Rivals

Who's Afraid of the BIG Bad Wolf?

 

It’s been a week already and our class has already started the preparation for the upcoming school festival. My classmates are doing their own individual jobs; props men working on the props and stage while the actors and actresses are with their very own script…all the time. And yes, since I’m playing the lead role, I’ve been stuck with these papers since then. The story is quite interesting. Actually, I watched this movie already and it brought me to produce bucketful of tears. So it’s quite intimidating for me to act as the lead in this play, especially knowing how good the movie is.

Tap Tap Tap

One, two, three, four…the continuous taps made me blink back to my consciousness. I raised my head and Sehun’s bored face greets me. He’s staring at me with those soulless eyes of his.

What’s his problem?

I gave him a questioning look then that’s the moment he said something to me.

“The further you go, the more you’ll be out of the flow.” He lowly said.

Can’t he speak more naturally? I mean, he does speak like a human being but more like that of a lifeless one. I think he noticed the puzzled look on my face because he scooted his chair closer to mine.  We’re inside of our classroom and it’s just the both of us. The others were busy in the theater.

“Stop thinking too much or your thoughts will drive you insane.” Sehun explained, leaning closer and for the record, it was the first time he looked at me in the eyes without any sign of coldness.

Still, that doesn’t mean there’s life in there but—hopefully this is the first step to get to know him more. What? It’s not like I’m interested in him—well partly yes but that doesn’t mean I like him in that way, right?

“S-sorry.” Damn, I stuttered.

It’s not the first time I was left with Sehun but this is the very first he initiated a conversation with me. And for no reason, I am completely nervous right now.

“Calm down. I don’t bite.” He said and leaned back in his chair.

His hands find its way to his pockets and he just stayed still, not leaving his sight off of me. Okay, I never felt so nervous before. I think I’m hallucinating again. Is he really talking to me? Is the usually mute Sehun actually making a conversation with me, a simple jinxed girl?

“You’re doing it again.” His words made me realize that this is real.

“Sorry. It’s just new to me—you… talking.” I explained and he narrowed his eyes.

“You’re saying like this is the first time I said a word to you.” He coldly scoffed.

“It may not be the first but this is the first time you’ve said so many words that it overwhelms me.”

Okay, I think I made a wrong move. Oh God please let me take back what I said! He smirked after hearing the ‘overwhelm’ part that it made my heart skipped a beat. It’s the first expression I saw of him...I think.  He looks so bad. Not the bad bad. Just…bad. Like the bad guys in the movie who can be really charming. Come to think of it, in his mysterious side there is a part of him that can be really—intimidating and startling that can make you really uneasy.

“You’re lucky then.” Sehun said while flipping the pages of his script.

He’s right. I’m very lucky. I’m just a nobody yet he noticed me….even if I’m new here unlike the others who have been his classmates for years already. I didn’t dare to say something more. Maybe I’m afraid of he will say next that will probably leave me speechless. An awkward silence filled the room, until he finally spoke.

“Say, have you seen a triangle pendant?” Sehun asked. His question immediately captured my full attention. I whipped my head to where he is and saw that his attention was on the script in his hands.

“A triangle pendant with a swirling circle between it.” He explained without even sparing a glance in my direction.

It sounds familiar—it is familiar! The way I pictured it with the way he explains, it’s the same pendant that I found on the rooftop the day Key died. I can’t be wrong, can I? Don’t tell me…

“Is it yours?” I bravely asked him again.

Sehun blinked his eyes then shrugged. He tossed his script on his desk and crossed his arms.

“Have you seen it?” He asked again.

Wait a minute. Are we going to play this asking-back-game? Because this is not funny. That pendant is my only clue to solve the mystery of this killer in our school.

“Stop answering my questions with your questions.”

“To tell you honestly, you’re the first one to answer my question with a question.” He said.

Here comes his famous poker face again. Now I’m starting to think this guy is bipolar. Seems like he just can’t let go of his coldness. I stood up and was about to leave the room but his voice stopped me.

“It’s not mine. I’m just wondering.” Sehun said.

I looked over my shoulder and he’s staring at me without blinking.

“I answered your question already. It’s your turn to answer mine.”

He stood up and walked towards me. By instinct, I stepped back but stopped right away when a desk is blocking my way. The next thing I knew, I’m trap in between his arms with his hands on the desk at my sides. He locked his eyes on mine and the serious look on his face makes me nervous.

“Have you seen it?”

“I did.”

That’s the only answer I can give. I can’t be too careless about this. I want to believe it’s not his but the idea that he knows the pendant, it screams inside my head that it could be him. That he must have witnessed what happened before Key died. I never believed it was suicide anyway.

Sehun blinked and by the look on his face, he seems surprised of what I told him. He parted his lips but there were no words coming out. Then suddenly, I can feel my breathing become heavier. Everything feels like a flashback to me. From the first time I met him—his unusual body heat, eyes that looked beyond my soul, his cut lips…

“Minhee we have to----”

Lily’s voice saved me from getting lost in Sehun’s stare. He retrieve his hands, putting it inside his pockets and made a space between us. I turned to Lily, alarmed of what she might think after catching us in such a position. And to my dismay, Lily’s grinning face made me want to jump off a cliff. I can feel the heat engulfing my face.

“W-what is it?” I managed to ask.

“Oh! We have to prepare in the auditorium. We’ll start our first official rehearsal in any minute.” Lily said with a big smile on her face.

Yeah right. If I know, that smile only means ‘I-KNEW-IT!’

