Into the woods

Who's Afraid of the BIG Bad Wolf?

 

                Squeak

“Ugh, this window is getting on my nerve!” Lily frustratingly put her notes down and walked her way to the noisy window of our room which keeps on moving, hitting the wall outside and so on.

“I can never write if you won’t quiet down.”

Lying here in the bed, I just watched her talk to that squeaking window and tried to lock it down. Our one hour of rest will come to an end soon and all I did is to let all my disturbing thoughts invade me. I couldn’t help thinking about it.

I’m back.

I’m back to the place that left scars in my memories—shattering every innocence and peace of my mind. I need to shake it off. I momentarily closed my eyes, taking in deep breaths…

“Minhee?”

Lily’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked at her and from her furrowed brows down to her unpleasant frown, I can tell she’s worried.

“I’m sorry, did you say something?” I tried my best to ask it in a nice way. Hoping that I didn’t hurt her feelings for not listening because I was busy listening to my head.

“Nevermind. You worry me. Aren’t you happy about this?” She sat on the bed beside me and obviously referring to this camp-drama training of a thing.

“No, no. D-don’t worry about me. I just feel ill.” This is the best lie I could think of.

Lily immediately ran her hand over my forehead then put it down with another frown appearing on her face.

“You’re not burning. Hmm…do you want me to ask Mr. Kang to excuse you for today?”

“No!” Damn it. Guess I was too late to stop that sudden blurt. “I mean, please don’t. I’m going to be fine. I will only feel even sicker if I stay here alone.”

Actually I don’t want to be alone. Not that I’m afraid—well maybe I am, a little bit. Why wouldn’t I be? The jinx keeps on following me and now I’m back to the place where it all started. I couldn’t take the chance of something bad might happen again. With all those fortune telling I remembered, I couldn’t feel more anxious about it.

Three sharp knocks came into the picture and it made us turned our heads.

Then there goes Taehyung popping his head after opening the door slightly.

He grinned at us and I smiled back. I took a glance at Lily and she has raised one brow that asks Taehyung what he came for.

“Sorry to disturbed you ladies but the resting time is over.” He said tapping on his wrist watch.

“Er—we know that. But you do know that you’re not allowed to be in any girls’ room, right?” Lily said, narrowing her eyes on him.

“Well yes, that’s pretty clear to me but,” He paused and looked at me. “I just really need to see someone.” Then he goes flashing that smile.

I turned to Lily, to see what her reaction will be but to only catch her staring at me with eyes popped out. My brows meet giving her the look that says ‘what?’ She then rolled her eyes and turned to Taehyung, glaring at him.

“Mission accomplished Mr. Now can you please leave us alone?”

“Tch. You’re so mean. No wonder no one likes you.” Taehyung laughed and ran off.

“What is that supposed to mean?!” Lily turned to face me and her words came out like whine. I just smirked at her, don’t really know what to say. “Ugh, what a jerk. Am I really mean?” Lily asked out of her frustration. 

“Nope. But to him? Yes.”

“That’s because he likes to pick on me!”

“Guess he really did come here to see you.” I softly chuckled.

“What? No way! He came here to see you! Isn’t it obvious? I think he likes you Minhee.” Lily whispered the last part of it.

“There you go again and your delusions. We’re just friends.”

“That’s why! We’re not. So it’s impossible what you think of us.” Lily said, linking her arm with mine as we got out of our room.

“Lily, opposite attracts you know.” I said having a good reason.

But we’re not magnets dear.” She gave me the look that screams I-make-sense-so-stop-protesting.

 

###

 

“Minhee, Sehun, you already know that we’re going to start with the second to the last scene so I don’t have to brief you in on that. Minhee, remember to act like you’re pushing Sehun away and Sehun…er… keep doing what you’re always good at and when you say your line make it sound heartbreaking, okay?” Mr. Kang instructs us as we positioned ourselves at some part of the woods. I admit I still feel kind of uncomfortable but I have to shrug it off right now.

“Ready! One, two, three, action!” At Mr. Kang’s signal, Sehun and I turn to face one another.

“Chul-soo,” I start to sound lost and urgent, stepping in to the character of Soon-Yi. “You need to hide. They’re coming this way.”

As I say my lines, Sehun started walking towards me but I continued on with my acting until we’re both really close to one another. Something in the back of my mind was telling me that I should do something in response to his action but I’m still standing there.

“Minhee!” Mr. Kang said from the sidelines, “You have to remember to take a step back once Sehun starts walking towards you!”

Oh, that’s why. I turned to him and apologized. I sighed before starting the scene from the top. 

“Stop for a bit!” Mr. Kang interrupts us. We both turn to him, wondering where we went wrong this time. Almost an hour has already passed since the both of us started practicing and I’m already getting tired. My throat’s kinda sore from all the lines I said.

“I know you guys are trying your best” Mr. Kang starts to say, “But I honestly don’t see your chemistry. Minhee, try to be a bit sincere when saying your lines and Sehun, try putting a little bit more emotion to your face.” He rubs his forehead in frustration and walked to where Lily was. They both talked in whispers then Mr. Kang went back to where we are.

“Since it’s the first day and we have like two more days for this workshop, I’m letting the both of you roam the woods together.” I looked at him in alarm. Is he serious? He must’ve seen the look of alarm on my face because he quickly added an explanation, “But not too far though. Just enough that you can be more comfortable with the place and you can feel the mood that could help you with your acting.”

That didn’t lessen my worry. I know what these woods are hiding and I know that the monster could be anywhere by now.

“You’re going to be fine, Minhee. Stop worrying.” Lily’s voice stopped my train of thought and I gave her a small smile.

“Now remember, the both of you should be back before sundown. Keep your cellphones close and stick together.” Mr. Kang said. Sehun stayed still while I reluctantly nodded.

I heard Sehun sighed then he started walking. I glanced once more to Mr. Kang but eyes only met Lily’s. She winked at me and mouthed ‘good-luck!’ but the way she looked at me was more than that. It screams YOU’LL-BE-ALONE-WITH-HIM-ENJOY. I frowned but she giggled it away. I pulled my sweater closer and looked back at Sehun who’s far from where I am right now.

Tch. He couldn’t even wait for me.

I started to walk, a bit faster than I used to. This guy, he didn’t even bother to look or take a glance over his shoulder if ever I’m following behind or not.

“Be careful. There are some holes covered by leaves. You might hurt yourself.”

I almost stumble when I heard him speak. So…he knew I’m following. I was too busy watching his back, how great the difference of his height from mine. And then suddenly something happened that I least expected.

“Ah!”

Then there goes to my dismay. My foot got into a whole and in for some reasons, I think something hard stuck my foot in it. Ugh, freaking hurt. Just what I needed, great.

“I told you to be careful.” Sehun said.

I can see that he’s worried but I admire how calm he can be. He squatted down, digging on the walls of the soil with his bare hands. I heard him groaning when the sharp stone came into view. Now I know why it’s hurting that much. He pulled the stone out and threw it aside.

“Thanks.” I softly muttered as I slowly retreated my foot.

“Stop being clumsy.” He nagged at me.

I was about to defend myself when he took me by surprise. He s his arm around my waist and held my arm to support me. I swallowed the imaginary lump inside my throat. He’s so close. He’s giving me collywobbles.

“Oh god, it can’t be…”

I was too late to realize that I have said it out loud. I looked at him and his face is too close. He has his eyes narrowed, brows arched. He was literally glaring at me and I can feel my face flaring with his rude stare. Minhee, don’t you dare…

“I-I said, I can walk you know.” I tried my best not to stutter but this guy smirked at me.

Don’t tell me he heard what I said before my excuse. Fantastic.

“We should go back. You can’t continue with one foot to walk on.” He said and I nodded.

I slowly took a few steps but the damn foot still hurts like hell. I softly purr again, taking a glance at my wounded foot. It’s bleeding.

“Aish, now what?” This Sehun is getting grumpy. He slowly pulled me to the side and let me sit on the ground, leaning my back on the tree.

“Stay foot.” He said and pulled my jean up.

That sharp stone even left me a long cut. Blood kept on getting out of my flesh. I have to look away. It only makes me sick. I have seen so much blood before. In this town, in school—I should have been used to it by now but no, I’m just a normal human being that anytime can feel my stomach turned upside down.

Sehun ripped the hem of his shirt and wrapped it tightly on my wound. I looked at him, surprised of what he just did.

“There. It will stop the blood for awhile.” He said and sighed as he sat beside me, resting his back.

He slowly closed his eyes and calm breathing came next. I’m lost just by staring at his peaceful face. And then, I remembered the first time I met him. The smile kept on tugging the corner of my lips and I couldn’t help it. It feels like déjà vu—us, beneath a tree, sharing warmth. If there are horrible memories that I got from this town…I’m pretty sure he’s one of the memories that I and will forever keep.

“Do you think you can move if we go now?” Sehun said, opening his eyes and looked at me.

Instead of giving him an answer, I rested my head on his shoulder. I don’t know what got into me…probably after this I’ll die screaming of shame. Ugh, what am I doing?

“Can we stay? Even just for a moment?” After 25 seconds that I’ve been pulling myself together, I was able to say it.

He didn’t give me an answer. Sehun remained still not until I felt his arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer.

 

###

 

Students flocked outside with scripts on their hands. On the other side, Taehyung was sitting on a rock; kicking pebbles as he kept himself busy whistling.

“What’s taking them so long?” He scratched his head, getting all impatient for not seeing his friend.

“Look what we have here Lily!”

Mr. Kang’s voice made him jumped. He immediately stood up after seeing the two. Taehyung was wearing his big smile but it didn’t last. His brows meet and he started to ask questions.

“Mr. Kang…where’s Minhee and Sehun?”

“Oh, Taehyung! I gave them a time together.” Mr. Kang answered while patting the latter’s shoulder.

When he walked pass by the puzzled Taehyung, Lily grinned at him.

“Yah! What’s with that face?” Lily laughed.

“What does he mean by that?”

“You’re talking like leaving the two is a bad idea.”

“It is!” Taehyung rolled his eyes and started to walk his way towards the woods.

“Where are you going?” Lily asked.

“I’m going to fetch them.”

Lily followed behind him, yelling and nagging at him for being so reckless. But of course, Taehyung would always have something to fire back.

“Yah! If you won’t stop I’ll definitely tell Mr. Kang.”

“Then go ahead. At least we could find them in no time.” Taehyung answered and there was no turning back. He entered the woods and it made Lily stopped on her tracks.

“It’s dangerous out there!” Lily warned but Taehyung shake it off.

“Don’t worry! I’m more dangerous than how I look like.” He laughed and that laugh started to sound like echoes.

Lily’s heart beats rapidly and her hand snake into her bag. She took a good grip of her book and watched as Taehyung’s back slowly disappear from her sight.

“Uncle needs to know about this.”

 

 

 

 

“Minhee! Sehun! Where the hell are you guys?!” Taehyung called out as he cupped his hands to his mouth.

It’s been his seventh call for the two but he never gets a response aside from his own echo. He took his phone out from the back of his pocket and attempted to make a call.

“Damn it! Aish…seriously?!” He was getting very frustrated. There was no signal even just a small bar.

He was all alone—at least that’s what he thinks.

                snap

A twig snapped loudly through the quiet woods. Taehyung turned his head so suddenly. He flinched when he heard continuous rustles around him. It was like someone’s surrounding him. Taehyung started to feel uneasy. His eyes wandered around, looking here and there. He felt that someone’s ready to jump over him and thinking that heart attack will be the cause of his death.

“H-hello? Anyb-body o-out there?” His loud voice was trembling.

His breathing became heavy…heavier until the rustles stopped. Now the deafening silence was eating him alive. One more stepped he took and turning his back, all he could remember is nothing but darkness as his unconscious took over him. Someone hit his head so hard.

“Sleep tight my friend…sleep when you still have time.”

 

###

 

The sun goes down, letting its flare eaten by the darkness as it rules the night. The town was quiet but not for the murmurs and worries of the class of Mr. Kang.

“Minhee! Sehun! Oh thank God you’re ok!” Lily ran to us and engulfed me with a hug.

“Lily, what’s happening here?” I asked as I looked at each and every one of my classmates who are busy with the phones.

“We’ve been trying to contact you but we can’t reach you guys. Same as for Taehyung.” Lily explained.

“Taehyung? What happened to him, where is he?” I asked, worried for that guy.

“He went to the woods and looked for you. I told him it’ll be dangerous but he didn’t listen. Maybe he lost his way. We couldn’t even contact him but Mr. Kang already sent some help from the town’s people here. Maybe they could help us find him.”

The familiar obnoxious feeling made me choke my breath. This can’t be happening—well I wish it won’t happen like it used to. I looked back at the woods we came out from and it’s so dark inside. I couldn’t see a thing. I glanced at Sehun who also have his eyes glued on the dark woods.

Now I’m getting all nervous.

‘Taehyung…please be safe.’
 

 

 

 

The wood is misty, everything is vague. Moist and freezing temperature screams for more. Taehyung was left alone unconscious, lying on his stomach, barely breathing with the blood on his forehead left, all dried up. He slowly opened his eyes, blinked them several times until his vision came back into sight. Someone’s watching him though.

                snap

A twig broke into two. Taehyung’s body flinched. He immediately closed his eyes shut, playing dead as if that’s the only best idea he could ever come up rather than be truly dead. A strange man walked closer and closer to the lying body in front of him. Impatient, he squatted in front of Taehyung and smirked.

“Open those eyes or I’ll open them for you.” His monotone voice gave Taehyung chills.

The latter popped his eyes open and pushed himself off from the ground. He stumbled, sitting on the dirty ground as he moved backwards—away from the man in front of him.

“W-who a-are you?! What d-do you need from m-me?!” Taehyung trembled, eyes widely opened to see the man in front of him hidden by the shadow of the woods. The face was all vague.

The man in front of him smirked that turned into an evil grin, showing his well-shaped teeth.

“I’ll be the one to cut your throat if you won’t stop talking.”


HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Have a blessed one and I am very thankful that you, dear readers, have been a
part of my 2014. ^ ^ Thank you for motivating us to write.

We love you all! Please do enjoy this chapter.
Hopefully, I can hear some of your comments now, right?
Happy new year one's again!

Subscribe.Comment.Upvote.Love ♥