The Baby and Jinri

3.6.5

Journey 2

With her hipbone cracked twice, her walk slowed and her breathing heavied, all Mei wanted to do was to rest and sleep. However, with Prince Yeol in her arms and their stomachs empty, resting was the last thing they can do. And so she dragged herself outside the dumpsite and walked farther north - towards the city lights.

After what seemed like hours, they finally reached the urban place and Mei was so sure she's about to collapse sooner or later. She wandered around the city and proved her theory she formulated earlier - they were in South Korea. 

Scrutinizing every Koreans they passed, she searched for the best person to seek help with. If there was one thing she was proud of besides her brains, that's her highly-reliable instinct. It was as if she can see black and white auras amongst people, and from there she can guess if the person she was talking to was reliable, mysterious or useless. That was why she was selected as King Iyo's right hand - because he knew she can trust her instincts and decisions.

Finally, she stopped in front of an old woman selling street foods. She looked 5 years older than Mei, plump, and hunch-backed. When the old woman saw Mei and Yeol, she smiled kindly at them. White mist seems to surround this old woman.

Mei relaxed.

She bowed at her and asked,

"Do you mind if you take care of us for a few days?"
"No, of course not. Besides, I live alone." the woman answered.

 

And that was where Mei and Prince Yeol lived for the next two months.

* * *

"...every full moon at midnight, the ragged, old woman will always strikes on that dark, narrow alleyway, with a baby in her arms. She will lure you into her trap... she will make you pity her and accept the baby, but beware! For the baby was the rogue one, and it will your happiness and strength... and youth and blood..."

Krystal whimpered.

"And the next thing you know? You're dead." Victoria ended dramatically, making the silence heavier and scarier than usual.
"R-really?" Krystal squeaked.

Victoria nodded glumly. "My mother's friend who knows this person whose friend's friend's friend and boyfriend -"

"And the list goes on." Jinri cut. She tutted at Victoria and rolled her eyes. "Seriously, horror stories at this time eonnie?" she asked skeptically.

"Thanks for ruining my story Jinri." Victoria scowled. She shook her head and turned to Krystal. "We'll continue the story some other time okay? With a Jinri-free room." then she winked at the poor kid and turned to face Jinri again. "Going home now?"
"Yep." Jinri answered. She blew her bangs and swung her bag. "I still got loads of homeworks to do."
"Ok, take care then. Remember to watch your back though, it's almost midnight, and it's full moon too! The odds of seeing the old lady are high!" Victoria warned, making Krystal cowered more.

Jinri laughed and rolled her eyes again. "Don't worry Krystal, The Tales of the Old Lady and the Rogue Baby is not true." she assured.

"Says who?" Victoria challenged.
"Says me." she answered. "It's fantasy eonnie, that's why it's called tale." 
"And they say ghosts and spirits aren't real too. But look at those possessed persons on news -"
"You and Kyungsoo should hang out more. You two believe on weird things."
"Aish so narrow-minded." Victoria muttered. "Just go Jinri, or you won't be able to catch the last bus."

Jinri waved at her workmates and went outside Blu Planet, welcoming the cold breeze of August.

Tonight was busier than usual for her, Victoria and Krystal. One of Blu Planet's loyal customers decided to spend his birthday in the pub and booked the whole night for his friends, co-workers and family to enjoy. It was tough, but definitely it was fun.

Blu Planet was a restaurant owned by her boss and senior Victoria. They were both studying in SM Academy, the prestigious university in Seoul with great reputations and outstanding graduates.

Jinri found herself staring at the bright, round moon in its fullest form. Remembering Victoria's tale, Jinri chuckled to herself and checked the time.

"Tsk. I still a few hours to do my homework."  Jinri muttered. "I can at least take the shortcut." she said, finally turning right instead of taking her usual left pathway.

* * *

Mei knew that the luck she and Prince Yeol had when she met Hyori two months ago had ran off. Hyori was extremely hospitable and kind-hearted. However, Hyori's sharpness remained despite her old age. After two months, her friend started to notice Mei's extraordinary and rapid ageing. Nonetheless, Hyori refused to say anything.

Mei knew that even if Hyori found their secret, she will still welcome them in her home. However, if Mei were to die and Hyori has to take care of Prince Yeol in her stead -- then Hyori, who's also nearing her deathbed as much as her -- might not be able to take care of the Prince.

