The Teenager Surrounded by Questions

3.6.5

Short chapter for today but essential on the story as well. :))
Dedicated to
@diahlicious.


Journey 31

Spending her summer vacation had never been this fun for Jinri. At the start of April, the Do family and Jinri went back to Busan, tagging Chanyeol, Luhan and Jongin with them. Meanwhile, Jinri informed her mother about her break up with Joonmyeon and introduced Chanyeol as her new boyfriend. Mrs. Choi doesn't mind though. In fact, the moment she set her eyes to Chanyeol, she already liked the man.

After at least a two-week stay in the Choi residence, Luhan and Jongin decided to part ways and do personal stuffs for their own siesta. Kyungsoo and his family have their own agenda too. So that leaves Chanyeol, Jinri and Mrs. Choi.

"Don't you kids have any plans for vacation too besides staying here?" Mrs. Choi asked one dinner time.

Chanyeol and Jinri met eyes. The truth was, they have. But they don't want to leave Mrs. Choi alone too.

"Well... our ideas are extraordinary to be frank umma..." Jinri answered tentatively.
"Let's hear it." Mrs. Choi grinned.
"Chanyeol had this idea of visiting the slums in Middle East and some parts in Asia. You know, offering a hand to the needy?"

Mrs. Choi considered it for a moment.

"And do you have the money? You have to take flights back and forth and more money for your aids."

Jinri and Chanyeol planned on using Chaneyol's teleportation powers for their travel so it can lessen their expenses. But Mrs. Choi doesn't know any of these.

"We saved up a fair amount." Jinri lied. 

In the end, Mrs. Choi had convinced Jinri and Chanyeol to continue their plans. So after another three days of stay, Mrs. Choi accompanied Jinri and Chanyeol early in the morning towards the terminal to "avoid missing their flight"

"Here - I packed bentos for you in case you get hungry and this home-made tea that you want sweetie." Mrs. Choi said. "I also packed medicine if ever you get jet lagged and some peppermints to chew while you're waiting."
"Thank you Mom." Jinri said, touched by her mother's care. She hugged her mom and planted a soft kiss on her cheeks. Then before they can say more parting words, their "flight" was called.

When they were sure that Mrs. Choi was out of sight, Jinri and Chanyeol turned the other way around, towards a place where there was no one but them, and teleported in Africa.

It was Jinri's most extraordinary vacation. Their visits on panic-stricken, hunger-driven villages on different sides of the Earth exposed her to the reality that behindher comfort zone, a new world badly needs care and affection which she was too blessed to have.

Jinri and Chanyeol's hearts were broken when they saw the number of dehydrated and underfed children in the streets, the old people with wounds that were left to be infected because of lack of medicine, the victims of typhoon who has nothing to rely on but their strive for survival.... It only takes courage, passion and devotion to keep themselves on providing aids to the needy without tearing up.

"It's because of a documentary I watched in NatGeo." Chanyeol said. "We'll get to the romantic dates some other time, don't worry." he winked.
"I'm not worried." Jinri smiled. Really, she's not. In fact, after she witnessed the survival of the less fortunates, she would prefer to donate the money they would use on their dates for the needy instead.

Because it makes her happy. And Most of all, because she's doing it with Chanyeol.

* * *

June arrived too fast. Classes were resumed. Jinri was on her third year in college while Chanyeol was on his second. Krystal had somehow gotten over her infatuation on Chanyeol after summer, but she was obviously setting her eyes on Jongin instead. Luhan was still loved by everyone. Amber, Luna and Victoria still loved Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo still chooses to love himself. Joonmyeon was discreet but there were times when Chanyeol would catch him staring at Jinri. Bambi still barks angrily at the exotics. And Ann Li was still a single, middle-aged woman with no interested man on her.

Then July was closing to an end too. SMA students were preparing for their midterms. Jinri and Chanyeol go on frequent dates. Kyungsoo and Luna started composing songs together. Kyungsoo and Victoria's club gained new members (very surprisingly). And Krystal attempted to get herself closer to Jongin.

"Please Jinri! He's your friend. You can arrange a date for us right? How about a lunch date? Study date?"
"You two are not even in the same course Krystal." Jinri said.
"Oh come on?" Krystal pouted. "Pleaseeeeeee?"

Jinri sighed exasperatedly. It was a huge relief that Krystal's not into Chanyeol anymore and their friendship was back again, but it was annoying that she was pestered with continuous pleas regarding with Jongin too.

"Fine. I'll do my best." she smiled.

She can't shun her away. Krystal is her friend after all.

So when Krystal bade her goodbye, Jinri sat next to Jongin who was taking almost the same classes as her.

"You're too close." Jongin grunted when Jinri's elbow grazed his arm.

Jinri moved a little farther from him.

"How about this?"
"Better." he smirked.
"Kai, I have a question."

Jongin simply waited.

"Don't you have any love affairs for the past 54 years in Earth? Do you want a date?"

Jongin wrinkled his nose.

"It never even crossed my mind."
"Why?' Jinri tilted her head curiously.
"Love...." Jongin knitted his eyebrows. It was like he was finding the right words to say. "is a strong emotion. Really strong."
"Of course it's strong." Jinri replied in an obvious tone. "What else?"
"Love...."
"Good morning class." their instructor barged in.
"Good morning sir." the class chorused.
"....is dangerous." Jongin said silently and disappeared behind his book. Jinri raised an eyebrow at him for further explanation but Jongin seemed declined to offer some.

* * *

On Saturday, Jinri invited her exotic friends and Kyungsoo on her apartment so they can have a little hangout. They locked Bambi on the pole near the parking lot so they won't hear her angry barks at the presence of three aliens on her place. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol volunteered to buy their snacks and drinks, which leaves Jinri alone with Luhan and Jongin.

"I'm thinking of Million Dollar Baby starring Jackie Chan. What do you think?" Jinri asked, holding out the DVD in front of Luhan's face.
"Okay." he smiled. "It's about two men taking care of a baby, right?"
"Yes." Jinri chortled. "It kind of reminds me of Chanyeol's nuisance when he was still a baby. That's why I picked it"

Jongin reached for the DVD and smiled.

"Let's watch this then." he agreed.
"Come to think of it..." Jinri glanced on her wall and looked at the number on her special calendar. "Today is Chanyeol's 359th day."
"Aha!" Luhan clicked his fingers, his eyes shining excitedly. "Let's celebrate his anniversary in Earth on his 365th day."
"Great idea!" Jinri agreed, grinning too. "I'll bake him a cake. Oh I need my Mom so I can ask for her help..."
"And I can decorate the apartment too!" Luhan volunteered.
"And I'm going to sleep." Jongin yawned. "Are we going to watch this or what?"

They played the movie without Kyungsoo and Chanyeol. Jinri and Luhan were in the middle of their laughter while Jongin was in his usual poker face when Jinri remembered something.

"Kai." Jinri said suddenly. "You told me last time that love is dangerous. Why did you say so?" she asked.

Jongin averted his eyes from the screen and focused it on Jinri.

"Because it is."
"You need to be more specific." Jinri said patiently.
"Do you know how old I am?"
"Mm-hm. In Earth you must be 54 years old. But you are still 19."
"Yes. And exotics shouldn't be that way. We age fast when we're in Earth. But I don't. Can you guess why?"
"No..." Jinri answered slowly.
"Because... I don't have a vessel."

Luhan snapped his head towards Jongin but Jinri just blinked innocently.

"A what?" she asked.
"In other words..." Luhan explained. "He moved himself as far as he can away from any human emotions."

Jongin nodded.

"Simple as that. I don't feel anger. Jealousy. Bitterness. Love."
"But you were happy." Jinri reasoned out. "I can see how your eyes shine whenever you're with us Kai. You're happy with us."

Jongin furrowed his eyebrows.

"It's strange how I never get older then. I theorized that if I ever feel one human emotion, I would have aged."
"Maybe your happiness must not have been strong enough?" Luhan guessed. "Let's go back to the movie, can we?"

Jongin and Jinri nodded and refocused their attention on the screen again. But Jinri's thoughts were flying away. Questions were bothering her. Things that she never paid attention before.

Simply put, Jongin hasn't answered Jinri's orginal question.