Chapter 04

A Midsummer Dream...

 

The next day, Amber woke up to the sun shining in her face. She opened one side of her eye and noticed that the curtains at the sliding door that lead to the balcony was wide open. Her eyes squinted at the direction of the sunlight before she turned her body away and pulled the covers over her head. She snuggled into the fluffy covers feeling comfortable when a scent caught her attention.

Amber felt weird and sniffed the covers again. Oddly the covers smelt like a male’s cologne. She then quickly pulled the covers away and sat up on the bed. Wide eyed, she looked around the room. Her guitar that she had placed on the couch wasn’t there instead there was a pillow lying at its edge. Her turquoise colored luggage was replaced by a brown duffel bag. The clothes she wore the day before wasn’t lying on the floor next to where her luggage was supposed to be. She then noticed a pair of jeans that looked way too large to be her size hanging on a chair. Amber then looked down at her body. Her clothes were still the same from the night before and nothing looked out of place. The bed too looked like she had been the only one sleeping in it. Or at least someone hadn’t stayed in bed with her long enough. Amber then decided that she wasn’t going to stay any longer and quickly headed for the door. Amber hurriedly ran out the door and slammed it behind her.

“You’re awake?” A voice said from behind her.

Amber got shocked and slammed her back against the door and was now staring at Henry standing in front of her. Henry noticed that Amber didn’t seem like she wasn’t going to move, so he went over to the chair placed at the verandah and sat down.

“Why was I here?” Amber asked finally.

“You passed out.” Henry said as he put on a pair of sunglasses.

“I… Passed out?” Amber repeated and Henry nodded his head.

“And you brought me to your room?” Again Henry nodded at her question as he was reading a man’s magazine.

“Did anything happen?” Amber asked in a slow manner.

“Let me just clear all your questions. Yes, you passed out and almost fell into the ocean and I saved you. You were so drunk that you wouldn’t wake up even when I’ve yelled like a million times. So, I brought you to my room and allowed you to sleep on my bed. Is that enough?” Henry said looking at Amber.

“We slept in the same bed?” Amber asked worriedly.

“No we didn’t. Even if we did, it’s not a big deal anyway?” Henry answered nonchalantly.

“Not a big deal?!” Amber said almost shouting.

“You’re a guy and I’m a guy. So what? Wait… Are you gay?” Henry said looking at her like with a fake shocked expression.

Hearing him talk right at that moment somehow was making her feel pissed off.  Amber wasn’t sure if she wanted to stay and argue. She was tired with all the mess from yesterday and she wasn’t going to deal with any today. She has had enough of it. Without saying a word, Amber stomped off the verandah and went over to her own cabin.

Once she was in her room, Amber leaned against the door and took in everything she could see. The guitar was still on the couch like she had remembered and her clothes from yesterday was lying on the floor next to her turquoise coloured luggage. Amber heaved a sigh of relief before she went over to her bed and plopped down.

“Amber Liu. So far, your holiday has seriously been a disaster. Your first night and you’re already sleeping in some stranger’s room!” Amber mumbled as she shook her head.

Just then, she could hear her ringtone playing near her jeans on the floor. She walked over and pulled out the phone that had been sitting in her jeans pocket. The caller ID had the word ‘MAMA’ written on it. Amber hurriedly answered the call.

“Amber Liu! I called you like a million times! Why didn’t you pick up?!” The woman yelled over the phone.

“She’s not a kid. Leave her alone on her vacation!” She could hear her father talk in the background.

“Don’t in!” Her mother scolded her father back.

“Sorry ma. I was… erm… out the whole afternoon and left my phone on vibrate in my jeans pocket after I got changed yesterday. So, I didn’t hear you call. Sorry.” Amber made up an excuse for herself.

“Don’t ever put your phone on vibrate again! And you never even texted me when you reached the hotel!” Her mother continued to nag and scold her.

Amber sighed as she kept muttering the word ‘sorry’ and ‘yes’.

“Yes, I get it ma. I’m sorry. I just woke up. I haven’t had my breakfast yet. So, I’ll call you back later tonight alright?” Amber tried to reason herself out of her mother’s nagging.

“It’s 10 A.M! And you just woke up?!” Her mother yelled sounding unsatisfied.

“Ma! I’m hanging up now. My stomach is super hungry right now. Bye, love you!” Amber quickly said and hung up.

She then tossed the phone on her bed and got off the floor. After her shower, Amber got dressed and went out to the hotel’s café for breakfast. During breakfast, Amber noticed a couple of the hotel’s tour guide going around table by table promoting something with flyers in their hands. Then, just a table away a very handsome and strongly built man walked up towards her. He wore the hotel’s official t-shirt so she guessed that he was part of the tour guiding group.

“Good morning. How are you enjoying your stay so far?” He asked with a smile on his face.

“Not so good.” Was what Amber thought but instead she just answered with a silent "Fine" while keeping a smile on her face.

“That’s nice to hear. Well, I’m here to promote you an event we’re having tonight. It’s just like a party. We’ll be dancing, singing and mingling about through the night. There’ll be games and prizes too.” He said showing her one of the flyers in his hand.

“I hope you’ll come join us. Come in your best clothes and we’ll party through the night.” He said smiling handsomely at her.

“Alright sure. Thanks.” Amber said as she felt herself blush seeing how handsome the man was.

“Enjoy your breakfast.” He said as Amber took the flyer from his hand and he left for the next table.