The Kid Who Went to School Part I

3.6.5

Journey 9

Jinri couldn't believe that in just a matter of week her life made a huge upturn of events like this. She barely remember the last time she lived a normal life. By "normal" she means going to school, having a date with Joonmyeon, hanging out with Kyungsoo, or Amber and Luna, and working at Blu Planet only. Instead she was busy shifting roles: from a student to a worker and now to act like a "single mom". All she had in mind was this abnormal kid whose secret she now knew and wished she did not know.

She was glad she did not tell the truth about Chanyeol to Joonmyeon. If she did, would he believe her story of having a fast-growing baby in her apartment? Knowing him, probably not.

But now she had a more pressing matter to think. Jinri chewed her lip nervously as the bus they're riding in closes on SMA. For the umpteenth time she faced Kyungsoo with pleading eyes, but for the umpteenth time too Kyungsoo gave a dismal wave at her.

"It's the best solution. We agreed on that already did we?" he asked.

Yes. they did agree on that. Deep inside Jinri knew that letting Chanyeol come with them on school was the best way to keep an eye on him, but now she's changing her mind. She feared all those rumors around her. She feared what would Joonmyeon think. She feared that everyone might know Chanyeol's secret.

Before she knew it, they were on the bus stop near SMA already. Dreading for worst, Jinri led the way outside the bus and walked towards the entrance gate without looking back at Kyungsoo and Chanyeol.

"Jinri! Hey Jinri, wait for us!" Kyungsoo yelled.

Jinri bowed her head to hide her face. She can feel the students gawking at her curiously, probably because of the additional attention of Chanyeol with them. She wondered how she would look like to a stranger's perspective: an average girl with the dreamiest boyfriend walking around with her rumored 3rd party/best friend and a young kid. Fishy.

"Who's that kid?"
"Is it their kid?"
"And she has that ugly face to show us?!"
"The nerve!"

Jinri's bashers did not bother to tone their voices down. Jinri knew their motives. And for her, the best response a well-bred girl should do is to not bite the jealous girls' bait and stoop down to their level. She must ignore their cynic remarks and act like they said nothing.

But she can't help feeling hurt. A little bit of common sense will give them the answer that Chanyeol was not her kid or that Kyungsoo was only her best friend, but rumormongers can't. And won't.

"Let's hide Chanyeol for the meantime. I know the right person who'll take care of him while we're on class." she whispered to Kyungsoo.

They hurried inside the building and went towards their well-chosen shortcuts.

"Where?" Kyungsoo asked.

They turned around the corner and faced the back door of the kitchen.

"Here." she answered.
"You know the cook?" he asked.
"Um, kind of."

Jinri knocked and pushed the door open. A fat lady wearing a hairnet and white cook uniform stood up from her chair. Her face split into a huge smile when she saw who her visitor was.

"Jinri!" she opened her arms in invitation and Jinri hugged her. "You bad girl, it's been a long time since you visited me here."
"But we see each other everyday." Jinri defended.
"Yes, but we're not actually talking aren't we?"

Jinri scratched her head and smiled apologetically in response. She faced Kyungsoo and pointed at the cook.

"Kyungsoo, this is Seungmi - Seungmi this is Kyungsoo, my best friend."
"Ah of course, I know him." Seungmi hold out her hand and Kyungsoo shook it. "And who's that?" she asked, pointing at Chanyeol.

Jinri hesitated. She cleared and pointed at Chanyeol. "This is Chanyeol. I am babysitting him for a while." she answered.

"And he's here why...?" Seungmi prompted.
"Um... well, I really can't leave him alone on my apartment. So um, can you...?"

Seungmi raised an eyebrow with an open mouth while she waited for Jinri to continue. Jinri cleared again and smiled.

"Can you please take care of him while we're on class?" Jinri ended.

Seungmi closed and nodded.

"I will. Although I am busy I still will."
"Oh Seungmi thank you!" Jinri hugged the lady again and gave her a swift kiss on her cheek. She checked her watch and yelped.
"Yah we're late!"
"Go on, I'll take care of this kid." Seungmi smiled and took Chanyeol's hand from Kyungsoo's grip.

But Jinri stopped to face Chanyeol and poked his head.

"You - behave." She did not elaborate more but she hoped that the kid's advanced mind understood her. "Kyungsoo let's go. We'll go ahead now Seungmi! Bye!"

Kyungsoo waved at Chanyeol first before following Jinri outside the kitchen. The two of them ran back down the main stairs , towards their own classes.

"Kyungsoo! Jinri!"

The best friends stopped running and turned around. Victoria's eyes glinted with excitement as she waved on them. 

"Hey, on way to your class?" she asked them.
"Mm-hmm." Kyungsoo answered.
"Oh, right. Then I guess we'll have the club meeting after dismissal?" Victoria asked Kyungsoo.
"Sure." Kyungsoo smiled.

Victoria nodded eagerly and turned to Jinri.

