Chapter 21: Park Yoochun & Kim Jaejoong

One Thing Leads To Another

 

 

“Sunggyu ssi!” Yoochun called as the ringing continued to blast through the HQ. There was a ruffle followed by a fuzz before his ear piece was completely intercepted. He hadn’t managed to hear the orders or conversations after that but he more or less knew the lines of what they were. Run to safety, he guessed.

 

 

 

“Hyung, what do we do?” Changmin asked looking around to see what was happening. Footsteps began making their way towards the two assassins who stayed barricade by the people they once called their companions. Neither Changmin nor Yoochun were noticed as they were too preoccupied. Of course they would be. It’s the HQ’s number 1 assassin and well known Leader of the Infinite group in there.

 

Yoochun turned around from the chaos when he felt the small rumbles of the ground from beneath his feet. His gaze fell on the elevator whose numbers had lit up, telling him that more enemies were to come soon.

 

 

 

“We need to go.” He said almost monotone. Changmin shook his head at the words, not wanting to leave without the others, especially Kyuhyun. A sigh left the elder’s lips before he bought his hand to his trouser pocket, fishing something from it. Taking his hand out, a black face mask came to hand. Changmin was about to question the item when Yoochun put the black mask on, covering the bottom half of his face. A ding was all it took before Changmin was pushed behind Yoochun. The said man took out his gun from his hoister that sat on his hips and shoved it to the younger who fumbled with it nervously. Taking out a pair of black fingerless padded gloves, Yoochun wore it on both hands.

 

 

 

“What about Sunggyu ssi and Kyu-“

 

 

 

“They’ll be fine. Now, do as I say and don’t get yourself in trouble ok? Junsu will kill me if anything were to happen to you.” His eyes registered everything in slow motion. The way the elevator doors opened, the way a dozen assassins came pouring out like spilled milk was almost impressive as the elevator itself was never a big one. It was smaller before, Yoochun tried to reason.  Guns pointed right at the two as the unknown assassins surrounded the elevator like a wall.

 

 

 

“State your name and leader.” One person ordered. Yoochun raised a brow in an almost mocking way, almost. It seemed to irk the order, causing him to repeat his sentence.

 

“State your name and leader!” This time it was louder, more intimidating to try and assert his importance. The mocking expression didn’t leave Yoochun’s face and the repeat of the order by the man made his eyes shine in a ore teasing way. However, it seemed the man (more like boy to Yoochun) was starting to get annoyed. He raised his gun, aiming it perfectly between Yoochun’s eyes. Just as he was about to shoot, Yoochun leaned forward with a harsh lunge, ducking from his place before he punched in an upwards manner, knocking the gun out of the way. In shock, the man didn’t realise Yoochun spinning on his heel and landing a kick right on his side until he fell onto the floor with the pain coming a second later.

 

 

 

“ARGGGGG!” The man shouted, clutching at his side as he knelt in pain.

 

 

 

“!” Someone swore loudly. Others began crowding around Yoochun while others fell back and aimed with their guns. Bullets were shot from all angles, passing their colleagues and making their way to Yoochun. With each shot, Yoochun dodged them expertly.

 

 

 

“1 down, 2 down, 4 down.” He counted in his head, feeling his body get use to the movements again. As a result of staying on the low for some many years, his body didn’t act as fast as his mind did. Blows made by the multiple enemies landed on him from time to time but nothing that actually did damage. While his eyes were concentrated on the enemies in front of him, his mind kept going back to Changmin. The boy had managed to doge whatever threat that came to his way but it was only a matter of time before his body became exhausted. By the light shine on his forehead, Changmin was already feeling it.

 

 

 

“MIN!” Yoochun shouted, catching the attention of the younger. The elder jumped back, landing right in front of the student.

 

“Do as I say.  On the wall behind you, there is a hidden button. Keep pressing until you find it. Once you find it, it will open up a secret door which will lead to a stairwell.  I need to you go and find the others waiting at the car park, ok? No matter what happens, stay low and don’t get caught. “

 

 

 

“But, what about you hyung?”

 

 

 

“I’ll come find you as soon as I’m done.” A silence came between them as someone came forward. Yoochun punched straight and sent the man back. Biting his lip, Changmin knew he had no choice but to follow. He had no experience and all he was going to do was stand in their way.

 

Changmin put the gun in an empty holder he had on his waist. He turned around, back pressing against Yoochun’s before he began to feel around the white wall that stood in front of him. Everything was smooth, no dent, and no uneven surface that hinted any sort of button.  How am I supposed to find it? He thought but quickly put the negative thoughts aside. Yoochun felt a bead of sweat fall from his forehead.

 

 

 

‘Damn, the missed years really takes a toll doesn’t it?’ He thought as he grabbed Changmin’s shirt, pulling the younger away from an enemy’s punch. Changmin followed well, following every tug and pull with ease as he felt around the white wall.  Things were going well for the duo as Changmin began to cover more ground with Yoochun blocking every attack made by the others. However, all good things came to an end when on young assassin attacked Yoochun’s face, causing him to dodge to the side. Another had been waiting for him when he jumped to the corner. In a swift movement, the second reached over and ripped the mask from Yoochun’s face. In that moment, everyone froze as they studied the face of the man who could keep up with them.

 

 

 

“Micky Yoochun sunbaenim?” Someone had called out to Yoochun’s dread. He tried to not show his dissatisfaction by bring a smirk to his lips instead. They watched the man they once idolised in front of them with frightened eyes. His records were one only legends had and the kills to his name was insane.  After all, he was the former number 1.

 

 

 

“!” Another swore. It was then the group backed up to regroup.

 

 

 

“Hyung?” Yoochun had almost forgotten about Changmin until the student called him out. He knew he would have some explaining to do after this. Now that the assassins knew of his identity, there was no need to hold back with weak punches.

 

 

The elder grabbed onto Changmin’s wrist, eyes on his enemies as he used his free hand to reach at the back where the wall stood. He began feeling around expertly, skipping over the parts he knew would not possess the button they were looking for. 30 seconds into searching, Yoochun heard a small click. Quickly, he punched the place where the sound came from with force. First came the sound of rumbling and then half of the wall slid upwards, revealing an entrance.

 

 

 

“Move!” Yoochun shouted, pushing Changmin into the wall. Before Changmin could say anything, the wall began sliding back down. Yoochun retracted his arm from the younger; not before taking the gun he had given to the younger just moments ago from Changmin’s holster (as the younger already had his own).

 

 

 

“HYUNG!” Changmin called out but it was already too late. The wall had closed, leaving him alone in the darkness. A small thud told Yoochun that the door had closed successfully behind him. According to his previous time being here, the button would not be able to activate for another 5 minutes as relocates. It was more than enough time for Changmin to get to the parking lot without having anyone closing in behind him as they were only on the 4th floor and Changmin was always quite fit.

 

 

The former number 1’s eyes never left the group in front of him. While they were battered and bruised from Yoochun’s measly punches, Yoochun was still in tiptop condition. If not, he felt more alive. His body was aching but it felt good. He was coming alive. Yoochun slid his glove down his hand, discarding it on the floor somewhere while switching between hands with the gun.

 

 

 

“You ready?” Sending a shiver down the spines of all those before him, Yoochun raised a brow. The last thing he remembers if him raising his gun, aiming it between the eyes of another before pulling the trigger. The sound of the bang, the recoil against his hand, Yoochun remembered all of it. His iris enlarged with the rise of adrenalin in his veins, his mind blank to the point he didn’t realise the continuous pushing of the trigger and the falling bodies of his enemies in front of him. Somehow, he had managed to reload his gun every now and again without knowing. Even the cuts on his body made by the assassins who managed to land a small blow on him didn’t affect his winning streak. The smile grew on his face and it was then, everyone knew the man in front of him was no longer human but a monster.

