Hints

Little Do You Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I should have fun you say?”


“Why? You have fun in your life?” Kyuhyun asked Shinkyung as they started to walk back to the place where Sungmin and Eunhyuk were already on to devour all the food Seowon had made after school. “Although I don’t know you well, I heard enough how impossible is to get you out of your shell.”


Shinkyung shrugged the feeling off which said he’s teasing or mocking her and she should snap back at him. They’ve made up a week ago so it was still a new thing for her and her Cho-Kyuhyun-hater-instincts. That’s just his way of talking. He says what’s on his mind carelessly. It’s not something bad though.


“Does someone must come out of their shell to have fun?” She asked in a low voice avoiding his eyes. “Is it a must to have fun at all?”


That’s not the time to be emotionally weak, Shinkyung reminded herself but the words were out already. She closed her eyes for a second and took a deep breath just after.


“Ya, Kang.” Kyuhyun carefully nudged her arm while analyzing her face. “Are you okay? You don’t have another… you know what, right?”


Shinkyung cleared to get herself together. I should have known that breaking down in front of him is not a clever idea.


“It only happened once.”

 

Kyuhyun sent her a disapproving look.

 

“Panic attack is not something you can disregard.”


“I’m not disregarding it because I don’t have one.” She sent a meaningful look to the boy.

“I’d appreciate if you didn’t talk about it anymore… Let’s go back.”


Nobody can know more than this. Actually nobody should know even this little… But somehow I’m glad that the one who got to know this little is Cho Kyuhyun. The said boy didn’t insist but continued walking and Shinkyung was grateful for it. I can’t believe what I’m saying but he’s understanding and somehow caring... He looks like a person who holds secrets well too.


“Just in time!” Seowon grinned as the two of them finally arrived to the blanket. “I could save up some sandwiches for you.”


“Thank you.” Shinkyung smiled back while taking the food. After a few seconds of thinking she got one more and stretched it out towards the boy on her side. “Would you like some?”


Kyuhyun looked taken aback – just like the other three persons around – but accepted it with a thankful nod.


“Whoa.” Eunhyuk couldn’t hold his surprise in anymore. “That’s what I call a great progress!”


“You see. Those school project afternoons actually work.” Sungmin spoke up with a smug smile.


Shinkyung almost choked on her sandwich. Kyuhyun glared at his friend.


“Ya, Sungmin-a. Stop it, will you? There are no school projects.”


The said boy raised his eyebrows.


“Really? Then what do you have?”


“It’s a misunderstanding.” Shinkyung got to explain after the bite successfully landed in her stomach.


“Misunderstanding or whatever, it’s easy to see you two warmed up to each other.” Seowon commented. She was curious but her tone wasn’t even close to be demanding. She learnt her lesson it seemed.


“We realized that being enemies leads nowhere.” Kyuhyun took over. “So we’ve started to work on our friendship.”


Shinkyung glanced at him. He speaks well. It’s not exactly the truth but it’ll do.


“You’re friends?” Sungmin asked. He looked bewildered somehow.


Shinkyung and Kyuhyun nodded in unison.


“And it’s not a temporary thing but a permanent one, right?” Eunhyuk said enthusiastically.


Another nod in unison. (Shinkyung would have been surprised by their harmony if she wasn’t so interested in their friend’s reaction.)


“Finally!” Seowon raised her arms above her head in a cheer-like manner. “No more awkward lunch breaks! No more separate programs! Here, have some congratulatory pie, friends.”


That’s it? Shinkyung was beyond surprised. It’s not she’s been anticipating outrage or any kind of bad reaction but the thing that they accepted it this easily was unbelievable and relieving at the same time. Once again, if I had known, I’d have made up with him sooner.


“What a shame Miyeonnie is not here!” Sungmin sighed as everybody got their portion of strawberry pie. “She’d be so happy hearing the news at first hand.”


Shinkyung hummed in agreement. Miyeon, always the diligent and hard-working student, has been getting extra classes three times a week at an academy just like today. Even it was Friday Miyeon couldn’t stop thinking about her future and after their talk before the radio party Shinkyung realized just how important this topic is to her. I hope she doesn’t tire herself out too much.


“Donghae too.” Although Kyuhyun said that his tone didn’t have that much longing in it. “Where did he go?”


That was a rather good question.


“Something came up.” Eunhyuk quoted succinctly.


That explains why he left so abruptly, Shinkyung thought. After the game had ended, Donghae quickly said hi and left the school area within minutes without explaining anything. Being neither a regular spectator nor a picnic participant, Shinkyung only found his rush odd but as Sungmin said to her later, Donghae has been attending their picnics regularly, usually without any miss.


“And what good news it did…” Seowon grinned with a smile which usually doesn’t foreshadow any good.


“Did you say something to him, Seowon-a?” Sungmin asked with a bad feeling. It wasn’t likely because although Bae Seowon is known for her sharp tongue she only jokes with it when it comes to Lee Donghae. Rudely ordering him home is not her style.


“No, silly, but his leaving comes in handy. We have to talk about his upcoming birthday.”


“His upcoming what?!”


Seowon, Eunhyuk, Sungmin and Kyuhyun all looked at Shinkyung as one weirdly. This kind of outburst wasn’t her style.


“Are you okay?” Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows, the corners of his mouth twitching. Was he biting back a smile?