I took my script that I left on the desk when Sehun trapped me. I reluctantly glance at him and he’s just wearing that mask of his again. So hard to read. I walk towards the door without uttering a single word to him.

“Sehun just go to the auditorium when you’re ready.” Lily said.

She holds my arm and dragged me away. For sure she’ll start her never-ending questions. In three…two…one…

“What’s the meaning of that?”

Please don’t tell me she squealed at the end because I did hear something. And then her question was followed and who knows when she’ll stop. I just don’t want to entertain any of them right now. I’m still thinking about the pendant….Sehun. I’m trying so hard not to think he has something to do with the incident – I don’t want to judge…not him.

 

 

“Lay, where are you going?” Kyungsoo asked.

Lay was wearing his hood and stopped in front of the door when Kyungsoo called his attention. He didn’t move or even glance at the latter.

“I’ll be out in the city. I still can’t find the thing I’m looking for.”

“Is it a new book?”

Lay just nodded and made his way out. Kyungsoo, who oblivious to Lay’s trips to the city, just shrugged his shoulders and sat beside Baekhyun on the matted floor. The maroon-haired Baekhyun scoffed as he throws his arms and lay his head on it.

“Book, huh?”

“Is there something wrong?” Kyungsoo said, his eyebrows creasing.

“Watch out. You don’t know who can be the enemy and a brother.” Baekhyun said, closing his eyes.      

Kyungsoo still doesn’t understand what Baekhyun was trying to say. It alarmed him but he trusts his brothers than anybody else. And humans are out of the list of his friends. So Kyunsoo just nodded to whatever Baekhyun was saying.

 

Meanwhile, Tao was eavesdropping to the conversation of Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. He smirked-more of a mocking one. He knew what Baekhyun means, but does he really? All that matters to him is how he understands each word of Baekhyun’s statement.

‘Watch out. You don’t know who can be the enemy and a brother’

And after hearing those words, there is only one member of the pack that came inside his head.

“Sehun.” Tao said under his breath.

All that Tao could see in him is his rival. Sehun is pretty much he favorite of his brothers. They care for him and bond with him despite the cold attitude of Sehun. Just because he’s the youngest doesn’t mean everything will revolve around him. Tao clenched his first until it turns white.

“Tao.”

He turned his head abruptly when Suho’s voice rang in his ears. The older one had a serious look on his face. Suho eyed Tao’s hands then back to him.

“You’ve been occupied by your emotions that you completely didn’t notice me here.”

“Why do you care?” Tao harshly answered.

Suho’s brows met and he stepped closer, placing a hand on Tao’s shoulder.

“What’s happening to you? You’ve been so distant and you always curse Sehun. He’s your brother, Tao. You and I both know that we only have each other to depend on.”

“Oh yeah? Does a real brother think twice if his actions can lead to the harm of his family’s safety?!” Tao shoves Suho’s hand away and walk to the cabin’s door. He was about to leave but Suho was fast. He grabbed him by the shoulder then he turned to Tao to face him.

“What’s with this nonsense Tao?!”

Suho’s outburst alarmed Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. They were the only ones in there. Baekhyun sat up and looked at Kyungsoo with a questioning look, the same as what the latter has.

“You call this nonsense? Right, why do I have to question that? In the first place, everything I do is completely wrong in your eyes. It's always Sehun this and Sehun that. Stop acting like you care because I’m no Sehun. If you want to know what’s happening, you ask him not me.” Tao gave Suho a final glare before breaking free from his brother’s grip and slammed the door.

 

 

Tao runs a hand through his hair as he walks around Seoul. It was already night time and the busy streets didn’t tone down a bit since it was the weekend. All around, there were people wanting to have fun and Tao was getting a migraine from the noise but it was a better and tolerable option than going home.

Home.

Tao scoffs when he thought of the house he shares with his brothers. It wasn’t that comforting to be living with them anymore, not with them always questioning him about his arguments with Sehun. And it frustrates him that they care more about his petty quarrels with Sehun rather than his own welfare.

“Hey!” A middle-aged woman exclaims as Tao unconsciously bumps into her shoulder but Tao pays her no heed and continues walking, lost in his thoughts.

It was always, Sehun this and Sehun that. What am I, Sehun’s keeper? They should’ve visited him if they all missed him so damn much.’ Tao thought angrily in his head.

“Mic test.” A man says as he taps the microphone. The mic emits an intense frequency-like sound that Tao’s ears picked up. By instinct, he covers his ears and crouched down.  Because his ears are really sensitive than a normal human, he was the only one who responded to the sound like this.

However, the man didn’t stop there. He kept checking the mic and turned the volume higher. Each second, Tao’s frustration was being added. Without any warning, he stormed up to the man, his eyes transitioning into a dangerous shade of gold.

“Mic te- Hey!” The man was completely thrown aback when Tao grabs the microphone from him and throws it to the ground.

“What’s your problem?! That was for the Karaoke Machi-” He stops in mid-sentence when he sees Tao’s gold eyes looking at him murderously. And he steps back just as Tao jumps on the karaoke machine and begins ripping it to pieces. People were gathering at the commotion he was causing and among the crowd, Minhee was one of them.

 


     Hi guys, ChocolateDreamer here. I hope you like this update that me and Shikshin have made.
We we're supposed to update a bit earlier but because of school and it's never-ending works,
the both of us were forced to write and type this later than we expected. I
Hope you enjoy this update guys. 

Oh and one more thing,

Subscribe.Comment.Upvote.Love ♥