Banmal Song

Hydrangeas Bloom

Yonghwa

The party wasn’t much, but everyone looked happy. Taeyeon and Sunny was getting closer with Mom, while Sooyoung did nothing but eat every side dishes that were left because the meat has already vanished into everyone’s stomachs. Jungshin too was at the kitchen most of the time. He amazed my mom on how good his kitchen skill was. Jonghyun was, well, most of the time he was with Yoona.

Oppa, you’re spacing out,” someone slapped my arm playfully.

“Hmm? Ah, yeah. Mian…

“Do we really have to go outside and see the sky again for you to stop thinking about it and enjoy the moment? It’s really cold outside,”

“Hahaha, that wouldn’t be necessary, Hyun~”

She blushed. “Shh, don’t be so loud with that…” She said with a hushed voice. I could only laugh at the cute sight of her.

“Hey, if you’re feeling cold we could light the grills up again and warm ourselves with it,”

“Oh, yes. I haven’t thought about that. Come on, oppa!”

“It’s Yong~” I whispered in her ear. She blushed once again.

Once we lit up the grills in the backyard again, Taeyeon and Jungshin came from inside and joined us.

“Here you are guys, just the two of you, again,” They giggled.

Wae geurae, eonni? It’s nothing…” Seohyun answered. I could see her hiding her embarrassment.

“Yeah, you mean I can’t be with my best friend?” I added.

“Best friend?” They suddenly laugh.

Omo! Jungshin-ah, I can’t take it anymore,” Taeyeon was teary eyed by all the laughing.

“Me, too. Stop acting innocent, guys…” Jungshin too was almost literally laughing his off.

“U-uh…how long were you guys there at the door earlier?...” Seohyun asked as she lowered her head.

Taeyeon who was recovering from laughing slapped her own cheek. “Pfft. Sorry. Well, long enough to hear ‘Yong~’ and ‘Hyun~’… Puhahaha!” They laugh again.

Seohyun and I looked at each other. We could see each other’s red face lit by the fire in the grills. I was actually so embarrassed by Taeyeon and Jungshin, and yet I found myself totally lost in Seohyun’s eyes when I met them. It was not long until Taeyeon realized and snapped me out of it.

YaJeongmal! Even in front of us? You guys are really something…” Taeyeon stopped giggling and let out a long sigh. “Why don’t you guys get together already? Both of you already realize each other’s feelings,”

We stood frozen, despite the heat of the fire. I took a glance towards Seohyun, which seemed to be doing the same, and looked away immediately.

“Come on, now. Don’t be so awkward…” Taeyeon pouted.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about…” I tried to keep my cool.

“Come on! Don’t go innocent on us.” Jungshin stepped in.

“Seriously, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Seohyun fumed and blew air through her nose.

“Ah, jaemi eopseo. No fun at all,” Taeyeon shrugged. “Whatever. Come on, Jungshin. Let’s leave these lovebirds so they can finally spread their wings.” And then they left us here in the backyard.

Silence took over. Before it got more awkward, I opened up.

“Eheh…sorry about that, Seohyunnie. Don’t mind them. They’re just teasing with us.” I managed an awkward smile and chuckle. She looked at me and nodded awkwardly.

“Come on, let’s head inside. It’s getting late.”

Ne…”

We headed back inside to join the others. As we were immersed in playing UNO, someone knocked on the door.

“Wow, it’s really late. Could it possibly be Jessica or Minhyuk?”

“Well, they did say they’d come even though they’d be late. Just continue without me, I’ll get the door.” I volunteered.

As I opened the door, I witnessed something unexpected. It wasn’t Jessica or Minhyuk. It was Jessica AND Minhyuk. What really got me from the moment I opened the door was the way Jessica held onto Minhyuk’s arm. I just stood there at the door dumbfounded.

“Hello, hyung!” Minhyuk greeted. “Sorry we’re kind of late…”

“Hi, Yonghwa! Yeah, sorry we’re late…” it was Jessica.

“Kind of? It’s really late. We were just starting to think you wouldn’t come. And what’s with the ‘we’? I see that you guys came here together,” I referred to how Jessica was holding Minhyuk’s arm. “You might want to explain it inside,”

“Don’t worry, hyung. We’re up for it,” Minhyuk looked at Jessica and then ear-to-ear grins crept up their faces.

I rolled my eyes and asked them to come in. Once inside, everyone was as bewildered as I was. They started to massacre the two late comers with questions. Even with those questions gunning for them, Jessica was steadily holding onto Minhyuk.

“Calm down, guys. Let us say something…” Minhyuk said to the crowd surrounding him and Jessica. Everyone went quiet in anticipation.

“So, we’re just kind of…” Minhyuk and Jessica turned to each other.

“Together now.” They said in unison.

“But how did it happen?”

“Well, it just kind of happened. I like her, she likes me, we’re happy with each other. Why not give it a shot?” Minhyuk held Jessica’s hand.

“Since when?”

“Well, we’ve been trying to get close since months ago. But this…” Jessica pointed at her hand which was held by Minhyuk’s. “Just happened earlier in front of the house.”

Everybody laughed. Even my mom joined the laugh and complimented the two. Just then, Taeyeon tugged me with her elbow.

“Who would have thought these two would happen?” She exclaimed out loud, not sure she was talking to me or so everyone would hear her. Then she turned to me with an evil grin, winked, and said something in a hushed voice.

“…before you and Seohyun, of course.”

Ya! What do you mean by that?”

“Oh, please. You know exactly what I mean.” She winked again and went away.

“Huh, jinjja…” I let out a long sigh.

------

Despite all the teasing I received tonight, I enjoyed it very much. I was glad that everyone also enjoyed the sudden small barbeque party. My mom too was very thankful for everyone for coming and making this house merrier. And so now it was really late and everyone decided it was time to go home.

After Seohyun and I finished saying farewell to the guys, we headed back inside and went upstairs. Before we reached the stairs, Mom noticed that Seohyun was still here.

“Seohyunnie? I thought you were already back with the others.” Mom asked.

“There’s something we got to do first. I’ll go home a little bit later.”

“On second thought, I think you should just stay here for the night. You can sleep with me in my room. It’s been really late anyway. You can go back first thing in the morning.” Mom suggested.

“Yes, I think that’s right. It’s already late, Seohyunnie. I won’t allow you to go home by yourself.”

She took her time to think and finally nodded. “Mmm…arasseoyo, I’ll stay for the night.”

Mom cheered at Seohyun’s answer. She’s totally in favor for Seohyun.

------

We climbed up the rails on the balcony and sat at the rooftop under the bluish lunar light that lit up the night sky. I brought my guitar and the lyrics sheet. Seohyun was wearing my coat that was too big for her but because it was really cold outside so she did what I asked her to. Besides, she really looked cute in an oversized coat.

“So this is it…” I held my guitar properly and tried to find a comfortable position.

Seohyun screeched like those fangirls at school. “Kyaa! Yonghwa oppa so cool!”

Annyeonghaseyo. Jung Yonghwa-imnida. Today I will perform a song that I wrote some time ago. It is dedicated to someone who’s always been there for me these couple of years.”

I took a glance at Seohyun before I started my so-called performance. She cupped her hands on her cheeks as she leaned forward and rested her elbows on her thighs. Her eyes seemed to glow and her face was beaming with anticipation.

I began to finger the strings on the guitar and entered the intro. My fingers danced by themselves. My feelings began to flow into the music. As I took a glance at Seohyun, my heart raced like crazy.

The day when I first saw you

Your bright smile full of shyness

we’ll get closer after today

Every day, I have heart-fluttering expectations

 

What to say to you

How to get you to laugh

I fear it’ll get awkward when I try to hold your hand

All I can do is smile shyly

 

Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other

Even though it’s still awkward and unfamiliar

Instead of saying ‘thank you’

Talk to me in a friendlier way

 

Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other

You walk towards me slowly, step by step

Now look at my two eyes and tell me

I love you

 

The day when I held your hand

I felt my heart stop beating

I don’t even remember what I said

All I feel is a flutter in my stomach

 

Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other

Even though it’s still awkward and unfamiliar

Instead of saying ‘thank you’

Talk to me in a friendlier way

 

Hopefully we can speak banmal to each other

You walk towards me slowly, step by step

Now look at my two eyes and tell me

I love you

I reached the instrumental bridge. I took a glance at Seohyun and saw the widest and sweetest smile I have ever seen. It made my heart race even faster. My stomach fluttered. Feelings flooded my whole being as I put those feelings into the song. And then I saw her eyes getting watery. I couldn’t think at all. All these feelings I was letting out through the song have taken control of my body.

Before I finished the instrumental bridge, Seohyun snatched the lyrics sheet from my side. I couldn’t do anything to stop her. I could only continue the song.

Hopefully we can fall in love with each other

I’ll never let go of your two hands from my grasp 

The light of your eyes, gazing at me

I hope there will only be joyful smiles

 

We can probably fall in love with each other

We can lean on one another and take care of each other

Looking into your eyes, my two eyes

They’re talking to you

I love you

Seohyun didn’t make any sound or movement. Her only reactions were the sweetest smile and a small bead of tears flowing down her cheek.

“It’s the most beautiful song I’ve ever listened.” She said, still smiling. Was it only me or she did seem to be holding back the tears?

Her smile was irresistibly contagious and I couldn’t help but smile and chuckle.

Gomawo…Hyun~”

“But in this lyrics sheet, the last chorus that you sang is not here…”

“That’s because…I lied. The song wasn’t finished.”

“What do you mean? You clearly sang that part with no problems at all.”

“No, I didn’t really sing that part. My heart did.”

I smiled to her. I saw more of her tears flowed down. I didn’t think she was holding back anymore, and then I thought it was time for me to let it all out too.

“My heart doesn’t need to write the lyrics on a piece of paper to express how it’s feeling.” I said softly.

“I meant every word, every letter, in this song. And all those words are dedicated to you and only you, Seo Joohyun.”

Tears flowed even more out of the corner of her eyes. She then hugged me very tight and made my heart leaped out of my chest. The warmth of her body I’ve been longing for. I let go of my guitar and put my arms around her tightly but gently. Before I realized it, a drop of tears escaped through the corner of my eye.

“I’m sorry for not realizing these feelings before. I’ve been searching everywhere and yet the one I need has always been next to me all this time.” I said as I tightened my embrace.

“No, oppa. Don’t be.” She said between her sobs. Her cracking voice was muffled as she buried her face in my coat.

“You mean so much to me. I have lost my best friend once before and then one by one my loved ones were gone too. I was left all alone. When I thought I’d lost it all, you came into my life and brought new colors into my life. You picked me up when I was down and you supported me until I could finally stand up once again.” She tightened her arms around me and sobbed harder.

“You mean so much to me and I don’t want to wish anything other than to always be by your side.”

I held out her face and wiped the tears on her cheeks. I smiled as I was mesmerized by the two shimmering eyes on that perfect face. I couldn’t describe what I felt in words. My heart jumped everywhere. My head was flying over the earth’s atmosphere.

I took another embrace before breaking it out to see the moonlit sky. The moon was full and beautiful and mesmerizing, just like her eyes. There was something magical in that glowing ball of light. We were drowned in the breeze and showered ourselves under the lunar light.

As I took a glance at her, she looked tired behind those tearstains. I then tugged her and offered her my shoulder. Replying with a smile, she leaned and put her head on my shoulder and before long, she dozed off. I took a quick glance again at the night sky and then back at Seohyun. The view down here is as beautiful as the one up there, I thought. I her hair and removed a strand of hair to reveal her face. No, the view is perfect down here.

“Seo Joohyun, saranghae…

 

-----------------------

Author's note:

Annyeong readers!

Back with a chapter here ^^ I think this chapter is what you've been waiting for, isn't it? Well, it is what I've been waiting for too kkkk

There's also the first appearance of HyukSica xD I actually ship HyukStal because of 'Heirs' but as I don't include any other groups other than CNSD in this fic so I put Minhyuk with Krystal's sister xD

Sorry that it took me long time to update this fic because I'm so busy with college stuff >< mianhae

It's been fun writing this fic, not to mention it's my first fic ever. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Thank you once again for reading this fic! Gamsahamnida!