All Roads Lead to Rome

Little Do You Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was Saturday which meant cleaning day in the dictionary of the Kang family - as well as in other families – but in their case it was a harder thing to do. Yet the Kang family consisted of a father and a daughter only, their little house was still too big and spacious with a lot of furniture to clean for two people, moreover being busy people it wasn’t easy to spare time for cleaning... However Shinkyung and Mr. Kang have always done it neatly even if it meant less study- and work time. Even if it meant less time for matchmaking.


Shinkyung switched the vacuum cleaner off and upended with a big sigh. Four days have passed and I still couldn’t plan anything out. Oh my, what should I do? If I won’t do something quickly, a catastrophe might happen… Although he confessed he likes Miyeon, his flirty behavior is worrisome. She still couldn’t forget the way Donghae smiled and threw compliment-like-sentences at any minute.


“Kid, are you done with vacuum cleaning?” Mr. Kang’s voice echoed through the little house. “I’d like to use it in the living room.”


“Yes, appa, I’ll bring it.” Shinkyung answered and she left her room as well as this dangerous thought behind.


She found her dad in his frilly, green apron sorting out a bunch of papers.


“What are those?”


“Oh, just some old papers.” He shrugged. “I mean none of us needs these prescriptions anymore, right? I thought about getting rid of them.”


Shinkyung wavered a bit at the mention of the past but tried not to show it on the outside.


“Yes, just throw them out, appa. We don’t need them anymore… Here is the vacuum cleaner.”


“Thanks.” Mr. Kang took it then not even looking away from the papers, he sighed. “There are a lot of them. I tried to count them but mixed up… And there’s some even in your room, aren’t there?”


She slowly nodded instead of answering. If she has answered with words, she was afraid she would have said something bad, something which his dad wouldn’t have been happy about.


It happened such a long time ago and none of us have been able to move on since then, Shinkyung thought with invisible tears in the corners of her eyes. For my part it’s okay but for appa’s… He should be happy. For his part it’s not okay.


The deep silence was interrupted by the phone on the coffee table. Mr. Kang was the first who moved, her daughter was still numb because of the previous scene.


“Kang residence… Hi, Miyeon-a.”


Shinkyung raised her head hearing her friend’s name. Miyeon?


“Yes, we’re about to have lunch.” He smiled. “No, it doesn’t mean that she’s busy. Feel free to come over! … Of course, it’s not a problem. We’re waiting for you.”


Finishing the conversation Mr. Kang turned back with a wide smile. He seemed to be completely forgotten about their earlier conversation.


“Miyeonnie comes out to have lunch with us, isn’t this great?”


“Y-yes, it is.” Shinkyung cleared waking up fully. “But you could have asked me, she’s my friend in the first place.”


“I could have but knowing how serious you are about the upcoming tests I couldn’t let you say no to this amazing offer. Am I right or am I right?”


Shinkyung let out a little chuckle. Most of the time she didn’t like seeing her dad in his hyper mode but this wasn’t one of those times. Cheers up instantly and thinks positively when it’s needed the most… That’s my appa.


“You’re a genius.”


He winked.


“I know.”

 

 

 

This statement was truly proven at the afternoon after the girls finished the delicious lunch – appa even came up with a strawberry cheesecake from nowhere – and they sat down in Shinkyung’s room.


“I’m full.” Miyeon puffed her cheeks and let out a big sigh. She came to study no matter how hard Mr. Kang insisted to play something instead but after eating so much it wasn’t easy to make up her mind to do it actually.


Just like Shinkyung who had a completely different thing in her mind. Though we really should learn for that upcoming, promised-to-be-super-hard Korean history test, I can use this opportunity to go on with my plan. School should be first but in this situation we are in her happiness matters more.


“Yes, me too.” She nodded. “I don’t think I have enough strength to lift up a book.”


“Such a shame, I brought home half of the school library. What will we do about them?” Miyeon chuckled patting her bag.


Shinkyung sat up on the bed and glanced at her carefully. Let yourself go and go with the flow, Kang Shinkyung…


“What about some girl talk?”


“Huh?” Miyeon seemed to be genuinely surprised, her eyebrows lifted uncommonly up. “Again?”


They’ve been classmates for two years now but not even once during these years came words like this out from her friend’s mouth. Kang Shinkyung is a diligent student who is always busy with learning and thinks too much about her future that’s why she doesn’t have time for anything else – that’s what Miyeon and everybody around her thought.


