The Teenager's First Snow

3.6.5

Journey 18

Jinri had been through tons of dates before. Of course, she only spent it with Joonmyeon, but still the two of them did a lot of dates to cost them for a lifetime. They sailed the seas while having a dinner on Joonmyeon's private yacht; explored underground aquariums;  reached the 68th building in Seoul; had the whole amusement park all by themselves and watched their favorite football team on VIP seats.

And the best part is, it's all Joonmyeon's treat.

But what did she expect today, anyway? One romantic date from a kid claiming himself as a man? Or perhaps another luxurious treat? Apparently, she let her hopes way up high.

"That would be 98, 768 won ma'am." the cashier said, waiting for Jinri's payment.

Jinri clicked her tongue in disagreement and shoved the money hesitantly under the cashier's nose. She glared at Chanyeol, who was tiptoeing excitedly since the first minute they stepped inside the place.

"Why of all places, did you think of spending this so-called date in an onsen???" Jinri asked after the cashier handed her change.
"I've always wanted to go here! Besides, we'll get to spend time together on a steamy water -"
"Wait - what?! Heck no! You're bathing on men's area and I'll be spending mine on our own area."
"But I want to see you nak-"
"Oh gosh you're gross kid!" Jinri pushed Chanyeol but the latter just laughed. He brushed his hand on his hair and wiggled his eyebrows at Jinri, letting his sparkling eyes sparkle more.
"Come on. You think I'm still a kid? I'm taller than you already!"

Jinri silently agreed, as Chanyeol's height was not an easy thing to overlook at for the past weeks. Besides being an abnormal alien who ages fast, Chanyeol's height expands incredibly faster, even for a seventeen-year old.

"That doesn't change the fact that I'm nineteen and you're seventeen." Jinri retracked. "That means you're still a kid to me."

Chanyeol stopped on his tracks so suddenly that Jinri bumped into him. She rebounced backwards, resisting an urge to shout at Chanyeol.

"Why did you stop?" she asked grumpily.

He turned to face Jinri and said seriously,

"If I grew up the same age as yours, then would you see me as a man from then on?"

Jinri blinked a few times before Chanyeol's words sunk in. She cleared and walked pass him saying,

"A man is not based from his age. It's on his attitude Chanyeol." she chuckled and went towards the lady to claim her sauna clothes.

* * *

As it turned out, the sauna trip served a good way for Jinri to relax and free herself from stress. She enjoyed the water for at least half an hour, reminding herself not to stay too long or she'll end up losing her consciousness because of the temperature. 

She sniggered as she remembered Chanyeol's desperate face earlier who tried so hard to convince her on bathing in mixed rooms. But after his fruitless pleas and teary wails, he soon gave in and let Jinri bathe on the women's area. From Chanyeol's growing ersity, Jinri promised herself that she will be more cautious on him from now on. 

Forty minutes later, she found Chanyeol lying on the matted floor, deep on his sleep. She slumped beside him and watched him snore, smiling to herself.

Jinri took her time studying Chanyeol's face. First on his nicely-grown eyebrows that seemed to follow a curved path which emphasized his eyes; next to his long eyelashes; then to his pointed nose; and last, to his red, thin lips. If looked closely, Chanyeol doesn't look like a erted alien who kept doing childish things in his life. And, Jinri has to admit that she was somehow flattered too from Chanyeol's attempts to get her attention. Unfortunately, she's more into Joonmyeon already.

Suddenly, Chanyeol's gorilla-length arms wrapped Jinri's waist, pulling her on top of him - enveloped with his hug. 

"Acck! Let go of me Chanyeol!" Jinri commanded, blushing slightly as her nose touched Chanyeol's. They're that close to each other, and what's worst was, they were publicly displaying affection in front of many people.
"I don't want to noona. Go on, continue on checking me out. I don't mind." he replied, laughing at his own cockiness. His mouth was so close to Jinri that when he spoke, his sweet breath lingers on Jinri's nose.
"I'm not checking you out!" she denied, pushing herself upwards but Chanyeol pulled her closer to him.
"I like it this way." he mumbled, wrapping his legs around her body.
"I don't!"
"Jesus! get are room will you?!" one of the stay-ins complained.

Chanyeol finally loosen his hug and laughed at Jinri's tomato red face.

"Good evening ladies and gents!" a uniformed- man welcomed the customers through his microphone, distracting Jinri from pulling Chanyeol's hair. "How's your evening doin' so far, eh?"

There was a murmur of "good"s and "fine"s from the crowd but the uniformed man seemed unsatisfied from the response.

"Tsk. Tsk. That's not how a newly-bathed person respond. How about we add some energy to our lovely customers for tonight, huh? Who wants a game?!"

Chanyeol's hand shot upwards and so were a few others but the majority seemed uninterested.

"That's bad, only five?" the man asked, pertaining at those who put their hands up. "Well that's sad, because whoever wins the game will receive a price personally offered by this sauna's manager!"

A few more people agreed, and the man seemed satisfied now. 

"Now pick your partners and go in this line please." he said, pointing at the line in front of him. Chanyeol grabbed Jinri's hand and tugged her towards the pointed line.
"NO CHANYEOL I'M NOT INTERESTED!" Jinri hissed, resisting from Chanyeol's pull.
"Come on noona, it would be fun!" With one mighty tug, Chanyeol pulled Jinri on the line, who stood no match from Chanyeol's power. He was grinning again from ear to ear, a sign that he's thinking something bad or malicious.
"Great start for six pairs! Now, our game is called pasta party. The mechanics are very simple: eat the pasta on both ends as fast as you can and don't break the pasta while eating or you're out! Clear?" The participants except Jinri nodded.  "Ladies, bring on the pasta!"

A couple of uniformed-women entered the hallway and handed three-foot-long pasta on each participating contestants. Reluctantly, Jinri accepted one piece of long pasta and handed the other end on Chanyeol. But before placing it on , she whispered to him,

"I swear that if you tried to kiss me, I'll kick your balls so hard that you won't be able to go home." she threatened.

Chanyeol's malicious grin did not do good from Jinri's threat. He put the other end of pasta, clearly unaffected by her words and backs away until he was 36 inches away from Jinri.

"On my mark - ready set - GO!" the booming voice on the microphone signaled the start of the game. Chanyeol used his tongue enthusiastically as he pulled the pasta inside his mouth with rapid pace. His overpowering energy slightly scared Jinri, who eats the pasta as slowly as she could. Chanyeol was already done through half of the pasta within seconds - endangering Jinri's lips at any moment. She looked to her left - the couple was catching up, then to her right - the other one was not doing so well. Their team was the leading pair, and she was so sure that sooner or later Chanyeol would be crashing his lips onto hers. Reluctantly, she backed away.

And the pasta broke.

"Pair number three is out!!!" the man announced, getting a mixed boos and jeers from the crowd.
"Aw man!" Chanyeol groaned, regret fully painted on his face. "I almost had it!"

A smug look etched Jinri's face. Hah! If he thinks he'll be able to use this game to his advantage, then Jinri will do much more work for stopping that.

"Come on, who cares for a stupid game. Let's eat boiled eggs." Jinri offered, dragging Chanyeol away from the crowd.

* * *

The winner's price turns out to be a free, overnight stay-in on the sauna, with free body massage and dinner, good for two people. It was not much of a loss for Jinri and Chanyeol, who spent a more enjoyable time together by cracking eggshells on each other's forehead.

An hour later, when the sky is already deep and the city lights sparkled brighter in the sea of darkness, Jinri and Chanyeol decided to take a stroll around Seoul. It was Jinri's idea because she wanted Chanyeol to witness the beauty of the city he's living in. Now that she came to think of it, Chanyeol hadn't seen much of Seoul besides her dingy apartment or school and she feels that he deserves more than just that.

They walked side-by-side, with a peaceful silence between them. Occasionally, their hands would brush each other, and on those occasions Chanyeol always chickened out from holding Jinri's hand. It would be more romantic for a date to hold hands together while walking, but he's finding a hard time doing so.

