The Man and Jinri

3.6.5

Journey 33

The dawn was not yet breaking when Chanyeol woke up. He stayed motionless on his bed, enjoying the silence that he was sharing with Jinri. A soft smile played on his lips as he remembered her first and sweetest 'I love you' last night. He was so overwhelmed with joy that he thought he almost smile in front of her when he was supposed to be sleeping already. But he was able to gain control... almost.

Chanyeol blew Jinri's eyelashes. He traced her nose and lips softly, feeling the increase of electricity flowing rapidly within his body. Today was his anniversary here in Earth, and what is a better way to celebrate but to be with the woman he loves? He silently thanked his father for sending him in South Korea. If it wasn't for him, he wouldn't be in this country. He thanked his guardian more because if it wasn't for her, he would never be lying beside Jinri, comfortable in her arms.

He wondered how miserable his life would be if Jinri was not on her side? What is life without love? What is life without her?

And he never wanted to reach that dreadful point. Ever.

Chanyeol left the bed as slowly and cautiously as he can so as not to wake Jinri up. He stood there for a minute first, appreciating her beauty even when she's sleeping while trying to remind himself that he should start their breakfast now.

When he went on the living room, Chanyeol found Baekhyun sitting on the couch.

"I couldn't sleep. I'm not used with couches." Baekhyun explained even before Chanyeol could ask.

Chanyeol nodded in understanding and walked towards the kitchen.

"Do you want coffee?" he offered.
"Anything would be fine Prince Yeol."

Chanyeol stopped pouring water on the kettle and frowned at Baekhyun.

"I told you. I prefer you call me Chanyeol. I am not a prince in Earth."
"But it wouldn't change who you really are." Baekhyun reasoned. When he noticed Chanyeol's demanding eyes, he sighed. "I understood Pri- Chanyeol."
"Now that's better."

Baekhyun followed Chanyeol on the kitchen. The petite man frowned at tall one and his frown discomforted the latter.

"Is there anything wrong?" Chanyeol asked Baekhyun.
"I just don't understand you. That's all."
"What?"
"A lot of reasons to mention." Baekhyun shrugged. "What are you going to cook?"
"All of Jinri's favorites." Chanyeol beamed again. "You can help me if you want to."

*Not interested* Baekhyun thought.

"It's okay. I think I'll go back to sleep."

Chanyeol nodded and hummed while he started cooking. It was six in the morning when Chen finally woke up, followed shortly by a still messy-haired Jinri.

"Good morning princess!" Chanyeol greeted. He leaned to her and Jinri assumed he was going to kiss her. She tiptoed and closed her eyes when Chanyeol suddenly stuck a toothbrush on . "Brush your teeth before your kiss!" he cackled.

Jinri grumbled and chuckled at the same time. She did brush her teeth, do her hair and changed into indoor clothes. Chanyeol offered the seat next to him then started piling a large amount of rice on her plate.

"Woah woah woah! That's enough." Jinri laughed.
"Do you know that you're getting thinner? I don't want you thin." Chanyeol pouted.
"People call me fat."
"Because they are insecure." Chanyeol explained. "People can only say bad things because of two reasons: it's either they care for you or they don't."

Chanyeol laid the rice in the middle of the table and started scooping rice for himself. 

"Come on, eat up." he encouraged Chen and Baekhyun who were sitting in front of them. The two awkwardly followed his orders. "Jinri! Say aaah" Chanyeol said, focusing on Jinri again.

Jinri frowned at Chanyeol's expectant face with his mouth forming a large "Aaaah".

"I'm not a baby." she whined.
"I know. Go on, just say aahhh."
"Aaahhh." Jinri said and Chanyeol scooped the rice carefully in .
"Sweet girl." he pinched her cheek and ate rice for himself.

Jinri blushed and chewed her rice slowly. When she was done, she scooped rice too.

"You know, it's your anniversary so I should be the one doing this." she said. "Say 'aaah' Chanyeol."
"Aaaahhh" Chanyeol obligingly and excitedly did.

Meanwhile, Chen and Bakehyun stared open-mouthed on the two lovers. The two of them met eyes, stared at each other for a second, then shrugged their mutual thoughts off.

"Oh yeah! Take a bath as soon as we're done in our breakfast. We're going somewhere." Chanyeol said after a while.
"Why?"
"Don't you remember? It's our first date. Duh."

Jinri grinded her teeth in mock annoyance and decided to go back on her food instead. Sometimes, Chanyeol can be so adorable. But sometimes, he's back from his old self. Insensitive, ert and straightforward.

But then again, she was eager to finish her food. Minutes were shortly counted when she was able to take a bath and pick the nicest dress she can wear. Chanyeol was already at the bottom stairs wearing a striped sweater and jeans. It was a simple getup, but judging from how he handled the clothes, he looked exactly like a model in Jinri's eyes.

"I know, I know. You're boyfriend is beyond handsome." he joked.
"Huh, too cocky." Jinri lifted her nose in the air and led the way - although she doesn't know where.
"Wait! Where are you going? It's in this way." Chanyeol laughed and softly grasped Jinri's hand towards the opposite direction.
"Where do you mean us to go anyway?" she asked.
"Somewhere with memories to plant."

Jinri let her get dragged Chanyeol farther from their street. They passed the convenience stores and some vaguely familiar houses until they ended up on the empty playground area.

"Do you remember when you were four, I was the one pushing you on the swing so you can lift higher in the air." Jinri reminisced as she touched the exact swing where Chanyeol sat on when he was four. She missed that memory. It seemed a long time ago.
"I do remember that. That's why we're here." Chanyeol said. "Because now it's my time to lift you up in the air."

Jinri eagerly sat down and waited for Chanyeol to push her back. The latter chuckled and guided her towards his first push - and it made little effort to swing her back.

"I remember myself trying to push you with all my might but I can't. Just like that" he chortled.

Jinri kicked the ground and lifted herself a few meters high in the air.

"Weeee!"

Chanyeol was on her back, ready to push her higher.

Jinri felt good goosebumps when she felt Chanyeol's hand on her back. She flew higher and higher, and she gripped the handle more tightly because she knew she will fall. But then again maybe it doesn't matter if she does fall, because she knew Chanyeol will catch her no matter what. She closed her eyes and felt the sun baking her face. It was warm... serene. It was so peaceful that she actually thought of flying -

"Gotcha!"

Jinri landed on top of Chanyeol's secured chest. She chuckled as she praised herself silently for guessing it right that he would indeed catch her in case she would let go of the handle. She trusted Chanyeol that much. And Chanyeol was well aware of that trust.

"Let's try the seesaw." she suggested.
"Ahh..." Chanyeol smiled as he stared at the same seesaw he sat before.
"Remember that too?"
"Of course. Watch how I will lift you up in the air like you used to." he answered and winked at Jinri.

They laughed while they took turns on lifting the seesaw up and down. They were like five-year olds in the body of twenty-year olds but no one cared. They just enjoyed that surreal moment reserved only for the two of them. If this is how they will spend their date for the rest of the day, neither Jinri nor Chanyeol mind.

Then they walked hand-in-hand in the middle of the busy streets in Seoul. They ate corndogs, threw coins in a wishing fountain, watched an old lady picking a suit for her husband, and rented a one-man bike.

"But I want to bike too! Make that a partner bike please." Jinri told the man in the counter.
"No - one man bike only." Chanyeol cut in.
"Partner bike!"
"Single bike." Chanyeol said with a final tone and slammed the bill on the counter. "I won." he winked at Jinri.

Jinri couldn't get the sense of renting a one-man bike when there was two of them. If he intended to let her ride on his bike, then she doesn't want that because it was too uncomfortable.

But after a while, Jinri took her words back.

To be honest, she preferred the back ride now. In here, she had the chance to lean her head on Chanyeol's back. She can also hug his waist tighter, and she doesn't have to worry on pedaling until her legs hurt. She can just trust their directions on Chanyeol alone, and if trusting was the case then she doesn't have any problem with that.

Their last agenda for the day was to watch the sun set from the bay. And so before 5: 30 in the afternoon, Chanyeol and Jinri were already facing the calming whispers of sea. Jinri leaned her head on Chanyeol's shoulder and he secured her more with his arm enveloping her. She kissed the top of her head and remained his lips lying on it. Jinri closed her eyes and feel Chanyeol's lips on her head. She was so tempted to kiss those with her own.

"You know Chanyeol, we can do this forever." Jinri said after a while. "We can go on dates like these, play on the playground like earlier, and watch the sun sets everyday."

Chanyeol remained silent for a while. Jinri feared he wouldn't reply. She was about to look at him when he grunted,

"Forever was a strong word."
"But that's what makes it strong. Because it is forever."

Chanyeol thought of her answer for a minute before choosing his own words carefully.

"How about this? We can stay like this until our tomorrow lasts together."

Jinri frowned.

"Then I'll love you until tomorrow, because our tomorrows will never end." Chanyeol continued.

Jinri buried herself deeper in Chanyeol's chest. His words brought the same electric butterflies in her stomach. For her, that seems acceptable.

"Can we watch the sun rises and the sun sets together tomorrow?" she asked.
"Anything for my princess." Chanyeol whispered softly.

When they went home that night, Luhan, Jongin and Kyungsoo surprised Chanyeol with Luhan and Jinri's planned party. They partied all night - no alcohols allowed. The boys and Jinri only stopped when Ann Li went barging in their apartment and ruined the fun. At midnight, every exotics crammed inside Jinri's small living room. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, preferred sleeping on his own bed.

"See you later guys." he said drowsily.
"I'll walk you home." Chanyeol offered. Kyungsoo seemed to not mind and let Chanyeol guided him downstairs.
"I'll go with Prince Yeol." Baekhyun volunteered. "So he can have someone on his way home."

Jinri nodded and gave the last sleeping bag to Luhan.

"Thanks for the surprise party." she beamed.
"It's always my pleasure." Luhan winked. Then he yawned, and bade good night to her, to Chen, and Jongin.
"Good night boys." Jinri said and went straight on her bedroom. She waited for Chanyeol to arrive home. When he did, that was the only time when Jinri was able to sleep peacefully. She took one last look at Chanyeol's face from the dark and hold his hand, never letting it go. It was the best  day from all the best days of her life.

Chanyeol curled a loose strand of Jinri's hair on her ear. He gripped her hands tighter, kissed her, and fell asleep as well.

* * *

Jinri woke up with the sun blinding her eyes. She sat up from bed, stretched her arms while she yawned, and combed her hair with her hands. Her bedroom door was left open and Jinri knew that Chanyeol was busy with their breakfast again.

She chuckled as she remembered their date yesterday. From now on, she will demand Chanyeol to make her breakfast everyday and swing her everyday and watch the sun rise and set with her everyday.

"Good morning!" Jinri greeted happily as soon as she stepped out of her room.

But only cold silence greeted her. Jinri let her arms fall and her smile fade as she stared at her empty living room. The sleeping bags were neatly filed on her couch. There was no sign of party debris too. She looked at the special calendar and frowned. It was Saturday, and no one has class during Saturday.

"Chanyeol?" she called. Her voice echoed loudly in her apartment. It was strange to hear that echo, because she hasn't been alone in the room for a while now. She tried calling again.

"Baekhyun? Luhan?" Jongin? Chen?"

No answer.

Jinri's heart raced a beat. It was just a mild skip, but it made her nervous nonetheless. She scanned the kitchen and found no one. She went on the bathroom and found no one too. Her apartment was just small so finding five fully-grown men wasn't hard to do so. But no matter where she searched, no matter where she went, there was no sign of life in there besides herself.

"Come on guys, this isn't funny!" Jinri half-shouted, half-scowled. "If this is some joke you thought Luhan then I swear I'm going to make your round eyes flat!"

Still no response.

Jinri tried hard not to panic. She dashed inside the bathroom again and searched her medicine cabinet frantically. It should be there - the first proof of their existence.

But when she opened her first aid kit, the black pearl was already gone.

Jinri stood up fastly and abandoned her kit. She ran towards the couch and flipped the throw pillows and sleeping bags over. Then Chanyeol's phone fell with a loud thump.

She swiped it open and received a shock: Chanyeol's wallpaper was her picture, and it was not just some random picture he takes. It was a picture of her with her hands feeling the snow melting in her palms. She was standing in the middle of the street with a glint of happiness in her eyes, and she was wearing a red scarf she knew exactly where she had bought.

*Chanyeol's with me all this time...* she breathed.

Jinri's chest tightened. She bit her lower lip and searched her apartment again fruitlessly. As she was researching her apartment, she suddenly remembered Chanyeol's words.

'Forever was a strong word'

And without even thinking about it, Jinri ran bare-footed outside her apartment. She clasped Chanyeol's phone tightly in her hands, her mind racing with all other possibilities except the one she was refusing to accept. She doesn't know where she was going. Her mind was lfet blank. Just blank. She let her feet lead the way.

"Excuse me, have you seen this man? He was this tall -"
"Out of the way!"
"Excuse me, I'm looking for my boyfriend-"
"I don't have time for you!"

Jinri turned around wildly around her. Her mind was set on Chanyeol alone. She ended up gasping for breath in front of the playground. She circled the wide lot, shouting Chanyeol's name.

"Chanyeol! Chanyeol!"

No one answered her. Not even the birds nor the wind. 

"Where are you?" she pleaded. "Please... don't -"

She couldn't take the thought that Chanyeol left her. Jinri collapsed on the ground and curled herself, hoping that her bare skin would suffice for protection. But there was no harm from outside... the pain was from inside. It was eating her, unabling her to speak the right words.

"Come back Chanyeol." Jinri begged again. She clutched her necklace and kissed it hardly, as if kissing it would bring him back. "We haven't watched the sun rise yet. I haven't kissed you good morning yet. I...."

Jinri clasped her necklace tighter.

"I haven't say how much I love you out loud yet." she cried, and that was when her tears fell freely.

"Chanyeol please come back... Don't leave me alone."


"Chanyeol..."


"Come back...."

 


"Please?"

She hated how no one answered her pleas. She desperately hoped that this was just a joke. That Chanyeol would suddenly appear in front of her with a loud "Surprise!" and telling her how much he loves her again. That she wasn't faced from the fact that she was living alone again... without the man she vowed to love until tomorrow.

Jinri arched her head backwards and pinched her nose, hoping against hope that it would do the trick.

 

But her tears kept on falling.