A Late Afternoon Coffee

Hydrangeas Bloom

Seohyun

I was sitting on the bench near the school gate. It has been 12 minutes since the school ended but the school was still full of students, especially those who had extra courses or club activities. I watched people passing by as I waited for Jungshin.

Jungshin was in a meeting as he had told me earlier. He was the bassist in Jonghyun oppa and Minhyuk’s band. Yonghwa oppa also attended the meeting because he was asked by Minhyuk and Jonghyun oppa to replace the vocalist position in their band. I wondered if Yonghwa oppa accepted it. I would really love to see him performing. Without realizing, I smiled like a crazy person at the thought of seeing Yonghwa oppa singing on stage.

“Hey Seohyun-ah, why are you smiling like that?” I snapped out of my daydream when I heard a voice calling me.

“Uh…um…hi, Jungshin. The meeting’s finished already?”

Ne, I went here as soon as we finished. Mianhae. Sorry to keep you waiting,” he bowed.

Ani, Jungshin. It was nothing,” I gave him a smile. “But where are the others?”

“Minhyuk went right away to the drama club to attend another meeting. Jonghyun hyung was still in the room playing with his guitar,”

“How about Yonghwa oppa?”

“Oh, right. Yonghwa hyung went somewhere earlier with Taeyeon-ssi,”

“Oh…I see…” I lowered my head and sighed.

Of course, it’s Taeyeon eonni.

My phone vibrated. I checked on it and there was an incoming text message.

[

YH: Seohyunnie, I’m off first, k? Have fun with Jungshin-ah ^^ I think he’s a good guy. Take care Hyunnie~ Just text me when you get home, ok?

]

I let out another sigh. I didn’t reply the message. I didn’t want to. I didn’t want to think about Yonghwa oppa and Taeyeon eonni. For once, I just want to forget everything. Now were only me and Jungshin.

“Seohyun-ah, shall we go now? It’s getting late.”

Ne, Jungshin-ah,” I looked up to him. “Kaja,

------

I only realized my bicycle when we were already halfway to the café near the school.

Ya! I just realized! What about my bike?” I panicked.

“Hey relax, Seohyun-ah. We’ll get back to the school after this, okay? It’s not far anyway. I also leave my bike in the bicycle parking area. Just relax.” He smiled.

“Um…okay, if you say so.”

“Seohyun-ah,” he called.

Ne?”

“It’s fine to call you Seohyun-ah, right? I mean, I used to call you by your real name, Joohyun…”

“It’s been a week since you call me Seohyun-ah and I never complained, why are you asking now? Of course it’s fine…”

He laughed. “I guess you’re right. It’s just that, everyone calls you Seohyun, and it feels too formal to call you by your real name. So I thought calling you by your nickname would make me feel closer to you,”

“It’s fine, Jungshin. Really. We can speak comfortably with each other, right? We’re the same age,”

“Haha, yes. I hope that you will not only able to speak comfortably with me, but also feel comfortable with me,” He smiled.

Omo….” I panicked inside. I didn’t expect him to say that. We hardly ever had time together like this, taking a walk and talking to each other like this, and suddenly you said something like this. Eotteokhae? I couldn’t think of anything to reply that.

“Mhmm…” I could only mumble.

We finally reached the café. Jungshin told me to take a seat while he ordered for the drinks.

“What do you like?” He asked.

“Um…iced Americano, please...”

“Right, got it.” He went to the counter to order.

Eotteokhae? All this time with Jungshin was…awkward for me. Maybe it wasn’t much for him, because it was him who talked first all the way here. And I only answered most of it. I felt bad for him, but I really didn’t know what to do. Eotteokhae? Eotteokhae? Eotteokhaji? I’ve been asking to myself all the way here.

“Here, I thought about it and decided to order you a hot one instead. It’s getting late and it will be cold outside. I don’t want you to get cold. Besides, you just got better from your fever.” He handed me the hot Americano.

“That’s…so thoughtful of you. Gamsahamnida,” I took a sip of the hot coffee.

“You’re welcome. Uh, I thought we’re speaking comfortably, now?” He laughed.

“Ah, uh…yes…uh…gomawo…” I said shyly.

“Hahaha you’re so cute when you’re like that,”

I’ve heard that before. When was it? Not long ago. In the cafeteria at school. I was with Yonghwa oppa.

Suddenly I saw an image of Yonghwa oppa smiling at me. My heart beat uncontrollably.

“Seohyun-ah? Are you okay?” Jungshin’s voice broke the image.

“A…um…ne, Jungshin-ah. Mianhae,”

“You spaced out and turned red all of a sudden,” He laughed. “Aigo, gwiyeopta~”

“A…aniii…” I quickly slurped my coffee to hide my embarrassment but forgot that it was still hot.

“AAAAWWW!!! Hot…..hot……” I waved my hand in front of my mouth to cool it down.

“Ya, Seohyun-ah! Slow down! I told you I got you a hot coffee instead.” He chuckled. “Wait here, I’ll get you a glass of water,”

“Auwww….ohey….” I tried to say while still fanning my burning tongue with my hands.

Jungshin came back with a glass of water. “Here, drink this.”

“Homawo…” I gulped every single drop of water in the glass. Jungshin looked astonished.

“Wow, Seohyun-ah. That’s fast…” He stared at the empty glass. “Feeling better?”

Ne, Jungshin-ah. Thank you very much.” I could only feel thankful to him.

It was already 7pm by the time we walked back to the school to get our bicycles. When we reached the bicycle parking area, Jungshin stopped.

“Seohyun-ah,” he called to me.

Ne?” I looked back to him.

“I want to say something…”

“What is it Jungshin-ah?”

“…”

“Hm? What is it?”

“Um…joh---”

HAAATCHYUUU!!!

Before he could say anything, I sneezed hard.

“A—bless you! Omo, Seohyun-ah. Even with the hot coffee I got you, you still catch a cold,”

Anii…I’m okay,”

“I think your body hasn’t fully recovered from before. Here,” he took off his jacket and put it around my shoulder.

“Ah, really, Jungshin-ah. It’s okay. It’s not really that cold,”

“Seohyun-ah, please. I don’t want you to fall sick again,” he insisted. “Please wear this for now. You can just return it tomorrow.”

“Um…gomawo Jungshin-ah,” I finally gave up.

When I was about to get on my bike, I just realized something.

“Jungshin-ah, you haven’t finished what you wanted to say. What was it?”

“Ah, nothing, Seohyun-ah. Come on, you should go home now. You need to take a rest. I’m sorry I can’t accompany you home right now.”

“Hmm, arasseo…” I got on my bicycle. “Aren’t you going home, too?”

“I still have something to do here with the math club.”

Mworago? But it’s already late,”

He chuckled. “I know. But the math club really likes to work even this late you know.”

Arasseo…but don’t stay here very late. You should rest too.” I told him.

Ne, I will. Thank you, Seohyun-ah. Annyeong, rest well.” He smiled widely.

“Thank you too, Jungshin-ah. Thank you for the late afternoon coffee. Annyeong.” I returned his smile.

I set off outside the school. On my way home, many things were going on in my mind. I didn’t know how to respond to his kindness. I thought maybe I could return it by also giving a thoughtful attention to him. But I had a feeling that it wasn’t the right way. And then there was also that time when an image of Yonghwa oppa suddenly appeared. As I thought about it, being with Jungshin and all his kindness made me comfortable, but it felt different with when I was with Yonghwa oppa. The feeling I felt everytime I was with Yonghwa oppa, the one that made my stomach felt weird and my heart went dugeun dugeun, I couldn’t seem to find it with Jungshin. But despite that, Jungshin is very kind.

I arrived in front of my apartment and put the bike in the bicycle parking area. When I stepped in the front door of the building, I saw someone looking at the resident room list near the bell on the 1st floor. From the body figure, I could make out that it was a girl. She wore a black long coat and a black hat. I couldn’t see her face as the tip of the hat hid her face. When she turned towards the front door, facing me, she looked a bit surprised and stopped for a moment. Then she lowered the tip of her hat and walked out of the apartment fast paced, passing me by. I couldn’t see her face and I didn’t know who she could be, but when she passed by me, I felt something familiar. I wonder who could that be…

HATCHYU!!!

Aigo, I should probably be going now, *sniff* *sniff*” I kept sneezing as I made my way up to my room.

 

-------------

Author's note:

So here it is the update. Seohyun and Jungshin's "date" xD I don't know if this is a good date or not though. Hmm .__.

How do you think Seohyun feel towards Jungshin after all the kindness he's shown for her?

And what is that mysterious girl doing in Seohyun's apartment? who is she?

looking forward to your comment, and also open for suggestions so feel free :D

Also want to say manhi manhi gomapseumnida for all the subscribers and comentators!! Your subscriptions and comments really mean a lot!

I hope you enjoy~ gamsahamnida!