020

Who's Afraid of the BIG Bad Wolf?

 


The chilly air crawls to Sehun’s skin, finding its way in but was then immediately embraced by his immense body heat. It didn’t bother him. He has been waiting by the river, drowned in the thought that Suho, his brother, was actually the one behind Minhee’s dangerous situation. He clenched his hands into fists still in disbelief on why his brother would do that.

“Shouldn’t you be back with Kai or do you want to stay here with us for now?”

The moment Suho spoke, it didn’t surprise Sehun. He knew that he was coming. Slowly, he turned his head from where Suho’s standing. Sehun’s brows meet, fists on a tight clench, annoyed at how shamefully Suho smiled like he did nothing terrible. It made him feel even more disgusted than he had a moment ago. He never thought that his brother would do such a dirty deed. He remained his composure though his eyes could never hide the contempt his feeling.

“What are you up to—hyung?”

Sehun almost forgot to say ‘hyung’—but it never meant he didn’t respect him anymore. At least that’s what he was thinking. He is still his brother. He can never turn his back on him, never thought about hating him to the point he’ll forget he is his own blood. Though, Sehun knew he has a legit reason for feeling that way, to get mad at least. The heck. An innocent girl, Minhee (in which he grew fond with), was put into danger without even a reasonable explanation. Was there? And for a moment, Sehun was back to his senses, able to not let himself get drifted away by his anger. That’s the reason he is right there, at the moment, because he needs answer. He knew there’s a reason.

The smile on Suho’s lips turned upside down. He knew Sehun would figure it out. The latter was the cleverest among their brothers. Breaking the gaze between him and Sehun, Suho jumped off the rock and took little steps towards his brother.

“I’m just protecting you, Sehun.”

Sehun’s eyebrows twitched. Protecting? The last thing he needs is his goddamn protection. He scoffed. There’s no way he’s going to buy that excuse.

“She is just another vulnerable human being out there. She’s no harm and even if she is, I can perfectly handle myself. And not even you can stop me from doing what I want.” His words came out as cold as how his personality usually is. He has no time to play around, especially not this time. Not where he’s at the point where he’s feeling anxious about the girl’s safety—Minhee’s well-being.

“You don’t understand. If this continues, that girl will know too much!” Suho stopped, four steps away from him, he sighed and looked at Sehun straight in the eye. “And I don’t want to risk my own brother for that.”

Sehun stayed still. He didn’t flinch nor widened his eyes even for a bit. The usual look on his face was still on though he softened inside. He knew Suho’s intention was for his own good but...
‘I don’t need protection’ was the only thought that lingered in his head. He’s not a kid or Tao—he knows how to handle things on his own way. He did not need any babysitting especially not from his brothers. And he still hasn’t forgotten that dirty play Suho did. Innocents shouldn’t be dragged into his madness. Sehun felt guilty. That because of him, Minhee’s suffering, especially the poor Taehyung who can die anytime soon because of guilt and fear eating his whole being. But never once Sehun thought of avoiding the girl, not this time when they’re starting—slowly finding a weird (in a good way) comfort in each other that can’t be found from others. Without any words wasted, Sehun walked passed Suho but then stopped, side by side.

“I know what I’m doing. So hyung,” He paused and glanced at his brother. “Stop interfering.”

 

* * *


The worry from last night made Sehun restless and beneath his cold and lifeless eyes, dark eye bags had formed. He’s walking by himself, as usual, with hands inside his pockets and gave out a long yawn. His hand reached out for his nape and scratched it. After some walking, Sehun abruptly stopped on his track, eyes starting to widen. He smells blood—dry blood and a dead body. At that moment, only one person came into his head and knowing what had happened, his heart skipped a beat until someone called his name.

"Sehun-ah!"

It was Kai, running his way towards Sehun. Kai was still catching his breath and Sehun was patiently waiting for him to say something. The moment Kai looked at Sehun in the eyes, the latter's suspicion sparked once again, especially after hearing what Kai said.

"You've got to see this."

Both brothers arrived in the gym's locker room and there, lying a lifeless body, blood all over the floor. The victim's eyes were still open, looking at them and it brought Sehun the feeling of guilt. Like the eyes were screaming for help but everything's too late for that.

"Sehun---"

"I know." Sehun said eyes still glued to the cold body on the floor. "I talked to him last night."

"But why would hyung do such thing?" Kai was surprised, confused and somehow mad after he recognized Suho's scent in the room.He was gritting his teeth and Sehun too, was clenching his fist, mad at himself because he wasn't able to do anything about it. He wished he had.

