The Teenager Gives XOXO

3.6.5

 This chapter was inspired by EXO's song, "3.6.5" and "XOXO" 

Dedicated to @southsunset94 :)


Journey 30

Obviously, things were never the same before.

Chanyeol and Jinri couldn't be in the same room alone without an awkward atmosphere clouding their surroundings. They were having smaller talks as each day progressed only to be replaced by shyness from their swift glances. They won't talk about their kiss, nor their mutual feelings, and their future together. Blame it to cowardice or lack of experience - but that was how it went.

And to make things worst, Chanyeol gets busier up to the point that he can't join his friends and Jinri during lunch or play video games with Kyungsoo. Luhan and Jongin were as busy as Chanyeol too until the usual gang made up of Jinri, Luna, Amber and Kyungsoo was left.

It was March 29, 2014, and as usual, the absence of these three teenagers was evident in their group. Jinri sighed dully as she entered alone in the cafeteria, her mind preoccupied with Chanyeol's continuous absences. She felt that it was her worst birthday ever.

"What's with the frown sweetie?" Luna asked when Jinri reached their table.
"I just don't feel like it is my birthday." she admitted.

Luna and Amber glanced at each other.

"Oh come on. Luna and I prepared a rare gift for you, so cheer up!" Amber coaxed. She dug inside her bag and pulled out a large square gift covered in pink wrappers.
"Open it." Luna urged.

Jinri chortled, appreciating her friends' effort to cheer her up. She carefully unwrapped their gift.

"A scrapbook?" she asked them.
"Flip it open." Amber said excitedly. Kyungsoo leaned closer to see the scrapbook more clearly.

At the sight of the first page, Jinri was brought into tears. Thousands of tiny pictures created a big collage that was formed into letters and looped into words.

Friends Forever.

Very highschool. But still, Jinri was touched. She flipped through the scrapbook further and found more of their pictures together tagged with naughty captions. At the end of the scrapbook were two letters glued on a special page, along with Luna and Ambers' pictures. She read their messages.

By the end of their letters, Jinri was officially in tears.

"Oh thank you Luna! Amber!" she cried, hugging her two friends tightly. Luna and Amber hugged her back, both of them grinning widely.

Jinri sniffed and rubbed her eyes. She turned to Kyungsoo and raised an eyebrow.

"How about you? Where's my gift?" she demanded jokingly.
"You'll see." he winked.

Knowing that Kyungsoo wouldn't give her an ordinary gift, Jinri let the subject pass. She remembered those countless times when they were younger, Kyungsoo would bring her gifts such as cabbage salad with an awful taste of sauce, a perfume he invented for months (which she never used), clothes that he personaly tailored which are as weird as his own clothes and much more surprises. That is when Jinri convinced herself from the phrase, "It's the thought that counts" because really, Kyungsoo's effort was all that matters.

The bell rang, signalling the last batch of their final examination. Amber and Luna were going on the same building while Jinri and Kyungsoo were together on a different one. And so the two groups separated each other after lunch.

Kyungsoo walked Jinri on her last class. But before Jinri can enter her classroom, Kyungsoo grabbed her arm and ed a large sketchpad on her.

"Happy birthday J." he greeted and planted a soft kiss on her cheeks.

Jinri smiled and nodded, waving goodbye at her best friend. 

She hurriedly finished her exam, making her the first one to pass her papers on their monkey-faced professor, making the old man raised an eyebrow to her.

"All done Ms. Choi? Within 45 minutes?" he asked skeptically.
"Within 45 minutes sir." Jinri confirmed. She was confident with her answers after all.
"Very well, you may go." her professor grunted.

Jinri strode past the desk and out of her classroom. She searched for the best spot to be alone, and found the perfect one between two buildings that offer her a small space to sit on.

She pulled out Kyungsoo's sketchbook and opened it. An audible gasp escaped her lips when she flipped on the first page, her heart warmed by affection.

For the first time in their lifetime of friendship, Kyungsoo gave her an ordinary gift with an extraordinary value. It was composed of Jinri's sketches by Kyungsoo - her eating ramen; her skiing on Yongpyong Resort; her laughing with Chanyeol; her as Tinkerbell; her with Mrs. Choi; her chatting with Luna and Amber; her on Blu Planet; and many hers with Kyungsoo.

What makes this special was that each sketches were drawn on different dates, and there Jinri realized that Kyungsoo had been preparing for this gift for more than 10 years - with the oldest sketch made in year 2000. 