"And you. You did not go to work again. Do you want payment or not?"
"Of course I do eonnie! I'm just... busy."
"I'm giving you another chance later, alright? Naughty girl." Victoria pinched Jinri's cheeks. "Go now, I'll see you two later."

Kyungsoo and Jinri nodded and ran again.

"What club meeting does eonnie talks about?" Jinri asked as they passed the Hall of Famers section.
"That's the Mystical and Mythical Creatures Investigation Club." the latter answered.
"Haven't heard of it."
"Because it's new." The two of them started to slow down as their classrooms get nearer. Jinri raised an eyebrow while they walked side-by-side.
"It is? And how many members does this club has?" she asked.
"2. Me and Victoria." Kyungsoo replied proudly.

Jinri was glad that they reached her classroom first. She was able to hide her smirk from Kyungsoo as she turned around the corner.

"My class. See you after lunch." she excused. Kyungsoo waved at her before walking towards his own class too.

"You're late Ms. Choi." Mr. Kang barked at her as soon as Jinri opened the door.
"I'm sorry sir. Um... overslept." she said.
Mr. Kang's expression milden. "Of course. I hope your mom's doing well?" he asked.
"Who?"
"Your mom Ms. Choi. The one who went to hospital." Mr. Kang rounded his eyes obviously.
"Oh! Yeah... my mom.. yeah."

Mr. Kang blabbed about his Mom too and while he was speaking, Jinri made a quick search around the room for an empty seat. She nodded absentmindedly as her instructor droned on, then she found an empty chair at last - it was at the farthest corner of the room, next to her mysterious classmate whose name she forgot.

"...you may sit now Ms. Choi." she heard Mr. Kang said.

Jinri took tentative steps towards her unnamed classmate. She can only see half of his face, the part where the sunlight from the window bored down his slightly-tanned features. His eyes were gazing somewhere far from anyone in this room to reach - as if he was dreaming... always longing.

When Jinri sat next to the man and he did not give any reaction, Jinri sighed in relief and puts down her bag. At the sound of her bag being dumped on the floor the man turned his head slowly, letting Jinri see his face fully.

He was a good-looking man with a messy blond hair; bored eyes; and big, plump lips that gave him the impression of a pouting man. She wondered how this man was not able to catch SMA girls' attention, because in her opinion, that man was pure beauty (although no one still beats her boyfriend).

Jinri thought that the man frowned at her but she blinked, and he was back on staring outside the window again. *Maybe it's just the trick of light* she thought.

Their discussion on the most historical wars around the world continued. Jinri can clearly see how much Mr. Kang enjoyed their topic: his eyes glinted, his voice eager, his gestures full of life - it was different on how he discussed other topics in World History. It made her wonder what would be the reason why he enjoyed discussing it, because wars are the results of miscommunication, greediness, and revenge. There's nothing enjoyable from it.

*Never mind. At least I'm not in detention.* and she went back on jotting down notes.

* * *

'I'm done with my History class. Let's meet at the kitchen's back door.' she texted then sent it to Kyungsoo.

"Texting Joonmyeon?" Luna interrupted, leaning on the wall on Jinri's left.
"Or perhaps it's Kyungsoo?" Amber leaned on Jinri's other side.
"No, I'm texting my kid." Jinri replied. Chanyeol's face popped instantly at the word 'kid' and regretted saying it at once.

Their classroom door opened and their mysterious blond classmate walked out. He made eye contact to Jinri, giving her a long and hard stare - something that could be mistakened as anger with a mixture of curiosity - then looked away.

"What's his problem?!" Amber demanded.
"Did you do something wrong to him Jinri?" Luna asked.
"No!" Jinri defended. She tried to remember what did she do wrong a while ago that angered him, but the only reason she can think of is dumping her bag on the floor and disrupting his reverie.
"Never mind him then. That Jongin kid's really weird." Amber said.
"So that's his name? Jongin?" Jinri asked.
"Yes, and believe me, he never talked or interacted with anyone else beside our instructors. Do you get that feeling that he has his own world and he won't let you in? It's really awkward."
"I do." Luna piped in. "One time, I bumped his arm accidentally and do you know what he did? He backed away like I have some kind of malignant flu who shouldn't be touched." Luna said, shaking her head.

Jinri was about to say something when her phone beeped showing Kyungsoo's text.

It contains only four words but it was enough for Jinri to forget the whole Jongin thing. 'Chanyeol is not here' , it says.

"...hey Jinri, are you still listening?"

Jinri tried to clear her dry throat. Cold sweat ran down her face, her heart thumped fast, her stomach clenched uncomfortably. It was the feeling like her worst nightmare came true and all that's left for her to do is to run away.

"Jinri, aren't you feeling well?" Amber's concerned voice interrupted.
"I... I need to go." she managed to say and ran towards the kitchen.
"Jinri!" Luna and Amber chorused but Jinri did not look back.

Her leaded foot echoed on the corridors. She different corners... she skipped several steps... pushed someone out of her way... she was running blindly with no real direction to take. *Where is Chanyeol? What did he do? Did he show everyone his secret? Who has him right now?!!*

"OWW!!!" Jinri ran herself towards someone's body, but before she knew who that was, she was pushed hardly with rough hands and thrown on the floor.

