Comforting and Confronting

Little Do You Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It wasn’t even Friday but Sukjong High School was buzzing with excitement – most students left their classroom and strolled around the halls, girls and boys were whispering to each other and sometimes looked up, their heads turning curiously towards the gates. They were clearly waiting for something.

 

Shinkyung stepped into the main building with a tired yawn. Last night was too long for anybody to be able to sleep it out in six hours. Without Seowon coming to pick her up she would probably have overslept first time in history… It seemed and more dominantly felt like forever since she stayed out.


“It’s going to be a tough day.” Seowon commented by her side a bit grumpily. She wasn’t in her best condition as well, despite of her natural party girl state.


“Yes, I agree.”


“Why were we such cowards that we insisted to hold this party in the middle of week? I understand that it was the big day but there is still the weekend where we have- Oh jeez.”


Seowon wasn’t the only one who grew aware of the arriving of the new couple in school. Miyeon and Donghae entered with big smiles plastered on their faces, walking down the hall in the closeness of the other.


Shinkyung only watched them from the corner of her eye. It was still hard to believe that all she hoped for actually became true. Or not like hard to believe but hard to realize: Miyeon happily holding Donghae’s hand, Donghae returning her smile… It was written on their foreheads for a while but seeing it happen somehow felt surreal.


I’ll get used to it after a while, Shinkyung put an end to her thought while waving a hand at Miyeon who instantly greeted back the same way. No need to worry… The point is that now everybody got what they want. Everybody is happy. It’s how it should be.


During that minute while the couple went into Miyeon’s homeroom literally a drop of a pin could be heard as nobody moved or talked but as soon as it was in, whispers started over.


“Daebak.” Seowon concluded the scene with a grimace. “It hasn’t been a day but they’re already showing off.”


“Well, they made it quite obvious yesterday. Why would they hide anymore?”


Shinkyung just said what had been on her mind but the look she got from her friend made she rethink.


Did I say something wrong?


“You talk more and more like Kyuhyun. You shouldn’t let him get to your head more.” Seowon pointed out with narrowing eyes. “Anyway, do you not know what I know? Even if they’re together, they should respect other people’s feelings. Girl, you have no idea how many girls were crushing on oppa. And Miyeonnie has her own circle of fans, you know it well… In my opinion they should tone it down for a while.”


Shinkyung was still unsure about Seowon’s opinion (if she can get used to it, everybody can, can’t they?) but nodded at that nonetheless.


“They should tone it down for their sake also.” Seowon continued quieter. “Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for them but at the same time… It’s so sudden and I can’t it better but it also feels out of place somehow.”


Oh my, not again.


“Seowon-a, I can’t be in Miyeon’s place. We cleared that out, aren’t we?” Shinkyung reminded her friend in a whisper as they walked towards their homeroom as well since classes were about to start.


“Yes, we cleared that out. I’m not talking about that. You said you feel nothing so it’s nothing… Don’t get too worked up, girl.” Seowon denied with a bit of resentment. “I’m just worried that what if others think the same way, I mean, what if somebody does something against them? They’re both so precious. I don’t want them to get hurt because of this.”


Shinkyung listened to her words with uneasy feelings. I hate to admit it but it makes sense. Miyeon and Donghae are both loved on their own way but we don’t know what kind of response they’ll get as a couple. What if it’s going to be worse from now on? What if they’ll be sad instead of happy? I can’t let that happen I…


Okay, Shinkyung, chill. It doesn’t matter how worried we are, it could turn out well. After all, from outside and especially by inside they make the perfect couple. I’m sure they could handle whatever response they get at the end. Maybe they’re fragile apart but together… I think they could be stronger than I ever could with or without somebody.


“They’ll be fine.” She said at the end. “I know it.”


Seowon looked away with a less happy smile.


“I’m glad you know.”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Ya, Kyuhyun-a.”


The said boy looked up from the book he was reading with a glare. It hasn’t been minutes since he arrived to school but somebody already had to disturb him.


“What?” He barked.


“’Hae hasn’t come back from his love’s classroom.” Kangin continued. “Go and get him before Mr. Park does.”


“Excuse me?”


“Is it hard to do?” Ryeowook chirped in while casually sipping on his juice. “We assumed you could do it since you’re his friend and all.”


Kyuhyun closed his book with a loud thud and put his glasses to the table in front of him.


“Well, I am but you are just as much.”


Yesung - who only passed by but heard what he had said - sent him look.


Kyuhyun sighed.


“He’s just become nineteen. He’s not a kid anymore. He can take care of himself… Seriously what do you want from me?”


Ryeowook decided to help him by sitting beside him and saying:


“If I didn’t know it better I’d think you’re on bad terms with Donghae-a again.”


Here goes trouble. Kyuhyun put on his usual poker face to avoid any misunderstandings (or in this case any more suspicion).


“We’re not on bad terms.”


“Prove it, Kyu.” Kangin patted his shoulder with little fierce but a bigger grin.


“Why should I? You can also ask him, he’ll say the same.”


“But you have to bring him here first for us to get the chance to do it.” Yesung insisted. “Come on, Kyuhyun-a, don’t be a meanie.”


Realizing that they won’t stop until he actually does what they want, Kyuhyun stood up, showed his most killing look up and marched out of the classroom. There were only a few minutes before the ring of the first bell so he quickened his steps towards the other hall of the building.

 

There was something in all the boys had said to be true – whenever Kyuhyun tried to speak a bit with Donghae yesterday, the latter disappeared from his sight and went to talk to somebody else. Even when the party was over and Kyuhyun offered him a ride, Donghae declined… Okay, maybe for that he had his reason (Leeteuk also came by car and he lived near to Donghae’s house unlike Kyuhyun) but Kyuhyun isn’t easy to get deceived. Especially not by Lee Donghae who’s like an open book – Kyuhyun knew well that something’s in the air, that was exactly the reason why he thought it’s the best to wait for until Donghae confronts him instead of doing the opposite. It’s his deal, after all. Kyuhyun doesn’t have anything against him. (Well, he might have a few things but they aren’t important now… right?)


Kyuhyun almost reached the aimed classroom when Donghae came out of it and closed its door first. As the latter turned around to go, the eyes of the boys locked.


For a long moment none of them said anything. Kyuhyun hates to be the nice one but seeing that his classmate doesn’t intend to say anything, he took the initiative.


“Hyung –“


“What are you doing here?”


“The others kept bothering me to come and take you back.” Kyuhyun answered without a blink. The change of glint in Donghae’s eyes foreshadowed something bad but he decided not to be effected by it. “The first period starts like… now.”


Donghae stepped a few feet away from the door of the classroom.


“You shouldn’t have come. I was on my way back.”


“I guessed… I only came because I need my private space.”


“Your private space, huh? I guess it can’t be that private if you let anybody in.”


Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow at this reference-like sentence but before he could retort a loud voice beat him to it.


“Cho Kyuhyun, Lee Donghae, stop at where you’re standing!”


The boys looked up to see Mrs. Han, one of the Math teachers of Sukjong coming towards them with stern eyes.


“If I’m right, the first bell had already rung.” The teacher said.


“Yes, Mrs. Han, you’re right. We’ll hurry back.” Donghae replied politely.


“I hope it’s the last time I see you two linger around here. You’re graduate students, you should be more cautious.”


“We’ll be, Mrs. Han. Don’t worry.”


The Math teacher sent a warning look to Kyuhyun.


“The single reason why I don’t report you, young man, for talking down to a teacher is your fantastic grade at my glorious subject. Keep it fantastic if you want to survive.”


The boys bowed before the teacher had entered the classroom. As soon as she was inside, the two began to walk back to theirs.


“You love being impudent, aren’t you?” Donghae broke the silence in the middle of their walk.


“It’s the part of my nature… You were saying something about my private space before Mrs. Han interfered. What did you mean by that?”


Maybe it didn’t mean anything but just the possibility of it meaning anything worried Kyuhyun.


“It was just a warning.”


“Warning for what? Warnings don’t mean anything if there’s no danger around.”


Donghae abruptly stopped, his fists clenching by his sides.


“Don’t talk to me like you’ve done nothing wrong.”


“Are we at that again? I thought we talked that out. No grudges, remember?”


“I can’t help but held grudges if you keep interfering with my things.”


Kyuhyun cocked his head to the side with a strong look.


“Is it about her?”


But this time Donghae hasn’t answered anything just went back to their homeroom first.


Kyuhyun let out a long sigh.

It seems like the Flower Boys are right this time.
They are indeed on bad terms…again.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“I can’t believe I failed… again!”


Shinkyung felt the urge to break into the biggest scream she could ever produce but since she was standing in the middle of the cafeteria she decided to save it for later.


“Do you like it?” Seowon asked, her eyes scanning today’s menu.


Shinkyung gasped.


“What? No.”


“Then stop boasting about it.”


“The whole cafeteria is looking at you, Kyungie.” Miyeon informed her giggling.

 

Shinkyung let out an exasperated whine and took her tray to a free table.

Last time she got eighty percent on a Math test, she freaked out, yes, but handled saying she had a bad day, next time she does better. But seventy percent? How could her grade drop this drastically? Mrs. Han’s face was nowhere glad either.


“You’re not in your final year, Shinkyung-ssi but if you won’t stop getting worse there might be no stop from now on. Please, get yourself together. Midterms are coming.”


It was so embarrassing I could die… What if what Teacher Han said is true? What if I won’t stop being awful and ruin everything I had built up through the years? What if I –

 

“I can literally hear your panic mode is on.” Eunhyuk showed up with a grin and sat next to her. “Spill, what kind of catastrophe h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter