Birthday

Kidnapped=Love

 

Chapter 8

So Min woke up feeling bright and cheery. Today was her birthday. She looked t her calendar and grinned. She turned towards the side of her bed to get down from her bed and nearly stepped on Hyun Joong. He was still sleeping. “Oh, ah…. mianhe,” So Min said softly. She turned towards the other side of her bed and got down. She went to her bathroom to wash up.

She decided to wear a sea blue wool blouse for it was chilly and tight skinny jeans. She practically skipped out of her room. She headed to the dining room for breakfast. She made herself an egg sandwich and a cup of coffee. After thinking for a while, she made two more egg sandwiches and cups of coffee for Hyun Joong and her dad. She finished her breakfast and heeded towards her room first since it was closer.

She opened the door and went in. She didn’t knock out of habit because it used to be her room only. She nearly dropped the plate of sandwich and the cup of coffee she was holding. Hyun Joong was not wearing his shirt yet for he just came out of shower and was changing. She blushed and quickly exited herself from the room. Her heart was beating fast. Hyun Joong quickly put on his shirt and opened the door.

“Don’t you know how to knock the door,” he asked, quite loudly.

“Mianhe, I was not used to knocking the door since it was my room only last time. Really, really sorry. I wanted to give you the breakfast that I made for you,” So Min said.

“Oh, okay then. Umm, thanks for the breakfast.” He took the plate of sandwich from her and the cup of coffee.

“It’s alright.” So Min smiled. “I have got one more sandwich and coffee to deliver, so bye!!!”

“Umm, okay. Komawayo.” Hyun Joong couldn’t understand why So Min was so happy. He shrugged and headed towards the dining room for his breakfast.

After breakfast, Hyun Joong went back to the room he and So Min were sharing. He was bored so he wanted to see what So Min has in her room. He walked around the room and suddenly a calendar caught his eyes. 21st May was circled and underneath it were the words ‘MY BIRTHDAY’. ‘Today is 21st May so it is So Min’s birthday. That was why she was so happy.’ Hyun Joong smiled. Hyun Joong wanted to surprise her with something since it was her birthday. He headed to the kitchen.

************

So Min brought her father’s breakfast to his office. Her father could not have forgotten her birthday. She knocked on his door and entered. “Hi, dad. I made this for you.”

“Yeah, thanks but I ate already,” shuffling through the papers on his desk.

“But…I made this for you,” So Min said. “Don’t you want to try it?”

“No, you can leave now.”

“Is there anything else you want to say to me?” So Min said on the verge of tears. He couldn’t possibly have forgotten her birthday, right? Could he?

“Nothing. Why?” he was still looking at his papers.

“Don’t you remember what day is today?” So Min asked although she already knew the answer.

“Yes, of course I know. Thursday. Why?”

“Don’t you know that today is my birthday?” So Min said close to tears.

Mr. Jung took a deep breath. He totally forgot about it but must she get so sad because he forgot her birthday. After all, birthdays come every year.

“Sorry, I forgot,” Mr. Jung replied curtly.

“Now that you know, what are you going to do about it?” So Min asked, holding back her tears. Her own father does not remember her birthday.

“Umm...Happy Birthday,” he replied and went back to his work.

So Min was crying now. She supported herself against the wall, afraid that she will collapse if she doesn’t support herself against the wall. It was too much for her to take. She woke up with a joyous mode and she was devastated when she realized that he forgot her birthday. And now that he know, all he did was say ‘Happy Birthday” and return back to his work without even a glance in her direction to see how she felt.

“I guess this was why mum left you. You were so inconsiderate. I bet you don’t even remember her birthday. All you do is work and go around with your cronies. You never cared about her nor did you care about me. I HATE YOU, DAD! I HATE YOU!!!” So Min yelled as she opened the door and ran out of her father office.

************

Hyun Joong came out of the kitchen into the dining room whistling. He had baked a fine cake complete with blueberry frosting and red berries to add flavor to the cake. He was pleased with his masterpiece. ‘Working in a cupcake restaurant did boost my baking skills’ he thought happily.

He came out of the dining room when he heard So Min yelling that she hates her father and he saw her ran past him with tears rolling down her cheeks. He doesn’t know why but his heart suddenly hurts seeing her like that. He wondered what made her so upset. After all, it was her birthday and she was in such a good mood this morning. It must be something to do with her father.

He went back into the kitchen and left the cake there. Then, he followed after her.

************

He followed So Min until she stopped. He realized that they were now at the rooftop. She sat down and continued to cry. He decided to wait for her to finish crying before approaching her.