Luckily she let her elbow took the blow, but the soreness on her bone stung. She looked up who that person was and received a shock when it was Jongin glaring at her.

"Look where you're going, will you?" he growled, wrinkling his nose as if Jinri disgusts him.
"But you don't need to push me!" Jinri snapped. She stood up again and rubbed her elbows. Why does she has the feeling that Jongin hates her so much?
"Jinri?" an angelic voice rang from Jongin's back.

Jinri peeked on Jongin's side and saw Joonmyeon with an inquiring look on his face, and to his right was - and Jinri received a burst of relief and fear - Chanyeol.

"Who are you shouting at? Why are you angry?" Joonmyeon asked, walking towards her while holding Chanyeol's tiny hand. Jinri brushed her sides and smiled at Joonmyeon.

"It's nothing, really. Just a little misunderstanding with..... with..." Jinri searched for Jongin but the man was already gone. She snorted inwardly because of his sudden disappearance and waved the topic off. "Anyways, thank God you found him!" she pointed at Chanyeol and pulled him towards her.

"You know this kid? I found him in front of the women's restroom." Joonmyeon answered.

Jinri mentally face-palmed herself but she retained her innocent-looking face.

"Uhh... yes. I'm babysitting him. Still with my sideline." she winked at Joonmyeon and smiled sweetly at him. *Oh please let my aegyo work!* she thought.

Joonmyeon made a number of dazzled blinks until his lips tugged into another angelic and breath-taking smile. He took Jinri's hands and locked his fingers with hers.

"Don't worry my angel, your aegyo worked." he answered Jinri's thoughts, curling a stray strand of her hair on her ear.
"Jinri! OH YOU FOUND HIM!" Kyungsoo shouted from afar. Jinri, Joonmyeon, and the kid Chanyeol turned around to see Kyungsoo running breathlessly on the corridor. Jinri felt Joonmyeon's grip in her hand tightened, while she gave warning stares at Kyungsoo. But as usual Kyungsoo was oblivious with everything, including the tension that emanates from Joonmyeon.

"Where... did... you... find... him.?" he asked through breathless pauses, clutching his chest at the same time.
"Joonmyeon found him. Uh, Kyungsoo's taking part with the babysitting Joonmyeon." Jinri immediately explained. "In fact, it's Kyungsoo's turn to babysit, right Kyungsoo???" Jinri rounded her eyes meaningfully at him.

Kyungsoo looked from Jinri to Chanyeol to Joonmyeon and nodded.

"Uh, yes. In fact, I'm taking him now." Kyungsoo said.

Jinri sighed and gave a discreet nod of approval to Kyungsoo. They're not best friends for nothing anyways.

"If that's case, I'm taking her now." Joonmyeon said stiffly, pulling Jinri with him.
"Bye Jinri!" Kyungsoo waved at her as Joonmyeon tightened his grip more.

* * * 

Jinri sought peace on Blu Planet that night. Throughout her working hours she stayed focus on attending on their guests' requests, keeping the Chanyeol issue at the back of her mind as far as possible.

Everything was still hard for her to digest, but what else can she do? She knew that she can't run away, but she can't keep a secret forever as well. And so she worked harder that night, and at almost midnight she took her rest.

"Wew! Closing time at last!" Jinri slumped on the chair and buried her head on the desk.

Krystal sat beside Jinri and placed a glass of water beside her. "You're pushing yourself too hard. Here, drink this." she said.
"I don't mind. She's absent for days." Victoria joined.

Jinri drank the water into large gulps before turning on Krystal.

"You're 18 right? College freshman?" she asked.
"Yeah... why?" Krystal asked.
"Nothing. Are you self supporting yourself?" Jinri asked again.
"Not entirely. I mean, my parents give me allowance. Why?"
"Nothing. If you are given another mouth to feed and headache to think, would you still accept him?"

Krystal tilted her head and thought.

"Hmm... probably not. Unless the reason is something heavy. Why?"
"Nothing."

Victoria, who was listening to the whole interrogation, snorted loudly.

"You're thinking of that kid, aren't you? Go now, I know you're worried." she said.
"I'm not!"
"You are." Victoria insisted and pushed Jinri's bags on her arms. "Now go."

Jinri hesitated but thought better of it. To be honest she did not want to go home yet. She did not want to face that kid yet. If only she can stay on Blu Planet for the rest of the night....

But Jinri found herself complying on Victoria's suggestion. Her thoughts returned to Chanyeol throughout her walk back home, and due to her preoccupation Jinri was not able to sense the pair of eyes following her.


Kpop Republic tomorrow night! I won't be able to watch EXO-K, Shinee & Dal Shabet's concert. Huhuhu. :'(
Any Filipino readers here who will watch them?

I'm sorry Chanyeol oppa & Suho oppa, just wait for me on your next concert... I promise I'll be able to watch you this time.

T____T

 

Anyways, shoutout for my 3.6.5 readers!!! MWAAA!