*Go on Chanyeol, be a man! What would hyung say if he's here? He'll probably tease you because of being such a chicken!*

Jinri's hand brushed his again and he flexed his fingers longingly. *Just a few more inches Chanyeol. Go on....* and he reached for Jinri's hand but -

"Look at that!" Jinri suddenly said, using her hand to point something above their heads. Chanyeol grasped the thin air, and he coughed loudly hoping to cover his attempt.
"Ahh.." he looked up and saw a huge Ferris Wheel, 20-feet from them. Its seats were covered with bright lights, resembling a huge, round diamond shining in the middle of the city.
"It's so beautiful." Jinri breathed, clearly amazed from the Ferris Wheel's lights. 
"It is." Chanyeol agreed, a plan popping in his mind. "And I bet it'll be more beautiful if we're up there." he said.

Jinri's face fell. She turned to look at Chanyeol with hesitant eyes.

"But I can't. I'm afraid of heights." she replied.

That was news to him. He always sees Jinri as a tough woman who's not scared of anything, but perhaps humans basically have their own fears. He studied Jinri for a while then back to the rolling Ferris Wheel, then he grinned.

"Then what's good in living if you won't face your fears?"

* * *

"Please please please I don't want to die yet.!" Jinri prayed repeatedly with closed eyes while she felt herself getting higher from the ground. She can feel their seat turning backwards, rolling in the misty air of October chill. She cursed herself for not bringing a thicker jacket, because now that she was up above the ground the breeze blew stronger than before, getting goosebumps over her. "Brrrrrr!"
"Come on noona, the scene's amazing! Open your eyes."
"No. No. No. I-I'm scared Chanyeol!"
"Ssshhh.  Don't worry, I'm here." Chanyeol attempted to let his voice sounds soothing. He thought he did an effect, as Jinri tried to loosen up, but then the Ferris Wheel rolled faster getting Jinri more scared than ever.
"Let me dowwwwwwwnnnn!!!!" she yelled, still with her eyes closed.

Chanyeol sighed exasperatedly. He did all persuasion he can do just to let Jinri open her eyes, but the latter seemed unconvinced with anything he said. He tried threats, treats, bribes, and now soothing words but to no effect. At last, Chanyeol decided to pull his trump card out.

This time, he was more determined to hold Jinri's hands and never let go. He did so, warming the freezing hands of Jinri. Jinri gripped his hands in return for support - much to his pleasure - and wanted more.

Slowly, Chanyeol leaned his head pass on Jinri's face, and seductively kissed-slash- her neck.

"AAAAAHHHHH!" Jinri opened her eyes with a shudder, pushing Chanyeol as far as possible away from her. Chanyeol laughed out loud and his own lips, enjoying the scene.
"You taste - mmmm, noona." he said.
"YOU - ARE -A -" Jinri couldn't say those words without refraining to shout at him because of anger and embarrassment.

Chanyeol cut her with a sigh.

"Do I have to use my skills first before I can persuade you to open your eyes?"

That was when Jinri realized that she was indeed opening her eyes. She looked hesitantly around the lights below her, which resembled the ants roaming around the beautiful city. Then little balls of snow started falling, dripping from the eternal sky above her. The scene was so magical, so breath-taking that she forgot her anger on Chanyeol and her fear of heights. She let out an audible gasp of amazement as she watched Seoul getting smaller and smaller on her while drops of white falls on it.

It was the reason why she loves snow. It always does something magical on her, just like how this little fluff of white flakes removed her fear and let her see the beauty from within the city.

Magical. Dreamy. Peaceful - a perfect way to start their first snow of the year.

Chanyeol back-hugged Jinri, leaning his chin on her left shoulder while he also watched the city lights below them. For the first time Jinri did not mind as she felt warmth from Chanyeol's hug. Tonight, it was her protection from the chilly breeze, from the fear that she's slowly escaping, and from the hidden smile that's slowly reaching her lips as she remembered Chanyeol's breath and kiss.