The Old Man's Heart Attack

3.6.5

Journey 44

For most teenagers, taking care of the old people was a huge pain in their asses.

But for Jinri, it would never be the case.

In fact, she cherished every moment she spent with the old-version of Chanyeol. She was much more desperate for time than what she used to before. It's like every second counts, every breath, every step. She was cautious even at the tiniest detail; like how the dust in their home might affect Chanyeol's health, or how the wilted vegetables might not give enough energy for her husband. She willed to whatever Chanyeol wished for, and if only she can get the stars for him she would do it. She would do anything just to lengthen his life in Earth.

How can she be so reckless for taking granted of time that far? Of course, with that extend of happiness, sooner or later she would have to face the inevitable fact that the black pearl would not cease to prolong Chanyeol's youth further. He will age. That's that.

"Jinri, have you seen my glasses?" Chanyeol muttered very slowly. As if every word brings pain in his lungs  that he couldn't breathe normally without pausing for air.

Jinri looked sadly at Chanyeol. Her eyes fell on Chanyeol's hand, wherein he was holding his reading glasses which he was looking for.

"It's here yeobo." Jinri answered softly. She gently tugged Chanyeol's hand and enclosed her palms on it.
"Oh, I'm holding...." Chanyeol faltered, looking like he forgot what he was saying. He shrugged, placed his glasses on the bridge of his nose, and continued reading his science book like nothing happened.

Always the same. 

And it only gets worse.

Jinri was close to tears. Luckily, Kyungsoo stumbled inside their home at that exact moment. He has been  visiting them frequently, just like the old days when the three of them were all teenagers. He gave Jinri an encouraging smile that doesn't seem to convince both him and Jinri. Then he waved at Chanyeol.

"Hiya, old buddy!"

Jinri cringed. Even with the joke she was still not used on calling her husband "old". She was about to scold Kyungsoo when she saw how his face tried its best to happy and all. Like her, Kyungsoo was also affected. It isn't fair to scold him just by trying to make things positive. It's a hard job trying to be happy when the truth is, they are not. And right now, Kyungsoo was doing a fair job.

"Still looking tough, hmm? How about we have some man lessons, eh?"
"Kyungsoo..." Chanyeol acknowledged his friend with a smile. "You came."
"Well, duh?" Kyungsoo rolled his eyes dramatically and went passed Jinri and Chanyeol. He snooped the fridge and picked a jelly specially made for Chanyeol. "Can I eat this?"

Chanyeol chuckled and nodded weakly, then went back to his book.

"Don't you two have any plans for today?" Kyungsoo asked Jinri.
"Well..." Jinri looked uncertainly at Chanyeol. "I'd like to take him for a stroll on the park, but he may be too weak for that."
"I tell you, he'll be weaker if you confine him here." Kyungsoo sat beside Jinri and ate a spoonful of jelly. "Take him to the park. The weather is friendly today."
"How about that Chanyeol? Do you want to go to the park?"
"Sounds awesome." Chanyeol tried to beam at Jinri but he only managed to show his wrinkles more. He snapped the book shut and stood up, only to find himself back on his wheelchair. "Athritis ."
"I'll ready your coat and scarf then."

Jinri stood up and went inside their room. Of course, she picked Chanyeol's red scarf as well as her own, some Russian fur that Chanyeol seems to love so much, and their coats. The temperature in Seoul was cold like always, but given from Chanyeol's situation, Jinri was more protective than ever. Even if it's just a mere gust of wind.

"Hey, you're not coming with us?" Jinri asked Kyungsoo when she re the living room. Her best friend was already buttoning his coat.
"Nah, I have a dinner with Luna later."
"That's not until four hours right? You can stroll with us."

Kyungsoo shook his head firmly and smiled. He'd rather spend the rest of his four hours doing nothing than to bother Jinri and Chanyeol's lone time.

"Bye!" he waved at his friends and strutted off.
"He wants us to have time for ourselves." Chanyeol chuckled when Kyungsoo was gone.
"Because he knew that we would never had enough of that." Jinri answered rather bitterly. Chanyeol's face fell and he looked down his lap, making Jinri pursed her lips with guiltiness.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to." she said.
"It's okay." Chanyeol replied. "I know you are right."

Their conversation ended on that awkward moment. They went to their car - with much caution in Jinri's part - and drove towards the nearest park.

Today it was filled with families hanging out, children playing around the fountain, couples holding hands on the benches, and even forever alone persons sitting under the tree. Jinri pushed Chanyeol's wheelchair slowly, letting her husband adore the beauty of nature in front of them.

Chanyeol breathed exhilaratingly. He looked at the sky and wondered what do his friends in Exo are doing right now; if Jongin was doing a fine job being the king; or if Luhan, his brother, has been well all these times. He can't visit them because of his condition. Heck, he can't even walk for ten minutes without panting hard. At least, he has his princess with him.

"Look at that kid." Jinri pointed at a crying kid who was whining to his mom for an ice cream. "I sooo remember you whining like that too when I brought you on the mall. You were crying over pricey doughnuts!"
"I remember that." Chanyeol smiled. "And oh - look at that couple kissing. Remember the first time you kissed me on your dining table?"

If Chanyeol was looking upwards right now, he would have seen how bright red Jinri went.

"And that girl over there! She looks like Krystal. Do you remember how jealous you were of her?"
"I remember it alright. No need to remind me of... those embarrassing parts." Jinri mumbled.
"But that was the funniest things I remember." Chanyeol laughed.
"Oh yeah? Well do you see that baby over there? Hah. I can still smell all your poops that I was forced to clean when you were a baby!"

It was Chanyeol's turn to blush. 

"And don't even make me start about how you reacted when Joonmyeon and I made up and he forgot his jacket around me. Oh you are jealous of him right then, hmm?" Jinri continued.
"How about that time when you reacted on our play?" Chanyeol retorted. " You were supposed to stay quiet while Krystal and I kissed but no, you interrupted the scene just to not let Krystal touch my precious lips." He was panting hard now, but he was enjoying it.
"How about that saliva you always can't control whenever you sleep?!"
"I was a baby! I can't control my saliva!"
"You still can't control it now!"

The two of them were practically shouting at each other, gaining the attention of other by-standers on the park. Chanyeol was breathing more heavily than ever, and Jinri was so red she can match the color of tomatoes. Then Chanyeol's lips tugged upwards - Jinri did the same - then moments later, the two of them were laughing out loud.

"I love you princess." Chanyeol kissed the back of Jinri's hand.
"I love you more, prince." Jinri kissed his cheeks with an affectionate smile.

Some by-standers who were watching Chanyeol and Jinri shivered when they saw that the couple was not a grandfather-granddaughter interaction like they expected it to be. But, it was not their business, right?

"Jinri." Chanyeol said suddenly.
"Hmm?"

The man looked at Jinri shamefully.

"My... my diapers..."
"Oh." Jinri understood. She whirled the wheelchair the other way, back to their car, and drove off. Luckily, their house was only kilometers away. Jinri hurried Chanyeol towards the rest room and took off his diapers. Chanyeol then squatted on the bowl, doing his thing, and Jinri left him alone inside.

While she waited for Chanyeol to finish unloading his stomach, Jinri decided to make their bed so Chanyeol can have his good rest. Then Chanyeol called for her.

"Jinri... I'm done." he said.

She proceeded on cleaning Chanyeol's , then she gave him a warm bath, clothed him, and made him rest on their bed. She cooked a nice porridge for him, and made a tea. Coffee was inadvisable for Chanyeol now.

"Snacks on bed?" Chanyeol asked amusedly.
"Yeah. After you're done with your porridge and tea, read a book or something before you go to sleep. Okay?"
"Roger that."

Jinri flopped beside Chanyeol and ushered him with his food. She blew a spoonful because it was still hot, then she carefully shoved some amount on his mouth. She keeps doing it with an occasional pause for Chanyeol to drink, until the porridge bowl was cleaned empty.

"Now what do you want to read?" Jinri asked."How about my old Peter Pan book?"

Jinri looked at Chanyeol, remembering Joonmyeon's gift for him years ago.

"Missing your bedtime story?" she grinned.
"Super."

Jinri searched for the depths of their shelf until she found Chanyeol's first ever book. Chanyeol cuddled on her when she returned to his side, and together they flipped on the last page they left ages ago.

"So yeah, Peter Pan and Tinkerbell never mind their next pranks until they landed on Earth where they met Wendy Darling. They listened to fairy tales that Mrs. Darling was narrating to her three kids, and Peter Pan thinks what it feels like to... have a mother."
"You told me before that I was Peter Pan. Do you still mean it?" Chanyeol asked his wife.
"Of course. Except... well, you age and he doesn't..."

Chanyeol smiled.

"Let's skip to the last page, where Wendy is about to leave Peter Pan."

Jinri sighed heavily and flipped to Chanyeol's requested page. It shows a beautiful girl with a bow on top of her flaming red hair, and a boy in green clothes and hat, looking bitterly at the little girl.

"Peter Pan said, 'Remember a place where dreams come true. There I will always love you.'"

Silence. It was like Jinri and Chanyeol was both absorbing those two, heavy sentences that they can both relate to. Jinri's throat went dry, her eyes wet. Chanyeol was impassive, holding all his emotions back. Then he felt a throbbing pain on his chest, like it was slicing his lungs. He couldn't breathe. He tried to inhale. His chest tightened more.

"Chanyeol? Chanyeol!" Jinri panicked. She threw the book aside and aided Chanyeol. "Hey... hey..."

Chanyeol clutched his heart. He felt nauseous and dizzy all of a sudden.

Jinri did not waste any time. She tapped the emergency hotline (which she started to place in speed dial since Chanyeol went old) and asked for help. Next, she tapped Kyungsoo's phone number (which was on speed dial three) and sobbed through the mouthpiece.

"Jinri? Jinri what's wrong?!" Kyungsoo asked.
"Kyungsoo... e-emergency type Z. Ch-chanyeol. He.... he..."

"I'll be there." Kyungsoo cut in. He looked up at Luna with an apologetic smile. Luna smiled understandingly.
"Go." she said.

And Kyungsoo left his dinner date with Luna to rush towards his friends.