 

 

It was still too early.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I walked passed the school gate and looked at my wristwatch. It’s 6:30 am and I know for a fact that we still have a good 50 minutes to spare before the bell rings.

But why are all these students rushing to go inside?

“Minhee!” A voice called my name from behind me. I turn around and saw Lily running towards me.

“Lily! What’s happening?” I patted her back as she catches her breath. She then unexpectedly grabs my wrist and pulls me towards the school.

“You need to see this.” Was all she said before bursting into a sprint, making me sprint as well. I recognize that the route we were going was heading to the gym and when I looked around, it seems that we were not the only one. When we arrived, the gym was full of people.

“Why are all these people here?” I asked Lily, half-shouting because of all the noise surrounding us. She tried to tell me the reason but everyone was so noisy that I couldn’t hear her. Finally she took out her phone and typed her response.

It said: Someone was murdered in the locker room.

My blood ran cold when I read that.

I took the phone from her and asked a question.

Do you know who it is? Has anyone gotten inside the locker room?

She typed in her response and showed it to me a few seconds later.  

No and no. The teachers are currently waiting for the police and medical examiners to come.

Just then the said persons arrived and everyone made way for them to enter. Their arrival had caused the noise to lessen a bit, to the point where I could understand what Lily was saying.

“Ugh, I’m so short. Minhee, can you see what’s going on?” Lily asked me since I was a tad bit taller than her. I stood on my toes as I narrate to her what was happening.

I saw them setting up the barricade and stationed some policemen to help control the crowd while the teachers, I see Mr. Kang from where I am right now, prepare to go inside the room.

“Looks like the door wouldn’t budge.” I say to Lily as I saw the policemen turning the knob ruthlessly. After a few second, he finally managed to open it but when he did crows came out of the door.

The students, including us, all ducked when the crows passed by over our heads.

It felt like déjà vu; like a part of my memories coming back in just a sudden blink of an eye. I then realized what was happening...and it scares me. This was the last sign I’m missing from what the fortune teller told me. Crows. It then dawned on me that I saw everything that she said. Something bad happened! But the question is, who was killed?

 

 

“I know everything’s so sudden and it’s never easy...”

Mr. Kang’s voice faded as I focused on my thoughts—conclusions are forming in the back of my head. Nothing feels right anymore. Taehyung’s sudden death’s still fresh in every breath that I take. Nothing seems real. ‘This is real’ and these are the words I never want to admit to myself. For the ten minutes that I spent on overthinking and staring blankly at my desk, I finally raised my head when Mr. Kang mentioned Taehyung’s name again.

“He was not just a member of this class or the play but Taehyung was a family to all of us. I know it’s hard to accept the truth that he is no longer...here.”

‘The truth. I wonder what is the truth.’ 

“But we have to move along.” Mr. Kang said that part with a hint of reluctance. He looked at each and every one of us with firm encouragement but I know behind that look he was feeling sorry and despair.

In the corner of my eye, I saw that Sehun kept glancing at me. I swallowed hard not wanting to look at him—should not look at him and let confusion eat me no more. I never want to point my finger at him but all of these happenings right now keep on leading me back to the same conclusion that -

‘Sehun’s part of this’

That idea kept on repeating itself inside my mind. No matter how I want to put it away it just keeps on coming back.

“Jonghyun, you’ll replace Taehyung’s role.”

Mr. Kang continued before Jonghyun could even react about it. “It’s final.”

The latter cursed under his breath but what caught my attention is that our class president raised his hand.

“Mr. Kang, what did really happen to Taehyung? Haven’t the police solved the mystery of the bloody incidents here in school yet?”

The look in Mr. Kang’s eyes showed a hint of fear and somehow tells that there is something he knows that others don’t. He sat on the teacher’s desk, clasping his hands together and looked at us.

“I wish I can tell you that they already have but there’s nothing yet. The school is doing its best to save its reputation and securing the parents that there will be no such crime to occur anymore.”

The classroom is filled with murmurs, gossips and more nonsense talks but faded when Mr. Kang announced there will be no class for now because of the incident. It’s unusual but I guess it’s just right. There’s no legit reason to celebrate a ‘free-from-class-day’ because of a friend’s death.

 

* * *

 

“What are you doing?” Lily whispered beside me. The both of us were in the library doing our homework when Sehun suddenly came in through the double door. I had managed to avoid him for almost a week now and I am in no condition to break that streak. On instinct, I propped open the largest book I could find on the books we had gathered and hid my face,

“Nothing.” I replied to her, peaking from behind my book to see if he was still there. He is, standing in front of the counter and talking casually to the librarian. His back was to me so I was sure he wouldn’t see me.

From my peripheral view, I could see Lily following my line of vision. I heard her chuckle lightly and say, “You developed a liking to Sehun already?”

“When? No!” I exclaimed somewhat loudly, a couple of heads turned to look at us but thankfully, Sehun didn’t.

Feeling slightly embarrassed, I stood up. “I’m going to find another book.” I muttered to Lily who was looking at me worriedly.

Fortunately for me, the books we were using as reference were found on the second floor which thankfully put a lot of distance between me and Sehun.

I surveyed the shelves in search of a book and found one but it was located on the very top shelf. I stood on my toes and reached for the bookshelf but couldn’t seem to grab a hold of it. After numerous attempt, I gave up and was about to grab a chair from the ground floor when a hand reached up and grabbed it.

“Thank yo-“ My breathe got caught in my throat when I saw who helped me.

“You’re welcome.” Sehun said and handed me the book. I took it from him, gave him a tight-lipped smile and was about to go when his voice called out.

“So how long do you plan to keep it like this?”

I froze on my spot, deciding how to answer his question. All I could come up with was, “What? What are you talking about?”

I acted like I was clueless but of course, he wouldn’t believe me. Sehun slightly glares then crosses his arms. He leaned his shoulder to the shelf before talking.

“You’re too smart to play dumb Minhee. Why are you avoiding me?”

I knew I couldn’t make any more excuses so I just passed by him, releasing a heavy sigh. The sound of his footsteps was indicating that he’s following behind and from that moment, I knew he wouldn’t let me go that easily. So I made a turn and I went to the back shelf on the corner and made my stop.

“Sehun be honest with me,” I paused for a moment, holding my breath. I don’t know if I’m angry or scared. Maybe more of scared because I just realized I don’t really know Sehun and the fact that we started as strangers up until now...are we?

“Are you part of Taehyung’s death?”

The hint of disappointment was very visible when the question that I’ve been wanting to ask left my mouth. A part of me hoped that I’ve never asked but I also knew that I need to know the truth.

Sehun’s brows creased together and asked, “What?”

“Let’s not play games anymore and just be honest with me.” My voice trembles. I looked away, feeling guilty because I’m obviously pointing finger, like he’s to blame.

“You do realize that you’re accusing me, don’t you?” I could sense the disappointment in his voice.

“I never wanted to!” I paused and looked at him. “I never want to think about it but I am so bothered by the thought that you have something to do with this. Back in the camp you were acting rudely to Taehyung and even—“

“Look at me.” His voice—it felt like it was pulling me closer to him but it was actually him who took a step closer. He looked straight in my eyes, trapping me.

“I don’t need to explain myself but...” Trailing his words just made my heart skipped a beat...and another and another as the thrill building inside me starts to choke me in.

“I just want you to trust me.” He finally said taking my hand in his.

This new sensation is clouding my mind that I could not think of anything but to trust Sehun. Because I know to myself that I want to.

 

However the need to know and not be kept in the dark is so strong that Sehun telling me to trust him didn’t dampen the worries on my mind. Instead, it seemed to lit everything on fire and caused red alarms to sound in my head.

‘I needed air.’ I thought as I walked out of the library and straight to the exit. Once I reached outside, I sat on one of the many stone tables there and took a deep breath. Everything is so messed up now. I don’t know how to handle something so big.

“Minhee,” I heard Lily’s soft voice from behind me. Damn, I forgot that before my encounter with Sehun, I was with Lily. I placed my head in my palms and groaned.

She put both of our bags on the table before sitting down beside me. She placed her hand on my back and asked, “What’s wrong?”

I didn’t know if it was because I was fed up with all the mysteries surrounding me or because of my emotions going overboard but I told Lily everything that relates to the death of Taehyung and my suspicions of Sehun being the one responsible for it. Then I told her what happened at the library and apologized.

“It’s okay.” Lily said as she hugged me. “We’re going to get to the bottom of this. They’re going to pay.”

She broke away from the hug and smiled at me. I don’t know if it was just me but Lily’s statement feels like she knows more than what she let on. And the way she said her last line sent shiver to my nape. Something feels eerie.

All these mysteries will be the death of me, I swear. 

 


Mianhe
​Jinja Mianhe.
We're just really caught up with the College life (Freshmen dears)
and we did wrote this long before but we're just not able to finish
the whole chap. Sorry to keep you waiting. 
Comments actually helps though. It keeps the fire burning. ;)