Flight

A Chance to Change the Past
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi, everyone! Thanks again for all the subscriptions and comments!

Here's the next chapter! Hope you guys like it :)

“I can’t believe they talked me into this,” I muttered in annoyance, pacing back and forth across the room. Though, to be honest, annoyance wasn’t even the dominant emotion in me right now. It was fear.

“Will you stop walking around like a crazy old lunatic and just sit down or something?” Junsu rolled his eyes in slight exasperation from his seat in the front row of chairs as I passed him yet again.

“I can’t help it! It’s a nervous habit! I move around when I’m stressed!” I cried out, half hysterical.

“Really? I haven’t noticed,” Junsu said sarcastically, before just hiding his face again behind the magazine that he had been ruffling through, leaving me to just resume with my pacing.

It was early Monday morning and we were in a private waiting room in the airport, about to get into that private jet that would take us to Korea.

And I was covered in cold sweat about that prospect.

The weekend had passed quite quickly, full of plans on what we have to do when we get back to their home country and on which legal aspects they would have to ask lawyers to look into first. The “” of the past weekend had been during Saturday night when their manager had unexpectedly arrived again, causing me to be stuffed unceremoniously into that goddamn bathroom once more as well. Their manager had the unpleasant knack of surprising us by showing that he could show even more anger than the boys’ last encounter with him.

That night, their manager sounded to me like a raving rhinoceros, because the boys didn’t show up for that recording. According to Junsu, who had explained to me what exactly had been said after their manager had left, their manager had given numerous threats about ending their careers if they carried on that kind of “unprofessionalism”. So, the boys had better present themselves in front of their manager and Avex on Monday afternoon. Or else.

And yet we’re now in an airport, about to fly off to Korea, despite their manager’s orders.

If their manager was going to be angry with the boys for not showing once again, he’s going to get even angrier when he finds out that the stars that he's "looking after" had just suddenly flown back to Korea. Without even telling him.

So, here we are now, risking the anger of their management once again, waiting for Yunho, who had gone to check about our plane with his private pilot friend, to come back.

Yoochun was sitting a couple of seats apart from Junsu with headphones on, seemingly just listening to music. However, I noticed his foot tapping, giving away his anxiety as well. I guess I wasn’t the only who just can’t keep still when nervous. Though I get the feeling that Yoochun’s restlessness has more to do with what we’re about to do when we get to Korea. My restlessness has to do with the fact that I’m about to get on a flying death trap.

Changmin, on the other hand, was sitting at the very last seat at the very last row, really apart from the rest of us. He was looking out at the huge one-way glass wall at his right side that gave us the view of the airport’s runway, lost in his thoughts again. Though I could have sworn that I’ve been seeing him throw glances at me and my pacing now and then…

Huh…

Meh, I was just probably annoying him with my pacing. Oh well.

At that moment, the door to the room opened and the leader came back in.

“Okay, I’ve just talked with my friend,” Yunho said as he removed the sunglasses and scarf that was covering his face now that he was in the privacy of the room again. “He says that the plane will be ready in less than an hour and we can board it then.”

“Brilliant,” I said sarcastically, back to my borderline hysteria again, about to resume my pacing that I had stopped when Yunho entered the room.

“That’s it!” Junsu snapped, unable to take my pacing anymore. Before I could take a step to walk on some more, he grabbed my hand and pulled me down into one of the two seats between him and Yoochun. “Sit down!”

“Ow! Hey! That hurt!” I complained as my landed unexpectedly on the seat. Hard.

“You’re making me nervous too with your pacing!”

I pouted at Junsu and gave him a playful shove.

“Will you two stop it with your childishness?” Changmin’s highly irritated voice sounded from behind us.

Really, why the hell does he get so freakin’ mad whenever I interact with Junsu?

“Will you stop it with being a snarky pain in the ?” I retorted as I scowled back right at him.

Changmin’s eyes narrowed a bit and he opened his mouth to answer back, but Yunho cut him off.

“Start arguing again and you two are really going to get it from me!” the leader warned us both with a glare. “This is not a time for one of your fights!”

Then, he paused as his eyes suddenly darted around the room, just noticing something now.

“Where’s Jaejoong?” he frowned as he realized that his lover was not in the room with us.

“He left as well shortly after you did,” Yoochun replied. “He was saying something about having to check with someone or something like that-“

Just then, the door opened again, and Yunho’s other half joined us once more.

“Hey, there you are,” Yunho said, putting an arm around Jaejoong’s waist. “Where have you been?”

Then, he noticed that Jaejoong seemed to be in a bit of a distress. “What’s wrong?”

“Erm… we kind of have a bit of a problem,” Jaejoong said carefully, biting his lip.

“…what problem?” Yunho said blankly.

“Well, it's not really a problem, per se… more of just a complication, actually.”

“What’s up, hyung?” Yoochun asked, frowning.

“Sooyoung is joining us in our flight back to Korea.”

The boys’ eyes widened. Mine just narrowed in total confusion.

“She is?” Yunho said, surprised.

“Yeah,” Jaejoong sighed as he sat down on the vacant seat between me and Yoochun. “She just texted me a while ago, asking when we are going to go back home. I can’t really lie to her about when we’re going back. I’ll never hear the end of it from her when she finds out, you know guys know how she gets… Anyway, so I called her and told her we’re actually at the airport now, about to go. She wanted to know which flight we’re taking so she can see if there’s still free seats that she can take at the last minute. So, I had to tell her that we were going to take a private jet…”

“Did she ask why we were taking one instead of a usual commercial plane?” Yunho questioned.

“No, not really. It made her pause for a bit, though, so you can bet she’s going to be asking about it when she gets here…” Jaejoong frowned in anxiety. “What are we going to tell her? There’s no way in hell she’s about to go and tell SM on us, of course, but we can’t just tell her about our plans to file a lawsuit, can we? But she’s going to want to know why we’re sneaking off from manager hyung…”

“Hang on, forget that for a moment. I think the more urgent question is how are we going to explain to her about Erin?” Junsu asked, looking anxiously at me.

“We just stick with our old story that she’s our new personal assistant, that’s all,” Yoochun shrugged. “Besides, doesn’t Sooyoung already know Erin as that, anyway?”

“Oh yeah…”

“Wait, wait!” I interrupted, unable to take this confusing conversation anymore. “Who is this Sooyoung? And why does she know about me already?”

“Sooyoung is one of my eight elder sisters, the youngest among them actually,” Jaejoong explained. “She was the one who dropped off those clothes for you during your first morning with us. Remember that? I told her we needed some clothes for our new personal assistant, because we just had to suddenly drag you away with us in a rush... She’s also here in Japan because she’s looking to start some business here. Now she’s coming back home with us.”

“Oh, right…”

“Sooyoung says she’ll be here in about 20 minutes,” Jaejoong told us all. “She was packed and ready to grab some last minute flight before she contacted me anyway, so she said she’s going to head out here as soon as she hanged up on me…”

Great, as if I needed something else to stress about. Apparently, I’m soon about to meet one of Jaejoong’s sisters. As their personal assistant.

Go, me.

In what seemed to be no time at all, the door to our private room opened once more. A tall, pretty, and very fashionably dressed woman entered.

“Where’s my favorite little brother?” Sooyoung said.

“I’m your only little brother,” Jaejoong pointed out as he stepped forward to hug her.

“I know. But if I had four other brothers, you’d be in top five,” Sooyoung seemed to say cheekily.

“Ha. Ha. Ha,” Jaejoong said dryly as he squeezed his sister tightly once more before letting go.

s seemed to find the whole exchange quite funny, though, because they were trying to hide their snorts of amusement. Quite unsuccessfully, if I may add. Meanwhile, I was just surveying the whole exchange in confusion.

“Oh, Sooyoung, this our new personal assistant that I’ve been telling you about, Erin,” Jaejoong then introduced us. “Erin, this is my most gorgeous sister, Sooyoung.”

