The Man's Choice

3.6.5

Journey 34

"We're here." Luhan announced. He looked grimly at the miserable place they were in. The sky was murky gray; the stars were closely shining above them; the wind slamming their faces brutally; and the fine grains of sand seeping in their boots.

Jongin was the first one to let go of Chanyeol's shoulder. He walked a few steps, his feet instantly recognized the earth he was standing, as if he belonged here for so long. When he was in Earth, he imagined Exo as something lively and inviting just like the flower festivals in Seoul. But Planet Exo was the exact opposite of his expectations. It was cold - darker even - as if saying that newcomers are not welcome there. But Jongin still had this sensation within him that says he was home. Home at last.

Meanwhile, Baekhyun and Chen eyed their lonely planet sadly. They were only kids when they were sent in Earth but they can still remember the chaos they left before they escaped with a mission at hand. They never thought that nostalgia and pity can come both at the same time.

Chanyeol had still his eyes closed, his fingers twisted around his necklace. He was scared that if he opened his eyes and saw Exo, he might just end up coming back to Jinri. But no, he already made a choice two Earth days ago.


He dipped under the water and let the bubbles soak his skin. His cyan tattoo faded a little, but the change was too tiny for him to notice. But then something weird happened: Flashes of memories he did not experience in Earth poured randomly in his brain. His father playing with him; his mother singing his lullaby; the whole exotics cheering after he was baptized; the eyes of her guardian cooing him to sleep...

Foreign memories yet it was not so foreign at all.

Another memory sank in. King Iyo asked Queen Yal to give Prince Yeol to him. Queen Yal hugged his son tighter, begging King Iyo to not transport him in Earth.

"We don't need to transport Yeol on Earth my king..." she pleaded. "We can protect him here."
"You know better than what you said my queen."

King Iyo touched Chanyeol's cyan tattoo.

"The Cyan Ball will explain you  everything at the right time my son. When that time comes, come back to us."

And that was it. His message.


"What took you so long?" Jinri wondered as Chanyeol emerged from the bathroom thirty minutes later.
"I guess I enjoyed the bubbles too much." he scratched his head sheepishly.

Jinri rolled her eyes and sat down her chair.

"Food's getting cold. Let's eat!" she said energetically. Chanyeol's 'I love you' earlier probably had electrified her insides to be energized that much.

Chanyeol sat beside Jinri and started digging his food.

"I was thinking..." he started.
"Hmm?"
"How about we have our first offical date tomorrow?" he offered.

It would be his last memory with Jinri, and he wanted to make that memory special. Jinri seemed taken aback for a moment but then her face lit up, replaced by only excitement.

"Of course. I thought you'd never asked."
 

He had lied on that very day too. Chen was introducing himself to him when Jinri turned to him and asked his age.

"And you?"
"Of course I'm 19." he his tattoo and frowned. "Or maybe 20." No. He was 21

*I'm so sorry Jinri. But I have to go. It's for my parents. It's for my people whom I have responsibility on. It's for Exo. Just let me finish my duty here, then I'll go back to you. I'll find you.*

 

"Chanyeol." Jongin put a hand on his shoulder and Chanyeol opened his eyes, bringing him out of his memory. His friend was looking at him concernedly. "Are you okay?"

Chanyeol nodded with a closed smile. He was not. He missed Jinri so bad.

Apparently, Jongin sees that too.

"It's hard for me to leave Jinri as well. She's my friend." Jongin said. "And I know that it's harder for you, but remember... we all agreed in this decision."


After their party, Chanyeol offered Kyungsoo to walk him home. Baekhyun followed him closely. When they reached Kyungsoo's home and bade him good night, they did not immediately left the front door steps.

"You have received it, don't you?" Baekhyun asked.

Chanyeol stared blankly and nodded after a while.

"That's why I said I don't get you Prince Yeol." Baekhyun shook his head. "I don't understand why you have to give her the sweetest memory yet you'll leave her with a more painful one. What's the use of memories that can only be temporarily stored in a human's mind? They can easily be replaced with doubt, hatred, jealousy. She can hate you after this. Not love you. It never worked for us exotics, but Jinri was human."

Chanyeol smiled and messed Baekhyun's hair.

"That's the point Baekhyun. Earth's emotions are so strong that it can make memories temporary. But you know what will make it permanent? The one that stands out the most. If my love for Jinri stands out even after I leave her..." Chanyeol trailed.
"What?"
"Then I have loved the perfect girl."


"Let's get going." Luhan said urgently. "The EMs might find us here and it's the worst thing we would want right now."

Chanyeol, Jongin, Baekhyun and Chen followed Luhan silently. Their eyes and ears (and in Baekhyun's case, nose) were sharper than when they were in Earth. With every scraps of stones or every swish of wind, the men stayed on alert from enemies. No one wanted to fight or draw blood. Even Chanyeol doesn't know how he will save his people from the EMs without a raising a fist. But it's too late to back down now, they were there - right in front of the predator's lair.

"Where are we Luhan?" Chen asked.
"This is Devara Desert. You see that oasis over there? After we cross that place and walk for another five miles, we would be able to reach the main city of Exo."
"Why do we have to go to the city? Aren't we safer here?" Baekhyun asked skeptically.
"No. Because Devara Desert loves sandstorms. You want that Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun scowled but he shut up. Chanyeol studied the desert then the oasis and turned to Luhan.

"Do you need me to transport everyone of us to the city? Five miles is a long walk."

Everyone nodded. They all gripped Chanyeol's shoulders and arms while the prince thought hard of their destination. Their feet left the ground. They knew they were getting transported... But suddenly, a huge barrier knocked the men out, prompting them to stumble on the floor.

"What the heck?!" Jongin grumbled.

Luhan was the first one to stand up. In front of them was clearly the city. There was no barrier visible in front of them, but they were knocked on the ground as soon as they tried to enter there. He felt the air in front of him, as if touching a real-life barrier.

"What are you doing?" Baekhyun asked as he helped Chen up.
"This is no ordinary barrier." Luhan muttered. He continued moving his hand in mid-air when his eyes rounded on alert. "Oh ! Chanyeol transport us back to -!"
"STOP OR WE'LL KILL YOU INTRUDERS!"

A thin, tall man with blonde hair flew in midair with a back kick on Jongin's face - who stood the nearest to him. Jongin staggered backwards and spit the blood from his mouth. He growled at the man, his eyes flashing red.

The next thing they know, each one of them were strangled by EMs on their necks. 

"Good work Tao." A taller man praised from behind. He patted Tao's shoulder and grinned evilly at Chanyeol and the rest of them. "It's nice to finally add some fire in this planet now that our prince was here."
"I haven't used my martial arts skills for a while." Tao replied, cracking his knuckles and stretching his neck at the same time.
"I'm Kris." the taller man introduced. "I am the current ruler in Planet Exo."

Jongin snorted.

"Who in their right mind will pick a lousy man like you?"

Kris punched Jongin's face and smirked.

"I forbid anyone to talk in my planet without permission. YOU GOT THAT?!" he hissed on everyone. Then he walked towards Chanyeol and studied him from head to toe. "I'm really disappointed you know, I thought the prince will look stronger than this." he spit on the ground with disgust. "He reeks with human emotions."

Jongin struggled from his captor's grip.

"You -! How dare you talk to our prince like that!!" he yelled angrily.
"Xiumin, hold that man tighter." Tao ordered the man named Xiumin.

Chanyeol was burning with a newfound emotion: loathe. He was seething with anger as he looked at his friends captured helplessly by the EMs. He closed his eyes and tried to transport - but he can't.

Kris cackled callously.

"You can't use your powers! It's specially designed for you idiot!" he mocked Chanyeol. "Haven't you learned your lesson yet when you weren't able to transport inside  the city earlier? You dumb prince!" Kris whacked Chanyeol's head continuously. Everyone was distracted from his actions. Baekhyun and Chen looked pitily at their prince. They want to fight back; Luhan was staring at Chanyeol; and Jongin was fighting his captor's grip harder than before.

A slimmer of silver glinted from Jongin's peripheral vision. His heart stopped beating with dread. He struggled and had finally freed himself from Xiumin's grip. He ran towards Chanyeol - pushed him on the ground - and took the blow.

Chanyeol stared blankly at Jongin. 

"K-kai..."

Jongin laughed and spurted blood on Chanyeol's face. Chanyeol felt warm liquid drenching his clothes... he gulped, knowing it was blood. He looked at Jongin's back and saw a silver knife dugged deeply on it. Behind him, was Luhan's merciless eyes sneering above them.

"Kris, Tao - put all these trash on the cellar." Luhan ordered. "Finally, mission accomplished."
 


P.S.: This is still a Chanlli fic guys. Don't worry. :)))