April 7, 2000. 03:24 p.m.

J was laughing at me because of my clothes. I think I can make her laugh with this.

Below that caption was Kyungsoo's first childish sketch of Jinri. He painted Jinri's hair into yellow, her eyes were mismatched and her nose was too long from reality.

But what made Jinri smile in affection was how Kyungsoo efforted on replicating Jinri's laugh on his sketch. Jinri can see her 8-year old self laughing from something already unreachable for her. She wished she can remember that reason though... she would love to go back time and laugh at it again.

The last sketch was drawn just recently. It was a landscape portrait of her, Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, Luhan and Jongin sitting above the roof and staring at the stars. Below this sketch was Kyungsoo's handwriting saying,

March 28, 2014. 11:59 p.m.

Whether we enter a new world of magic and aliens or stay in Earth, we will always be together. - Kyungsoo.

When the final bell of the semester rang, Jinri called Kyungsoo and told him that she would like to ride home with him.

"My plan as well." he said over the phone.

They agreed to meet up on the etrance gate after five minutes. Jinri blew kisses of goodbye to Luna and Amber before running towards her meeting place with Kyungsoo.

"Have a happy summer vacation!" Amber shouted after her. Jinri waved around with a smile and continued running, skipping down the staircases.
"Jinri!"

Jinri stopped halfway as she recognized Joonmyeon's voice. She saw him running down the stairs while he catch his breath, his flawless face drenched in sweat.

"How long have you been running?" Jinri asked.
"I've been trying to catch you since we're in Wing 5." he answered breathlessly. Wing 5 was the building where Jinri's last class was held.
"Oh, sorry. I didn't hear."
"No - it's okay. Here." Joonmyeon held out a thin box and smiled. "Happy birthday."
"You don't need to Joonmyeon." Jinri mumbled.
"But I want to." he reached for Jinri's hands and placed the box in it. "It'll be the last remembrance of me in your life so please accept it."

She can never doubt Joonmyeon's kindness. His pure heart was too innocent to break - which she already did unintentionally. She would really love it when Joonmyeon will be able to find the right girl for him because apparently, she was not the right one for his life. When that day comes, she'll be the happiest girl in Earth.

"Goodbye." he said. Jinri can still see his longing but she shunned that thought away. She likes to stay friends with Joonmyeon and the thought of him still in love with her wouldn't help.
"Thank you Joonmyeon. Goodbye."


"What took you so long?" Kyungsoo demanded.
"I talked with Joonmyeon."
"Ahh... so what's his gift?"

Jinri hadn't seen it yet but she preferred opening it privately.

"I don't know yet."

Kyungsoo glanced at his clock and looked above his head.

"Jinri, how about we walk our way home?" he suggested.
"Huh?!"
"It's not yet dark, see? The moon's only starting glow. How about we do something for a change, eh?"

Jinri looked at Kyungsoo's expectant eyes and sighed. It doesn't hurt to do something different, right?

"Well count me in."

* * *

It took them exactly 1 hour, 45 minutes and 5 seconds to reach Jinri's apartment. The sky was clouded with bright stars already and the crescent moon glowed brightly behind the thick shawls of darkness. Kyungsoo and Jinri crawled up to the second floor with sweaty faces and sticky shirts, but when they reached the door, they laughed.

"That was fun." Jinri beamed. She pushed the door open and switched the lights on which was immediately followed by a stream of confettis on her face and the sound of party horns played on either side of her ears.
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY JINRI!" Luhan and Jongin literally shouted.
"Kai! Hit it!" Kyungsoo shouted as well.

Jongin walked towards the stereo and played a booming "Happy Birthday" song sang by children.

"Saengil chukha hamnida! Saengil chukha hamnida!" Luhan and Kyungsoosang together while Jongin clapped. While they were singing and clapping, Chanyeol emerged from the kitchen. He was holding a large piece of chocolate cake with lots and lots of candles stuck on its surface. 

Jinri involuntarily smiled at the sight of Chanyeol. She locked him with her eyes and captivated him with her smile and soon enough, these two lovebirds were lost in their own world.

"Make a wish." Chanyeol whispered.
"I'm standing in front of it already." Jinri whispered back. She closed her eyes, tiptoed and pecked him on his lips. 
"Blow the candle not the lips!" Kyungsoo interrupted yet he was laughing.

Jinri looked down and blew her candles. A loud "Yeyyyy!" was heard between Kyungsoo and Luhan's voices and from the music playing in the background.

"So that's why you were not in school earlier." Jinri told Jongin, Luhan and Chanyeol.
"Yes! Looked at all these decorations Jinri, I made it all myself." Luhan said proudly. "Kai did the cooking."

Jongin cleared his throat and looked away.

"I did all the cooking so eat everything." he said.

Jinri looked at the numerous piles of food, snacks, drinks and desserts laid on the long table. She wondered if her stomach would really take all those foods in.

"Kidding." Jongin smirked.
"Happy 20th birthday mei mei!" Luhan cut in. He embraced Jinri tightly and kissed her left cheek. "May the odds be in your favor!"
"I did this earlier but I'll do it again. Happy birthday!" Kyungsoo embraced Jinri longer than Luhan and kissed her right cheek.

Jongin stayed far from Jinri.

"Happy birthday". he grunted.
"Oh come on! That's it?" Kyungsoo complained. He pushed Jongin closer to Jinri.
"Hug her!" Luhan urged.

Jongin awkwardly placed an arm around Jinri's shoulder.

"Happy birthday." he grunted again.
"Closer!" Luhan pressed on.

Jongin moved closer so his chest touched Jinri's sides.

"Happy birthday."
"More!" Luhan stressed.

Jongin pulled Jinri closer to him and hugged her as swiftly as he could.

"Happy birthday." He was starting to get annoyed.
"Kiss!" Luhan suggested.

This time, two pairs of eyes flashed red. One was from Jongin, the other one was from Chanyeol.

"Uh... never mind. Come on let's eat! And oh! By the way, your Mom, Victoria and Krystal brought you gifts too. It's in your bedroom." Luhan said.
"Thank you." Jinri beamed.

Still sensing Jongin and Chanyeol's glares, Luhan dashed towards the buffet table and dug food for himself. The other four followed. 

While they were eating, Kyungsoo started the television and switched it in videoke mode. He selected a song and stuck at least three microphones on the stereo.

"Ehem, ehem. This one's my favorite song. I dedicate this to Jinri and Chanyeol- our new lovebirds."

[Now playing: XOXO by EXO]

"XOXO. XOXO. XOXO. Yeah. Salmyeosi immatchun xneun kiss; Donggeurake aneun oneun hug; Hoksi beolsseo algo isseulkka oh".

Luhan grabbed the second microphone and sang the next lines.

"Haruharu mollae sseun pyeonji' Geureoke kkeuteumage jeogeotji; Geuraebwatja jun jeok eobtjiman ah~"

Chanyeol picked the last microphone and rapped.

"Geurae yosae neon eottae byeoril eobseosseo; Cham ppeonhan maldeulman meorissogeul seuchyeo; Sasil nae mameun gipeo deeper than the sea; Kkok hago sipdeon mal geugeon be with me."

Then they played another song,this time the title was 3.6.5

[Now playing: 3.6.5 by EXO]

"Se beon kkajin budichyeo bwa yeoseot beonjjeum uljirado... - Chanyeol!"
"Daseot beon deo igyeonaemyeon kkeuchi boigi sijakhae" Chanyeol sang.
"
Jogeuphage dallil surok jungyohan geol nochil ppunya." Kyungsoo sang again.
"Nege jom deo siganeul jwo sumeul goreul su itge hae" sang Luhan.
"
Neul gateun goseseo tteooneun taeyangcheoreom ~~ COME ON EVERYONE!!"

Chanyeol grabbed Jinri's arm while Kyungsoo grabbed Jongin's. 

"3-6-5 nan maeil achim jamdeun neol kkaeumyeo harul sijakhae! 3-6-5 1bun 1choui teumdo eobseul mankeum hamkke hal geoya! OH OH OH OH- 3-6-5 ne soneul japgo! OH OH OH OH- 3-6-5 nochi anheulge!"

Kyungsoo did a little flimsy dance which Jinri, Luhan and Chanyeol immitated. They pointed their hips to the right then pointed it to the left, swaying it round and round. 

Then Kyungsoo placed an arm around Luhan. Luhan placed an arm around Chanyeol. Chanyeol wrapped Jinri with his arm and Jinri wound her arms around Chanyeol and Jongin's waist. Together the five of them sang their hearts out, laughing, eating, joking.... They partied until late at night until Ann Li couldn't take the noise anymore and banged on their door.

"WE NEED TO SLEEP YOU DOGS!!!" she shouted angrily.
"There's no 'we'. She's living alone." Jinri muttered.

And so they took their time on the roof instead. They brought out blankets and some snacks from the kitchen, and the five of them lied side by side with each other.

Jinri snuggled closer to Chanyeol. He in return opened his arms wider so Jinri can lie on his chest. After she did, Chanyeol wrapped themselves in the same blanket.

"It's almost midnight." he said excitedly.

Jongin, Luhan and Kyungsoo smiled as well.

"Why? What's with midnight?" Jinri asked.
"Our last surprise." Chanyeol answered.

They waited for the clock to tick 'till midnight. Jinri was starting to fall asleep. She was really tired yet very happy this day. She couldn't believe how much her friends and family loved her. She appreciated all their efforts from the bottom of her heart, so what they were waiting for doesn't matter anymore.

"Jinri, it's time. Wake up." Chanyeol chortled.

Jinri rubbed her eyes and tried to focus on the sky. At first it was blurry, with nothing but black, pointed stars and crescent moon to watch. Then she glimpsed the fastest light. It was yellow - no blue - green! She sat up and focused on the sky further.

There was it again! Two, three, four, ten, twenty, thirty! Comet showers of green tails fell randomly from space. Jinri stared open-mouthed from the first ever cosmic show in her life. It was too enchanting to watch - and she couldn't hold herself from being stunned.

"The remnants came from Comet Ison." Chanyeol informed.
"It's beautiful." Jinri breathed.
"And tragic." Luhan added. "Do you know that Earth will only have cosmic shows if a comet comes too close to the sun?"
"So why was it tragic?" 
"Because they die." Luhan said simply. Jongin glanced at Luhan.

"So you mean humans rejoiced whenever a comet dies while us exotics mourn?" he asked.
"In Exo, yes. Because comets are our planet's sisters and brothers. But we're in Earth, and we're celebrating Jinri's birthday. So we must rejoice."

Chanyeol caught Kyungsoo's eyes. Kyungsoo nodded his head.

"Aigoo -! Kai, is your stomach okay?" Kyungsoo suddenly said. He lightly punched Jongin's stomach which made the latter vomit the last remnants of food he ate.
"Let's take him in the kitchen!" Luhan aided. He grasped Jongin's arm and together the three of them proceeded back in the apartment, with Kai's deathly eyes piercing Luhan and Kyungsoo's backs.

When they were gone, Chanyeol stood up and offered a hand to Jinri. Jinri stood up too as Chanyeol supported her.

"I'm sorry I was distant for a while." 

Jinri realized how she had forgiven him even before he apologized. She couldn't take to be angry with him anyways.

"What's important was you're here. With me." she replied.

She would like to open up about their kiss or their future but she was afraid. What if he rejected her?

"I've got one more surprise for you."

Chanyeol pulled out two golden necklaces from his pocket. Both have stone pendants perfectly carved into letters 'X' and the other one 'O'. The pendants were shining brightly in cyan, the same color as Chanyeol's tattoo.

"I personally made these myself. Well, Luhan and Jongin helped too. That was why we were always busy. We searched for the nearest meteor which we found in China."
"So those stones were meteors?"
"It used to be." Chanyeol grinned. "But Luhan knew some exotic tricks to make this meteor in cyan gold. Have you heard of it? Cyan gold?"
"It doesn't exist." Jinri laughed.
"It does in Exo. The proof is in front of you."

Chanyeol looked down shyly, shades of red creeping from his neck to his cheeks. Then he knelt in front of Jinri and took her hands.

"I really don't know how to court a woman in Earth ways. I don't know what was love until I met you. I don't know anything about human emotions especially jealousy but I felt everything because of you. I never knew family, but you taught me what. I don't know friendship. I'm a hopeless baby before - but now I'm not a hopeless baby anymore. Instead I was hopelessly in love with you Choi Jinri, and I would like to give the other part of my heart as a symbol of my love. Will you accept it?"

Jinri's chest tightened from Chanyeol's proposal. Words have never been this powerful to her. Love never gave her an impact like this. It all comes down to this alien in front of her, whom she had nurtured since he was a baby.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

Jinri nodded. It was all she can do. She knew that if she speaks, her voice will crack and her tears will brim again.

Chanyeol stood up locked the golden necklace with a pendant 'O' around Jinri's neck. Then Jinri locked Chanyeol's necklace on his own neck, and the two of them were officially couples.


Thank you for you patience subbies. <3