Epilogue

3.6.5

...

"You're not leaving me again." He tightened his grip on her hands and kissed them desperately. For thirty-two years, he cared her, lived as her new husband and loved her for the longest time. Alas, it seems she would soon fade away from him, just like... that man. And now he'll be the one left alone. With a broken heart.

"Are you angry at me?" Jinri breathed weakly. She felt really tired. She wanted to sleep. But she tried to stay awake just for this man who never leave her despite of all these years. Joonmyeon deserved better than that. Even if she can't give him her heart anymore.

Joonmyeon stared at Jinri's eyes intently. He looked deeper through her, remembering that unforgettable night.

 

It was chaos in the hospital just like every other day. But that night was a shock, after he saw Jinri running inside while clutching an old man's hand desperately. She was crying, and he knew who can make her cry like that. The patient was rushed into the ICU and he followed the rest of the nurses. Jinri doesn't seem to notice him at all. He looked back, and he saw her pleading on the nurse to save the man inside. Chanyeol. She shouted that name.

But how could that be? The last time Joonmyeon saw Chanyeol, he looks younger than anyone of them. But Jinri called the old man as him. Was that coincidence?

Joonmyeon hurried inside the operation room. He was very curious about this man. He wanted to confirm his suspicions.

And as he neared towards his patient, he knew he was right all along.

Those angelic eyes that never changed even from old age. There was no doubt that it belongs to Chanyeol, the man he was jealous of all this time.

"J-joonmyeon." Chanyeol reached out his hand. Joonmyeon grasped it tightly with shaking hands, not believing the mystery that has just unfolded in front of him. "Listen to me."

"We need to treat you first Chanyeol." Joonmyeon said. He nodded to the nearby nurse and the nurse gave him his gloves. He reached towards it but Chanyeol gripped his hands tighter, a surprising energy from a fragile, old man.

"This is urgent. Please... don't l-let Jinri follow me no matter what."

"What are you saying?"

"I-if I die.... don't let her waste her life for me. Protect her. Care her. Let her live her remaining years just like what a human does. Promise me."

"Why -"

"Promise me." Chanyeol's voice was more urgent now. As much as Joonmyeon can't understand the situation, he can still grasp the main idea that Chanyeol feared Jinri would commit suicide after he dies. And he himself wouldn't allow that.

"I promise Chanyeol. But why are you telling me this?"

Chanyeol thought that answer was obvious. But he still told Joonmyeon.

"Because you're the next man who loves Jinri as much as I do."

Joonmyeon was left in shock. The nurse nudged him back to his senses, and he gathered all his thoughts again. They need to hurry. This is an emergency. 

After Chanyeol's last phrases, Joonmyeon proceeded on saving the old man's life to his utmost power. Even though he loves Jinri and wants her for himself, he still wouldn't let her cry if Chanyeol leaves her so soon.


But now it was Jinri who was leaving her .

"I'm not angry. I... I'm..."

"You've been on my side forever Joonmyeon. I can never thank you enough for that." Jinri smiled and gently squeezed Joonmyeon's hand. "But my body is weak, and so is my heart. I want to rest."

Joonmyeon did not reply. He was afraid that if he would do so, his voice would just crack and he would cry uncontrollably. He bowed his head and choked back his tears. He would save them all for later.

"I love you Jinri."
"Thank you for loving me."

No "I love you too". It has always been like that. Joonmyeon stood up and averted his eyes from her. He his heels and went outside the room, leaving Jinri behind the closed door. It was the end of that. He knew it. And he's heartbroken all over again.

Jinri sighed sadly, tears falling from her eyes. She tried to love Joonmyeon again, but it was hard for her when all these years... it's always him.

She pulled out Chanyeol's black pearl and kissed it softly. 

*Bring me to a place where dreams come true. A place where Chanyeol and I can love forever*

And just like Chanyeol, Jinri... literally faded away.


As to where that place where age, species and status don't matter... to that place where our two characters can love forever...

 

Only Chanyeol and Jinri would know.



**Hi guys. So, it was such a long journey, isn't? This fic is my longest story as well. I'm really sad that I have to say goodbye here, and to you all, but I hope that at the end of the day, you still appreciated my work.

Please leave comments below. It's the most important for me as an author. Especially if you were a silent reader, I hope I'd get to hear some feedbacks from you. I've poured all kinds of emotions in this story for seven months so I hope you'd at least let me know your thoughts.

You can also subscribe or vote if you want to, but the decision is still yours. I am not forcing you. :) Just leave a comment if you would... again, please?

Thank you for staying with me until the end! Let's see each other on my other fics! 



XOXO,
TwinTowers


Check out my other Chanlli fic!

Title: The Alternatives 
Characters: Chanyeol, Sulli, Kai
Pairing/s: Chanlli, Kailli