Exceeding Expectations

Little Do You Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

„Where the hell were you?!”


Seowon was whispering but considering her basically strong voice she earned a few stares in the dark auditorium.


Shinkyung sat down next to her, Kyuhyun took the next seat on her other side without a word.

“I got lost, sorry.”


“For ten minutes?!”


Yes, Shinkyung knew it was an obvious lie but she didn’t feel necessary to be bothered by it. Seowon has always been way too curious and even so, she didn’t know what to say. Ignoring her is the best I can do in this situation.


“Babe, I can’t hear the movie.” Eunhyuk muttered while dropping popcorn into his mouth, eyes glued to the screen.


Her girlfriend backed down with a huff. Shinkyung once again thanked for her good choice of a boyfriend… Speaking of, what is the soon-to-be-couple doing?


She attempted to look back at the row behind them slowly and undetected. The room was lit by only the big screen so it was hard to differentiate faces but owning almost hawk-like eyes (she could find her father’s contact lens within seconds) she noticed who she was looking for soon.


Both Donghae and Miyeon were watching the movie intently. Their arms were barely touching on the armrest but besides that no interaction was going on between them. Shinkyung found this unacceptable. It’s not how a date should be like. Okay, they were probably surprised because of this sudden seat changing but they should have got over with it and stop being this neutral. She remembered how shy Miyeon is when it comes to things like this but knowing Donghae’s careful but purposeful flirty attitude she hoped for something more. Like constantly exchanged hopeful looks, some nice chatting or… affectionate caress?!


Shinkyung watched in awe as Donghae lightly caressed Miyeon’s face with the back of his hand with an affectionate smile. It didn’t take more than a few seconds but it was enough to make the said girl blush and the watching girl feel like a stalker.


Shinkyung looked down with embarrassment. Oh my.


“Something’s wrong?” Kyuhyun was totally immersed in the movie but sensing panic on his right side he can’t help but ignore it for a while.


“N-nothing… Just don’t turn around, okay?”


But of course her words fell on deaf ears. As Kyuhyun tried to turn, Shinkyung grabbed the sides of his head and kept him in space.


“Is it so hard to listen to me? I said no.”


“They’ve got some action, right?” He smirked.


“You can say it like that.” Shinkyung cleared awkwardly and took back her hands. “Let’s not disturb them.”


Being super aware of her surroundings it was hard to watch the movie playing. She tried to follow the plot but missing almost the entire first half it seemed to be an impossible mission. Shinkyung wasn’t even sure who is who. Okay, the red one is Iron Man for sure, the green is Hulk… but who is other green guy? He can’t be Robin Hood, right? She was thinking hard to get his name right but everything she could think in the moment was the lovely couple in the back.


Now that she saw unmistakable signs from Donghae she should have felt good that he really likes her. After a week of no progression something finally happened! But instead of cheering up she felt wrong. She felt déjà vu for some reason although it was the first time something like that happened. Shinkyung felt sweat rolling down on her nose. What is wrong with me?


“Hey.”


Kyuhyun softly patted her shoulder. Shinkyung didn’t know she’s shivering until she winced from the sudden touch.


“Are you okay?”


“Yes.”


“You don’t seem so.” Kyuhyun examined her face with concerned eyes. “You should go out and wash your face if you feel hot.”


Shinkyung quickly shook her head. She was afraid if she stands up, her legs will give out. She still wasn’t sure what’s gotten into her but seeing the symptoms she knew the last time she felt this bad was ages ago.


“Don’t get me wrong but you’re sweating like a pig.” He tried to joke with her in order to calm her down but even if Shinkyung felt like punching him for it, it didn’t work.


“I’m okay.” She muttered nonetheless.


“You’re not like this because of them, right?”


Oh my, Cho Kyuhyun, why are you so good at reading minds. Shinkyung didn’t know how to answer.


“Come here.”


She didn’t know what he means by that (she had doubts she knows anything at all) until she was drawn close to him with his left hand on her back and her face on his shoulder. If it weren’t them, it could have been considered as a semi-hug.


Shinkyung should have panicked. Her used-to-be-enemy-now-he’s-a-friend-or-something-like-that is hugging her, what is this really? But all she felt at the moment was that there’s someone beside her who tries to soothe her and her mixed feelings. She expected this kind of behavior from her father or either from Miyeon or Seowon not from Cho Kyuhyun himself but it didn’t really matter at the moment.


“It’s okay.” He whispered. Was it gentleness in his voice? Either way, Shinkyung hadn’t said more through the entire movie just closed her eyes and ignored her trembling heart as well as the disturbing scenery behind.

 

 

 

It’s been a while that Kang Shinkyung had a dream about her mother but even so she heard her voice and saw her figure standing by the piano she couldn’t make out her face. She was seven years old when she died. It wasn’t such a long time ago, she should have remembered it but no matter how hard she tried to look she failed.


“Omma?”


Her own voice sounded weak and unsure but was loud enough to be heard in the room. However her mother didn’t look at her, she just stood beside the instrument while looking out the full glass wall.


“Omma.” Shinkyung tried again. Maybe she’s just too occupied with her thoughts, that’s why she doesn’t hear her. “Omma, I’m here.”


The figure beside the window turned but its face wasn’t her mother’s.


“M-Miyeon-a.”


Miyeon smiled sweetly.


“We look good together, don’t we?”


“Who –“


“He’ll never like you as much as he likes me.” She continued without listening to her. “You’ll never get the love you claim you deserve. Let it be Donghae or anybody else… You’ll never be happy, Shinkyung-a, because unlike you hope you do, you don’t deserve it.”


Shinkyung was too stunned to say anything. The room went blur before her eyes but Miyeon’s face was still glowing enough to see it clearly. Or was it her mother’s face? She didn’t know now what is real and what is not. She was about to scream in frustration when felt somebody slowly shaking her shoulder.


“Hey, it’s time to wake up.”

 

The lights in the auditorium were still down but as Shinkyung opened her eyes the first thing she saw were the credits continuously going.


“I didn’t intend to fall asleep.” She was still drowsy a bit as she answered. “Sorry.”


“But you feel better, don’t you?” Kyuhyun lightly patted her shoulder.


Wait a minute, Kyuhyun as Cho Kyuhyun? Shinkyung came back to her senses and kept off at a glance. Embarrassment came upon her just as quick. I can’t believe I fell asleep… moreover on him. We haven’t agreed to be friends more than an hour ago. What was I thinking?


“What?” He on the other hand seemed to be amused.


“I, me… I mean…”


“You don’t have to say anything besides thank you.”


Shinkyung was confused but appreciated his tolerance by doing as he asked her to.


“Thank you.”


Kyuhyun nodded in satisfaction and that was it. They didn’t get into an argument or anything. Shinkyung felt waves of relief coming upon her again. This friendship thing is certainly one hundred times better than that truce thing. No doubts anymore.


As the lights , the others snapped back to reality too.


“This was awesome!” Eunhyuk half-yelled half-whispered.


“I couldn’t rest for a moment, it was super funny!” Leeteuk grinned and they high fived.


Seowon turned her face to Shinkyung. The latter hoped she fell asleep too and didn’t get to witness her sudden proximity with his supposed-to-be-enemy.


“You could rest, couldn’t you?”


Here her hopes go.


“I’m sorry, Seo.”


“I didn’t call you to sleep!” She narrowed her eyes. “And what were you doing on Kyuhyun oppa’s shoulder? Something’s wrong with my eyesight, right?”


“Don’t mind it, Seowon-a.” Sungmin was sitting at the other end of the row the whole time but as the movie ended he came up to them. “They’re busy with their school project.”


“They’re busy with what?”


“Come on Minnie, let’s visit the washroom!” Kyuhyun grabbed the boy’s arm and started to drag him out. “You drank up the cola from everybody.”


Shinkyung knew she owns him with another thank you.


“Why do I have the feeling that you’re being secretive with me again?” Seowon continued desperately when they were out in the lobby. When she wants to know something, she doesn’t give up until she gets to know it.


“I just fell asleep.” Shinkyung explained with a sigh. “You know how it is when you become sleepy; you’re too tired to think. You think I would purposely put my head on Cho Kyuhyun’s shoulder?” Even if we have become friends, I won’t do it again. Although it wasn’t that weird, I won’t.


Seowon shook her head.


“I know nothing now but that you always exceed my expectations.”


There was something suggestive in her voice but Shinkyung couldn’t put a finger on it… And it could be that she was just clearly annoyed without anything suggestive. Bae Seowon is easy to get worked up.


“How did you like the movie?” Miyeon was practically jumping with joy to them. “The boys loved it but boys will be boys.”


Shinkyung couldn’t help but cringe at her presence as she remembered her dream. The Yang Miyeon in her dream and the Yang Miyeon in real life were two different persons, she had no doubts about this but her words were still ringing in her ears. *You’ll never be happy, Shinkyung-a, because unlike you hope you do, you don’t deserve it.* What was this? Why Miyeon said it?


“It was funny at some parts.” She answered carefully.
 

Seowon rolled her eyes.


“Girl, don’t lie, you probably had no idea what was going on.”


True.


Miyeon giggled but as soon as he saw Donghae on the edge of her horizon she abruptly stopped.


“Leeteuk hyung and Hyuk got hungry so we thought about going to get pizza.” He said and flashed a smile. “What do you think?”


“I-It sounds good.” Miyeon stuttered.


Shinkyung smelt something fishy and not only because it was Donghae’s nickname. Miyeon is a scaredy cat but not this much. She can’t be this awkward just because they sat beside each other… or can she?


“Let’s go.” Seowon suppressed a yawn. “I need something to get myself together… Shinkyung, you come too.”


“Um…”


The said girl hesitated. Truth to be told after her condition during the movie it was an absolutely horrible idea. If they get just a little bit more lovey-dovey, I might collapse. On the other hand she wanted to spend some time with the others. Sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter