Chapter 19: Back to the 13th Floor

One Thing Leads To Another

 

 

All they could hear was their shallow breaths as they crouched down to their knees. Changmin was standing next to Yoochun behind a wall on the 4th floor with Kyuhyun and Sunggyu standing a little further in front. There was only the very same wall which separated the three from the rest of the intelligence team who all sat on the other side clicking and typing away. Somehow the inexperience duo had managed to get equipped with weapons and bullet proof vests with the help of Sungjong and Hoya (not realising that he had met them before during the mission with Kyuhyun).

 

Kyuhyun looked back to meet the other’s gaze only to quickly look away again. Sunggyu saw the action and reached over to squeeze the assassin’s arm. It had been no more than 10 minutes since the others were separated.

 

 

 

“Location point reached, over.” Sungyeol informed with Jaejoong confirming his location as well. Their journey to the car park was not a long one as they made sure to not waste any time getting there (not that they needed to as no one would have arrived in sure a quick time). The raven had entered the very same van he had bought Changmin and Yoochun with while Sungyeol entered his personal van. There was a thought of using a mission van but all of them had a tracker in case a mission went wrong.

 

 

 

“Location point 1 reached, over.” Hoya reported with the other two young assassins following closely behind as he was the leader of their group. They journey was split into 3 locations which were the following:

 

 

 

Location point 1: Outside of the entrance to the dungeon.

Location point 2: The half way point from within the dungeon

Location point 3: Outside of Victoria’s cell

Location point 4: Car park which Jaejoong/Sungyeol was waiting

 

 

 

“Location point A reached, over.” It was decided that Sunggyu would be the one to lead the whole operation from the start despite Kyuhyun giving the revised mission plan. Kyuhyun had put him in charge as he had never lead a group, bring one who mainly worked alone as well as not believing in himself to do so. The rest agreed as they were used to working under Sunggyu’s supervision and knew that the man would know what to do in their best interest if their plan was to go the other way. Unlike Hoya’s group, they only had three locations points to report to the others.

 

 

 

Location point A: Outside of the entrance to the intelligence office

Location point B: Inside the Master’s office

Location point C: Car park which Jaejoong/Sungyeol was waiting

 

 

 

“Proceed with next location point, over.” Sunggyu added quickly knowing that they were all in place to make their next move.

 

 

 

“Proceeding with next location point, over.” Hoya replied, waving a hand signal to proceed over to L and Sungjong. L moved first, bringing his gun close to his chest in an aggressive way. Sungjong did the same just a few steps behind the elders.

Hoya pulled down the handle of the door to the underground dungeon, after being there only as few days back, but found back it was locked. Knowing this beforehand, Hoya bent down with a lock picker and a thin metal pole. He placed the thin metal pole into the key hole, moving it to the top of the lock before putting the lock picker into the bottom of the hole. Slowly, he began to move the lock picker in a pulling motion. A click sounded and Hoya moved the metal pole lightly to the right but the lock didn’t open. He tried again and again until the metal pole pushed further to the right with a louder click. Taking the lock pick out, he pushed the pole more to the right, twisting the lock to the side and unlocking the door.

 

 

 

“Let’s go.” Hoya whispered, pocketing the equipment and taking his gun out of his back pocket. The two nodded as they watched Hoya slowly open the door. They stood on either side of the door, L right behind Hoya and Sungjong behind the door, looking in the direction of the elevator. Darkness covered the way as L remembered it as they peered into the 13th floor dungeons. Not a person in sight which was suspicious to the assassins but they couldn’t afford to waste any time. L walked in first in a crouched position.  Hoya proceeded to make his way but stopped in his tracks to turn back to look at their maknae.

 

“Report if there are anything suspicious, ok Sungjong? If there is any threat towards you, I want you to leave first find Sungyeol or Jaejoong hyung.”

 

 

 

“Roger.” Sungjong replied with a single word as his gaze met their current leader in this mission. He wasn’t happy having been left behind to guard the entrance while Hoya and L were making their way inside the dragon’s lair. Despite that, he knew that he was the least experienced out of the three and would only hinder their mission to retrieve Lady Victoria. L had tried to make the younger fell a little better by telling him how important his role was but Sungjong had long gotten over it.

