Letter 3

Loose Leaves and Popping Petals

Dear Myungsoo,

 

Was I always this slow on Fridays?

 

I can’t seem to get anything done. I feel jetlagged, even though I haven’t been anywhere for the last year. I mean working my mind and body off for the thesis - that was no piece of cake. I didn’t even take a vacation. I could have, but I didn’t want to. I mean what’s the point? I’d go to some place, wander around like a lost puppy, waste some money and come back home jetlagged.

 

Unlike our last vacation in Singapore, when we went to the beach, had exotic food every day, shopped in those beautiful high-rise malls and slept with each other’s breathing for company in the posh hotel suite. But then again, every day with you was like a vacation, and I never felt homesick.

 

Ah, you’re a luxury I can’t afford anymore – vacations, I mean. I was referring to vacations, not you.

 

Tell me, will you get bored of these letters? I only write the most mundane things, but things have been pretty quiet. Pop always manages to give me a headache though; you should see the looks she gives me. Like I had committed a sin. If you’d been here, you could scold her and put her in line. But you’d have never done it…

 

Truth is, Pop misses you. She does, I can tell from the way she turns her neck every time the doorbell rings. Sometimes she takes a walk around the neighborhood, searching for your scent.  And on some nights, she curls up on your side of bed, careful not to brush against me. We need to work out our issues, Pop and I. But without you, that’s close to impossible.

 

PS: Do you have a new pet? Pop wouldn’t be too happy about it…

 

With love,

Sungjong