Lunchtime Interlude

Little Do You Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“… The track you’ve just heard was “Number 9” by the T-ARA. Hope you all liked it! I personally like listening to something soothing during lunch so what about “Coffee Shop” by BAP next? Believe me, it will soothe you well. Have a nice lunch, Sukjong High!”


Shinkyung turned off her microphone and leaned back in her seat with a pout. She did well during Happy Hours but hosting during lunch breaks, even so she did it for third time in a row, seemed to be none of her style. I’m all awkward and stiff. I shouldn’t have switched shift with Sungmin-a… But it was the only way to escape from awkward lunch breaks.


Three long days had passed since her outburst in the restaurant but things haven’t got better. Truth to be told, she didn’t even try to make them better and not just because of her vow of not being too attached to anybody. She had a lot of chances to corner Seowon and talk it out – like in their homeroom, after school or even through phone – but Shinkyung couldn’t do it.


The most surprising thing is that their friends didn’t do too much about it as well. Miyeon threw some meaningful glances at her from time to time and Eunhyuk often left them alone on purpose but that was all. Nobody said something, like they had been waiting for the two girls to solve their problem… which was kind of hopeless since none of the two girls know how or where to start.


Shinkyung looked for the next song to play half-heartedly. Everybody wants to help everybody but in the end everybody ends up hurting the other… She had missed Seowon a lot but she was still a bit angry with her. She knows well that I’m not planning to date anybody. I thought I made it clear during first year.


Not long after Kang Shinkyung had entered Sukjong High School, she got asked out by a boy from a year above but she turned the offer down immediately. It’s not like she rudely said no, neither the fault was in him; she just nicely explained that she doesn’t want to date anybody. *School is first.*, she said with a smile. It was partly true so she didn’t feel so bad about it… unlike the poor guy who slowly nodded then ran away like a little child. Rumors say he even cried but nobody could confirm it because he hid in the school gym’s locker room.


One thing is sure, from the next day on no male tried to corner Kang Shinkyung from Year 1 with confessing in mind. Bae Seowon also from Year 1 wanted to bite the said girl’s head off (“What did you think? You ruined your chance! Nobody will even try to like you from now on, you idiot!”) but Shinkyung knew she did well. She thought with this move she can avoid the topic “love” in the future and that is all what matters… And it worked amazingly well until Lee Donghae happened.


On the other hand Shinkyung knew she doesn’t play well either. In reality, she did just as wrong as Seowon did. I haven’t got to talk with Miyeon about the movie night since I always hide in the studio but still, I wasn’t fair. I have no right to play with her feelings.


Yang Miyeon from Year 2 was known for being an angel but Shinkyung has been her friend for a while and got to know that when it comes to something serious, Miyeon can’t tolerate any wrong-doings. She was a bit afraid to have another round of heart-to-heart but she knew well that it’s something even she, the forever fugitive, can’t escape.

 

 

Lunch break soon ended which meant two things. One, Shinkyung’s awful check-ins ended as well which was a good thing. And two, Shinkyung had to go back to class which was kind of a bad thing because Seowon and Miyeon were around as well.


Shinkyung piled up the papers on the table then got her backpack with a sigh. Lessons used to be considered as good things by me. They truly were – although sometimes she finds some part of them unnecessary and even boring, they engage her attention well so work as distractions the best. Not to mention that at the end of them she gets homework giving more to think about in the afternoon. Shinkyung was against his father when he insisted her attending public school instead of getting private tuition but she couldn’t be thankful enough for his decision… Now was an exception though.


She was about to close the door (until ‘Happy Hours’ which begins at straight two o’clock the studio doesn’t operate) when a hand on her shoulder startled her.


“Hey.”


Shinkyung turned around with a bewildered expression but as soon as she saw the owner of the hand she let out a heavy sigh in relief.


“Oppa, you scared me.”


“Sorry.” Eunhyuk smiled but his smile didn’t seem to belong to his usual happy ones. “Can we talk?”


“Now?”


“Yes. It doesn’t take more than five minutes.” He took a glance at the clock on the wall. “As far as I know my girlfriend’s timetable you still have at least ten minutes before Math.”


Shinkyung nodded and she stepped back to the studio Eunhyuk following her. Just as they took places, he already started speaking.


“How is it?”


“What, oppa?”


“You know lunch break radio work.” He explained while taking a look around.


Shinkyung flashed a little smile.


“It’s okay, I guess.”


She felt as awkward as she could and as she saw Eunhyuk felt the same. Yeah, they had something in common, namely Bae Seowon but still it wasn’t very often that they were left alone in two. Actually, it’s probably the fifth time, Shinkyung wondered.


It happened first during summer camp. Not so long after Eunhyuk and Seowon got together, they all had decided to go to a summer camp as a vacation and also as bonding time between the two circles of friends. On the last night they had a big campfire – they ran out of sausages and before Shinkyung could have gone to get them, Seowon was already on her way leaving her new boyfriend and friend alone around the fire. For minutes no conversation was going on between them because none of them knew what to talk about but once Eunhyuk broke the ice with a funny story which happened with Seowon during one of their dates, Shinkyung laughed with him and the mood slightly got better. When Seowon got back, the two was engaged in a conversation about her and her habits. (The said girl wasn’t too happy about it but turned a blind eye over it once she realized they befriended each other at least.)


Since then Shinkyung and Eunhyuk couldn’t really speak in two. Blame it on that they mostly meet in school where a lot of people are usually around or blame it on the fact that even if they met outside school Seowon, Miyeon and Donghae (sometimes Leeteuk and now even Sungmin) come along which means just again people around but they still tend to turn a bit awkward when it comes to only the two of them.


It’s a different awkward from the one I have with Donghae though, Shinkyung thought. The reason why I’m so nervous is that I don’t know Eunhyuk oppa. He’s nice and funny and the perfect boyfriend for Seowon-a but… I don’t really know a thing about him. And the thing that I’m not used to only have him around makes it harder also.


“As I see it doesn’t suit you.” Eunhyuk spoke up after a little break. “I’m not dissing you.”


“I know.” Shinkyung answered with a broken smile. I’m probably seriously wrong at if even he who usually can’t stop praising me noticed it. Great. “But I’m sure after some practice I’ll be able to –“


“Just come and eat with us, dongsaeng-a.”


Shinkyung let out a big sigh. She expected him to talk about the matter with Seowon.


“Oppa, you know that I’m not mad at you or anybody else.”


“Then why do you keep making excuses and avoiding us?” Eunhyuk asked without anger. No, he wasn’t angry, he was just desperate to know what’s really going on. “I know that we shouldn’t have arranged that stupid seating on Saturday. It was a mistake and I apologize for it.”


Shinkyung looked up in disbelief.


“It’s not you who should, oppa. You did nothing wrong.”


“I’d lie if I said I don’t want to see you with Hae.” Eunhyuk dropped the bomb with a faint grin then went back to being serious. “Anyway, it’s not right that you can’t even let Seowon to explain the situation. You know that she did it for you not against you. You should give her a chance.”


He’s right. It wasn’t a very nice move but it’s not something which I should stop being her friend for. After all, she did it for me. She didn’t eve think about that her plan could backfire… Not to mention that I’m not saint either.


Shinkyung looked at the boy in front of her with a kind smile.


“Okay, I’ll talk with her later.”


“Really?” Eunhyuk threw a fist in the air. “Whoa, I’m better than I thought!”


“Huh?”


“I’ve made a bet with Sungmin-a and Leeteuk hyung who’ll be able to get you back.” The boy sheepishly admitted. “We love you this much.”


Shinkyung rolled her eyes. Why am I even surprised?


“Did you at least win something?


Eunhyuk grinned widely.


“Not something I can tell you right now… But you’re definitely the best, dongsaeng-a!”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Math has never been too easy for Shinkyung.

Yes, she’s been at the top at every subjects but while at most of them she didn’t have to try hard (like Literature, History and Science) there were ones which she did have to work hard to get good grades in. Mathematics was a subject from the latter bunch so it wasn’t really good that she arrived late. It was even worse that her latest test turned out to be a failure.


“I’m a bit disappointed, Shinkyung-ssi, but I’m sure you can write the next one better.” Her Math teacher, Mrs. Han said after handing out her paper.


Shinkyung stared at the big “85%” written at the beginning of the test dumbfounded. It’s been ages since she got worse than 90% in Math. While it still was a relatively good percentage, she couldn’t help but feel disturbed by it. Oh my, what is happening? It’s okay that I have difficulties with my private life but that I have some with school life is not okay.


“Don’t be too sad, Kyungie.” Miyeon whispered after the lesson had ended and they got ready to go home. “Yours is still way better than mine.”


“But what if it’s only the beginning? I can’t fall behind.”


“There’s no way you will do. It’s just a little slump. You’ll overcome it in no minutes like you always do.”


Shinkyung put the annoying paper in her backpack and shut her locker close. She looked around. Most of the students were already at home, the school almost seemed to be empty. It was the right time.


“Miyeonnie.”


“Yes?” Her friend was having difficulties with the padlock of her locker but paid attention nonetheless.


“How did you feel yourself on Saturday?”


It wasn’t a very direct question which was bad because until then Miyeon didn’t seem to get signs or references well but Shinkyung still didn’t feel brave enough to ask about something like this directly.


“I felt good until you left.” Miyeon answered, successfully closing her locker.


“Miyeonnie –“


“I don’t blame you or anything.” She continued. “It’s just… There’s so many thing I don’t understand.”


Me too, Shinkyung wanted to say. Me too, Yeonnie.


“For example why did you and Seowon-a fight? In the cinema you seemed to be getting on well… Or why Kyuhyun oppa went after you? I’m glad he did but I want to know his reason why. And I’m also curious why Donghae oppa sat beside me instead of you… You see? I can’t run out of questions.”


“I can answer some of them.”


“I feel like everyone could but me.” Miyeon sighed.


Shinkyung’s heart clenched. She obviously feels left out instead of protected. It’s not right. She shouldn’t feel frustrated, she should feel happy. It’s not how it should be. She put down her backpack and linked arm with her.


“I’m sorry. I just – You know what? I’ll tell you something big.”


Miyeon’s eyes immediately sparkled with inte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter