The Man on the Last Crescent Moon

3.6.5

Journey 38

Chanyeol willingly led himself back in the cellar.

"Prince Yeol!" Chen and Baekhyun shouted, relieved that they finally saw their prince.  Out of the five of them, they were the only ones Luhan left unscathed for the day.

But Chanyeol walked past them without a glance. When he reached his favorite spot, he fell down on his knees.

"I'm a murderer." he whispered hoarsely. "I couldn't look at myself for being like Luhan."

Chen and Baekhyun looked at each other hesitantly. They had painstakingly witnessed the arena fight earlier and it broke their hearts seeing their fellow EKs killing each other. It hurts more when their own prince killed their own kind. They can't tell Chanyeol that it was okay because that was a lie. Nothing is okay in their situation.

The iron door opened again. Two EM guards pushed Sehun and Jongin roughly, which the two had no more strength left to oppose. They both fell instantly on the floor, breathing heavily.

Chen and Baekhyun hurried towards them. Their heavily-tortured friends were so fragile that Chen and Baekhyun was afraid that they might accidentally break Jongin and Sehun's bones.

"We need Lay." Baekhyun said desperately.

Jongin was barely breathing. His eyes were covered with yellow and blue bruises that blinded his vision. He can only open his eyes with the tiniest fraction. His wounds had all reopened and his back was searing with fresh blood; Sehun was concussed. Tao had made him a human drumstick and it was his head that was badly hurt; Chen and Baekhyun looked at them hopelessly, not knowing what to do.

Finally, the iron door cracked open and Lay entered the cellar. His eyes bulged seeing Sehun and Jongin's worst cases. He ran towards them and without further ado, he started healing them.

"This is too much." he mumbled but everyone caught his words. "This is getting out of line."
"Please save them." Chen pleaded. "You're our only hope Lay."

Lay did not respond but he moved faster. It seems like he was so desperate to heal the two of them at the same time but he ended up healing Sehun faster. Chanyeol watched Lay on the corner, looking at his friends' state. It's all his fault-

"Hey... Ch-chanyeol." Jongin breathed rasply.

Chanyeol met eyes with Jongin.

"D-don't you dare to blame yourself again..." Jongin added. "If you do.... If I am not this w-wounded... I swear... I'll dig my fist in your face."

Chanyeol laughed unamusedly and shook his head.

"But everything is my fault -!"

Chanyeol yelped and clutched his nose, blood dripping from it. He looked up and glared at Lay who had punched him.

"There Jongin. I had punched him for you." he said and went back to his work.

Jongin laughed weakly. "Thanks bro."

Hours dragged by as Lay continued treating Jongin and Sehun in silence. Chen and Baekhyun would occasionally hand the ointments that Lay asked for while Chanyeol could only watch. After what seemed like hours, Lay wiped his sweaty brows and sighed.

"They need to rest for at least two weeks so they can fully recover." he gathered his things and stood up. "I need to go now. The distraction I gave on the guards was not enough for me to stay here overnight."
"We understand." Baekhyun stood up too. "Thank you Lay. We appreciate your help."
"It's the most I can do." he replied and shook Baekhyun's hand. He glanced at Sehun and smiled sadly. "Take care of him will you?"
"We will."

He nodded at Chanyeol who looked away hesitantly. When Lay closed the door, Jongin sat up and crawled towards Chanyeol.

"What are you doing Kai? Don't move. It's not good for you." Chanyeol said.
"I know, but you have to listen to me first." Jongin answered seriously. Chan and Baekhyun took this as a cue to let the two friends talk in privacy. They ushered Sehun on the opposite side of the wall and tended on him.

Chanyeol sighed, knowing where this conversation would lead them.

"I just can't stop blaming myself Kai." he admitted. "I feel weak to be a prince. Maybe Kris was right. I was too full with human emotions."

Jongin shook his head and placed a brotherly hand on his shoulder.

"Sometimes, you have to look at your weakness as a strength Chanyeol. Look at us. What do we have in common?"
"We're exotics?" Chanyeol guessed uninterestedly.
"Well besides that." Jongin rolled his eyes. "Look -  we are brothers. We have a bond. We are friends. We are allies. Can you see what I'm pointing out?"

Slowly, Chanyeol's lips curved upwards. It was his first, genuine smile since he landed in Exo.

"And that's what the EMs don't have." Jongin grinned. "Don't be too hard on yourself brother. Understand?"
"I'll try."
"Don't try. Do it." Jongin smirked. "I need to rest. Good night."

Chanyeol watched his friends settled in the cold, stone floor and fell asleep. When the loudest snore from Baekhyun rang, Chanyeol closed his eyes and traced his tattoo.

"What should I do Father?" he whispered. It was the first time he tried talking to them, and he felt so alive. "Mother, please give me wisdom. Give me a way to reach for my people."

He enjoyed the silence that engulfed him after his prayer. He continued tracing his tattoo while his mind wander on the arena fight earlier. The brother's blood had dried on his hands. He did not have the opportunity to wipe it clean because of shock. He then made a mental note that he will clean his hands the moment he wakes up the next day.

He remembered the innocent boy's terrified eyes; the shepherd's determined face; the brother's look when his twin died; and the pain from all the EKs' eyes. It was like each one of them were toys to manipulate and trashes to dispose. Exo is better than that, Chanyeol thought. Maybe Jongin was right: that he shouldn't be too hard on himself. Because when he himself had given up, then what could his people do too?

Save us Prince Yeol. Save us.

I believe in him. I have faith in our prince!

Chanyeol started and looked wildly around their cellar. His friends were sleeping soundly behind him and there was no one else awake besides himself. So where the heck did he hear all those voices?

He leaned on the wall again and continued tracing his tattoo.

One day, we'll be fine. One day, Exo will be saved.

There it is again!

Chanyeol looked at his tattoo in bewilderment. Do tattoos usually had this power? How much more powerful can this gets?

Then he laughed - yes, Chanyeol actually laughed. He was so grateful to the heavens and to his parents because he had his prayer answered. A way to reach his people. This is his answer.

For the third time, Chanyeol traced his tattoo and closed his eyes. He did not use his mouth to speak his words but rather used his heart. And he knows that in order to open his heart for his people, he needs to love.

*Then love it is* he thought. *Listen, my people of Exo...*

* * *

"Can we do this tonight?" Jongin impatiently demanded.

Three months had passed and the tension was getting heavier. Their plan was reviewed again and again to spot any flaws. Mistakes are unacceptable. This is one crucial opportunity when things would make or break their planet. And as usual, Chanyeol shakes his head whenever Jongin suggested this.

"Our seeds will reap in time Kai." 
"I badly want to kick Tao's face." Jongin grumbled.
"And I will always remind you that -"
"-revenge is not the best idea. Yeah, yeah. I know." Jongin finished sarcastically yet it made him smile. He was glad that Chanyeol was back to his old self, only more serious and mature this time.
"Hey Kai! Help here please?" Chen called out, holding a large box that Lay provided last night. Jongin aided Chen and together they squished the box behind a secret hole they personally made for hideouts.
"Lay is such a talented kid. You know, how he was able to think and make this kind of hidden spot." Chen remarked.

Chanyeol smiled and went back to the quill and scraps of tree papers he managed to sneak out. He kept on scribbling words until he made a capital letter "J" which made him stop. The letter reminded her or Jinri which kept him on wondering how she was doing now.

And once again, he found himself not being able to think straight when it comes to her.

Prince Yeol.

Chanyeol started and immediately touched his tattoo.

*What is it Dongwook?*
There's... a problem.
*Tell me.*
I overheard Tao saying to Xiumin that Luhan was planning to hang you in public by the next crescent moon!

Chanyeol's finger slowly slipped from his tattoo, absorbing Dongwook's information.

Prince Yeol? Prince Yeol are you still there?

Chanyeol gathered his thoughts and recomposed himself.

*Yes Dongwook. Thank you. You did well.*

"Listen up." he announced without hesitation. Everyone looked at him. "We're going to change plans. We're doing it next week."
"Finally." Jongin rejoiced while Chen, Baekhyun and Sehun their lower lips nervously.
"If all ends well..." Chanyeol grinned at his friends. "Then I don't get hanged."

* * *

It was the perfect night for the EMs. Everyone dashed excitedly in the massive arena but instead of challengers that will fight for their entertainment, there stood Chanyeol at the middle of it. He was standing above a high platform tall enough for everyone in the vicinity to see him; and a looped rope hang a little above his head. Chanyeol stared at the rope and checked his heart if he was afraid. And he's not. In fact, he felt at peace.

Meanwhile, the EMs jeered as they urged the guards to quickly hang Chanyeol. Chen, Baekhyun, Sehun, Jongin, Lay, and the rest of the EKs all wore a scared but determined faces. Before this night ends, Chanyeol had promised everyone freedom. But before they get that freedom...

"We need to trust each other first." he kept on reminding his people. "And vowed to protect each other, for we are all brothers and sisters and we should love everyone."

And that's what all the EKs and Lay think right now. They trusted Chanyeol enough for them to look him straight in the eye even when his death sentence was hanging right in front of him.

We can do this Chanyeol.

Hang in there our prince!

We're here beside you! We won't leave you!

"Tonight, the time has come to end the little hopes of our slaves!" Kris shouted amongst the crowd, bringing Chanyeol back to Exo. "We know that this is all of a sudden but then again, who doesn't love surprises, right?" Xiumin, Lay and Tao appeared behind Kris.
"YES!" the crowd answered.
"And we want this prince to get hanged soon, right?"
"YES!"
"And we can start it right now, how about that?"
"YES!!"

Chanyeol smirked and looked up to the sky. It seemed a long time ago when Luhan had described to them how Exo was like. For once he told a truth - that the stars are too near to them that he can almost reach them. That Exo is semi-gravity. That it was a home to the exotics. Chanyeol wondered... if Luhan had ever considered Exo as his home. If he had considered King Iyo as his father...

*Father. Take care of us now.* he thought and closed his eyes, feeling the sudden fierce breeze that slapped his face.

"Any last words Prince Weakling?" Kris sneered.

Chanyeol has his eyes still closed and his smirk painted on his face. He shook his head no.

"Too scared?" Kris guffawed. "The hanging ceremony will be in honor of our King Luhan. Our king?"

The EMs cheered loudly as their ringleader approached the platform calmly. Luhan had his malevolent eyes stuck on Chanyeol's peaceful face. His body was aching to see his blood, he really couldn't deny that. At last... after years he lost to count... he can finally had his last revenge.

"Actually." Chanyeol chimed in, which made everyone silent. "I do have my last words."

He opened his eyes and his smirk grew wider.

"I want to tell all EMs how foolish you are to kill those EKs. They were your own kind. They were your power. And since you let one power after the other go, then you lost the opportunity to win against us."

Luhan frowned at Chanyeol's message.

"Black pearls are soooooo handy, isn't my dear people?"

Then in a split second, all men and women EKs who committed themselves in war brought out black pearls. They all wished simultaneously, and weapons burst out of midair. The EM guards were caught off guard as the EK warriors launched their own attacks at them. Someone cut the ropes binding Chanyeol's wrists. He immediately dug for his own black pearl and wished for the power barrier to get destroyed. When his wish was granted, the black pearl vanished with a faint 'pop'.

"This is chaos! Luhan, should I go after the prince?" Kris demanded as panic raised on him. "Luhan?!!"

Luhan was still in a blank, emotionless face but his eyes gleamed red. He looked calm but Kris, who knew Luhan longer than anyone of their friends, knew what Luhan was bursting inside.

"There is no way all those scums managed to get hold of those black pearls without help." Luhan growled, his lips barely moving. He watched the EMs and the EKs clashed each other, noticing how his own army was struggling from the EKs' force. "We have a traitor in our midst."

Xiumin looked around his friends nervously while Kris' jaw tightened. Tao merely looked unconcerned.

"Can I go now King Luhan? I need to finish my business with that Kai."
"Go." Luhan permitted. He glanced swiftly to where Chanyeol was. His half-brother was already gone.
"And I told you how much I hate mistakes..." Luhan added, his palms balling into tight fists.

And in one blink, the spear that Kris was holding seconds ago was floating directly at Lay's heart.

"Xiumin knows how much I hate idiots like him." Luhan hissed dangerously. "But I hate traitors more!"
"Luhan don't! He's our friend -!" Kris started but it was too late. The spear had already pierced Lay's heart with no second to spare. Xiumin and Kris cried Lay's name while Luhan pushed the spear deeper in Lay's chest.
"NOOOOOO!!!!" Sehun wailed from nearby. Xiumin snapped his head towards Sehun's direction and blocked him. Sehun tried to push Xiumin away.

"Get out of my way! Your friend just died, can't you care about him more?!" he snarled.

Luhan's eyes slithered as he saw the hesitation on Xiumin's eyes. He withdrew the spear from Lay's chest and started to throw it at Xiumin but then tight arms grappled his neck from behind. He looked around just in time to see Chanyeol's fearless eyes boring into his.

"Let's spend some time together, shall we? Brother to brother." Chanyeol growled. Then all of a sudden, he and Luhan vanished in thin air.