Autumn

Loose Leaves and Popping Petals

Sungjong woke up to the persistent ringing of his cellphone alarm. He stretched, checking the time even though he knew it exactly: 6.46 am. Sitting up on the bed, he stretched again, feeling his eyes glued to the lids. He didn’t fully wake up until he splashed copious amount of cold water on his face. It was October, the mornings were cold, the water even colder. It stung his face and he reached for the towel blindly, knocking off a few items off the shelf.

By the time he was downstairs, fully dressed and equipped with everything he’d need for the day, it was 7.13am. He dragged his feet toward the kitchen to whip himself up something quick up for breakfast when something brushed against his feet. He looked down to find an orange-furred, white whiskered feline knocking its head against his leg.

“Ah I almost forgot about you Pop.” The cat shook his head exasperatedly.

So typical.

“Right, your breakfast.” Sungjong stooped down, opening the cupboard where he kept the cat food as Bubble Pop, lovingly called Pop, padded away to take his seat beside the chair.

Sighing, Sungjong drew out the last empty box.

“We’re out.” He cursed inwardly, he hadn’t remembered to refill the stock. They usually bought enough for 3 months; he didn’t expect it to be over so soon. He looked up to meet Pop’s disapproving gaze. Pop was fuming, he was the only lady of the house of course and she expected special treatment.

Sungjong threw up his hands resignedly.

“I’m sorry okay? I forgot.”

She shot him another reproachful look.

Myungsoo never forgot.

Sungjong huffed. Pop always liked to hate Sungjong, even in her best mood. She was especially bitter after – after Myungsoo left because there had been a serious decline in her pampering ever since. Who’d expect Myungsoo to be a cat lover, with his dark eyes and cold gaze but the truth was, Myungsoo’s appearance told a very different story to what was really inside. His looks were cent percent misleading.

Sungjong pushed the thoughts about what an irresponsible owner he had been and Myungsoo away forcefully. The latter was just a tad bit more difficult than the former.

He couldn’t let Pop go without breakfast and since it was too early for the grocery shop around the corner, from where he bought his supplies usually, to open he decided on the only alternative he had.

He took Pop’s breakfast bowl, a bright orange melamine dish that they had bought from a fair, and with a hasty “I’ll be back,” left her to mewl inside the house. The morning was cold as expected and even though it took only 30 seconds to cross the road and ring the bell on the house opposite to his, he was frozen by the time the door opened. A girl with long dark hair smiled at him. By the looks of her, she’d been up for quite some time.

“Morning Suzy.”

The girl’s smile widened.

“Good morning! And what have I done right to have you on my doorstep? This early too?”

“Umm…it’s, I’m out of cat food and you know the shops don’t open until 9 and -”

Her smile widened but there was something else fluttering just behind her irises – disappointment, maybe. “I’ll get the food. Just hang on a second.”

Suzy disappeared inside the house as Sungjong stood on the front porch, shivering. He was about to stuff his hand inside the pocket when he realized he was still holding Pop’s bowl. He was confused – how was Suzy getting the food if he had the bowl…

“There you go.” Suzy handed him an unopened packet, the same brand Pop usually feasted on.

“Suzy you didn’t have to, just a bowl would do, I’ll get him some on the way from work…” Suzy cut across him by handing him another plastic box.

“I guess you won’t have time to make breakfast since it’s almost thirty past seven, so just eat the sandwich on the way.” Sungjong looked down at the sandwich box – his heart ached a tiny bit.

“Thanks Suzy, thank you. For both of our breakfasts.” He made a brave attempt to smile. Suzy shook it off and he asked about her job, since it was the courteous thing to do.

“You obviously have no interest in that.” She didn’t let him protest. “It’s fine, talking about jobs is boring anyways. Besides, you’re getting late.” She smiled again, that sincere, heart-warming smile. If only Sungjong possessed an ounce of that sincerity.

He trudged back to his house, head bent low against the cold. When Pop had his breakfast bowl fixed in front of him and she was purring contentedly, Sungjong donned on his last jacket and muffler. He looked at the sandwich for some time before wolfing it down. Finishing his breakfast with a large swig of milk, he muttered a goodbye to Pop and locked the front door. The cat didn’t even look up a second time.

“Stop being mad with me,” he wanted to say, but he knew Pop would never forgive him for taking away his caresses and pettings and comforts. What she didn’t know was that he wanted them back as much as her, maybe even more.

He traced his daily route to the library, head bowed and fingers deeply into his pockets. He would soon be done with his research work at the library and then he could go back to his usual life. He sighed as he thought about the term ‘usual’. Was there any going back to usual life for him? It couldn’t be usual if the most important element of platitude was missing from his life. Well not platitude, no, Myungsoo was the one who made his mundane life different.

The early morning silence was interrupted by the continuous honking of a car. Irritated, he looked behind him to find Suzy waving at him frantically from the driver’s seat of her car. She had that big smile on her face.

“Are you deaf?” she asked playfully.

“Well, you were trying to make me go deaf.” Sungjong returned the smile.

“Let me give you a lift. It must be boring to walk alone.”

Sungjong shook his head vigorously.

“Oh no, it’s completely fine. I don’t mind at all. I love this walk.” And today would be the last day he’d take this walk; he wanted to relish it.

“But – it’ll be no trouble for me, you know.” Suzy looked at him earnestly. Sungjong bit his lips.

“Thanks a lot Suzy, but some other day.” Suzy’s face fell immediately. He could see that, he wasn’t blind or imperceptive. But he pretended not to see it because he didn’t need more regrets than he already had.

“Have a good day.” Suzy’s voice was choked. What kind of a man was Sungjong, who made a lady cry?

“The worst kind,” he mumbled to himself as he continued his journey.