Then where does that leave Prince Yeol?

Mei was also aware that there's no permanent thing, her life included. As time passed her tattoo's glow became fainter, and she knew fully well that her time's almost up.

For Exotics, their life line was their tattoos. Every time they age, their cyan tattoos will darken until it turned completely black. When it did, they disappear into thin air -- not leaving a single trace of bones but ashes.

They all turn to ashes. And Earth's "normalcy" is expediting her death row. 

Thankfully, Prince Yeol remained less than a year old within those two months, so she can't worry for at least one thing.
 

She needs to find the new guardian. Soon.

* * *

Jinri always loved staring at the moon. The heavenly bodies' mysteries intrigued her, and it always made her wonder of the secrets that the universe might hold. Were aliens true? Demons? Ghosts?

As she continued walking along the narrow alley, Jinri felt eyes boring down on her. She stopped on her tracks. She was definitely sure that someone was watching her.

Suddenly, it dawned on Jinri that she was exactly at the defined place that Victoria told a while ago. Full moon... midnight... dark, narrow alleyway...

And all she needed was an old woman with a baby and the concept was complete.

There was an eerie screech from afar that alerted her even more. Jinri stopped walking again and glanced over her shoulders. Surely, the tale wasn't true...?

*Stupid you Jinri. Of course it's not* she told herself firmly. 

She continued walking but stopped for the third time. The screech - and now with dragging footsteps -  were getting louder and nearer to her. Jinri breathed nervously and paced faster, desperate to get out of the alleyway as soon as possible.

*Keep calm Jinri. It's a tale. It's fantasy. It's not real.*  she mentally convinced herself.

At last, the end of the alley was within reach. She sighed in relief and gratefully ran, but then she was blocked by an old woman with an amount of long grayish hair, her skin sagging beneath her bones, and her sunken red eyes as bloodshot as a demon. The worst part was, she was holding a baby - just like in the tale.

"AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!" Jinri screamed at the top of  her lungs. There it is!! The woman with a rogue baby!! Her youth! Her strength! Her happiness! Her blood!!

She turned her back and scurried away from the old woman, screeching.

Mei was startled. Despite her old age, she tried to run after her.

"W-wait... stop..." she managed to say through her rasp voice. "Please..." 

Jinri caught the magic word and stopped just a few meters away from Mei. She was torn between going after the begging woman and running for her life. In the end, she remained standing on the spot where she stopped, neither moving backwards nor forwards.

The two of them met eyes and Jinri blinked. Despite the old woman's scary appearance, there was warmth in her eyes and tenderness -- did she just imagine the bloodshot eyes?? 

The same feeling met Mei. White -- no. Silver mist glowed around this young woman. It was the brightest of all the auras she saw from other people.

Mei walked towards Jinri with searching eyes. Jinri took cautioned steps backward while Mei took determined steps forward. Then Mei stopped, holding Jinri's gaze.

"You... you're the perfect human." she said.

Jinri whimpered. "No.. Please don't. Please." she shook her head furiously, her eyes starting to water from fear. She took it back -- this woman had demon eyes. Demon eyes!

Mei frowned. "But I can sense your potential. I need you."

*Potential? Potential meal does she mean?* With that thought Jinri cried. 

"I don't want to die!" she wailed.

Mei frowned, not understanding what she said. She felt too light-headed to even think. She look down and saw her tattoo getting darker. Her head swirled heavily, her heart pumped slower and her knees gave way. The time's almost up.

She Prince Yeol in Jinri's arms. Then she sat with her back on the wall, touching her tattoo. Jinri stopped begging and stared from the baby to Mei.

"W-what...?"
"P-please.." Mei begged desperately. "Please take care of Prince Yeol."
"Who? What? WHY?!" Jinri's fear was toning down, and all she felt was confusion. She approached the old woman and gasped loudly.

Mei's orb eyes were glassy, her body rigid.

"Oh my God!" she shrieked. "Oh my God, is she dead?!!" she knelt down with Prince Yeol in her arms and felt Mei's pulse. Nothing.

"Oh no. Oh no. Oh no! She's dead. I saw person die in front of me!!" she repeated frantically. 

She looked down at Prince Yeol who was sleeping soundly in her arms.


 

"Otteoke?!"