The Man's Secret Wish

3.6.5

Journey 41

The songs of the crickets filled their evening as gentle wind swiftly blew from the opened window. "So tell me more about the things I've missed." Chanyeol said while he continuously Jinri's hair later that night. 

Jinri snuggled closer to Chanyeol and breathed his scent. God she missed his smell. She missed how she was comfortable  lying in his arms. She missed sleeping beside this giant alien. She felt so happy she was afraid it was just a dream. But even if it is, then she'd still grab the chance.

"Well, you missed our graduation. Kyungsoo was summa laude on their college."
"I should send him my regards then." Chanyeol smiled.
"You're six years late." Jinri chuckled. "Then Kyungsoo also ended up with Luna by the end of our third year. What you saw earlier was their wedding, not mine."
"Silly me." Chanyeol laughed.
"Yes, silly you" Jinri agreed. "Joonmyeon was the best man and I am the maid of honor, so... you get the idea."
"But why were you on the white car?" Chanyeol pouted. "My heart really stopped when I saw you wearing a long white dress."
"You said it yourself babo. A long white dress." Jinri laughed. "Luna wears a gown. She was so nervous before the ceremony so she asked me to come with her."
"Oh" Chanyeol scratched his head. "Well I'm still glad that you and Joonmyeon aren't back together. What else?" Chanyeol pressed on.
"Mmmm... Amber is teaching history; Luna and Kyungsoo had a music store; Kyungsoo has a sideline which was writing fantasy books; Joonmyeon was a doctor, I am a researcher and..." Jinri trailed, her smile fading.
"And?" Chanyeol prompted.
"And you missed my mother's funeral."

There was a long pause after that. Then Chanyeol whispered.

"I'm sorry."
"Don't be. I know she's happy with God."

Chanyeol smiled and remembered Lay. He knew, from the depths of his heart, that his friend is happy too just like Mrs. Choi.

"Let's sleep now shall we princess? I'll sing you a lullaby."
"I'd love that."

[Author-nim suggests you click this LINK!]

* * *

"Oh man Jinri isn't really lying! You're here!!!" Kyungsoo shouted as Chanyeol opened the bedroom door. He blinked a few times and realized that it was Kyungsoo who was grinning from ear to ear at him.
"Kyungsoo!!!" Chanyeol bro-hugged his old friend.
"Chanyeol!!!" Kyungsoo responded with the same ecstatic tone.

Jinri chuckled as the two man hugged each other for the longest time.

"Lunch is ready." she said.
"Lunch?!" Chanyeol yelped. "How long was I sleeping?"
"Almost 11 hours." Jinri laughed. "I guess that's because you were Exo-lagged. Haha. Get it?"

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

"Okay that is one corny joke Jinri."
"Well I'm not really a comedian like you." Jinri retorted.
"You don't have to be a comedian to pull out a joke. You just need to have a stack  of humor in your brain." 
"Are you telling me that I don't have - !"
"Okay that's enough." Chanyeol cut in. "Why don't we have some lunch together eh? I missed this kind of set-up."

Kyungsoo eagerly sat down the chair. He laid his chin on the ball of his palms and narrowed his eyes at Chanyeol.

"What?" Chanyeol asked, realizing Kyungsoo's stare.
"You know... It has been nine years since we last saw you. Did you also stay for nine years in Exo?"
"No. I stayed for three months."
"Heol." Kyungsoo left his mouth hanging open. "I will never understand our planets' differences."
"Neither do I." Jinri agreed. "Here Chanyeol, I prepared aaaalll your favorite meals."

Chanyeol's face lightened up as he dug his favorite Jinri-special made beef stew. Jinri sat beside Chanyeol and adored how he eats, not even missing how his cute little lips curved upwards while he tasted the beef.

"Ah poor Kyungsoo." Kyungsoo sighed dramatically. "Now that Chanyeol is here, he will not have a pint of attention from his own best friend."
"Speak for yourself." Jinri scowled, tearing her eyes away from Chanyeol.  "You were the one who always leave me alone whenever you had a date with Luna."
"I was in love okay?" Kyungsoo defended.
"And so am I."

That was the end of argument, with all grins plastered across each of their faces.

* * *

Two weeks later...

