Chapter 8: Escaping?

One Thing Leads To Another

 

 

Victoria entered the house, her keys clashed together as she hung them up on key holder next to the front door. Something felt bone chillingly empty but at the same time, something was following her. She looked around not noticing anything out of place; she closed the front door behind her.

 

 

“Oppa? Changmin Oppa? Are you home?” She called out but no voice was heard. Victoria had just finished her schooling and was excited to see Changmin after having to tutor a student during lunch that had been quite difficult. They were clearly not interested in being tutored for Mandarin (her best subject) and decided to cause a ruckus for not only her but everyone around them. She sighed, thinking back to that.

Exhausted and hungry, she made her way to the kitchen to make a quite snack. She wondered why Changmin wasn’t here as she knew there were no lectures today for the other. They would always make sure to write down their daily plans and schedules on the whiteboard in the kitchen so they knew where each other was and what time they would be home. Any changes throughout the day would be easily informed through the phone by a call or a text. Victoria looked at her phone but there was nothing, not a text or a miss call. She sighed, no longer feeling hungry before making her way to the couch and throwing herself on it. Other than her bed, it was the second most comforting place in the house. She always felt safe when she sat there. Her imagination would run wild, allowing herself to be in a makeshift world where she and her brother were still together with Changmin. Together, they would be a happy little family. If only.

 

 

Though she was alone, Victoria felt as though she was being watch. She looked around, turning her head as she stayed sitting on the sofa. There was no one in sight, nothing. Maybe the exhaustion was getting to her but she was sure someone was looking at her. Not in her home but somewhere further away. The feeling gave a shiver down her spine as she felt cold sweats slide down her slim neck. It’s fine Victoria, you’re just imagining things. She said to herself, hoping that those words were true.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

Changmin couldn’t believe it. Never in his life did he think he would ever witness an assassination. The thought of him being there as another person who was a complete stranger fall to the floor, lifeless through a series of planning that was meant to get him dead was shocking. He thought he would he fine with the other next to him but no, it was not fine. The fact that it was Kyuhyun doing the killing hurt him even more. No one should ever have to do that. No one should ever end another’s life through another’s command. Especially not Kyuhyun.

 

 

 

“Let’s go.” The younger said, quickly packing away his sniper back into the silver suit case it was in before. He reached out towards his black backpack, closing the zip shut. He was about to throw it over his shoulder when Changmin grabbed the bag and the suitcase out of his hands before he could do anything The latter was wearing all an all-black outfit but unlike Kyuhyun’s, his was made up a leather jacket, black T-shirt, black skinny jeans and black combat boots. Kyuhyun had nothing for the latter to wear. Luckily for them, they had some time to drop by the store and grab something before making their way to their mission.

 

 

 

“I’ll take it. You’re still in pain.” Kyuhyun didn’t understand what the other meant until a little later when Changmin was a few steps in front of him. A faint blush washed over his skin but was immediately shaken away. Changmin wondered how the younger could still move in his condition seeing how much pain he was in last night and this morning. He knew what happened to him. It was obvious from the kiss marks on Kyuhyun’s body. Kiss marks don’t last long, a few days at most. Seeing how the younger walked, what happened could be no more than 2 days ago. Changmin didn’t want to admit it but the thought of Kyuhyun being in other’s arms annoyed him.

 

 

 

“I can do-“

 

 

 

“No you can’t. Now come on, we have a mission to finish.” The younger was surprised to see how calm the university student was. Seeing as it was most likely the first time he’d witness something like that, Kyuhyun thought he would be more shaken up. What he didn’t know was that Changmin was already use to death. Though not this kind, he could try to get use to it.

 

 

Kyuhyun followed quietly until they reached the stair well. They could easily take the elevator again as they did coming up but that would risk being seen twice. They were short on time as the planned assassination was known by the opposing party and being in the building for too long would be suspicious. The stair well didn’t have any CCTV cameras which were perfect for the two seeing as they’ve just killed someone. If the police were to trace their footsteps, they would have only seen them come into the building but not having left. As they began to walk down the stairs, Kyuhyun moved up in front. Between the two of them, he was the only one who was armed at this very moment. A black leather jacket similar to Changmin’s shielded his handgun from the human eye whilst a small dagger was kept in his left boot. He took out his gun from under his jacket, not bothering to it or anything.

Getting in was easy, leaving on the other had was totally different story. It would take exactly 30 seconds for the whole building where the victim was to be alerted. 7 minutes for the police to arrive and another 4 minutes for the building to be fully surrounded. 11 and a half minutes were how long they had to run away. It took approximately 4 minutes to run down the stairs, 5 minutes if they had realised where the shot was taken. You never know, some people are quick to notice. 5 minutes to get to the car and the last minute and a half to drive far enough for the police to lose their tracks. Of course nothing can be certain with traffic lag and other possible distractions.

 

 

 

“You remember what I told you right?” Out of sight and out of mind. Changmin remembered those words carefully. Remembering them was easy but pulling them off was a lot harder than he expected. If he got everything right today, there might be a chance for Kyuhyun to let him go again in the future. Slim but still a chance. Having him with Kyuhyun was better than Kyuhyun being alone on these missions. At least if one were to die, god forbid, at least the other knew. Being alone meant dying without anyone realising, that thought scared Changmin. 

 

 

 

“Y-yes.” Kyuhyun let out a sigh. He didn’t want to do this but it was too dangerous for Changmin to wonder around without a weapon. He might as well be . The younger pointed at Changmin, twirling his finger as he spoke.

 

 

 

“Go into my bag, there’s a gun. Take it and use it.”

 

 

 

“Um, ok.” The raven was unsure he if he would be alright with handling a gun. Sure, it’s only for protection but if possible, he would like to not have to use it.

 

“Remember to take the safety off when you aim. Just push the trigger and done. That’s about it.” His tone was almost sarcastic.

 

 

 

“That’s about it?” Changmin repeated, not believing the other one bit. Kyuhyun made everything sound so easy. Changmin wanted to scoff but was afraid he would make the brunette angry. Their relationship wasn’t very good and Changmin might have stepped over the line with that kiss a few hours ago. Truth be told, he was lucky he wasn’t dead yet.

 

 

 

“Yeah. Just try not to hit me and always shoot straight. That ‘bout covers it.” Kyuhyun didn’t bother turning around. The look on Changmin face would definitely be a stupid one. He could hear Changmin fumbling about in his bag until he picked up the gun. They had already lost some time. The walls were thin and Kyuhyun could hear the panicked screams of others from within the building.

“Quickly, we need to get out of here before the police arrive.” Changmin could tell by Kyuhyun’s tone that they weren’t going accordingly to his perfect plan.

 

 

 

“Right.” The two sped up, running down the stairs at amazing speed. Two minutes had passed and they just barely scratched the surface.  The young assassin prayed that everything would roll smoothly, even if it was just for today.

 

 

 

4:25 minutes.

 

 

 

Time was ticking. They had just about managed to get to the ground floor with some time to spare. Kyuhyun opened the doors slightly, peering in to see if the coast was clear. Not a single soul was in sight.

 

 

 

“Hide!” Kyuhyun whispered, pushing Changmin back, quickly closing the doors to the stair well. He had heard footsteps from the other side coming closer. Pressing his ear against the door, he listened in to see how close they were to the person.

 

 

 

“Is everyone out?” Their voice was close, about a metre away from them.

 

 

 

“Yes! Not a single person left.”

 

 

 

“Good. Tell everyone to stay put. We’ve already alerted everyone around the radius. Get back and report to HQ.”

 

 

 

“Yes Sir.” From what Kyuhyun heard, it appears that the police was alerted and security had evacuated everyone from every building within a certain radius. Kyuhyun and Changmin were almost 2 miles away from the hotel, meaning the radius was over that. Kyuhyun had wanted to get further away but that would put them at a disadvantage. If he had missed the shot, it would be a pain to have to chase them around South Korea. Especially since the victim was escaping to North Korea today, it was important that Kyuhyun killed him before he made the move. Fortunately, Kyuhyun made the shot perfectly, unfortunately, they were too close and now there was a high chance of getting caught.

 

 

 

“Listen closely. There’s a chance we might not be able to leave with that being said, it doesn’t mean we have no chance at all. If you want to come out of this, I need you to do exactly as I say. Do you understand?” Changmin nodded at every word Kyuhyun said.

 

 

 

“Yes, I understand.”

 

 

 

“Alright. I need you to stay here-“ Kyuhyun was cut off before he finished speaking. He knew that was going to happen, hence he didn’t get as annoyed as he would done if someone had interrupted him mid was through speech.

 

 

 

“WHAT!? NO! I’M COMING WITH YOU!” Changmin shouted. Kyuhyun quickly put his hand over the other’s mouth, pushing his body against the wall behind. The raven’s eyes shot open feeling Kyuhyun’s killing aura.

 

 

 

“Be quite will you!  There’s a high chance there’s still security roaming around!”

 

 

 

“Mmm mmm!” He frantically nodded his head. Kyuhyun looked at the other again before removing his hand from Changmin’s lips. The elder could feel his heart beating at an abnormal pace.

 

 

 

“So, as I was saying. I need you to stay here. In exactly 16 minutes, you will leave and exit through the back entrance. Once you have safely left this place, go back to the car. The car has been moved for security purposes so it will no longer be where we parked it before. I’ve already linked your phone to the car’s GPS so just follow the map and you’ll find it within, ideally 15 minutes. I will be there after you but if I’m not there within 10 minutes of you being there, leave without me. Do you understand?”

 

 

 

“I’m not leav-“ Changmin continued to be stubborn but Kyuhyun wasn’t someone he could beat in that area.

 

 

 

“Do you understand?!” He was now getting angry.

 

 

 

“Yes.” That was all he could say before retreating back to his quiet self.

 

 

 

“Good. Right now is exactly 00:23am. I’ll leave in 1 minute. Come out at 00:40am on the dot. If anyone gets in your way, shoot them.”

 

 

 

“Ok.”

 

 

 

“I’ll see you soon.”

 

 

 

“Yeah.” Kyuhyun wanted to sigh again. He had hurt Changmin unintentionally and he was now left with one worded answers. The only thing he hated more than…more than him.

 

 

 

“If you do well, I’ll come to the party.”

 

 

 

“Ok. Wait, what?!” Changmin couldn’t believe his ears.

 

 

 

“That’s what you want right? That’s why you won’t let me go. Because you still need to ask me to go. “

 

 

 

“How?”

 

 

 

“I’m not an idiot like you. Besides, you’re too easy to read.” He had forgotten that Kyuhyun was an assassin and assassins are smart. If Kyuhyun was living a normal life, Changmin was sure he would easily ace all his major.

“10 seconds left.” The brunette announce, looking at his sliver watch on his wrist. He pulled his sleeve back to its original place to cover the watch.

 

 

 

“I’m ready.”

 

 

 

“ Remember what I said.” Changmin wondered how many times Kyuhyun has said that today. Too many times to remember.

 

 

 

“I will.” 3,2,1. Kyuhyun counted in his head. The second hand hit 12 exactly. 00:24am. All Changmin remembers was Kyuhyun’s back as he ran through the door. Little did his know, that was the last time he would see him like that.

 

 

 

 

If only I stopped him from leaving.