 

 

 

“Stay safe.” The younger heard L say through his ear piece, bringing a smile to his lips.

 

 

 

“And both of you too.” Sungjong replied through his radio. It was then Hoya turned back and entered the dungeon, leaving Sungjong alone in the semi lit hallways of the 13th floor. The maknae looked around but spotted no CCTV cameras which were surprising since he had thought the whole HQ was guarded with these devices. However, it was different on this floor. Nothing around the corners, nothing hidden in the lights, nothing to show that had come in and who had come out.

 

 

 

The door closed behind them but left a little space for light to come in. Met with familiar darkness, L pulled down his night vision glasses from the top of his head, making Hoya do the same.

L was approximately steps ahead of Hoya, still in their crouched position. For a moment, he stopped and so did the other assassin. L listened out of any noise for life or the whirring of a camera but there was dead silence. The raven put up his hand, then switched to a single finger before pointing straight ahead.

 

 

 

‘5 minutes, single file, straight ahead (run for 5 minutes in a single file line in a straight lane).’ The code announced. As opposed to the 10 minutes it took originally to get to the end of the hallway and to Victoria, L wanted this journey to be done in half the time.

Hoya replied with a thumb up when L turned around to face him. Once the replied had been received, L turned around, waiting for the perfect time to make their move.  A 10 second count was all they needed when L raised his hand again before moving it down in a slash. Quickly, L stood up and ran forward with Hoya three paces behind.

 

 

 

‘160…161…162…’ Both counted in their head as they ran. Any movement 5 minutes of under would be counted in seconds to record their time as the darkness made it difficult for them to read their watches under the lack of light. They were a little over half way there but the darkness continued fighting against the light.

Hoya took the liberty to look around as he ran lightly, minimising noise from their footsteps but nothing could be seen even with his night vision glasses.

 

 

 

‘297…298…299…300!’ Time was up and so was the darkness as light started to come through. Quickly, L and Hoya ran towards their nearest hiding place and pressed their backs to hide their bodies from possible onlookers.

 

 

 

 “Location point 2 reached, over.” Hoya spoke through his radio, his breath visible from the sudden drop of temperature. He waited for a reply from the others and soon it came in the form of three evenly spaces knocks telling them that their report was received.

 

 

 

“Roger. No suspicious activity, over.” Sungjong added when the knocking stopped. L looked back at Hoya and nodded once. L moved forward to the entrance of the cells while Hoya moved to where L was hiding just a moment ago. The raven peered in for no more than 10 seconds before turning back onto the wall and furrowing his eyebrows. Something was wrong to the point even Hoya could tell. They had no time to go back and rethink their plan so L pushed the suspicions to the back of his mind and pressed forward. He signalled an ‘O’ with his left hand then switching to 2 fingers, quickly replacing it with 5. Then L waved his hand before putting up 2, 1 and pointed forward.

 

 

 

‘Original journey time, 10 minutes (2x5 minutes). 2 minutes, single line straight ahead. (It takes 10 minutes originally to go through this part but we need to cut it down to 2 minutes, same plan as before.)’ Hoya replied with a thumb up again and this time then sprinted forward.

 

There were metal bars everywhere, separating spaces into their own little cells. He hadn’t realised it until now but there was a damp smell around which wasn’t very pleasant around his tight clothing. Despite all of that, the lack of prisoners in the cells was what stood out to him. According to L when he reported his findings to them, there were previous convicts/targets that were held up. The reason was not stated but it was safe to assume they were too valuable to dispose of or our contractors had asked for them to be kept specifically.

 

 

 

‘99…100…101…’ Hoya counted, getting ready to stop in the next 20 or so seconds. He had been happy with the current but he had an inkling that their luck was going to run out soon enough. That was when he found himself bumped up against L’s back. The boy had stopped but time had not yet run out. Annoyed, the leader was about to use his voice when someone else spoke over him.

 

 

 

“Hey Hoya, L.” Hoya knew the voice and quickly moved in front of L, pushing the younger aside. Standing right before them was Woohyun wearing all black, tight jeans, a silk shirt with a blazer over it. His hands were stuffed in his pockets

 

 

 

“I thought Sunggyu hyung was going to come too?!” A figure from behind exclaimed, jumping forward to stand right next to their current enemy.