So she had every right to be surprised but Shinkyung responded with an amazed look nonetheless. She had to her best not to be seen through so easily.


“Come on, Miyeonnie. It’s been such a long time we’ve talked about something else than learning.”


“It’s true but why now? History –“


“Why do you avoid talking with me about love life so much? I’m your friend. I should be the one you talk about things like this not to a certain jerk."


Shinkyung’s eyes widened realizing what she has just said. She was a bit upset about the failed truce yet she shouldn’t have told everything this easily. Oh my, I wasn’t supposed to say this!


It took a long time for Miyeon to react. She just sat with trembling lips and suddenly-pale face next to her for minutes.


“S-Shinkyung-a.”


“I mean I tried to talk to you about this topic at the radio party but you seemed to be just as stiffened as you are now so I grew suspicious if you perhaps like anybody… I’m not angry with you or anything I’m just frustrated because of the test. Sorry.” Miyeon seemed to be so frightened that Shinkyung retreated at a glance.

 

After a long minute Miyeon let out a heavy sigh then smiled upon her. The sudden change in her attitude surprised Shinkyung.


“I’m the one who should say sorry. You’re right; I should be more opened to you.”


Shinkyung remained in silence. She had no right to blame her. She’s not opened up enough? What about me?


“I’d gladly say everything to you. I’m just scared, you know?” Miyeon continued while niggling with the strap of her bag. “Not scared of you of but of this topic basically.”


I understand you. I’m frightened as well, Shinkyung wanted to say but instead of it patted her friend’s hand.


“I really didn’t want to scare you. I want to help you… But if you don’t want to talk about it, we can dig into the adventurous centuries of the Korean history.”


That wasn’t part of her plan but seeing Miyeon unusually odd, Shinkyung turned a page in her book and tried to joke it off. I’m doing this matchmaking for the sake of her, right? If she doesn’t want it then I back off. It’s this easy.


Just as she cleared this out in her mind, Donghae’s smile popped into her head. And what about him? He’s supposed to like Miyeon… Aish why everything is so complicated?


“Kyungie, are you listening to me?”


Shinkyung snapped back to reality.


“Sorry, I zoned out.”


“You’re zoning out pretty much lately.”

 

Miyeon showed up a bright smile and after a few moments of hesitating she continued.


“I asked how your first love was.”


Shinkyung lowered her eyes and blushed deeply at a glance. She shouldn’t have been since she got what she wanted – finally she’s able to know more about Miyeon’s feelings – but instead of happiness all she felt was embarrassment creeping up on her. How should I answer this question without looking weird?


“I know it’s a sensitive topic for you too.” Miyeon quickly added. “Seowon always reminds me not talking about love and things like that around you… I’m not asking it now because I’m curious about this topic related to you but because I’ve kind of got lost and need some guidance.”


Shinkyung nodded approvingly. Miyeon is a nice, caring friend, she would never do anything which she could purposely hurt with. If I talk about it, I’ll do it for her good.


“I see… Well, I must say that Seowon-a is a way better guide for you considering my neither exciting nor alive love life –“


“It’s okay.” She cut her off. “I want to hear your experiences.”


Shinkyung chuckled in embarrassment. Her palms were sweating and unwanted pictures flew to her mind but she kept staying still and spoke up.


“I don’t think I’ve ever been love… And I certainly have never dated anybody.”


“Never?” Miyeon looked like she’s about to faint. “Not even once?”


“I’m not an expert at this area but according to my primary school classmates, I quote, I was close to it. I-I don’t mean I was popular with boys I just happened to have a friend around who was a boy most of the time that’s the reason why they said this. Honestly I don’t think they’re right.”


She felt bad talking about herself like this. It sound like I would boast or something but I’m just voicing the opinion of my previous classmates out. I do believe all of those guys were just friends… And probably I’m the one who’s right.


“You don’t think?” Miyeon chuckled. “Shinkyung-a, you’re pretty, smart and nice. Of course there are boys around you!”


Shinkyung bit the inside of her cheeks nervously. I don’t deserve these compliments; I’m none of what she’s just said…


“Anyways, just like now they aren’t more than friends.” She continued after getting herself together. “You see I have Leadernim, Eunhyuk, Sungmin and Donghae as friends and I don’t feel more about any of them.”


Liar. The little voice pounded in her head continuously. You don’t feel more about any of them? Then what about Donghae? Shinkyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter