As Planned Part 1

Little Do You Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day has been long enough so when the four of them finally, truly got in the car to drive to the party location Shinkyung was beyond exhausted.


Choosing “the right dress” took another hour because no matter what she chose, Seowon had something against it. ‘Too bright’, she said once. ‘Too dark’ she said next. ‘Choose something comfortable’ Seowon advised for the third time but she clearly had changed her mind because when Shinkyung chose her favorite dress, she was howled down. (‘I know we’re going to be among ourselves but we’re girls after all. Make some effort, okay?’)


And it’s not all. When the three girls finally got ready (Miyeon also used her amazing make up skills again which took some more time) Shinkyung found her father casually talking with Cho Kyuhyun by the car.


“Kyuhyun-a is going to take care of you and also brings you back home.” Mr. Kang announced before they left. “Behave well, kid. Don’t make such a precious guy angry.”

 

Shinkyung sighed and leaned on the car window for support.

Precious guy, huh? He’s more okay than I thought but still, appa went overboard. Oh my, why did they have to even meet? Appa won’t stop shipping me with him from now on…


“Kyungie, please, get away from the window, you ruin your make up.” Miyeon broke the silence in the car.


The said girl grumpily but followed the order just when Seowon finished her conversation on the phone.

 

“I’ve just talked with my darling. They are all there already, except for the birthday boy, of course. Everything goes as planned.”


“They have the cake with them?” Kyuhyun asked behind the wheel.


Seowon reddened and put out her phone once again.


“Damn it, I forgot to ask!”

 

Though everybody had a different opinion about how and where Lee Donghae’s nineteenth birthday should be celebrated, the outcome was rewarding for everybody: birthday at an amusement park. They have the whole park for themselves tonight for that matter. Shinkyung couldn’t believe it when Seowon excitedly called her a week ago with the news. I mean who has money or connection for this?


Well, it turned out that Cho Kyuhyun has both and even he was the one who came up with idea despite of addressing him as Sir Bad Ideas. At first nobody was a big fan of the idea (good friend deserves good party but everyone has their limits, especially when it comes to money) but Kyuhyun won over them saying he knows the owner so they would probably get some discount. Sir Bad Ideas had instantly become Cho Kyuhyun the Great.

 

Shinkyung looked through the window.

There’s a long night ahead… I have no idea what’s going to happen and it makes me frustrated. I know what my role is, that’s not the real problem. I’ll smile, cheer and behave as a good friend does at her good friend’s birthday. The problem is that I don’t know how long I can do it.


Kyuhyun stopped the car as they reached their destination. Seowon practically jumped out of the vehicle, Miyeon followed her giggling.


“Are you planning on staying in the car instead?”


Kyuhyun’s voice dragged Shinkyung out of her thoughts. She hesitantly shook her head.

“No. Sorry, I’m just… nervous I guess? Anyway, I’ll be fine by the party starts. Let’s go.”


One of her legs was out of the car when she felt a clasp on her arm. It was soon followed by a rather gentle voice:


“You don’t have to stay through it all, you know.”


Shinkyung sat back to the passenger seat.


“You’re wrong, I have to. I’m also worried about how I’m going to react to whatever happens but I have to stay as his friend.”


Wait, what have I just said? Shinkyung realized mortified. Did I admit that I’m close to have a panic attack again?


“I acknowledge your determination but you can’t. You apparently won’t.” Kyuhyun said then looked at her. “Believe me, Shinkyung-a, I know.”


He knows?


“You’re going to collapse sooner you would expect it.” He continued, looking far again. “You’ll might be smiling on the outside but crying in the inside. You will clap and cheer but want to leave as soon as possible at the same time... No matter how hard you’re going for a friend, you only hurt yourself with it. Even if you achieve what you want, the only thing you truly earn from it is destroying yourself.”


Shinkyung listened to Kyuhyun in awe. That was something which she never has expected to hear from him. She saw him in a different light at a glance.


He sounds like somebody who once tried his best for a friend… Could it be that he really did? That’s why he is so understanding with me and comforts me when it’s needed, right? Oh, Kyuhyun. Could it be that your things also didn’t go as planned?


Suddenly Shinkyung felt a rush of pity wash her away and before she could recognize what she’s doing she enveloped the boy beside her in a hug.


Kyuhyun – as expected from someone be hugged by his past subject of hate – stiffened.


“Kang –“


“I’m trying to be a friend like we’ve promised. Don’t ruin the moment.”


Shinkyung is not sure but she swears she saw Kyuhyun smile a bit.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The first event of the party was Donghae’s arriving, of course. Leeteuk and Eunhyuk went to his house to pick him up and the latter even blindfolded him “for the complete surprise”. (It was totally unnecessary and cliché but no one cared.)


As the car driven by Leeteuk arrived, the crowd of people started to whoop like in some American teenage rom-com. (Seriously, it was too much, even for Shinkyung who usually doesn’t watch movies like that but cheered with others nonetheless.)


More people came than Shinkyung would have thought; actually a lot of people were strangers for her. I see some kids from school but the rest… I knew that he’s a popular guy but I’ve never thought that this much.


Donghae got out of the car with a winner’s smile. He was wearing jeans with a white T-shirt and a light blue shirt above and hell, he looked great as always.


Why I am not surprised? Shinkyung admitted with a bitter sigh.


“Lead him to the stage before the crowd eats him up!” Seowon suggested and her boyfriend did it with a grin. (Yes, they even built a stage… Shinkyung now wasn’t surprised by anything.)


Sangtae gave Donghae a microphone (Leadernim brought the school radio to the amusement park and even heartily offered DJing again, no matter how hard everybody opposed it) and once the crowd successfully grew kind of silent the birthday boy spoke into it.


“Well… I don’t know what to say.”


“A ‘thank you’ would be nice.” Kyuhyun muttered.


Shinkyung couldn’t help but grin hearing that.


“Knowing my friends I guessed they’ll do something to celebrate my birthday but I’ve never expected it to be like this.” Donghae continued after a bit pause and looked at the group of party organizers standing on the left. “Seriously, guys, are you crazy? An amusement park? What’s going to be next, the whole Lotte World?”


People laughed by the suggestion, only Eunhyuk didn’t who got hold of the microphone meantime.


“I hope it was only a joke and not an actual wish.”


Donghae laughed and showed up two of his fingers.

Eunhyuk’s face changed to being mortified.


“Ya, do I look like a bank?!”


Shinkyung laughed with the crowd at the unfolding scene. She knew something about Donghae and Eunhyuk’s legendary friendship but always being the isolate-themselves-one she has never got to witness it closer.


They’re teasing each other so sometimes they come off like they’re not that close but seeing this, I can’t be more sure that their friendship is rare and genuine… Eunhyuk as a friend is someone I wish to be.


“So, where is my cake?” Donghae asked looking around after regaining the microphone.


Leeteuk shook his head with a smile then decided to join the boys’ conversation by shouting up:


“Donghae-ah, don’t be greedy!”


“Oppa is right, look around first!” Miyeon giggled.


Ever since Donghae had arrived she’s been a bit giddy. Not like Shinkyung would have minded, it was nice to see her smile… She deserves a little rest and fun time with her friends. Everybody does but especially her.


“I know, I know.” Donghae turned back to all the people who got invited. “I’m happy to get to celebrate my birthday with people I cherish... I know it doesn’t belong here but lately I had some things which I was anxious about. Seeing all of you standing before me with smiles on your faces reminds me how lucky I actually am. I’m lucky to have friends like you.”


The level of cheesiness had started to rise some time already and by now it almost reached its peak; only the magic phrase “I love you” was missing. Some people could bear with it (Shinkyung found the speech touching) but there were also people who can’t.


Yeah, the Flower Boy Class, you’ve guessed it.


“Ya, Donghae-a, if you get more vanilla, I’ll throw up.” The tall, flirty guy named Kangin said. (Shinkyung remembered their names because they made a rather big impression on her.)


“Time for love confession, everybody, the mood is given!” The little one, Ryeowook chirped.


Even Yesung, the quiet one joined in by an unmistakable whistle.


Donghae pretended to be offended by the comments with a hand on his heart.


“Let me have my moment, please.”


“You can have tons of it later.” Eunhyuk patted his shoulder then spoke into the microphone. “Now we should proceed with the party, right, everybody?”


“Yeah!” The crowd shouted enthusiastically.


Seowon made her way to the stage and described the rules:


“Okay, people. You can use any of the plays but please, always listen to the operators. The same goes with the food and drink bar… Now the time is six thirty. Come back here, to the stage by eight to witness how our birthday boy makes his wish and sheds some tears. Have fun!”

 

Just like in school when the bell rings, students started to flow away from the stage to the plays of the park. The flow was so strong that Shinkyung almost tripped as clumsy she is when she’s deep in thinking.


For her luck Kyuhyun was standing just behind her so grabbing her shoulders she stayed in place.


“You’re already done?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter