the reason i'm afraid....

Bittersweet Memories

Wooyoung sits on his bed, staring at the phone that Nichkhun gave him. What’s he saw earlier make me feel uneasy. No wonder Minho always looking at him with an annoying gaze when he stays close to Nichkhun. Nichkhun has a relationship to Minho. Wooyoung sighs deeply. It’s look as if he got himself in to a trouble, a big one. He realizes that he starts to like Nichkhun. He likes the feeling when Nichkhun concerns about him, especially when he was in Nichkhun’s care when he was scared to death at the camp. However, the thing he saw just now made him to exterminate the feelings that start to grow inside him.

Suddenly he hears knocks on his door. His heart thumps faster as if it will be Nichkhun at the door. When he hears Chansung voice calling his name from the outside, he quickly opens the door.

“Woo…let’s have dinner together. Suzy asked me to bring you together. She has something to say to you”. Chansung pulls Wooyoung wrist when he sees the man taking a long time to react to what he said.

“What’s wrong with you? It seems like you just a ghost,’’ asks Chansung when he sees Wooyoung look pale. “Are you sick?” continued Chansung as he put his hand on his forehead. “Your body seems okay. Did you hurt yourself somewhere else?”

‘Yes. My heart maybe hurt a bit and for your information, I think I prefer to see ghost more than seeing Nichkhun and Minho kissing scene’ says Wooyoung but only in his heart. He smiles to Chansung, trying to cover his misery feeling.

“I’m okay. Maybe I’m still tire.” Wooyoung walks faster ahead as Chansung quicken his step to catch up to Wooyoung.

“Oppa!” Suzy shout at them when she sees Wooyoung and Chansung entering the café.

“Oppa, I already order food for you two. Sit.” Wooyoung and Chansung automatically sit with Suzy.

“Thanks for the treats Suzy” Chansung sloppily eat his meal. Their relationship becomes closer during the camp. Suzy shakes her head as she see Chansung bad manner in eating.

“Channie Oppa. Slow down, everyone is staring at you. Behave.” Wooyoung chuckles when he sees Suzy try to fix Chansung bad eating manner. Chansung starts to eat his food slowly when he notices people around them really stares at him.

“Suzy, why do you want to meet me?” asks Wooyoung when he remembers that earlier Chansung had mention about Suzy want to meet him.

“Ah…right Oppa. About the thing last time, my parent and my boyfriend allow me to make you as my brother. So, what about Oppa?” Suzy stares Wooyoung with her puppy eyes; she makes her most cute aegyo.

“Okay then, my little cute dongsaeng…” says Wooyoung as he pinches Suzy cute cheek.

“Oppa…it’s hurt. By the way, please take care of me and learn to behave like a brother to me. You have new responsibility now… you too Channie Oppa, behave like a human, not dog,” says Suzy as she sees Chansung start to the chicken bone that he just eat. Chansung only grins at Suzy, making Suzy punch his shoulder lightly.

“I’m finish. Oppa send me to my dorm”. Suzy pulls Wooyoung from his seat and links her arm around Wooyoung’s. As they walk out the café, Wooyoung can see Nichkhun and Taecyeon entering the café.

Nichkhun clenches his fist when he sees Wooyoung and Suzy. The two youngsters seem too happy, walking together arm in arm. Nichkhun force a smile on his face as Wooyoung and Suzy greets him and Taecyeon.

Taecyeon notices that Nichkhun is controlling his feeling. From far he can see Minho is in the café. He rolls his eyes, feeling annoyed.

“Khun I think I want to eat in our room lets buy takeaway food”. Nichkhun nods his head; he’s not in the mood of eating.

“Why don’t you go back to our room first? I’ll get the food.” Nichkhun obediently follows Taecyeon instruction. Slowly he makes his way to their dorm.

‘He seems okay…It’s look like he didn’t care about it at all. Maybe he really thinks of me and Minho as a couple. Worst he’ll think me as a gay. Damn it…’ Nichkhun ruffles his hair. From the front door, he can see Wooyoung is about to enter his room. Nichkhun stops his step and gaze at Wooyoung from a far. ‘Ahh… I need to clear things up.’ When Nichkhun opens a step, the whole place become dark. It’s a blackout. Wooyoung can hear Wooyoung’s scream.

“Omma…” Wooyoung sits on the floor when the place becomes dark suddenly. His tear welling up. It was totally dark and silent. When he enters the dorm, he can’t even hear a single sound. Maybe everyone is out having their dinner. Slowly, Wooyoung starts to sob.

Nichkhun take his phone out and switch on torchlight application. From far he could hear Wooyoung whimpers. He sees Wooyoung sat on the floor hugging his leg and covering his eyes with a scarf and his ear with his hands.

“Wooyoung…are you alright?” Nichkhun startles when Wooyoung suddenly hugs him tightly.

“Hyung…I’m…huk…huk…I’m… scared…” Nichkhun wraps his hand slowly around Wooyoung.

“Don’t be scared. Hyung’s here. Let get inside your room”. Nichkhun hold Wooyoung hand and pull the boy into the room.

“Do you have torchlight?” asks Nichkhun slowly to Wooyoung. The younger boy seems to try to stop his sobbing. Wooyoung shakes his head.

“No…but I have a night lamp that uses battery.”

“Where do you put it?” Wooyoung point his finger toward his pantry drawer. When Nichkhun stand up to get the lamp, Wooyoung quickly pull his arm.

“Let’s go together,” says Wooyoung. Nichkhun giggles seeing how cute Wooyoung is when he scared. He holds Wooyoung hand as he takes the lamp that Wooyoung mentioned.

“You’re really a scaredy-cat, aren’t you?” Wooyoung pouts his mouth, feeling shy. He and Nichkhun sit quietly on his bed. Wooyoung takes a glimpse at Nichkhun. Suddenly it feels awkward.

“Hmm…How can you’re so afraid of the dark,” asks Nichkhun to break their awkward silent.

“Huh?” Wooyoung startles when he hears Nichkhun suddenly asks him the question. Slowly he lifts his eyes and tries look into Nichkhun’s eyes. But then he feels so nervous when he sees Nichkhun staring at him intensely. Wooyoung turns his gaze to his pillow.

“Why are you afraid of the dark? It’s rare to find grown up teens that very scared of the darkness, even crying?” Wooyoung feels his blood is rushing all over into his head. He was extremely embarrassed right now. Nichkhun smiles as he sees Wooyoung blushed face. He always enjoys the sight of Wooyoung being shy or nervous, its look so cute to him. He keeps staring at Wooyoung to wait for the answer for his question.

“It was when I was still a little boy. My parents bring me to a mall for Christmas. Back then, I was a very naughty boy. I ran around in the mall, and sometimes I would stray far from my parent whose busy choosing things to buy.” Wooyoung halts his story and takes a deep breath as he takes a glimpse at Nichkhun whose focuses hearing his stories.

“And then, what’s happened?” asks Nichkhun as he getting more curious. He lips curl into a smile as he imagine how cute Wooyoung when he was a still a kid.

“there’s was a moment when I get excited to get ice cream that I want badly that time… without waiting for my parents, I make my way to the ice cream section.  Suddenly, a blackout occurs in the whole mall. It was very dark before the emergency light’s turns on. Even after it was on, the place still dark…” Wooyoung stop talking when he sees Nichkhun’s phone vibrates and Minho name is on the screen. “You should answer the call first”

 “It’s okay. So, what happened to you then?” asks Nichkhun as he rejects the call. He is really into Wooyoung’s story.

“Hmm… it was a ruckus that time. Everyone is screaming, looking for each other, children were crying. So did i. I can hardly hear my parents’ voice. I try to be brave and search for my parent while crying and shouting…slowly I accidentally went out from the mall. Everything’s become so strange for me and then I realized that I got lost and separated from my parent…I cried so hard that I lost my voice for weeks.” Wooyoung eyes become watery as he remembers the traumatic moment that he had experienced. Nichkhun feels sympathy for the little Wooyoung. It must be a phobia for Wooyoung.

“So how did your parent find you?” asks Nichkhun slowly. He tries to end the story there but he was just so curious, can’t help himself from asking. Wooyoung smiles as he sees that Nichkhun is very interested with his story.

“When I realized that I can’t find my parent, I gather my courage for the last time and make my way out from the crowd and go toward a trash can and sat there. All I did was crying and calling for my mum and dad. After half an hour, the electricity was fixed. An old woman saw me crying near the trashcan and she brought me to the security office. They make an announcement and my parents was also crying, thinking that someone might take advantage and kidnapped me…they brought me home instantly. And since that moment, I try to avoid being in the dark.” Nichkhun nods his head as he finally get the reason why Wooyoung afraid of the dark. Wooyoung smiles awkwardly at Nichkhun. Now that his story end, thing will be awkward again, the electricity was still out.

Ding …dings…ding.

Wooyoung was shocked when he hear the announcement bell ringed. He clenched his fists that still held by Nichkhun. Nichkhun patted his hands to convince him that it was just a bell sound.

“Attention to all students. This is the school principal. Our school is having an electricity problem. It is predicted that it will continuous until tomorrow. Students are not allowed to get out from their room. Security will be sent to every dorm, any student caught going out from their dorm will be punish. Thank you”.

Wooyoung mouth was widely opens he heard the announcement. That mean tonight he might end up sleeping in the dark. Soon the lamp power will run out. He gazed at Nichkhun with a glance that Nichkhun can understand easily.