"So after nine years, you finally showed up you rascal!" Amber chortled and playfully whacked Chanyeol's head - although she managed to only reach his ear.
"Heh. Sorry guys." Chanyeol scratched his head awkwardly.

Luna leaned on Kyungsoo's shoulder while she frowned at Chanyeol.

"You missed our wedding though. All my friends are supposed to be there."
"I'm sorry." Chanyeol apologized again.
"Hey dude, I'm curious though. Where the heck have you been? Because Jinri's not saying a word to us. Ever." Amber chirped in.
"I was... uhh... sick. And I uhh... flew."
"Where?" Luna and Amber chorused.
"To Hong Kong? They have the best medical care you know." Chanyeol looked at Kyungsoo for approval who nodded in return.
"So did Hong Kong also do your face?" Luna inquired interestedly.
"HUH?"
"Did the medicines in Hong Kong also do your face?" Luna repeated. "I mean, it seems to me that you haven't aged since we last saw you! You look like a young bachelor in his early twenties Chanyeol, while I, on the other hand, look like a matured and married woman in 30s!"
"You made it sound really bad pumpkin." Kyungsoo pouted.
"Omo! No no no. It's not what I meant muffin! It's just that - look at his face!" Luna pointed at Chanyeol. "He doesn't even shows signs of aging!"
"Yeah... Hong Kong do the work." Chanyeol answered to end the topic soon.
"Wow. Your cousin's really rich Jinri." Amber said.

At that exact moment, Chanyeol and Jinri let go of each other's hands which they were secretly grasping under the table.

"Yeah... cousins..." the two muttered silently.

* * *

After a long day of reunion event, Chanyeol and Jinri decided to go home. They laid beside each other under the moonlight and stared at the winking stars above them.

"I missed Kai and Luhan." Jinri sighed. 

Chanyeol stiffened instantly and waited with bathed breath.

"Of course there's Chen and Baekhyun too. I really really miss them Chanyeol. Can't they visit us here?"
"They're busy." Chanyeol briefly replied.
"Then can you transport us to Exo and visit them instead?"
"I can't." Chanyeol shook his head. 
"Why?" Jinri frowned, sitting up. "You went there before, can't I too?"
"No." Chanyeol sat up too. "Whether there is war or not, Exo is always a dangerous place for you Jinri."
"Enlighten me then." Jinri asked patiently.

Chanyeol sighed and raked his hands on his hair in frustration.

"Human aging is predictable. You age every 365 days so you were able to count your birthdays and your age. But us exotics aren't that. We age indefinitely. We don't count our years. We just grow. But not because we can stay young for a long long time in Exo means we can stay young in Earth too. Your planet is different, and so ours. Which goes to say that if you come to Exo, then you might die instantly because of old age. Because Exo is not the right planet for you to grow."

Jinri's frown deepened as she tried to absorbed Chanyeol's information. Chanyeol waited patiently for her to understand the real cause why he doesn't wants Jinri to go to Exo. He prayed that she'll understand, that she'll accept whatever she'll find out next.

"Then..." Jinri said slowly. "If I'll die in Exo because of old age... Then isn't it the same with you too? It's been nine years since you left us Chanyeol. I don't know how long was that equivalent to Exo but..." Jinri met Chanyeol's eyes, dreading the next sentence. "But why are you still young then? Are you hiding something from me?"

Chanyeol pulled Jinri into a warm embrace and kissed the top of her head.

"I'll tell you one brutal story of life Jinri. Once upon a time, a prince and three of his friends were betrayed by a man they treated as a brother."
"Chanyeol what -"
"Ssshhh. This traitor turned out to be really a brother of the prince, and he locked all his former friends in a cellar."

Jinri listened intently on Chanyeol's story, taking note of every hint of pain in his voice.

The night lengthened as Jinri listened all the while to Chanyeol. She will gasp loudly and shook her head unbelievably while Chanyeol continued to unfold his life in Exo. When Chanyeol reached the part when all her questions are answered, all she can do is cry. Cry not because of happiness, but cry because she's afraid of what will come next.


Heh, a little bit of Kyungsoo-Luna moment. XD
Just in case you're interested: 
Red Strings [KyungNa fic]