 

 

 

“Woohyun, Dongwoo.” Hoya spoke aiming their gun at the former. L followed, aiming it at the new person who had had not yet met in person but had heard bits and bobs about from Sungyeol since Sungjong and the others were less comfortable talking about the missing two in their 7 membered group (though Sungyeol was technically not part of their group, he was still an important member according to Sunggyu).

 

“Where is she?” He asked L to which the younger point to a cell which was blocked off with a large metal door with a small letter box sized window. They were about 3 metres away from getting to Victoria but there were two highly skilled assassins, well former assassins as they were known to be deceased to the world, blocking their way.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry but I can’t let you have her.” Woohyun announced, taking a gun out of his pocket. He aimed it right between Hoya’s eyes with blank expression. L saw this as a threat and moved to point his gun at Woohyun when Dongwoo took something out of his pocket. It was a small black box with a red button. Before anyone could say anything, Dongwoo pushed the button. A loud bang sounded before a load click. The two watched as they heard footsteps get louder in the dozens. Hoya jumped back, grabbing L with him.

 

 

 

“!” He swore as he watched the growing crowd of people appear behind Woohyun and Dongwoo. Recognising so of them as there was a couple who he had captured himself, it became clear to him that they were the missing prisoners of this cell.

 

 

 

“Hyung?! I heard a loud noise! What’s going on?” Sungjong shouted through the radio panicking.

 

 

 

“Leave and find Sungyeol. Now!” Hoya ordered, looking over at L who just nodded. He knew that Sungjong wanted to question the order but chose to follow it as trusted the elder with his life.

 

 

 

“Roger.” His voice was small. All that was heard afterwards was the footsteps telling the two that their maknae was leaving. L took a deep breath, calming his heart. You’ve done this before. It’s going to be ok, he thought to himself.

 

 

 

“L, take the right.” Hoya whispered to the other. L moved in straight away, planning out his attack in his mind. There were about two dozen prisoners

 

 

 

“Roger.”

 

 

 

“Dongwoo, take Hoya.”

 

 

 

“Okay!” Woohyun watched the two closely, only to end up focusing solely on L as Dongwoo began to move to his ex-partner in crime. 

 

 

 

“Like I said before, I can’t let you have her.” The elder repeated, closing in on the raven. He saw a smirk coming from the younger, his own face remaining emotionless.

 

 

 

“Then we’ll just have to take her from you.” It was playful, as though laughing at the other assassin because he was sure that they wouldn’t come victorious. Without another word, Woohyun jumped back and into the crowd, disappearing from everyone’s view. L followed by jumping forward but was too slow to catch the other, only to have a prisoner throw a punch to his side. Blocking the punch, L twisted his arm to lock the man in before pushing him away. The gun in his hand aimed and quickly, he took his shot right between his victim’s eyes. Others started closing in on him. They walked around the young assassin as though testing the waters. L took a quick glance at Hoya, noting that the other was doing a lot better than him in terms of bringing his opponents down.

 

 

 

The raven bent down to grab his dagger hidden in his black combat boot. As soon as the weapon was in his hand, he threw it at the closest enemy, going right though the prisoners neck. For a second, everyone looked at the dagger, confused by the weapon but that was a fatal mistake. Knowing they had been distracted, L stood up and jumped back to give him some more space. It was then he began firing shots at a continuous rate, bringing another gun out from his back pocket. In the mist of his continuous firing, he would swap his guns from right to left, his left hand doing the refilling while his right continued to fire. There was no rest as the others were gunned down one by one, falling to the floor to while in the blood of their fellow comrades.

 

 

 

‘9,10,11...! He thought, counting his fallen enemies one by one. With the decrease of people crowding around him, he spotted his main goal in the corner, waiting his turn on the fun. As l gunned down his final enemy, he turned to Woohyun in a single movement and proceeded to jump over to him. It was then he felt a harsh tug on his shirt, pulling him back.

 

 

 

“Get Victoria ssi, ill deal with him.” Hoya whispered to the younger, slightly out of breath. Turning to face the other, L noticed the thin layer of sweat that covered his forehead as well as the uneven breathing from Hoya. He was getting tired and so was he. Without saying anything, he nodded.