Shinkyung shook her head vehemently. No, no, I’m not okay at all… Oh my, I’m so doomed.


“It can’t be that you forgot about it.” Eunhyuk pointed out leisurely. “You keep in mind things like this.”


“I-I usually do.” Shinkyung stuttered still in panic mode. “Are we really that into October? I mean isn’t it, I don’t know, only the beginning of the month?”


Seowon wordlessly facepalmed.


“Noona, do you even know what day is it today?” Sungmin snickered.


Shinkyung literally saw her mind go blank. I’m too panicked to think.


“Today is the third of October.” Kyuhyun spoke slowly and pronouncedly. He was either the first one who had pity on her or the one who grew tired of her clueless state first. “But we have to think and plan ahead if we want Hae to have a great birthday party.”


Eunhyuk patted Shinkyung’s head reassuringly.


“So chill, dongsaeng-a, we have exactly twelve days before it.”


Shinkyung senses came back at a glance. We have twelve days… I have twelve long days before it…


She turned to her best friend on the side.


“Bae Seowon, do you know the meaning of the word ‘upcoming’? You freaked me out.”


“Blame yourself first.” The said girl shrugged her scolding off easily. “Shouldn’t you be preparing your gift already, girl? It’s going to be Donghae oppa’s nineteenth birthday. You turn up with a book and you’re dead.”


Shinkyung lowered her head. What she says is actually right. She’s been trying hard to be a good friend despite of not spending enough time together so every single time somebody’s birthday who she knows and likes has been a month away, she prepares a gift with thought and care to make up for her absence in their lives. Or she did prepare gift with thought and care until now. How could I forget about a birthday? Especially about Donghae’s… My life might be more complicated and busy than it used to be but I shouldn’t have forgotten about something as important as this occasion is.


“Don’t be too sad, noona.” Sungmin tried cheering her up. “I’m sure you can find something great for hyung.”


“But meanwhile we have to organize the best birthday party he ever had.” Eunhyuk proposed with a wide grin. “It’s also going to be the first birthday we celebrate together so let’s make it the best!”


It was a very nice thought but sadly easier said than done.


“I’m still insisting on the bowling party.” Seowon started determined.


“A lot of people will be there, a club would be a better place.” Eunhyuk recommended. He hardly ever goes against her girlfriend’s opinion so it showed how much he cares about his best friend’s birthday.


“And what about a house party? It’s more comfortable.” Sungmin reasoned. “I’ve talked with Leeteuk hyung. His family has a weekend house in Sokcho.”


Shinkyung looked back and forth between them. From the way they talked she realized that they probably had another brainstorming before this one. So it’s quite a wonder that they couldn’t even decide about the place… We have twelve days after all.


“You think they’ll ever agree?”


Sitting beside her Kyuhyun was rather entertained instead of deep in thinking. It made Shinkyung have flashbacks from their short but memorable truce-times. His laziness hasn’t changed a bit.


“If you helped then maybe they would.”


“Nuh, they don’t let me speak.”


“Ya, you two!” Seowon threw a biscuit at them to get their attention. “It’s pretty nice you made up and all but we need some help here.”


“I’d help you gladly~” Kyuhyun sing-song but Eunhyuk howled him down at a glance.


“You think we went nuts? If this party was up to you, you would just accompany him to a McDonalds and buy him a Happy Meal menu because there’s an oh-so-cool action figure in it.”


Sungmin gave Shinkyung a look but she was just as perplexed as he was. Action figure for birthday? What are they talking about?


Seowon smirked.


“You still have it, boo? I thought you threw it out right then.”


“He liked it, he was just too touched to say thank you.” Kyuhyun added with a smirk.


Oh no. He couldn’t.

It dawned on Sungmin slowly as well.


“Eunhyuk hyung got an action figure for his birthday?”


“Last year, on his eighteenth one.” Seowon confirmed it while circling her arms around his boyfriend’s neck. She looked into Eunhyuk’s eyes with a smile. “It was such a memorable gift.”


Sungmin rolled on the ground with a laugh and even Shinkyung, the forever serious one bit back a smile. It wasn’t very nice, not even creative but let’s admit it, it’s something really funny.


“You’re crazy.” She poked Kyuhyun’s side in disapproval. He just winked.


“He is, isn’t he?” Eunhyuk burst out in a whiny voice. Now that the incident was brought up he couldn’t help but freak out by it again. “I thought I sink in shame when he shouted „Happy Birthday!” in the middle of the restaurant.”


“Ya, it wasn’t that bad.” Seowon tried to comfort him with another slice of the pie. “Actually it was special in a way.”


“And after you cried I gave you a fancy watch so there’s nothing to nag about, Eunhyuk-a.” The culprit finished the story with a roll of eyes.


“It still hurts, Cho!”


“What happened in the past stays right there, oppa.” Shinkyung felt it important to speak up since time urged them. “Now let’s make it sure that Donghae oppa’s birthday will have only pleasant surprises in it.”

 

♪ Come together, everyone gather here
We gon’ party like lilililalala… ♪

 

“It’s me!” Seowon shrieked and grabbed her bag desperately to rummage in it. After another verse of the famous BIGBANG song (which was probably not-so-liked by Eunhyuk because he was glaring all the while) she finally found her phone and answered it before it could have been too late.


“Yeoboseyo? … Miyeonnie!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter