Love, Love, Love

Little Do You Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So… you had no one free to eat hotteok with or is there another reason why you came to pick me up?”

 

After they ate up the food Kyuhyun bought and Shinkyung got (they were truly delicious), the latter thought it’s time for asking. Kyuhyun seemed unapproachable in the car so she held herself back and even so he looked quite upset walking down the street, hot and delicious street food made him look relaxed enough to get bombarded with questions.

 

Kyuhyun disposed of their paper cups – he even kindly offered to take care of Shinkyung’s; hotteok works wonders no doubts - then sat back to the car and turned up the heater before answering… or more like asking back.


“I have to have a reason to see you, Kang Shinkyung?”


He’s got a point, the said girl pondered. I mean we’re friends, aren’t we? Friends can see each other when they feel like they want to.


“Not really, it’s just… It’s the first time we met up after school and it made me wonder why.” She admitted.


Kyuhyun tilted his head to side, also thinking.


“It’s not the first time.” He said. “Remember, the café.”


Of course Shinkyung remembered. That was a beginning.


“Right. We drank green tea and made that stupid truce.”


“It wasn’t stupid.” Kyuhyun opposed once again but he was smiling. “Without it Miyeon and Donghae wouldn’t be together and… you know…”


“We wouldn’t be friends now, yeah.”


Unlike Kyuhyun, Shinkyung dared to say it out loud.

 

They stayed in silence for a while, just like how it is after big words are said but it wasn’t an uncomfortable one, at least not for Shinkyung.


It’s amazing how things change, she wondered. I’ve never even thought about getting closer than a meter to Cho Kyuhyun and look here I am now. I’m sitting in a car with him without thinking of getting rid of him.

 

Kyuhyun suddenly cleared his throat and put an end to her thoughts with it.


“Seowon called yesterday. She said you have problems with Math.”


Shinkyung leaned forward in shame.


“She- I- Why?”


I can’t believe it. Does not Bae Seowon know how proud I am when it comes to my grades? What was she thinking when she decided to humiliate me by telling it to somebody else? I’d bet she’s also the one who gave my phone number to him… You vixen, see what you get tomorrow!


“Easy there.” Kyuhyun chuckled. “We haven’t talked you out behind your back... Out of all the subjects I’m the greatest at Math. She wants me to help you with it.”


Shinkyung relaxed.


She did ask me if she could help… And now that he so modestly flaunted it, I heard Cho Kyuhyun has some Math championships behind his back… I freaked out because of nothing again. But I’ll still talk with Seowon about giving out personal information.


“Well, that’s nice. From both of you it is… But I can manage.”


Kyuhyun leaned across the car. He looked at a certain spot on her face with a big grin.


“You wrinkle your nose a little when you lie. Have you been aware of that?”


Too close, too close, alarms went off in Shinkyung’s head loudly. She could make out how big Kyuhyun’s orbs are, how the car lamp reflects in them, how his mouth curls upwards in a teasing smile… all in all it was indeed too close. But it didn’t bother her.


It’s just Kyuhyun, she remembered herself. No matter how grumpy and cold sometimes he is, he means no harm.


However the fact that he invaded her personal space was a bit disturbing. Just as much as the fact he was stating.


“No, I haven’t.” Shinkyung blurted out dumbfounded and pushing Kyuhyun away a little, leaned up to check her face in the rearview mirror. “I don’t see anything.”


The boy on his left leaned back in his seat with another chuckle.


“Just say a lie.”


Shinkyung faced the mirror again.


“I hate hotteoks.”


The next moment Kyuhyun literally laughed out loud.


“See? It’s hilarious!” He poked her nose playfully. “You were wrinkling your nose all the way, especially when you were speaking with your father on the phone.


Shinkyung sat back to her seat with a pout, cheeks reddening.


Oh my, it’s so embarrassing.


“I hope I did it too when I said we’re friends.” She sulked.


Kyuhyun finished laughing but the smile on his face remained.


“No, you didn’t. I was watching.”


Shinkyung shook her head and couldn’t help but also laugh a little. She’s always been a person who laughs along easily and especially around somebody like Kyuhyun who rarely did, it comes out naturally.


“I’ll learn how to suppress it so don’t be too happy that you can detect from now on of I’m lying or not.”


“I doubt you will.”


“Watch me.”

 

Since it’s been already an hour since Kyuhyun picked Shinkyung up, the two had decided to call it a night and go home. Their stomachs were filled with delicious hotteoks; they got some fresh air… There isn’t really anything more they could get. Or there is?


“Kyuhyun.” Shinkyung called once the car turned left and arrived to the street where the house of the Kang family has been.


“Yes?”


“You said you’ll help me with Math but we haven’t done anything yet, it’s already eight p.m. and the exam is tomorrow.”


Kyuhyun smirked behind the steering wheel.


“I said Seowon-a asked me to. I haven’t said I will.”


Shinkyung felt the urge to throw him with something. Since the closest object to throw was a tissue in her pocket, she grabbed it, ready to throw.


“You jerk! You took me out to eat hotteok to fail the exam, aren’t you?”


Kyuhyun stopped the car in front of her house before answering.


“No, I just thought you need relax more. I know you’re not stupid, Shinkyung. You can ace that exam with or without my help.”


The fist which was holding the tissue relaxed. Shinkyung felt something in her heart burst. She didn’t know what it was but it felt right.


He’s nice.


Kyuhyun looked through the windscreen and his eyebrows knitted.


“I think you should go in. Your father is standing in the doorway with a creepy smile on his face.”


Shinkyung quickly forgot about the sudden change in herself and got out of the car. She only stopped to say:


“Thank you, Kyuhyun. See you tomorrow.”


The said boy looked too taken aback to answer. But even he knew what to answer Shinkyung was already out of his sight.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Remember, you have exactly forty minutes to fill out the test. I encourage nobody to cheat because if you do, and I will certainly notice it, I prevent you from finishing the test and make sure to repeat the year. If you have a question, put your hands up and I’ll try answer to you. Good job, my students.”


“Thank you, Mrs. Han.” One of three Year 2 classes chorused and all leaned on their desk to start their Math midterm exam.


Shinkyung also opened her test but took a deep breath before starting.


You can do it, Kang Shinkyung. Just think about all the people who trust you. Appa, Seowon, Miyeon, Eunhyuk, Donghae… Even Kyuhyun said some encouraging words to you last night. You can do it.


Shinkyung threw away all of her other thoughts and concentrated only on the paper in front of her.


Fifty questions, here I go!

 

Forty minutes passed quicker than it usually does at Math. As students run out of the time, Mrs. Han cleared to get the attention on her.


“Time is over. Please, leave your tests at your table. Class is dismissed. See you on Tuesday!”


“My improvement reached its limit.” Seowon said dryly, slowly limping out of their homeroom. “My only hope is Mrs. Han losing her glasses. If she can’t see, she probably fails to notice my mistakes.”


“It wasn’t that bad.” Miyeon comforted her and threw a help-me-look to Shinkyung. “Right, Kyungie?”


The said girl nodded confidently.


“It wasn’t that bad. You’re just too exhausted to think positively, Seowonnie. I’m sure you’ll pass.”


“I’m happy you’re sure. Actually I’m happy you’re happy.” Seowon got herself together. “Could Kyuhyun oppa help you yesterday?”


Just by mentioning it, Shinkyung could hear his nice words and see his laugh in front of herself.


*I know you’re not stupid, Shinkyung. You can ace that exam with or without my help.*


“Whoa, what happened? Somebody’s daydreaming~!”


“I do not.” Shinkyung denied without a blink. “Speaking of. Bae Seowon, when did I allow you to give my phone number out?”


Seowon rolled her eyes.


“Girl, please, don’t make a fuss over nothing.”


“It’s something. You should have asked me if you could or not.”


“Okay, stop. There’s no need to make a scene.” Miyeon stopped in confused. “What are you arguing over at all?”


“I gave her number to Kyuhyun oppa in order to improve her grades.” Seowon explained. “And Shinkyung instead of being thankful, attacks me like I’d have did something bad for her.”


Shinkyung sighed and massaged her temple.


Alright, I might overreact it a bit because see, it turned out good at the end. Maybe I shouldn’t sound so harsh. We really shouldn’t get mad at each other with Seowon anymore.


“Sorry. I didn’t want to sound like that.” She said and showed up an apologetic smile. “Next time you ask me and we’re good.”


Seowon narrowed her eyes at Shinkyung thinking what’s going on in her head but showed up an equal bright smile at the end.


“Okay. We’re good.”


Miyeon couldn’t stop marveling at them.


“Whoa, that was a quick made up. So quick I couldn’t even catch what you meant I mean… You met Kyuhyun oppa yesterday for a study session, Kyungie?”


Study session… Not exactly but almost. It will do.


“Yes, he helped me.” Shinkyung responded after a while as they walked down the hall. “If I pass the exam, some credit goes to him.”


“What goes to who?”


Donghae’s sudden appearance at the corner scared all the three girls for real.


Shinkyung jumped a little in surprise.


Oh my.


“Oppa, are you training for your afterlife?” Seowon shrieked.


Even Miyeon had a hand on her heart.


“Oppa, please.”


“I still make your heart skip a beat, huh?” Donghae chuckled and put an arm around her girlfriend. “How did the exam go?”


“I think we’ll all pass.” Miyeon replied, cheeks tingling pink. “There’s nothing which could prevent us to get to cheer on you at the afternoon.”


Shinkyung watched them with a smile.


“I’m cheering on my boyfriend, okay?” Seowon said and with that looked around. “Where is he by the way?”


Donghae broke into a big grin.


“You’ll notice when he’s here.”


Shinkyung was on to ask why but her unsaid question was soon answered by a loud buzz coming from not so far.

 

As Eunhyuk walked to them with a charming smile on his face, girls on both side of the hall were whispering with sticks in her hands and occasionally blurting out something along the lines of:


“Take mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter