Scent

Who's Afraid of the BIG Bad Wolf?

 

Why is he looking at me like that? Did he see it? But why would he react like that? I'm having this battle inside my head as questions keep on invading my not so genius brain. That Kai is so...out of this world? I know it may not be the perfect word and I don't even know how to describe him except for his obvious cockiness. But, he might know something about this thing. I opened my hand and the pendant is shining as it reflects the light.

"Minhee."

I literally jumped when someone said my name. I looked up and I found Lily smiling at me. I took a deep breath and sighed exasperatedly. I held my chest, frowning at her.

"God you scared me!"

She only giggled and I rolled my eyes. I kept walking and we finally reached the cafeteria.We sat on an empty table, placing our things on it.

"What were you doing back there?"

"I'm walking."

A smile appeared on her lips. She skipped my shoulder and laughed softly.

"Silly. I'm talking about how your senses slips away."

I blinked. I don't want to talk about it for now. I just shrugged and took out my home-packed lunch that I made myself. We eat quickly and I saw her book that she usually brings.

"Do you always carry that everywhere?" 

I used my lips to point out the book that's placed on the table beside her elbow. She turned her head to the book then back to me. I couldn't help to ask. Lily sheepishly smiled at me.

"It's um...it gives knowledge about certain stuffs."

'Stuffs? What kind of stuffs?'

I wanted to ask her but I guess it's something that she really gives importance since she carries it all the time and might be a secret too. Maybe not for now. I didn't pry anymore and nod my head instead.

"Hey Minhee..."

"Hmm?"

"Did you see the incident yesterday? It was unbelievable!"

I had goose bumps after she reminded me about the bloody and horrifying scene of that student named Key who died yesterday. I want to tell her that I didn't simply see the incident. I was practically watching it the moment my feet froze on the ground! I swallowed my food and nod.

"I pity him."

"Yeah. Key isn't the the type of guy who'll commit a suicide. I know him."

'Cause probably he didn't really jump off that building in his own willingness'. I want to share what I thought but maybe it will be better and safer if I keep my own suspicions for myself for now.

"Say Lily," I placed my metal chopsticks down, turning my head to her. "Do you know Kai?"

"That tanned and good looking guy from the class next to ours?"

I rolled my eyes at how she gives her description about him. She doesn't really need to describe him, especially that way. She could've just keep that for herself. She smiled and by that confidence and simple gesture...I know she knows him well.

"You could just simply nod Lily."

"What?" She giggled.

I waved my hand, gesturing her  to continue and just answer my question. Lily rested her right cheek on her palm and started a story about Kai's background.

"Kai is this...rebel and tough guy in the campus. Well actually everyone in his family is rebellious but their attitudes are far different from each other."

"Family?"

"Well actually I'm indicating to his brothers. I haven't heard anything about their parents but his brothers yearly come here when it's time for the school's festival."

"Festival? Does the school celebrates it yearly?"

"Uh-huh. Actually it's getting near. The other students are preparing for it."

The excitement in her tone was obvious. A school festival, that might be fun. It is like the time to be stress free.

"A lot of visitors come too! And the ten brothers of Kai never let this opportunity to slip away!"

"Ten?!"

I mean, I shouldn't react like that but for the love of God, ten?! That's...a lot of work to do. Lily laughed. I might be having my priceless face again. I glared at her and she immediately stopped. She cleared and continue where she left off.

"Actually they're all twelve together with Kai already."

"Shouldn't it be eleven then?"

"Oh no. Here comes the mysterious and handsome brother. He's Sehun."

Lily smiled widely after she gave detail about this Sehun. Don't tell me she likes him too. I placed my elbow on the table, resting my chin on my palm.

"Why are you smiling like that?"

Lily turned to me and smiled even more. God I didn't tell her to do it once again. I rolled my eyes, annoyed at her sudden behavior.

"You'll know once you see him." She winked.

What the----there's no way I'll do the same as her! Not ever in my life. I made a face that gives the message of how much I am disgusted by now. Lily just laughed it out.

"Ok, all of them are handsome. But you shouldn't react like that. Who knows? You might regret it someday."

She sticks her tongue out and I rolled my eyes playfully. 

 

 

Days passed and here comes our boring History class again. I rested my right cheek on my palm and blow away some hair strands that covering my eyes as we waited for our teacher to arrive. I feel like my eyelids almost drop due to this sleepiness I occasionally get during class hours. Next thing I knew is that Lily's patting my back, giving me the look that our teacher has arrived. I sat up straight, fighting the sleepiness that's taking control over me. I couldn't help myself. I closed my eyes for a moment, hoping that when I open them I'll be awake enough to stay in this boring lecture but not until the voice of Mr. Kang called out my attention.

"Ms. Park we're not even starting yet and you're sleeping already?" 

I opened my eyes, revealing my classmates faces, facing towards me. Great. They're attention is on me again. Some giggled and some are just staring at me like I'm a freak. Gosh, they're making me look like a fool right now and all thanks to Mr. Kang. I didn't even sleep. I just...closed my eyes.

"Sorry."

"Alright!"

He called the attention of the class after he gave me a look. I rolled my eyes and played with my pencil on my desk. Throughout the lecture, I was practically hearing the words and how Mr. Kang explains something but I can't listen. My thoughts are somewhere, roaming around.

"Does anyone of you here knows anything about wolves?"

Now that caught my attention. I was practically back to my consciousness. I lifted my head up, looking at Mr. Kang as he speaks. For the first time he caught my attention. This certain topic brought chills to me and I don't even know why. Probably because of the howling that I kept hearing back in our hometown that brings back memories. Horrible ones.

"Yes Lily?" Mr. Kang pointed his hand towards my direction, where Lily is seated just behind my seat. I heard her chair moved, sliding backwards.

"Usually people are scared of wolves. Basing it how they attack humans and caused trouble to the livestock, sheep and other animals that is under the care of people who are raising them. Wolves are actually misunderstood." Lily paused.

"How can you say that? Do you understand each other?" One of us asked out loud and the class laughed in chorus.

"Quiet please! Lily, you may continue." Mr. Kang said. He crossed his arms over his chest, anticipating something worth it from his student.

"Yes sir." She stopped and tilted her head to the guy who just mocked her earlier. The way Lily mockingly smiled at him put a smirk on my face. I didn't know she can act like this too.

"And for your question, nope. I haven't encounter them yet but I'm studying their language for now. Maybe someday I'll meet them, I can ask them to visit you. Would that be nice?"

"Oooh~" Everyone cooed---well except for me. I remained quiet in my seat, biting my inner cheeks to stop myself from blurting a laugh. I turned my attention to the front when someone cleared his throat, purposely. It was Mr. Kang. 

"Continue please."

"Sorry. As I was saying, they are misunderstood by people. We fear them and hunt them down because of what we know about them attacking people without any doubt, but they are actually wrong."

"And can you please justify what's wrong in that point of view about wolves?" Mr. Kang asked.

He sat on his desk, tilting his head to the side getting interested in every explanation Lily gives off. Even I myself can't hide the fact of getting more curious about this certain living creature. I shifted on my seat and rested my arms, folding it on the back of my chair. 

"Wolves are the largest of the wild dogs but they do not harm people without any reasons. To make it easier, wolves only attack when someone or something threatens them to do so."

Everyone is on silence. I blinked my eyes, bringing my head to the side. I watched Mr. Kang who stared at Lily for a moment, while a smile curved into his lips. He hops off from the wooden texture of the table and gestured Lily to seat down.

"Thank you, for that information Lily and you are right." 

He turned to the class after he wrote something on the board. It says "Wolves" and an underline below it. He smiled, pushing his eyeglasses to the bridge of his nose.

"Their furs, or the color of their furs varies from pure white to jet black of the sub-arctic forest. They can live anywhere and can be in any climates."

He keeps on talking---blah blah blah. I didn't notice that he has been talking for 20 minutes already, leaving  5 minutes before the bell rings. He claps his hands to take back the attention of the other students around me, who are probably day dreaming earlier.

"Ok---maybe some of you guys have this questions about, why am I even talking about wolves out of the blue?! That sounds odd since this is not a biology class at all, right?"

I silently, giggled to myself. Finally! He realized that he should've told us in the first place the point of discussing about this creature. I felt a tap on my back and I turned to see Lily's face grinning at me.

"What?" I mouthed.

"Mr. Kang is buffering." She mouthed back.

I couldn't help myself from smiling and nodded before I turn back my attention to Mr. Kang who is about to explain his reason why we are lecturing about this topic. He cleared his throat and put the pen in the pocket of his polo.

"It's about---something that you should know tomorrow!" He grinned and everyone groaned. As soon as I heard what he just said, my lips curved...frowning down. I feel like the excitement in me washed away by the frustration of what Mr. Kang announced.

"Why can't you just tell it right now?" I blurted out.

He turned his attention to me, smiling. He said, "Too early to discover it Ms. Park. The surprise of the adventure will be unlock, when it's time."

My brows arced together. I nonchalantly placed my chin on the palm of my hand as my elbow hit the wooden surface of my school's desk.

"I'll give you an assignment, please take down notes." He said on the last minute we have before the bell completely rings.

 

 

 

A blonde haired man with the height of average for men entered a bookstore in a city. It was Lay. He has his jacket's zipper pulled up and he's wearing his reading glasses as he scan through books in every shelf. He stopped on a particular shelf when a certain title took his attention.

"Kiss of Death." He read.

Lay smirked and flipped the book. He read the teaser behind it and he seems to be interested as the words and descriptions took him in another world.

Cling    Cling

He abruptly raised his head from the book he's reading. Someone just went inside the silent bookstore that the bell rang. His eyes traveled back to his book not minding the new customer entered.

"Excuse me, do you have any books related to wolves or something?"

Lay's ear perked when someone mentioned the word "wolves". He lifted his head up from the book he's reading, tilting his head to the side. His eyes wandered, scanning for the owner's voice.

"I'm sorry but I believe we don't have what you're looking for."

The girl in the earlier said. Lay's eyes traveled to the person who's having her back faced towards his direction. He assumed it must be the one who asked for that certain book.

"Oh...is that so?"

Her facial features are still a mystery for him but he knows she's on dismay. He just knew it from the sound of her voice. He shrugged the thought and curiousness off of him and turned his attention back to the book. He closed it, returning it back to where he took it before. He grabbed another book in his hand, just 7 books distant away from the other one he read before.

"Hm..." He started reading the synopsis of the story. His thoughts are drifting through the chosen words of the book but half way of it, his attention was caught by the girl's voice again. It brought him back to curiosity.

"Do you know a place where I can find the book?"

"There's a lot of bookstore here in Seoul but if you want, you can comeback after 3 days. The truck will deliver the books on Saturday and I'll try to add your order so it can be sent here together with the new books." The staff in the counter explained.

"Really?! Thank you!" 

Lay is still facing the book on his hands but his eyes watched how the girl grabbed the staff's hands and shake it nonstop. He further narrowed his eyes, taking a good look when something hit his eyes. A bright ray of light, reflected from a certain thing as the girl continue moves. It didn't take him that long to recognize the familiar thing hanging on the girl's pinky.

'It can't be...'

The girl dropped her hands, releasing the staff's hands. She made her way to the door. She opened it and went out, letting the door slowly closed on its own. Lay walked through the corridor, passing by each shelf. His feet are dragging him out, unconsciously following the girl who's not that far from the bookstore. He went out, tailing her. His instincts probably told him to do so. He didn't even notice that's someone's calling him.

"Sir!" 

A hand laid on his left shoulder. Lay turned like nobody can say when. It was fast. His free hand abruptly shifted on his shoulder, gripping the foreign hand that touched him carelessly.

"S-sir..."

The man, one of the staffs working in the bookstore, stuttered. He was near in crying as the grip on his wrist was tightly enclosed by Lay's strong hand. Lay blinked for a moment, slowly and carefully he opened his palms after realizing what just happened. The poor man retreated his hand as his other hand caressed his reddening wrist.

"Sorry." Lay said.

"I-it's ok. I just want to inform you about the book." He gestured, pointing to the book Lay's still holding onto his left hand. Lay's eyes traveled down and almost cursed himself for being stupid. 

"Are you going to pay for that?" 

Lay nodded his head and walked back to the bookstore. For the last time, he glanced over his shoulder, watching the maiden's figure slowly disappearing from his sight. He turned back his head and went inside the bookstore, paying for the book on the counter. He closed his eyes, inhaling deeply.

'Her scent...I'm sure I'm going to find you again'

 

 

Why does it feels like someone's following me? I moved my eyes to the corners of it but I can't see anyone. I inhaled, finally turning my head to my back and found...nothing. No one was in there, who I expect to be tailing my back while keeping his eyes on me, except for people who walks and passes by.

"Hmm..."

Odd. I walked my way back to my house and while waiting for the book I asked, maybe I'll have some time researching about this assignment that our professor gave. It'll be a long one.

 

 

 

"I heard you have a conflict with Tao."

Sehun's forehead curved together when a voice appeared, invading his peaceful sleep under a big tree. He didn't opened his eyes though. He just shifted in his position and said nothing.

"What's the matter this time, huh?" 

Luhan walked closer, leaning his back to the trunk of the tree. Sehun didn't budge at all but the latter didn't mind. He knew the attitude of Sehun and how to deal with it.

"Are you bother?" He asked.

This time, the eyelids of the youngest of the pack opened with eyes showing...emotionless. He lowered down his head after a small nod he made. Luhan sighed and ruffled Sehun's hair.

"Don't be. I know you have reasons in everything you do."

The older one smiled and stood up straight, taking his back away from the wooden, crunchy surface. He walked, gently stepping on the dried leaves. He looked over his shoulder, taking a look at Sehun who stayed in silence.

"You'll be away from us for weeks again, right?"

"Yeah." Sehun shortly answered.

Luhan was satisfied with that. At least the younger one said something than nothing at all. He nodded his head, while stretching his body before he leave.

"I'll be leaving your privacy then."

Luhan disappeared and Sehun was left all alone. He glanced at his wounded hand, wrapped by torn clothes with some blood leaking out making its appearance brightly red on some part of it.

'Weeks with a lot of people around me, hmm...'

 

 


MIANHE.SORRY. I apologize for the long wait. School is pressuring me right now and I don't know when will I have my next update even though my fingers wanted to write something more of it =/

I hope you guys understand but I'll understand your tiredness in waiting too so...yeah. Hope you'll like the not so long update though, :)) Actually typed it before making my left projects. 

Thanks for all the supports! And for the other readers who reads my two on-goings too, thank you and I hope you can still wait for the other chaps. ^ ^

So Lay's short POV was included here and yeah...he's hot T ^ T

Saranghamnida ♥

Our hand sign E-X-O





credits: rightful owner