ℂhapter 40

Go Away, Mr Idol | Editing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  ✽✽✽   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
     chapter forty      it’s okay to be not okay.

   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    ________________________________________  

Director Wan was busy reviewing the jam-packed schedule BTS had for the upcoming week when there was a knock at the door. “Come in,” she permitted. Her secretary for approximately three and a half years now entered with a stack of folders in her arms.

“These are the files you requested.” She reported as she placed them on the corner of her superior’s desk.

“Thanks, Yongchul. I really appreciate you coming in on such short notice. Were you able to confirm the tickets for the flight?” The older woman questioned, her gaze still fixated on the sheet in front of her.

“It’s no problem. I called the airline today and everything is all set.” Yongchul assured. “Is there anything else I can do for you?”

Director Wan finally looked up, a small gasp escaping her lips. “Actually, if it’s not too much to ask, do you think you can pick up my daughter from ballet practice for me? I don’t think I’ll make it in time since I have to be in a meeting soon. It completely slipped by mind.”

“Of course I can.” Her subordinate replied. “I’m here to make your life easier. It’s my job.”

A grateful smile sprawled across the mother’s face. “Where would I be without you? You’re honestly the best secretary I could have ever asked for. It’s the same place you went to last time. Her class ends around five. My husband should be home by then so you could just drop her off after.”

“I understand. If that’s all, I will take my leave. Work hard, director.” As quietly as she could, Yongchul closed the door and returned to her desk. A minute later Arang arrived.

The visitor bowed courteously. Respecting those older than her was a must. Although the woman was thirty, she still had a youthful face. If Yongchul hadn’t disclosed her age, Arang would have thought she was born only a few years before her.  “Secretary Yun, is the director in?” She asked politely.

“Hello, Arang.” Yongchul beamed, craning her neck to look at the younger girl across from her. “She’s preoccupied at the moment, but I can call her and tell her you’re here. I’m sure she could spare a few minutes for her son’s girlfriend.”

“Would you really? That’d be great.” Arang glanced around while the woman informed her boss about their guest.

“Okay, I will send her in.” Yongchul returned the phone to the receiver and smiled at the girl. “You can go in.”

“Thank you.” She stated before she entered the office.

“What brings you here today, Arang?” Director Wan stood up and walked over to the leather sofas positioned at the center of the room. She gestured the girl to follow her.

Arang sat down and pulled out a thin envelope from her bag. “It’s about the money,” she breathed.

The woman pursed her lips out while her eyebrows knitted together. “What about it? Was it not enough for you?”

“No, that’s not it.” She shook her head and placed the check onto the coffee table. “I don’t think I can accept such a large amount of money. It—it doesn’t feel right. When you said you’d pay me to pretend to date Taehyung I didn’t think it would be this much.”

“But you’ve earned it. It’s not easy to do what you’ve been doing for the last couple of weeks. Aren’t you starting college soon? Use the money for books and other expenses you might incur.” Director Wan advised, pushing the envelope back towards Arang.

“I have money saved up.” She replied as she slid the envelope back. “Can’t you write me a new check for half the amount? It’d feel less burdensome for me.”

Director Wan came up with a compromise. “How about this, why don’t you just take this check and consider it an advancement. You won’t receive another payment for the next two weeks. Sounds fair, doesn’t it?”   

Arang gave the suggestion some thought and hesitantly accepted.

“Good.” The elder sang. “I know this is last minute but since you’re here, I might as well tell you now. My husband, Taehyung’s father, really wants to meet you. I’ve been giving him excuses but I’m running dry. So I promised him I would have you over for dinner so that he could get to know you better. It’s bound to happen sooner or later, right?”

“W-what?” Arang stammered with her eyes widened. “You mean you didn’t tell him?” She balked.

“How could I? For a long time he thought that Taehyung was gay because he had never showed any interests in girls. You should have seen how happy he was when he found about the two of you. I couldn’t bear breaking his heart. My husband is an understanding and compassionate man, who loves his kids to death, but there are just some things he wouldn’t be able to wrap his head around. If you’re free tonight, it’d be wonderful if you came over with Taehyung. It’s been a while since he’s been home as well. It’d be nice to have everyone there.”

What was she supposed to do? She wasn’t prepared for this. It was already hard enough having to deceive her own family and now she had to scam Taehyung’s? It was a miracle that Arang hadn’t gone completely haywire yet, especially with everything that’s been going on. She gulped down the saliva in and flashed Director Wan an awkward and uncomfortable smile. This was not what she came for. What had she gotten herself tangled up in?

In the elevator, Arang dialed Taehyung’s number and sighed. He didn’t answer. Her head fell back and rested against the metal wall behind her. Then the shaft s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter