there was something going on about her and Taeyeon, so I avoided talking about Taeyeon with her. But that didn’t change anything, she was still quiet. I was getting worried, like, really worried. Aigo, michigetda.

Ding.

I pressed the bell. We waited for 2 minutes and there was no answer.

Ding.

Nuguyeyo?” The voice came from the speaker.

“Seohyunnie, we’re here. We’re coming up, okay?” I answered.

“Oh, oppa. Ne, arasseo.”

After that, Jessica and I went upstairs to her apartment room. Seohyun lived alone here when she transferred, said that she wanted to be a more independent woman. I often visited her to ask her to help me do some assignments or just to keep her company.

“Yonghwa, is she really okay? She seemed different lately.” Jessica said as we were going upstairs. She seemed to notice too even though she had only known Seohyun for a few weeks. Well, Jessica had grown close to us after we first met.

Ne, I’m sure she’s okay. I know her. Well, maybe you should talk to her sometimes. I mean, privately. You know, there may be something on her mind that she wants to talk about. I mean, you’re both girls so it should be easier for her, right? Who knows maybe you can make her feel better. You would probably do better than me,” I told her.

“Hmm, maybe you’re right. Okay then, I’ll try.”

Once we arrived in front of Seohyun’s room, the door was already unlocked so we came in right away. Seohyun was wearing casual home clothing and her face looked awfully pale. I quickly put the plastic bags containing medicine and food I bought earlier on the table and tend to her immediately. I put my palm against her forehead. She had a really high fever.

Omo, Seohyunnie! You’ve got a fever! Why didn’t you tell me?”

A…ani…I’m okay, oppa. It’s just a cold, it’ll pass.”

“Seohyun, you can’t just say a fever like it’s nothing. Here, sit on the couch. I’ll prepare the porridge.”

Gwaenchanhayo, oppa.” She sat on the couch with Jessica. Jessica gasped when she put her hand on Seohyun’s forehead.

Omo! We need to see the doctor Seohyun,” Jessica said.

“No, eonni. I’m okay, really,” She tried to get up from the couch and reach for the cup on the table. She looked even paler. When she took the cup to drink the water, I noticed her hand that was holding the cup was trembling. Just then, I knew what was going to happen.

“Hyun!”

I quickly went to her and caught her just in time before she hit the floor. She collapsed on the spot. The cup she was holding fell but somehow Jessica was there lying face down on the floor holding the cup.

“Hyun, wake up,” I shook her gently trying to see if she really fainted. She didn’t wake up. I immediately lifted her up and carried her to the bed. Jessica followed me while still holding the cup.

“Oh, poor Hyunnie. Why didn’t you tell me that you were sick, I’d be here right away no matter what,” I set aside a strand of hair on her face gently.

“Here, Yonghwa. Help her with these when she wakes up. I’ll go to the kitchen and prepare some food.” Jessica handed me the cup of water and some of the medicine we bought before heading to the kitchen.

I sat beside Seohyun, holding her hand. Her body temperature wasn’t cooling down. Her palm was sweating. She began to shiver and mumble in her unconsciousness. I could only put cold towel on her forehead and hope for her wellbeing. I felt sad to see her weak body helplessly lying on the bed. If only I’d known sooner.

Jessica said that she had something to attend to at her home so she put everything on the table and told me to take care of Seohyun before she set off. I nodded and thank her without leaving Seohyun’s side. Not long after Jessica left, I began to feel drowsy. It had been around an hour since Seohyun collapsed. Before long, I drifted off to sleep.

----------

“Mmhm…”

I opened my eyes at the mumbling voice. Seohyun was starting to wake up. She opened her heavy eyes and showed a shocked expression at the sight of me being on her side. Then I realized I was still holding her hand. I thought that I should let go of her hand, but I didn’t want to. I didn’t want to let her hand go. I didn’t want to let her go.

Oppa…” She said as her face turned red.

“Yes, Seohyunnie? I’m glad that you’re awake now…”

Oppa…how’s your shoulder?” She asked out of the blue.

Mwo? Ah, it’s okay, Seohyunnie~ it’s getting better. Silly Hyunnie~ I should be the one asking that question,” I chuckled.

Her facial expression remains gloomy. She took her hand off mine. She looked away as if she couldn’t face me for some reason I didn’t understand. She stared blankly at the ceiling.

Oppa…” She spoke up.

Ne?”

“Are y---“

Knock. Knock.

Before she could finish the sentence, there was a knock on the door.

“Huh? Who could that be? Are you expecting someone, Seohyunnie?” I asked her.

Aniya, oppa. You were the only ones who told me that you wanted to come here. By the way, where’s Jessica eonni?”

“She already left to attend something at her home. Could it be her? Maybe she left something. Wait here, Seohyunnie. Let me answer the door.”

“Okay, oppa.

There was another knock on the door before I opened it. I was surprised of the person standing at the other end of the doorway.

“Ah, annyeonghaseyo, hyung!”

“Jungshin? A…annyeong. Why are you here?”

“Seohyun didn’t come to school and I heard she was sick, so I came by to check if she’s alright.”

“How did you know Seohyun lives here?”

“Ah, I happened to meet Jessica-ssi on the way here so I asked her about it.”

“I see. Come in then,”

I was surprised to see Jungshin, whom I rarely heard and saw, suddenly appeared out of nowhere in front of Seohyun’s apartment room and showing concerns towards her. Nonetheless, I led him to the bed where Seohyun was. She was sitting up straight and taking her medicine. She was surprised and almost choked on the pills as she saw Jungshin following me towards her.

“Jungshin came to see if you’re alright.” I said to Seohyun. “Here, let me take those. Fruits, right?” I took the plastic bag Jungshin was carrying.

Ne, hyung. Gamsahamnida.” Then he turned to Seohyun and sat beside her.

“Jungshin…what a surprise. Um…gamsahamnida. Thank you for concerning about my wellbeing.” Seohyun said to Jungshin.

“Ah, it’s nothing, really. I heard that you were sick so I was worried.” He put his hand on Seohyun’s forehead. “You have a pretty high fever. Have you seen the doctor?”

“No, not yet. But I’ve taken some medicine Yonghwa oppa brought earlier. It should be enough.”

After I prepared the fruit platter on the table, I went to the bedroom to see how they were doing. They were chatting about things I didn’t really pay much attention. At one point, I saw Jungshin’s hand trying to reach for Seohyun’s but she immediately pulled her hand out before their hands touched. Seeing that, I felt something. I didn’t know what I really felt, but it was strange. Something was tingling inside, urging me to do something. But I had no idea what to do. I felt weird but not sure what it is.

After a while, Jungshin decided to go home, saying that Seohyun will be alright under my care. I was strangely pleased by that statement. I led him out of the apartment room.

“Thank you, hyung,” He thanked me before he left. “Take care of her for me, hyung,

“Um…Ne, Jungshin-ah. Annyeong,

What the hell did he mean by that?

I went back to Seohyun after I closed the door. I saw her staring blankly. She looked distracted.

I sat down by her side. “Hey, Seohyunnie, what’s wrong? Is there something bothering you?”

She only shook her head while still staring at nothing.

“Are you thirsty? Your cup is already empty, let me get more water for you,”

When I rose to get her water, she grabbed my arm. When I turned to face her, I found myself staring at her eyes. I never realized how beautiful those eyes were.

Oppa….don’t go. Jebal, stay here. Don’t go…” A tear dropped from her eye.

I sat back down. “Gwaenchanha, Seohyun. I’m not going anywhere. I will always be here whenever you need me, Seohyunnie~” I smiled to her, hoping that it will make her feel better.

I didn’t leave her side for even one second for the rest of the day.