Summer

Loose Leaves and Popping Petals

In one word – it was horrible.

Perhaps because he had missed him so much, Sungyeol’s flirting had reached a completely new level. The days he couldn't spend harrassing Sungjong seemed to have made him determined to make his life absolute hellish on his return. Even in front of the patients and other staffs, he spewed inappropriate remarks, directed at Sungjong, until the younger had simply stalked off in the middle of the patient rounds, blatantly disregarding the fact that he was walking out not only on his superior but the Head of the Department.

But he had had enough and he was fuming inside his room, banging his fists on the table - he knew it was wrong to walk away from his superior but Sungyeol’s behavior had been unthinkable. He didn’t want to be the new laughing stock at the department; he already had a lot more to cope with.

He spent the lunch time cooped up in his room. Fortunately, no one came along to bother him – the story of his storming off from the Head of the Department had probably been circulated well around the department, maybe even the hospital – so they were probably giving him time to cool off. Or they were busy gossiping about it.

Either ways, Sungjong couldn’t be bothered about it.

The first day of work after vacation had definitely not been the way he had wanted to kick things off. He had hoped that this would be a new beginning for him; but it turned out to be rather bleak. And there was only one person to blame – Lee Sungyeol.

For one wild moment, he wanted to resign. But when he returned to his senses, he realized that this was his only purpose of life – to keep alive, this was what he had to do.

So when he received a page to report to the patient examination room after lunch break, he collected his things, took a deep breath and promised himself that he wouldn’t lose his head anymore.

By the time he reached the examination room, Sungyeol was already there, sitting comfortably in his chair while a junior doctor arranged the files on his table.

“There you are Sungjong!” Sungyeol said enthusiastically the moment he entered the room. He didn’t seem angry about his display of hot headedness earlier; Sungjong hadn’t expected him to be – he had probably enjoyed the show. It was fortunate for him too because any other person would have surely fired him, or at least suspended him.

“Sir,” Sungjong said curtly, taking his place beside Sungyeol. The moment he did so, Sungyeol’s hand landed on his thigh.

Calm, keep calm, you’re here to save lives – Sungjong reminded himself repeatedly but it was difficult with the junior doctor grinning from ear to ear and Sungyeol’s hand moving up his thighs slowly.

“How was lunch?” Sungyeol asked him innocently, as if he couldn’t see what was so wrong about resting his hand on his assistant’s thigh. Sungjong jerked his leg from underneath Sungyeol’s hand.

“Great.” He feared that if he spoke too much, it wouldn’t be very pleasant.

“Shall we begin then?” Sungyeol slurred seductively, sending fire up his throat. His face probably showed what he was feeling inside because Sungyeol laughed and replaced his hand back to the table. “The first patient, Jinyoung.”

The junior doctor, Jinyoung, passed Sungjong the file and went out to call the patient.

While examining the patients, Sungyeol regained some of his professionalism and Sungjong was pleased to see that even though the professor made some unnecessary tasteless jokes, he took his job seriously. Sungjong was of course doing most of the work but at least Sungyeol kept the flirtation to a minimum.

One good thing about Sungyeol’s lighthearted mood was that the patients, who were usually anxious and somber, felt better and more comfortable. They would treat Sungyeol like a friend, especially the ones who had met him before and Sungyeol would pretend as if he had known them forever. Even Sungjong smiled once or twice at a joke he would tell but he made sure he didn’t notice him; he wouldn’t let him have the satisfaction.

The rest of the time, Sungjong was somber, almost cold with the professor. He would answer his questions with one or two syllable, unless it was a medical-related question of course. He knew he was being cruel with him but that didn’t do anything to discourage Sungyeol.

When they were finally done, Sungyeol and Sungjong walked to the former’s office. Sungjong was in no mood for conversation but Sungyeol didn’t keep quiet.

“So you wouldn’t tell me how that Kim guy is,” Sungyeol started casually.

Please, anything but that. Sungjong cleared his throat.

“Fine.”

“Okay so if you don’t tell me, I have to find out for myself. How about I come to your house this Friday night?”

If Sungjong had less self-control, he’d have choked Sungyeol with his bare hands.

“No,” he stated firmly.

“Why not? I do have a right.”

“You don’t have any right.” Sungjong sounded harsher than he had meant to but when he saw that it didn’t affect Sungyeol, he stopped feeling sorry.

“Yes I do. I’ve been your admirer for the longest time. Even before that Kim guy came around.”

He thought about the statement – it was sort of true. He had known Sungyeol for longer than he had known Myungsoo, and Sungyeol had always been flirting with him.

But that doesn’t give him any right whatsoever – he concluded.

“You know,” Sungyeol began when he saw that Sungjong wasn’t speaking. “You’re in an extra foul mood today. Did the Kim guy give you a hard time last night?” He sniggered at his own joke while Sungjong looked appalled.

That’s it, I’m not talking to him anymore. Sungjong sealed his lips.

For the next few hours, they worked together – Sungyeol trying to get him to talk and even apologizing for what he had done but Sungjong refused to say a word. He would shoot fire out of his eyes every time Sungyeol tried to touch him and he purposely slammed the files onto Sungyeol’s hand with all his might.

Of course if this was any other Head of the Department, Sungjong would have been fired by now. Or at least he would be on probation or receive a warning. But no such thing happened, because Sungyeol would never let Sungjong get into any trouble, and the younger was secretly glad for that.

By the time Sungjong clocked off, he was exhausted and bitter. He had to fend off so much in one day, and turn a deaf ear to so many rumors involving him and Sungyeol – his mind and body needed rest. His one last stand was to refuse the offer of being driven home by Sungyeol. But it was late, and the bus station was empty so he willingly accepted when Daehyun wanted to give him a ride home.

At least with Daehyun, he didn’t have to be afraid of being harassed. So he allowed his head to roll back and let darkness overtake his mind.