 

 

The red pool grew in a matter of seconds and the shouting of the once larger group was now panic and fearful as they could only press forward, hoping that one could annihilate the madman in front of them. Their hope proved useless as their friends continued to fall in the hands of one person.

 

 

 

“This is the Micky Yoochun everyone feared.” One managed to strain out from his dying body that lay on the cold floor.

 

3 minutes was all it took for Yoochun to wipe out a group of trained assassins. It took another 30 seconds for the smile to leave his lips and it took another 3 seconds for him to realise what had happened.

 

 

 

“.” He whispered, dropping his gun to the floor as he looked over each and every body that lay lifelessly on the floor. Yoochun’s heartrate calmed as he tried to bring himself back to reality. The last time, he promised to himself, wiping a splatter of blood on his left cheek. A small groan came to his lips as he felt the stinging of the cuts, the aching of his body as everything came to him in one swift blow. It hurt; a lot but Yoochun reminded himself that he had experienced worse.

With one minute to spare, Yoochun ran into the intelligence office with the intention of helping the other two assassins (since Changmin wouldn’t be happy if he had just left them there.)

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

 

Jaejoong listens to all their conversations while waiting patiently in the van for the groups of arrive. Sungyeol is parked next to him with their side window open for easy communication. Sungyeol is parked closest to the entrance for a quicker get away with Victoria while Jaejoong is on the other side, against Sungyeol and another unknown vehicle. He’s remains expressionless but Sungyeol can tell he’s on edge (as he had always been very good at reading people). They had never really met but the younger had heard things about the man from Sunggyu after he decided to join in on the mission.

 

 

 

“Jaejoong hyung, are you ok?” He asks hesitantly, bringing Jaejoong back from his daze.

 

 

 

“I-I’m fine.” He smiles but it quietly falters with only a sigh left on his lips.

 

“I’m just a little worried. I feel like I should have gone with them to help or do something.” Sungyeol nods but doesn’t say anything to Jaejoong’s worries and the elder appreciates that. The silence washes over them again but this time it’s not as awkward. 10 minutes had passed and all Jaejoong finds himself doing it staring at the built-in radio’s clock, watching the time go by. What happened next was not to be expected, especially not by the raven as Sungyeol opened his mouth to speak.

 

 

 

“You can’t always be their Hero.” The raven turns his head incredibly quickly and Sungyeol swears that the elder could have easily snapped his neck.

 

 

 

“How did you know?” He asked almost accusingly.

 

“There’s no way you should know. My face was hidden from the public and I destroyed all of my files when I left.” Sungyeol kept looking up from the driver’s seat, trying to figure out what his next words were going to be as Jaejoong’s eyes were fixated on the younger. Sungyeol sighed, turning only his head while putting his hands in his pocket.

 

 

 

“Intuition.” He answered. Jaejoong looked into Sungyeol’s eyes, reading every little bit of information he could gather from the young assassin. There was truth but there was more to just ‘intuition’.

 

 

 

“What are you been hiding? You better tell me or you’ll be sorry. Now that you know who I am, or was, you know what I’m capable of.” He threatened, lower his voice in a way that no one had ever thought Jaejoong could. The detective took his gun from the side passenger seat, aiming it at the other.

 

“I was suspicious of you when your name was suddenly added into the list of allies. What do you wish to gain from this, Lee Sungyeol ssi? Depending on your answer, I’ll either consider you a threat or not.” Sungyeol remained calm, not breaking a sweat as he watched the change in Jaejoong’s eyes which remained soft until a moment ago.

 

 

 

“Freedom. All I want is freedom.” His every word was honest and for a second Jaejoong found him breaking under the truthful answer. Freedom, something every assassin wanted and only a few got. He was lucky to have been one of them to escape from the underworld but many are forced to stay there.

