The Kid's First Crush

3.6.5

Journey 14


"Here's your coffee! No cream!" Kyungsoo laid the cup beside Jinri who was busy poring over her book.
"Thanks" Jinri muttered without looking. Then she flipped the page and started reading another set of paragraph.
"The Constitutional Background of Republic of Korea" Kyungsoo read over Jinri's shoulder. "Pffft! Boring!"
"Then you can leave me alone. Thanks for the coffee again." Jinri suggested and took a sip on her cup.

Kyungsoo left Jinri alone and started walking around her apartment. He poked a sleeping Bambi on his way around then stopped on the hand-made calendar that Jinri did months ago. After studying the piece of paper, he took a marker from Jinri's table and drew a large "X" on number 68 placed on the month of October.

"It's your 68th day and you're all grown up my Chanyeol." Kyungsoo sighed.

Chanyeol grinned across the room and continued munching his doughnut.

"I know hyung. And a handsome one, am I?" he answered cockily.

Jinri rolled her eyes behind her book.

"Yes, too grown up if you'd ask me." she snarled.

Chanyeol chuckled and popped the last piece of doughnut on his mouth.

"Noona just can't accept that I've used my toy car for only a week. " he explained to Kyungsoo.
"Which costs 106,928 won if I may remind you." Jinri continued. She flipped another page on her book but with force this time. She was still feeling bitter that she was able to spend money that high only to be used by a kid for a week.

Kyungsoo smirked and glanced at his wristwatch.

"Tell you what kid? If you don't want to be late for school you'd better catch the bus right now."
"Oh shoot!"

Chanyeol jumped from his chair, grabbed his backpack, tried to kick Bambi and ran towards the door. Then he stopped midway and looked back so he can waved at Jinri.

"Bye noona!"

Jinri stuck her tongue out in response. That was another thing that she was getting bitter of - Kyungsoo was able to persuade her to enroll Chanyeol in FX Academy wherein the gifted kid can attend classes on any year level he desires. Kyungsoo debated that Chanyeol needs to associate himself with people other than Jinri and him and that he was too gifted to not use it on school. In the end, Jinri was forced to spend money again and support Chanyeol on his new school far from their town to avoid suspicion from their neighbors. 

What do Kyungsoo and Chanyeol think of her? A girl with tons of money????

* * *

Chanyeol hopped inside the bus just in time before it leaves the terminal. His new school was an hour-long travel and he was way far from his destination, but he can't help feeling excited. Thanks to his gifted mind and undeniable charm, he was able to loop past the needle of requirements needed on FX Academy. All he need to do is live his life to the fullest and have fun.

* * *

He can see the silhouette of the school even at a 500 m distance. He unlocked the windowsill and pushed it upwards so that the mighty wind can enter the enclosed vehicle. Chanyeol closed his eyes and let the breeze swept his hair while the loud swishing of wind whispered past his ears. Ah, that's what he means by living free.

As the bus passed a small bakery on the sidewalk, Chanyeol sniffed a strong aroma of freshly-baked doughnuts from it and he immediately opened his eyes.

"Stop!" he shouted louder than necessary.

The bus drove into a halt as Chanyeol hopped down the bus. He ran towards the bakery and eyed the sweet-coated bread from the display window.

"One please! No - make it two!" he asked the baker.

While he was waiting for his order, Chanyeol glanced ahead and studied his new school from afar. The distance from the bakery and FX Academy was a walking span so he can see the unmistakable structure of the small-town school. Judging from it, he can jog his way towards the school without getting late for his first class. Perfect, everyday morning exercise.

"Here's your doughnut." the baker grunted.
"Thanks ahjussi!"

Chanyeol started jogging his way towards the school while he eats his sweetened bread. He saw the guard scrutinizing him as he entered the front gates wherein he responded with a friendly wave. The guard looked shocked at the sudden recognition and he gave a small, hesitant wave back at Chanyeol.

* * *

"So Mr. Park Chanyeol - how old are you?" Ms. Han, FX Academy's head administrator, asked.
"12 Ma'am." he answered.
"And you came from?"
"Seoul."
"Then why did you choose to study here in Cheongju?" Ms. Han inquired with a sharp tone.

Chanyeol showed his small, flattering and innocent smile which created a spark in Ms. Han's eyes.

"Because FX Academy has the best program for gifted kids Ma'am. At least that's what I believe." he said smoothly.

He can see that Ms. Han was either impressed or flattered with his answer and he was sure that it would be the end of questioning. True enough, Ms. Han stood from her chair and offered her hand.

"Then welcome to this academy Mr. Park. May I know what class you'll choose to attend?"

Chanyeol shook Ms. Han's hands briefly and thought.

"Perhaps in 6th grade Ma'am. So I can be with my classmates of the same age."
"Good choice then. Here's your schedule and your key to your locker. Your first class will start in 10 minutes so you can leave this office now."

Chanyeol bowed politely before walking outside the office. He took his time studying the hallways, the classrooms, the bulletin boards and so were the girls until he reached his first class.

His new classmates stayed silent for a while as soon as he stepped inside the room. Being the oblivious man that he was, Chanyeol took no notice to the dozens of eyes following his every move. Even when he settled himself on the only available seat and his classmates were still looking at him, Chanyeol stayed unperturbed by them.

Then, one kid dared to ask -

"What's your name?"

And that was when everyone instantly approached him - with much enthusiasm from the girls - and throw their own questions at him.

"Are you new?"
"Where did you come from?"
"Do you have a girlfriend?"
"Err....." Chanyeol uttered.

Suddenly, the bell rang and Chanyeol's new classmates reluctantly went back to their seats. Chanyeol wondered why he was given such a warm welcome by his classmates. Then, his seatmate whose name he doesn't know, answered his unspoken thoughts.

"FX Academy rarely receives new students here, so welcome here man." he said. "I'm Lopez." he continued.
"Ahh..."
"Anyways, you see that girl over there? The one with pink ponytail? That's Minyoung. I think she has a crush on you."
"Crush?" Chanyeol tilted his head confusedly at the sound of the word.
"Yeah man, where are you? Haha. It's when a man likes a woman, it's that simple." Lopez answered.
"How do I know that I like a woman?" Chanyeol pressed on.
"Well... your heart beats fast and you'll blush if she smiles. It's a thing when sparks fly whenever you look at her.."
"How do you say to a girl that you have a crush on her?"
"Dunno... Say that you like her, I guess." Lopez answered nonchalantly.
"So do you have a crush on Minyoung?"

Lopez blushed instantly and looked away. Fortunately, he was saved by their teacher entering their classroom.

* * *

Chanyeol pondered over Lopez's words even on his way home. 'You'll blush if she smiles...' he remembered Lopez saying. 

He faced the girl sitting beside him on the bus and gazed at her unblinkingly. The girl slowly looked at him, then locking eyes with Chanyeol, they stared with each other longer than necessary. Finally, the girl cleared .

"Yes?" she asked.
"Can you show me your smile?" he asked directly.
"What?" the girl laughed, showing her smile unintentionally. When she realized what she'd done, she quickly closed .

Chanyeol frowned at the girl.

The bus stopped suddenly and Chanyeol stood up. The girl looked like she wanted to say something to him but hesitated. Instead, she just gave Chanyeol a small wave and a smile.

"'Till we meet again. I guess."

Chanyeol flashed his signature innocent grin which cleared the smile off from the girl's face.

"Bye." he grunted before he hopped down the bus, leaving the girl thunderstruck.

Chanyeol decided to buy ramen packs on his walk towards home. After a few minutes, he reached the apartment only to find Jinri sleeping soundly on her book The Constitutional Background of Republic of Korea as a pillow.

"Noona, wake up. I buy ramen." he informed, sounding like ramen was the best thing in the world.

Alas, Jinri remained asleep and so Chanyeol proceeded on boiling down the noodles all by himself. Although he was a complete amateur with cooking utensils, he still tried to imitate how Jinri worked her masterpieces on the kitchen. First, he heated the pan; then placed a cup of water on it; sloppily sliced the vegetables while he let the noodles soften under the boiling water and did some finishes. After all, he was a talented kid - there's no impossible thing that he can't do.

Besides forgetting how to use hand gloves.

"OWWW!!!" Chanyeol yelped as he touched the burning pan with bare hands. The pan crashed loudly, splattering the newly-cleaned floor with freshly-cooked ramen everywhere and splashing Chanyeol with hotter liquid.

"Owww!!!" he yelped again after the soup brought contact on his legs and arms.
"What happened?!" Jinri awoke suddenly and ran towards the kitchen. She took one quick glance at the mess then to Chanyeol before she proceeded on grabbing a damp towel and rubbed it on Chanyeol's blistered arms.
"Don't you know that the kitchen is my territory? Don't use it unsupervised." Jinri muttered, holding Chanyeol's hands and rubbing it with the towel. "Look what happened to you."

Chanyeol tried to gulp the lump from his throat as he paid more attention on how Jinri's hands felt soft against his. He watched her silky skin   touch his burnt arms and although it hurts, he let the pain subside from Jinri's touch. His heart accelerated faster and he can't remember when was the last time his heart beats loudly like that. In fact, it was his first time, and his adrenaline was rushing high.

Jinri glanced at the now tomato-red Chanyeol and laughed.

"What? Do you have a fever or something? Why are so red?" she asked, flashing her sparkling white teeth in front of Chanyeol.

Chanyeol can swear that his blush deepened if possible. He looked slowly at Jinri's lips - which he never did before - and noted that her lips were red, moist ones that must have tasted heaven if kissed.

"Hey kid? Are you sure you're okay?" Jinri asked.

Chanyeol nodded his head then shook his head after. "Noona..."
"What?"
"I like you."