Chapter 08

A Midsummer Dream...

Henry was in his bed with a woman in his arms. He held her tight as he caressed her bare shoulder before he kissed it. He could feel her soft, smooth skin under his touch. For now, he could only see her back. He whispered in her ear, “I love you.”

“I love you too.” He heard the woman say back at him as she slowly turned to face him.

He could feel that he was bare under the comforters and so was she. Henry fiddled with her hair as she brushed a free hand through his hair passionately. The woman in his arms similarly resembled Amber. She had a grin on her face that to him looked beautiful.

Her lips were lusciously pink and he couldn’t resist but to lean in for a kiss. She didn’t deny his touch and they kissed. His hand traced her back slowly that made her shudder under his touch. Her hands ran through his hair.

DING DONG! DING DONG! DING DONG!

The sound got louder and louder and soon enough, Henry realized that it was all a dream. The sound continued on and on and on.

“Who is it?!” Henry yelled from his bed with his eyes closed.

“It’s the hotel management!” He heard a male voice answering him from behind the door.

Henry grunted as he grabbed the alarm clock next to his bed before he lazily got out of bed. His legs shuffled against the carpet as he headed for the door. After seeing through the peep hole, he opened up the door and saw a man dressed in the hotel’s official tee and short khaki pants.

“Good morning sir. Sorry to bother. We have your laundry ready.” He said as he raised the newly done laundry in front of him.

“I didn’t ask for any laundry done.” Henry said as he prop his arm on the door with his eyes half closed.

“Owh really? I guess I have the wrong room. Sorry to bother you sir.” The man apologized and was about to leave.

Henry was about to close the door when he hurriedly swung it open again and called out to the hotel employee, “Wait a minute!”

The employee turns around and Henry runs up to him. Henry grabbed the clothes from the man’s hand and stared at it. The clothes were familiar until he realized whom it belonged to.

“It’s alright, you’ve got the right room. My bad.” Henry started heading towards his cabin again.

“How much is it?” He asked.

After paying the employee, Henry shut the door and walked over to his bed. He laid the clothes on the bed. There was a black shirt with white stripes and pair of white skinny jeans. Henry smirked seeing them. The waitress from the previous night probably didn’t know Amber’s cabin and had it sent to his room instead.

Amber stirred in her bed before her eyes slowly opened. She stared at the white ceiling blinking a few times before she sat up and ruffled her hair. Amber realized that she still had Henry’s blazer in her hand. Amber left it aside and pushed the covers away. She walked towards the balcony and stretched as she took in the fresh air. It was a nice sunny morning and the sun shone brightly. As she leaned against the railing, without herself realizing she was staring into Henry’s room.

From where she stood, she could see Henry standing at the edge of his bed looking down at something before he turned away. Amber hurriedly turned her body away hopping that he hadn’t noticed her standing there probably looking like she was gawking at him. Feeling curious, Amber looked over her shoulder and thought that Henry wasn’t looking her way anymore so she turns around to face his cabin’s balcony.

To her surprise, Henry stood at the edge of the balcony staring right back at her. He had a smug look on his face and it instantly made her annoyed. Amber made a face, her heels and walked back into her room.

“Who does he think he is looking all smug and all.” Amber muttered under her breath as she kicked the shoes by her door out of her way.

Henry looked away from the clothes on his bed and looked out towards his balcony. The curtains were open and Henry noticed Amber standing at her balcony staring into his room. Amber had probably noticed him looking at her because she had suddenly turned away.

“She must be so embarrassed.” Henry chuckled as he headed for the balcony.

Heading out to the balcony, Henry could still only see Amber’s back. She looked fidgety but he wasn’t sure. Henry walked towards the edge of the balcony and leaned against the railing with his arms crossed. Amber looked over her shoulder for a second before she turned around. She looked surprise to see him standing there as he smirked at her. Amber put on a funny face and hurriedly walked into her room. Seeing her reaction made Henry chuckle again. He had a feeling that she would be someone fun to get to know.

After Amber had gotten ready, Amber looked at herself in the mirror. She had a bright green coloured t-shirt and a pair of matching coloured shorts. Amber turned towards her suitcase and went through the number of caps she had brought along with her. After finally deciding on one, with a satisfied look Amber grabbed for her guitar and got out of her cabin on the way to breakfast.

“Alright, this is the third day. Please, oh please let this day be good!” Amber prayed outside her door with her hands clasped and her eyes closed.

“Are you praying?” Amber heard someone talk.

Opening only one side of her eye, Amber saw Henry standing right in front of her. He wasn’t in his black shirt and black slacks she saw him wearing earlier on the balcony anymore. Amber rolled her eyes and walked pass him.

“I told you to leave me alone.” Amber said when she saw Henry walking next to her.

Henry didn’t respond to her but continued to walk along with her. He had his sunglasses slipped on and his hands deep in his pocket. Henry saw a guitar case strapped to Amber’s back and her camcorder in one hand.

“You play the guitar?” Henry asked.

“Just go away.” Amber answered sounding annoyed.

Amber picked up her pace and left Henry alone. Ever since Henry found out that she was actually a girl, it just pretty much made things more amusing. Amber walked way ahead of him but Henry followed her closely.

Amber opened up her camcorder and stared into the lens as she adjusted her cap before she started talking.

“So, it’s already the third day here in Hawaii. Honestly, haven’t been able to swim in the sea yet and haven’t been able to do anything fun.” Amber sighed into the camera as she pouted.

“Anyways, gonna spend the entire day at the beach with my trusty guitar!” Amber tapped the guitar on her back as she smiled.

Amber loved music and playing the guitar and singing was what she liked doing the most. So, what was better than to do something she loved to pick up her mood after two unsatisfying days?

After breakfast, Amber went to the beach and found a nice seat under a shady tree. Amber propped her guitar against the lazy chair as she went off to set up her camcorder. When she was done preparing and getting comfortable, Amber started strumming a few tunes on her guitar.

A few seats away, Henry sat under the sun as he watched Amber strumming her guitar strings. When she looked like she was ready, Amber started strumming a song as she sang along.

“Well you done done me and you bet I felt it

I tried to be chill but you're so hot that I melted

I fell right through the cracks, now I'm trying to get back”

Her voice was clear as she started singing the first verse and Henry was impressed. When she went on to the next verse, she had somehow caught others’ attention and soon enough a number of people had already gathered around her to hear her sing. Amber didn’t look like she was affected by it and was totally immersed in singing and playing her guitar.

Amber played the tune to Jason Mraz’s I’m Yours as she sang. She smiled when she saw the amount of people gathering around her to listen. Her audience clapped as soon as she strummed the last chord and hit the last note to the song.

“Thank you!” Amber exclaimed happily.

Slowly the people dispersed while they complimented on either her great singing ability or her fairly good guitar skills. When most of the people had gone off minding their own business, Amber hummed to a song as she lightly played some chords. Henry sat a few seats away from her as he watched her play. She honestly looked like she was enjoying herself.

Just then, a group of teenage girls stood a few meters away huddled together as they giggled and whispered before one of them was pushed to the front away from the group. Amber was oblivious about their presence as she was too immersed into her guitar.

“Urm… Hi.” The girl was dressed in a bathing suit and her hair into a high ponytail.

Amber stopped playing her guitar and looked up at the girl standing at the edge of her chair.

“Hi.” Amber smiled at her and the girl immediately turned pink.

“I… urm… err… I like your guitar.” The girl blurted out after a while struggling on what to say.

“Thanks.” Amber answered her as she raised the guitar in her hand.

Henry watched from afar and noticed that the teenage girl was actually trying hard to flirt with Amber and was probably clueless that Amber was actually a girl. Henry chuckled as he leaned into his chair thinking whether he should interfere or just sit and watch what would happen next.

“Owh… How rude. I’m… erm… Jenna.” The girl said as she shyly extended her hand out. Her other hand was busy twirling her hair looking like she was shy and nervous at the same time.

Amber still smiled as she reached for Jenna’s hand. But before Amber got the chance to, Henry appeared in front of her.

“Hey.” Henry said as he sat down next to Amber.

Jenna looked startled to see Henry. She looked awestruck by Henry’s presence.

“I was looking for you.” Henry said as he placed a hand on Amber’s thigh.

“What are you doing?” Amber frowned as she pushed his hand away.

Henry let out a laugh as he turned to face Jenna. Jenna was standing there staring at Henry’s hand that earlier was placed on Amber’s thigh.

“And who are you?” Henry asked staring at the girl.

“I… Urm… err…” The girl tried to say something but had suddenly turned tongue tied.

“Flirting with my man eh?” Henry said that made the girl wide eyed.

“No! No! I’m sorry to bother.” Jenna hurriedly apologized and quickly left.

Jenna walked away embarrassedly as her friends who looked slightly puzzled too hurried after her as they called her name.

“What the hell was that?!” Amber yelled when she saw the girl walk away.

Henry shrugged his shoulders as he turned to face Amber who looked utterly furious.

“Your man? Seriously? And I thought you said you weren’t gay.” Amber stared at Henry.

“Technically, I never said I wasn’t gay. Not that I’m agreeing that I’m one either.” Henry said as he removed his sunglasses.

“I told you not to follow me too didn’t I?” Amber rolled her eyes as she looked away from Henry annoyingly.

“Well, I didn’t say I’d promise to that either.” Henry retorted as he smirked turning to look at Amber who was looking sideways.

Amber sighed realizing that arguing with Henry had never gone smoothly nor does she have the upper hand. When she thought she was about to have a nice time alone to herself, he came back and ruined it all over again.

“So you play the guitar huh?” Henry asked with his eyes fixed on her guitar now.

“Yeah. So?” Amber turned towards Henry to notice that Henry wasn’t even looking at her instead his eyes were on her guitar.

“That’s a nice one. Mind if I try?” Henry asked his tone of voice was different.

Henry didn’t sound like that over-confident man who was in the midst of flirting. He just looked and sounded like an amused boy.

Amber hesitated but flatly answered, “Sure but be careful.”

Henry nodded his head obediently as he gently took the guitar out of Amber’s hands. Amber could see his eyes twinkled and a small smile on his face. His fingers traced the guitar strings as he observed the guitar in his hand like it was a delicate piece. Amber stared at Henry whom to her looked different at the moment.

“Want me to play a song?” Henry asked her happily.

Amber shrugged her shoulders like she didn’t really care. Henry started fiddling with the guitar and strummed a few chords before he started playing a song. Amber was slightly taken aback to know that he was actually good at playing the guitar. With a guitar in his hand, Henry had completely seemed to have turn into a different person. Or at least that was how Amber saw him at the moment.

Half way through the song, Henry stopped plucking the guitar and handed it back to Amber. Amber was baffled as she was honestly enjoying the song.

“Why’d you stop?” Amber asked as she took back the guitar.

Henry was quiet. He didn’t answer her question but slipped on his sunglasses and leaned into the chair next to Amber’s.

“Whatever, you play. I’m not interested.” Was all he said.

Amber made a ‘pfft’ sound and turned back to her guitar as she continued to play a different song.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if this was a good chapter but I really hope you guys like it... I'm having a little bit of a tough time trying to get the best idea and scene for this story to go on... So, I hope you guys can be patient to wait for the next upcoming chapters... If I don't finish this up by next month then I'm sorry that you guys might have to wait a lil' longer.. I can't write if I'm not on a semester break because of studies so, again I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!!