Sooyoung shot her brother a look at the obvious teasing exaggeration in his tone, before smiling at me and offering her hand. “Hello, Erin. Nice to meet you.” (A/N: yes, I know I’m just writing here as if they can just codeswitch suddenly and speak English this fluently, which might not be the case, I'm not really sure about it, but let’s just pretend here that they can, okay? XD)

“Erm, nice to meet you, too,” I replied, standing up to shake her offered hand and smile back at her tentatively. “Oh, and uhm, thank you for the clothes…”

“Oh, don’t mention it. It was nothing,” she said, waving her hand and smiling even more widely at me. Then, she look at her brother and s again and raised an eyebrow at them. “So…?”

They all squirmed uncomfortably at her scrutiny, even Changmin at the back.

“Er, so what?” Junsu said in a tone even higher than his usual one as I sat back down beside him.

“What are you five up to?” Sooyoung asked bluntly, her eyebrow still raised.

“We’re not up to anything,” Jaejoong denied at once.

I rolled my eyes. Talk about being so obvious, oppa.

“So, then, why are you all suddenly heading back to Korea? I thought you told me before that you guys would still have activities in Japan lined-up after your concert, Jaejoong?"

"Erm..." Jaejoong seemed to be scrambling in his mind for something to say.

“Uh, there’s been a company emergency?” Junsu squeaked out as more of a question.

Sooyoung turned to Junsu then. “Well, where’s your manager, then? Shouldn’t he be with you, if it’s a company matter? And the rest of your staff, too, now that I remember? Aren’t you guys always with practically a battalion of SM staff whenever you go to an airport?”

Gosh, Jaejoong’s sister sure is sharp.

“Erm… we felt like going ahead?” Junsu tried again.

I had to stop myself from facepalming.

Junsu really had no idea how to make-up believable excuses!

I looked frantically at the other members, trying to tell them with my eyes to in and stop Junsu from talking. Right now. I mean, why the hell are they letting Junsu out of all of them –poor, innocent, naïve Junsu- do all the talking right now?

“Uh-huh,” Sooyoung said. It was quite obvious from her tone that she wasn’t buying any of it. “And another thing, why are you guys using a private jet this time?”

“Oh, that’s because of Erin,” Junsu answered brightly, seemingly pleased that he could answer something right this time.

On my other side, Yoochun wasn’t able to help himself and he actually facepalmed.

Good god, Junsu! You’re my closest friend among all of you, but god, I really wanna strangle you right now! Draw more attention to the unusualness of my presence here, why don’t you?

“Because of Erin?” Sooyoung repeated, looking at me, somewhat surprised. “Why?”

“She doesn’t have the right documentation, so she can’t take a regular commercial flight. So, we’re getting a private jet instead,” Junsu said as brightly as before.

Junsu, I will kill you! I thought in my head, half highly irritated, half disbelieving at Junsu’s… simplicity.

Jaejoong and Yunho joined Yoochun in facepalming, and from the slapping sound I heard from the back, Changmin had probably done the same as well.

“How did she get here to Japan in the first place, then?” Sooyoung frowned in confusion.

“Er…”

Now he was speechless! My god, Junsu!

“That’s okay, Junsu oppa,” I said suddenly, coming up with a sudden inspiration. “You don’t have to cover for me.”

I turned to Sooyoung. “I really do have proper documentation. Er, Junsu oppa was just trying to make up some excuse on my behalf because he worries that you finding out the truth would embarrass me.”

She gave me a curious and questioning look so I carried on, “Uh, flying terrifies me, so Yunho oppa thought it would be better to just contact his friend who’s a private pilot to see if he could find a jet for us to rent. You know, so that it might make me feel better about flying and all that, since if I do have a panic attack, well, there won’t be other passengers to witness me embarrassing myself… This is really very, very nice of them, actually...”

God, I need another acting award for this!

I had learned a long time ago that excuses were most believable if there was some truth in them, after all.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter