Chapter 14: The Start

One Thing Leads To Another

 

 

Sunggyu sat on the opposite side of L as they had their late dinner in their HQ cafeteria. It had been almost a week since Kyuhyun had been bought back and the two gunmen were assigned to the assassin. They ate in silence, watching their food as it slowly disappeared from their plates and into their stomach. L had been the first to break their silence which was unusual for the two.

 

 

 

“Hyung.” The cold city boy spoke first, keeping his eyes trained on his plate.

“How much longer do you think it will take?” He asked, digging his spoon in the rice and picking up some meat along with it before putting it in his mouth.

 

 

 

“Not long now.” The elder promised as he put down his spoon, too tired to carry on eating. Sunggyu’s words came out more like a promise which made L frown. He wasn’t sure if the promise would be kept and it wasn’t pleasant, being in the unknown.

 

 

 

“Sunbaenim…I’m afraid he might not last any longer.” L said with mono-toned voice to mask his sadness which was apparent to the other. It wasn’t that Sunggyu didn’t care about Kyuhyun’s well begin but he couldn’t do anything but wait for a sign to tell him it was alright to proceed. Doing anything that went against their master’s orders would not only risk himself but his whole team. Sunggyu and L could take any form of harsh punishment as they were used to pain but they were afraid the others would break under those conditions. He couldn’t risk it, not yet at least. The leader needed at least something to fall back on which could protect the rest if he were to fail in this mission. After all, this would be the last time he stepped into darkness after being in it for so long.

 

 

 

“I know.” The elder sighed, looking up to meet the younger’s eyes. L didn’t dare to look up, knowing that Sunggyu had his eyes trained on him. It was always like that when Sunggyu was in deep thought. He would look up at someone and stare at them until something bought him out of his trance like state. Not anything to fear but L felt uncomfortable under his leader’s stare. He was never too good at holding eye contact for too long.

Sunggyu’s gaze began focusing away from the boy and to the all that stood behind him. The faded out clock that sat on that wall near to the ceiling became clearer. It was already 9pm. He wondered if Kyuhyun had dinner.

 

“I’m going up to check on Kyuhyun-sunbaenim. Once you finish, come upstairs, alright?”

 

 

 

“Yes hyung. Call me if you need me there urgently.” Sunggyu nodded before picking his plate and phone, putting the dirty dish in the assigned buckets for cleaning later on in the day. He left the cafeteria and made his way to Kyuhyun’s apartment. Though it was meant to be the assassin’s new home, Sunggyu knew it was meant as a prison. With L and him guarding the floor, there was no way for Kyuhyun to escape. Cameras were placed on either side of the hallway, making their actions impossible to be hidden from other’s views. Another small sigh left his lips as he stepped inside the elevator, pressing the button to the 7th floor. As he stepped in, a small ring could be heard from his phone. He had received a message. At first, he had thought it was Sungjong or Hoya messaging him since they were sent on a mission earlier this morning and was informing the leader that they have arrived home safely. Upon opening it, his eyes widened for a spilt second before quickly turning back to a face of indifference. It was here. The sign he was waiting for was finally here.

 

 

 

‘Coming Wednesday, 16:00pm’

 

 

 

‘About time, Jaejoong hyung.’ The gunman thought to himself.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

 

The elevator door opened with a ding, telling the gunman that it was time to step out. Coolly, Sunggyu let the metal box and stepped forward to the only door on the entire floor. He knocked once, knocked twice but was met with no answer. Sunggyu waited a while before entering the apartment, unlocking it with the key he was given by their master.

He opened the door slowly, almost treating it like a fragile object in the brink of falling apart. The door made a slight creaking noise which echoed in the hollow hallway.

 

 

 

“Kyuhyun-ssi?” Sunggyu called out as though asking a question. Inwardly scolding himself in the process since there was no doubt the other would be inside the apartment, Sunggyu braved himself and entered. It was dark like the last time he was here and like before, nothing was in its rightful place. However, as he looked around, he saw there was one object which was left untouched. He walked closer to it, focusing his eyes to see what it was. As he got closer, the object became clearer. It was obvious to him that the object was a frame with a picture of a young female, approximately 16-17 years of age, holding a teddy bear while smiling to her fullest. Sunggyu hadn’t seen her face before but he could tell it was the one who was causing Kyuhyun all this pain. It was his little sister who went by the name of Victoria.

 

“So this is you?” He examined the image intensely, taking in every aspect of the girl in the picture to make sure that it was burned in his memory. After a good minute, Sunggyu decided it was best to go back to his previous mission of checking on the assassin to make sure he was alright. It was strange seeing as the assassin was not in the living room. Last time the gunman was here, the assassin was hauled up on the sofa, refusing to leave the comfort of the leather furniture. He could see that Kyuhyun had once again skipped out on dinner as the tray on food on the dining table remained untouched. Sunggyu signed again as he ran his hand through his hair.

 

 

 

Sunggyu knocked on bedroom door before entering after no answer was hear. Like before, he entered with caution. As he opened the door, a breeze met up face, bringing the coldness of the night to him. He shivered under it as the cold was something he wasn’t particularly fond of. Just as he was about to call for the assassin again, his eyes immediately moved over to the figure on the bed which was sound asleep. Deciding it was best not to wake the other up; he walked over before sitting himself down right next to Kyuhyun. He could see the man’s tear filled face, his once porcelain skin now covered with dark circles under his eyes and tiredness across his face. Sunggyu reach over and brushed Kyuhyun’s fringe aside to get a better look at the assassin’s condition but was met with shame as the other had definitely gotten worse over the days. Just as he was thinking, Kyuhyun stirred in his sleep.

 

 

 

“Vic…toria…please…forgive me…” The assassin croaked. Suddenly, as if waking from a bad dream, Kyuhyun’s eyes shot open. Sunggyu froze from the suddenness and was unable to react until Kyuhyun, at lightning speed, sat up from his previous position and grabbed Sunggyu by the collar. With Kyuhyun’s weight pressed onto him, Sunggyu fell back, sending the both of them onto the hard floor.

 

 

 

“Arg!” He called out in pain as his back met the cold floor with a loud thump. Sunggyu reached out and grabbed Kyuhyun’s hands, trying to get rid of the cobra like grip the other had on him.

“Kyuhyun-ssi…Stop!” Sunggyu thrashed, trying to get out of the mess he was in.

 

 

 

“Victoria…VICTORIA! LET ME GO! SHE’S IN DANGER. I NEED TO GO… I NEED TO SEE HER.” He repeated over and over again, pulling Sunggyu close to him. He began choking, feeling the oxygen get cut off from the pressure that Kyuhyun was creating around his next. It was, the door flung open with a scared Sungjong who was trapped behind Hoya and L.

 

 

 

“SUNGGYU HYUNG!” Sungjong shouted. L took out his gun and pointed it at Kyuhyun who paid no attention to the three who were standing by the door frame. Hoya ran in and threw himself at Kyuhyun, grabbing him by the waist to try and pull him off Sunggyu. Sensing the new intruder, Kyuhyun changed his target to the muscular man, attacking him in an array of unknown movements. Hoya dodged them with ease as Kyuhyun’s attacks were badly executed and random. Once Sunggyu had been freed, Sungjong ran over to help the elder up. Coughing and wheezing as the oxygen began pouring back into his lungs, he stepped up from the floor which Sungjong’s help. Without a second thought, he send a look to L who nodded in return before grabbing their maknae by the arm and pulling him away back to his previous position behind the younger gunman. Once they knew Sungjong was in a safe position, Sunggyu ran over and grabbed a hold of Kyuhyun by his wrist, twisting it upwards. Kyuhyun cried out in pain for a second before trying to pull himself free. Hoya took this to his advantage and moved in to pull the assassin down. Sunggyu noticed this and quickly let go as Hoya told his space and pushed Kyuhyun down onto the floor. He had Kyuhyun pinned beneath him in a tight lock as Sunggyu stood next to them. It was then that he took out his gun and pointed it at Kyuhyun. The scenario mimicked that of a few days ago and Sunggyu wanted to sigh at how tiring it was each time Kyuhyun went berserk. However, he kept it in as he looked down on the assassin with hardened eyes once more.

 

 

 

“LET ME GO! SH’E IN DANGER! VICTORIA! VICTORIA!” In normal circumstances, Hoya was sure with the way Kyuhyun was thrashing; he would have a hard time pinning the assassin down. However, days without proper sleep and food had down some damage on the other and Hoya could feel the weakened pressure under him. Sunggyu waited, seeing the insanity slowly leaving Kyuhyun’s eyes. Once he was ready, the gunman opened his mouth to speak. It wasn’t time yet but with Kyuhyun the way he was, it would cause harm once their plan was in action. Sunggyu needed Kyuhyun to be strong enough for the fight when the time came but knowing Kyuhyun, he wasn’t in the right state of mind to talk sense into him. He needed to see Victoria, just once at least.

 

 

 

“We will bring you to her but on the condition that you must listen to us. You cannot act on your own accord and one your meeting with her is over, you will continue to be obedient. Do you understand, Kyuhyun-ssi?” It took a while for the words to register in Kyuhyun’s mind. Once it did, the raven looked up to Sunggyu, their eyes locked to each other. Sunggyu saw the change in the assassin’s eyes. He was back to normal and determined to do well. Hoya could feel Kyuhyun’s body loosen under his grip which made him do the same.

 

 

 

“I understand.” In almost a begging tone, Kyuhyun spoke out.

“Now please, let me see her.” The gunman nodded while pointing his gun down. Hoya broke his told and stood up to his feet, ready to bring the captured assassin to his beloved sister.

 

 

 

“Let’s go.” It was a risk. Many thoughts plagued his mind. The thought of Kyuhyun going berserk again, running off or simply go insane came rushing in. Sunggyu knew it was a stupid idea but he trusted Kyuhyun's words.

Being a senior assassin to him, Sunggyu knew just how heavily Kyuhyun's words laid. The boy was fierce yet fragile and through his constant watch of the other, Sunggyu gathered many more traits. He knew he might have acted cold towards the other but Sunggyu said feels towards the assassin was the complete opposite. He admired the other for coming so far and was able to hold his ground against the master they all feared. But most of all, he admired Kyuhyun's love for his sister and the need to protect her. It was something Sunggyu had lost long ago. With the help of his teammates, he managed to find it back again but it was Kyuhyun who realised that being an assassin doesn't stop him from protecting the people he loved. In a way, he owed it to Kyuhyun.

 

 

 

Sunggyu lifted Kyuhyun up after noticing the other’s hesitation in standing up. Kyuhyun let out a weak smile. Sunggyu could see the other was unable to stand on his own two feet as his body was on the stage of falling over.

The gunman inserted his gun back to its holder and grabbed Kyuhyun by the waist while draping the other’s around his shoulder. Kyuhyun flinched at the sudden action but quickly softened in hope that his reaction wouldn't offend the other. With Sunggyu on Kyuhyun's left, Hoya in the front and the two maknaes in the back, they made their way into the elevator. It was quiet for a while before Kyuhyun decided to speak up.

 

 

 

“I'm so-“

 

 

 

“Save your apologises for another time. We aren't so weak that you could break us with one hit.” Hoya spoke for a first. His words were harsh but Kyuhyun knew they were words of encouragement. He didn't apologise but rather let out a full smile to show how much he appreciated them. Thanks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

 

 

 

The five of them waited as the elevator bought them to the 13th floor.  The elevator doors opened to darkness. First to escape the comfort of the elevator was L who inspected the floor to make sure there was no one there. It was strangely quiet but at the same time, it was understandable. The 13th floor was forbidden to those who were not part of the top ten or otherwise assigned to the floor. Even Kyuhyun was forbidden from entering. Yet here they were, on the 13th floor with nothing stopping them from going further.

 

 

 

 

“It's clear.” L informed the others as he made his way back to the elevator. It was Sunggyu who took the next step when he realised Kyuhyun's frozen feet. The assassin could hear his heart beating uncontrollably. It was true, Victoria was here. But something was stopping him from moving. Without realising, his legs dragged its way to his sister with Sunggyu’s help.

They walked down the dark hallway with only their eyes to guide them. By now, Hoya retreated to Kyuhyun’s other side as he helps him continue his journey down. Sungjong moved up front with L who guided them in the dark with their senses. They stopped at the end on the hallway, presenting them with a black wooden door. Sungjong bought his hand up to the handle but was stopped by Sunggyu who rested his hand on the younger’s shoulder.

 

 

 

 

“Don't.” He said, letting Hoya take over in holding onto Kyuhyun as he stepped forward. Sungjong nodded and shuffled behind his leader, holding onto the caramel blonde’s jacket for reassurance. After making sure the four was safe behind him, he reached down to grab his gun while bringing his other hand to the door’s handle. He breathed in and out slowly, preparing himself for whatever came his way. With one swift movement, Sunggyu pushed the handle down and kicked the door open. At the same time, he swung his gun forward, pointing it straight ahead.

A gun met his eyes at the same time Sunggyu aimed his. The very second, his eyes widened to the person in front of him. No…you should be dead.

 

 

 

 

“Sunggyu?” The voice was most familiar to his ears. Everyone went silent, realising the supposedly dead man, walking. A choke closed the gunman’s throat and for the first time in his life, he was lost for words. I killed you.

 

 

 

 

“Woohyun.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

The quickest iupdated yet! Indeed, I am on a bit of a roll if I have to say so myself! I hope you enjoyed it! Leave me a comment! :D

Thank you~~~

I will do my best with the next chapter :D