Chapter 15

A Midsummer Dream...

Amber wasn’t sure what time it was but she felt like she had just woken up from a dream. She shifted under the covers and faced the other side only to be surprised by seeing Henry’s face. She wanted to pinch herself wondering if she was waking up in a dream. Silently her hand reached for Henry’s face. Her fingers touched against his cheek. It was real, he is real. It wasn’t a dream. It all then came back to her what happened the previous night.

She smiled as she caressed his cheek. She didn’t want all of this to disappear. She wanted it to be just the way it is now.

“Good morning.” Henry said groggily suddenly that Amber was slightly taken aback.

She drew back her hand and pushed her hair behind her ear.

“Good morning.” Amber answered still looking back at Henry.

Slowly Henry opened up his eyes. Just barely opening it and smiled.

“Did you have a good sleep?” He asked as he sat up from the bed.

He was still dressed in his clothes from the day before. Without realizing, Amber released a sigh of relief.

“Stop thinking dirty. I’ll go take a shower first and we’ll go for breakfast okay?” Henry said hovering over her.

Amber was too shocked to answer him and just nodded her head. Did he just read her mind or did she just make it too obvious.

“Stop being so shocked. See you later beauty.” Henry said giving her a peck on the cheek before he climbed out of bed and let himself out of the room.

Amber stayed still under the covers with her hand over her cheek. That was a whole lot of surprises for one morning was what she had in mind. She didn’t even realize they had fallen asleep in her bed, in her hotel room together. Nothing really happened but it was all such a surprise to her.

Slowly, Amber pushed the covers away and went on to take a shower. Amber was too lazy to consider what she was wearing. She pulled on one of her knee ripped jeans and a yellow graphic tee. She scanned through her luggage and pulled out one of her tattered vintage baseball cap. She adjusted her bangs right before she heard a knock on the door. Upon unlocking, Henry stood there with a light blue buttoned down shirt with navy blue wife beaters underneath and a pair of khakis. She hadn’t seen him that casual for quite some time.

“Ready?” He asked as he signaled her to hook arms with him.

Amber just stood there looking back at him. She couldn’t stop herself from rubbing her palms against her jeans. Without a second thought, Henry grabbed her hand and hooked arms with her.

“Let’s go.” He said pulling her out from the door.

Amber hurriedly grabbed for her bag by the door and closed the door behind her.

“I like the cap.” Henry said as he pulled down her cap.

“Hey!” Amber stopped him as she adjusted her cap again.

“My grandpa gave it to me.” Amber said quietly.

“I played a little baseball when I was kid.” Henry said suddenly.

“And don’t you play it anymore?” Amber asked curiously.

“Nah…” Henry answered as he shook his head.

“And why’s that?” Amber asked when they were seated for breakfast.

“I dunno. I guess I got older?” Henry shrugged as he took a sip of his coffee.

“What does getting older have to do with playing baseball?” Amber scoffed as she felt like it was a ridiculous answer.

“I played baseball with my dad when I was a kid.” Henry started talking as he ate.

“And the both of you don’t play anymore?” Amber cautiously asked as she too ate trying not to look like she was too eager.

“Like I said, I got older and I suppose he did to. He just…” Henry’s words floated in the air and Amber looked up from her plate.

Amber could somehow make out a tinge of sadness in his eyes but then it soon transitioned when he smiled a little.

“I dunno. We just stopped. My dad had better things to do then play baseball and I lost interest anyway.” Henry said like it wasn’t a big problem as he ate.

“Did your grandpa play baseball?” Henry asked trying to divert the questions away from him.

“He did. He was even in the minor league but he stopped when he married my grandma.” Amber answered.

“He thought me a little baseball too.” Amber smiled but then it soon faded.

“So, how old is grandpa now?” Henry asked.

“He passed away few years back.” Amber answered as she gulped down some juice.

“Owh… I’m sorry.” Henry said.

“No need to. People come and go don’t they? Everyone’s meant to leave one day.” Amber said nonchalantly playing with her scrambled eggs.

“What about we take a tour around Hawaii later huh?” Henry suggested trying to get rid of the somewhat sad atmosphere.

“Sounds good.” She said nodding her head.

After they were done with their own share of food, Amber waited right outside the door of the café as she waited for Henry to return from the men’s room. Just then, her phone started buzzing. An email from her sister had just gone through. It was a link to her new flight ticket home. Her fingers hovered hesitantly over the link before she finally clicked it.

She wasn’t bothered to read the rest but searched for the time and date. It was a 3 p.m flight for tomorrow.

“Amber?” Henry’s voice shook her as she hurriedly locked her phone and dropped her hand to her sides.

“Should we go?” Henry asked.

Amber nodded her head and started heading towards the lobby with Henry trailing after her. She fidgeted with the phone in her hand and jumped when Henry suddenly held her hand.

“What’s wrong?” Henry asked.

“Nothing. I didn’t see you coming.” Amber explained as she shoved her phone into the pocket of her jeans.

Henry only smiled as he held onto her hand and led her to the car. He never forgets to open the passenger car door for her. Amber still felt awkward about it but got in nonetheless. Amber buckled her seatbelt and pulled out her camcorder from her bag. Amber busily cleaned the lens of her camera and checking her memory card making sure that she still had space left.

“So, where should we head first?” Henry asked starting the engine.

“Let’s look for something that’s off the map?” Amber said cautiously.

Henry nodded his head as he started driving. So they drove off from the hotel. Henry took random turns and picking a route randomly until they reached a dusty quiet road. The road was too narrow to pass through so Henry stopped the car. No other transportation probably ever passed through except for motorcycles maybe Henry thought as he saw a man on a motorcycle pass by and traveled down the narrow road ahead of them.

“Maybe-“ Henry didn’t manage to finish his words and Amber was already getting out of the car.

“Amber?” Henry called out as he too got out of the car.

“Look!” Amber exclaimed as she pointed towards a certain direction with her finger as she started recording with the other hand.

Henry looked towards the direction she pointed out and noticed hidden behind some bushes, he could see the sea. It didn’t look that near and they were probably at higher grounds, probably a cliff. Henry turned to look at Amber but she was already making her way towards the edge of the cliff focused on recording the view in front of them with her camcorder.

“Hey! You don’t know if the beach is even safe or not.” Henry said trying to stop her.

“What would go wrong? Stop whining and enjoy the view Henry!” Amber said.

Henry sighed but nonetheless made his way through the bushes towards where Amber was standing but Amber wouldn’t stop walking as she continued to walk nearer towards the edge of the cliff.

“Be careful!” Henry said as he rushed towards her feeling the urgency to stop her before anything bad happens.

“Owh come on Henry!” Amber exclaimed before the next thing he knew, Amber was stumbling forward.

Amber didn’t know what was about to happen to her but what she knew was that she was falling. Without much thought she let out a scream as she tried grabbing onto something. She didn’t knew what but she tried her best to hold onto it for safety as she started falling hoping she wouldn’t ruin the camcorder in the process. She was falling on her back sliding down the cliff that didn’t last long but it scared her.

After a while she finally felt that she had already stopped moving and was probably on dry land. But her heart was beating too fast and she was shivering from fear. She couldn’t make herself open her eyes.

“Amber? Amber? Are you alright?” He heard Henry’s voice calling for her.

Slowly with deep calming breath, she opened her eyes and noticed Henry looking down on her. She looked around her and noticed her left hand gripping tightly onto Henry’s shirt and her camcorder in her right hand.

“Are you okay?” Henry asked again.

“I…. I’m so sorry.” Amber finally croaked the words out.

“You should’ve been careful. We’re lucky the cliff is barely 2 meters high.” Henry said as he glanced up at where they were previously.

Slowly, Amber tried to loosen her grip from his shirt but she was shivering so badly that she felt her hands cramping up unable to let go easily. Henry placed his hand over hers and slowly pulled her hand away from his shirt as he continued to hold onto her hand as if assuring her things were fine.

“Can you get up? You’re not hurt right?” Henry asked as he scanned her body for any visible cuts.

“I’m fine.” Amber said since she didn’t felt any obvious pains anywhere.

Henry extended his hand to her and without much hesitance, Amber grabbed onto his hand. Henry pulled her up with his other hand supporting her. Henry even helped brush off the dry leaves and soil from her t-shirt. Amber noticed his hair was messy with several dry leaves stuck in between.

“You have some too.” Amber said as she reached for his hair and brushed off the leaves and dirt trying to make his hair look the way it was before.

Henry smiled watching her help him brush off the dry leaves and soil from his hair.

“I guess that was a shortcut to this beach though.” Henry said as he stepped aside to show Amber where exactly they were.

They were standing at a spot that was hidden away in the corner of a beach that no one really passes by. But the beach was pretty and clean.

“Should we go for a walk now that we’re here?” Henry asked and Amber nodded her head.

Without much thought, Henry laced his fingers with Amber as they walked nearer towards the water. Amber wasn’t as shy as she felt when they first held hands. In fact she liked it and without realizing she was smiling to herself. Amber continued to record the view of the sea and the beach.

Just when Amber was so focused on the view, she felt someone coming in close to her back with hands wrapped around her waist. Amber tensed up by the touch but slowly loosened when she finally realized that it was Henry.

“Let’s give the camera a little rest. You’ve been on it for hours.” Henry spoke as he slowly took the camera out of her hand.

“But-“ Amber tried to get it back but Henry had already walked away and placed them on his white button down shirt placed on the ground.

“You can start recording later.” Henry said as he pulled her away and headed towards the water.

“Like you said, what would go wrong?” Henry said before he pulled her arm and pushed the both of them into the water.

“My cap!” Amber screamed suddenly emerging from the water again.

“Got it!” Henry said as he caught the cap before it floated further away.

With great skill, Henry tossed the cap towards where he had left his shirt and her camcorder. It missed by a length but nonetheless it was safe from being washed away.

“Impressive.” Amber stated observing how far he had managed to toss the cap like a frisbee.

“I’m great with my hands.” Henry said as he tried to flex.

But it only made Amber laugh so hard watching him flex.

“Not funny blondie.” Henry said as he splashed water at her.

“Hey!” Amber run up towards him and grabbed him by the neck trying to dunk his head into the water.

“Not happening!” Henry tried to resist.

And so they spent the entire afternoon laughing and playing around in the water till they had tire out themselves. Amber ran for dry land as she finally plopped down allowing the water to only wash up to her feet. Henry joined her as they took a break. Amber shook her head trying to shift her wet hair out of her face.

“Hey!” Henry exclaimed as he tried to shield himself from the water splattering all over him.

Amber laughed and did some more, shoving her head towards Henry as she did so. Henry tried to stop her by grabbing onto her face. By then, their face was only inches away. Amber looked into Henry’s eyes and she had already stopped shaking her head. Henry brushed her hair out of her face and wiped the wet sand on her cheek. Slowly, he moved in closer looked down from her eyes to her lips before he finally leaned in and kissed her on the lips.