After a while, So Min stopped crying. She heard a soft creak on the rooftop. Part of her hoped that it was her father coming to apologize but she realized that her father does not know this place. ‘Then who could it be?’ she wondered as she turned her head and saw that it was Hyun Joong coming towards her.

Shoot! Hyun Joong was not supposed to see her like this. She was so embarrassed. He already saw her once like this and now he saw her crying again. He will think that she is some weak girl that only know how to cry.

She hastily wipe off the wetness that was due to the tears from her eyes.

Hyun Joong was wearing an apron but he still look so handsome. He sat down next to her.

“So…, can you tell me why were you crying?” he asked.

So Min did not know what to say so she answered his question with a question.

 “How did you know I was crying?” she replied although it was pretty obvious.

“I saw you running out of your father office and you had tears in your eyes, so I followed you. So, can you please tell me why are you crying?”

So Min hesitated then she told him her story. She told herself that she has got nothing to lose but she actually afraid that he will laugh at her. By the time she finished her story, she was crying again.

Hyun Joong listened to her not interrupting. He felt sorry for her and she looked so sad, that he pulled her to him. She didn’t resist but continued crying. He could not understand why but his heart felt like it was breaking seeing her cry. He held her tighter against him.

When So Min finally stopped crying, Hyun Joong reluctantly removed his grip around her and pulled her up so she could stand.  So Min sat for a long time since she was crying so much that when she tried to stand, she realized that her leg was numb and that she could not stand up.

“It is already evening, we better head down,” he said.

“Hyun Joong, my leg is numb. Why don’t you go back down first and I will go down after the numbness has receded,” she said.

“What if I carry you? You cannot say no and since it is your birthday, take it as a present, ok?” and before So Min can even answer, Hyun Joong picked her up and started to piggyback her down the stairs.

“What? No!!!You can leave me there. I already told you that I will go down myself after the numbness has receded,” she yelled but she held on to Hyun Joong tightly; afraid that she will fall.

Hyun Joong just laughed.

When So Min realized that he will not answer her, she kept quiet, deciding to just let him carry her. She knew that if he didn’t carry her, she would not know how long it will take before she can go back down the stairs because it takes a long time for numbness to recede but her heart was beating fast.

Hyun Joong’s heart was also beating fast. He could feel So Min’s breath down his neck. Why did he carry her in the first place? He himself does not know why. He decided to head towards the dining room because he remembered that he left the cake there.

So Min realized that they were not heading to their room but instead to the dining room. “Why are we going to the dining room?” she asked Hyun Joong but he just replied “You’ll see.”

************

Hyun Joong sat So Min down at a chair and went inside the kitchen. He wanted it to be a surprised for So Min so he off the lights, lit up the candles and headed out.

So Min was shocked. The lights suddenly went off. She wanted to go inside the kitchen to see what Hyun Joong was doing but she could not because of her leg. Her numbness has reduced but she still could not walk. As she sat staring around her, willing her eyes to adjust to the darkness, she saw Hyun Joong came out of the kitchen with a cake in his hands. She gasped in surprise.

“Hyun Joong, what is the meaning of this?” she asked.

“It’s your birthday, right? This is for you. I made it myself. Hurry and blow the candles.”

So Min was touched. She blew the candles and cut the cake. After that, Hyun Joong on the light back.

“Komawayo, Hyun Joong but when did you do this?” she asked as she sat on the chair eating her cake. The numbness on her leg was gone by now. She could not understand when he found the time to bake the cake if he just found out about her birthday a while ago.

“In the afternoon,” he replied, enjoying his cake.

“Afternoon?”

“Yes, afternoon. Why?”

“How did you know it was birthday at that time? I thought I just told you just now only.”

“I saw the calendar in your room. How can I miss it? The date 21st May was circled and on it was written ‘My Birthday’.” he answered.

So Min smiled sheepishly. “Anyway, thanks again.”

She got up from her sit and gave him a peck on his cheeks and left the dining room to go to her room. Her heart was beating fast. She couldn’t believe that she has been so daring.

Hyun Joong sat there unmoving for a while, his heart beating fast. Then he shrugged and started to clean up the dining table where they ate their cakes.

 

Finally I uploaded…Phew!

Really sorry for the late uplod. Forgive me pls..............

I am not sure if that is So Min’s real birthday. It’s just something I made up but who knows? I may be right. If any of you know So Min’s and Hyun Joong’s real birthday, will you please tell me through your comments? Thanks.

Bye-bye.