 

The two walked forward towards their enemies, each keeping to their own. Dongwoo and Woohyun mimicked the other, closing the gap between them. A few metres apart, Hoya clicked his finger as a sign to move. Just then, L ran forward, catching Woohyun off guard. The elder proceeded to catch the raven but L ducked too fast for Woohyun to do anything. Before he could react, Hoya ran in front, blocking the younger from his opponent. All L could do was run towards Victoria’s cell. The keys jingled in his hands, almost falling from him.

 

 

 

“WHAT?! HOW-?” Woohyun shouted patting at his at his waist only to realise his keys were missing. Hoya leaned in for a punch but Woohyun was fast enough to react, dodging it from the side.

 

L managed to open the door without any problems, revealing a frightened Victoria in the corner of the room.

 

 

 

“Victoria ssi, we are here to collect you.” He smile, taking off his night vision glasses for a bit to reveal his face before slipping them back on again. Victoria’s expression instantly softened as she remember the boy who visited her a few days back with a promise to bring her back.

 

 

 

“I’ll be your opponent.” He growled, quickly moving back to a better place before standing guard again. Woohyun’s eyes turned dark before he moved his body to a fighting pose. Dongwoo walked over to join his partner, following in his steps. Hoya hide a gulp, knowing that the both of them combined was too much for him. The most he could last was 5 minutes but that should be enough for L to bring Victoria to the half way point of this underground dungeon. Their movements came slowed in Hoya’s eyes. The first to move was Dongwoo while Woohyun was a single step behind. He braced himself for the impact, bringing his arms to cover his head. It was then, the siren rang.

 

 

 

*BIRIRIRIRIRIR BRIRIRIRIRIRIRIIRIIIIIIIIII* The loud noise stung as it hit the ear drums of all those in the building. Some fell down, groaning in pain as it was a first they had heard of the sound.

 

 

 

“What’s that?” L groaned, grabbing onto Victoria who fell to the floor covering her ears as the noise rang. Hoya turned around in shock, knowing what the siren meant.

 

 

 

“L-“ He shouted to his partner but was cut off by a furious Woohyun.

 

 

 

“, , ! What did you guys do?!” Woohyun cursed loudly, fast walking to the younger assassin who was helping Victoria out of her cell. Hoya moved in but a furious punch by the elder caused him to fall to the ground with a groan.

 

“DONGWOO!” He called for his partner who nodded and picked Hoya up, throwing the other’s arm around his shoulder and holding him steady by the waist. A static sounded from their ear piece, loud enough to reach the sensitive ears of those who trained.

 

 

 

“CALL IN! CALL IN!” Woohyun’s eyes widened at the sound of his (ex) lover’s voice. Panic was obvious in his voice as he was waiting impatiently for a reply from someone, anyone.

 

 

 

“Sunggyu hyung? What’s happening?!” L answered; worried that something had gone wrong with their side of the mission. It took approximately 1 minute for Sunggyu to answer but for the ones who didn’t know what was happening, it felt like a lifetime of waiting.

 

 

 

“Docum-*static* got the-*static*. Take *static* Vict-*static* and leave! NOW!” *Shouting* The piece’s reception was being intercepted, probably by the intelligence team who had figured them out but L could understand everything and so did the others. The inaudible shouted came from a group of people, possible close to the amount L and Hoya had just fought off themselves.

 

 

 

“Hyung? HYUNG?! What’s your position? Answer me! HYUNG?!” Now there was full on panic in L’s voice as the shouting got louder and louder, draining out any useful sounds that could help L find out what was really going on. Tall he could hear is the deep breathing of Sunggyu followed by some low groans and whispered curses.

 

 

 

“GYU! What’s going on?!” Woohyun was more impatient than usual. Hearing his soulmate on the other side made him act out in ways he normally didn’t do. Level headed was something that was totally foreign to him as he ripped out L’s earpiece from him, taking it as his own.

 

Woohyun spoke through the speaker on the ear piece. He kept his eyes on L in case the younger jumped in to take back the device but that was not possible with Victoria by his side, he would have jumped into a losing battle. Woohyun put up the volume to the fullest, keeping the earpiece near to his ear but not directly.

 

 

 

“They foun- *static* out…! We *static* need to leav *static*! , Kyuhyun ssi!” What they heard next was the sound of gun shots firing from all angles before the ear piece ultimately went dead on the other side.