 

 

 

“Then why did you reveal my past? You could have just kept your mouth shut and I would have never known.” Jaejoong asked, curiously.

 

 

 

“Because I need to know, if hits the fan which one of us will be running up to save them. Now that you’re really who I thought you was I can safely say you’ll be capable of helping them more than me.” Putting his gun down, Jaejoong no longer felt threatened by Sungyeol. Relieved was an understatement for both former and current assassins as the last thing they wanted to do was to engage in an unexpected fight. Sungyeol thought about keeping the silence after going back to it for the last 30 minutes but he thought he needed to say it.

 

“What happened to Kyuhyun sunbaenim…that was not your fault.”

 

 

 

“How-”

 

 

 

“CALL IN! CALL IN!” Sunggyu’s voice came though from the ear piece loud and clear in distress, cutting Jaejoong’s previous thoughts away.

 

 

 

“Sunggyu hyung? What’s happening?!” L’s voice came through with panic.

 

 

 

“Sunggyu? What’s going on? What’s your status?” Jaejoong added to L’s concern.  There was nothing from the other side, only the occasional sounds of static which was something Jaejoong was dreading. He grabbed onto his gun with one hand and the other rested firmly on the handle of the car door, ready to leave at any given moment.

 

 

 

“Jaejoong hyung!” Sungyeol called, bringing his body to an upright position. He watched Jaejoong carefully while listening carefully to what was being reported. Sungyeol could guess that their connection was going to get cut with his and Jaejoong being first as they were the furthest from the rest, making it easiest to cut the line as the connection wasn’t as strong.

 

 

 

“Docum-*static* got the-*static*. Take *static* Vict-*static* and leave! NOW!” Was all they heard before the line went completely dead.

 

 

 

“Sunggyu? SUNGGYU?!” Jaejoong shouted from the top of his lungs. In an act of panic, Jaejoong threw the driver’s seat door open and climbed out of the vehicle.

 

 

 

“Hyung? JAEJOONG HYUNG!” Sungyeol shouted, just about getting the elder’s attention. He grabbed a small tablet from the side pocket of the car, switching it on.

“Calm down! What do you think will happen if you just charge up there without a plan? We need two drivers for a quick getaway in times like these and if you go now, the whole mission could be forfeited. Just wait a bit, I’ll try and get our connection back on to see what’s happening.” Jaejoong nodded, taking in every word of Sungyeol’s with care. What the younger said was right and suddenly charging in could cost them everything. He watched as Sungyeol began pressing away at the touchscreen of the tablet, eyes furrowed in concentration. It took a matter for minutes for Sungyeol to find a connection.

 

 

 

“Hello?” Sungyeol greeted, not knowing who exactly he had connected to.

 

 

 

“Sungyeol hyung?” Sungjong’s surprised voice came through the other end followed by hurried footsteps.

 

 

 

“We were cut off at the beginning; give us a quick rundown of what’s going on.” He asked, listening closely to the background of what Sungjong’s device was picking up. The assassin heard a small grunt followed by a small thud before the other began to speak again.

 

 

 

“Our mission has been found out, I’m making my way over to you right now under Hoya hyung’s orders.” Sungyeol as grateful at Hoya’s choice as Sungjong be here would allow Jaejoong to go up in his place. He furrowed his eyebrows, wondering what mess the HQ was in at the moment. He suspected L and Hoya to lag a bit with time as they were probably facing an obstacle. The only worrying thing about Sungjong report was that he didn’t include Victoria’s position, meaning the girl was not with him.

 

 

 

“Where are you now?”

 

 

 

“About 2 minutes away.”

 

 

 

 

“Great. We’ll need you to cover for Jaejoong hyung.” Sungyeol looked over to the elder who had climbed out of the van with his weapon in his hand. Their eyes met with full intensity. It was then a smile came to Jaejoong’s lip and with a nod, he left.