Chapter 07

A Midsummer Dream...

Amber ran into the cold forgetting that she was wearing a dress that bared her arms and chest. It wasn’t even long enough to cover her knees. She was annoyed and angry just because of some guy she never even knew. It was frustrating.

“Hey! Hey!” Amber heard a male voice from behind her.

She wasn’t sure if it was intended towards her but she stopped walking and looked over her shoulder. Henry was running up towards her.

“Leave me alone!” Amber yelled and continued to walk.

The cold wind was unbearable to Amber. She rubbed her arms as she walked. This was probably one of the reasons she hated dresses. They were uncomfortable and cold!

“Just stop for a moment will you?!” Henry kept yelling as he jogged trying to catch up with her.

“No! Just stop following me!” Amber yelled back at him.

The open space pretty much swallowed their voice. No one was around and the beach was completely empty. There wasn’t much lighting except from the moonlight above their heads.

“Just let me explain!” Henry grabbed her arm and pulled her towards him.

“I don’t want to hear anything alright?! All I want is to just enjoy my vacation! Without having YOU interfering alright?!” Amber screamed at him.

Henry could feel her tremble under his touch. He could feel her hand was icy cold. The win blew her hair as it swish swashed around. Staring at her, Henry realized how cold she probably felt in that dress.

“I’m sorry.” Henry said.

“Here, take my jacket.” Henry took of his blazer and offered it to her.

“Forget it. I don’t need it.” Amber pushed his hand away and walked off.

Henry sighed but he ran up to her and wrapped the blazer around her shoulders.

“I said, I didn’t need it.” Amber said trying to take it off.

“Just take it. You don’t even have to give it back.” Henry said.

Amber turned to face him again and she didn’t look happy.

“I won’t follow you if that’s what you’re worried about. Go on. I’ll stay here for the next ten minutes.” Henry said as he slipped his hands into his pocket.

He had an apologetic look on his face. His gaze had softened and he wasn’t smiling. Amber wasn’t sure if it was real or if he was just acting. After all, he seemed to be a womanizer to her. Amber sighed and turned away as she continued to walk. Her steps weren’t quick nor was it slow. She walked silently trying to listen if he would be following her.

Henry did as he said he would. He stood there watching Amber’s back as she walked away. Her silhouette turned smaller and smaller and soon she disappeared into the darkness too hard for him to notice. It made him feel odd seeing her walk away from him. He couldn’t really say he had ever felt it before. Somehow, it ached… What really did ache? It was just painful to watch somehow.

He stared up at the sky. The moon was luminous above his head as specks of stars scattered around it. The night was awfully beautiful he had to admit but what just happened wasn’t that pretty. It was a really chilly night and Henry could feel it up to his bones. He looked to his left and if he were to walk back to the party, it would barely take him three minutes but he wasn’t in the mood anymore. He sighed and looked down at his watch. Another five more minutes.

Amber continued to walk into the night and she wasn’t even sure how long it had been. 2 minutes? 3 minutes? Maybe 5 and she wouldn’t even be sure. Unconsciously, she felt herself pulling Henry’s blazer closer to her body. She could smell his cologne and it reminded her of the covers in his room. It had the same scent. It made her sigh before she stopped in her tracks. Feeling curious, Amber looked over her shoulder but no one was there. Only darkness was all she saw.      

“Why would you care Amber? You want to enjoy your vacation without him appearing everywhere.” Amber whispered to herself.

“Right?” Suddenly she felt confused but shook her head.

Amber unlocked the front door of her cabin and walked in immediately heading for her bed. She pulled Henry’s blazer off her shoulder and dropped it on her bed. Amber stood at the edge of the bed staring down at the blazer for a while before she looked down at the dress she was still wearing. It then hit her again how uncomfortable she had felt wearing them. She made a face before she stripped down out of the dress.

After she was finally refreshed and changed into her pajamas, Amber slipped under her untouched blankets. Amber pulled the covers over her shoulder and laid her head on the pillow. From where she was, she could see the blazer lying at the edge of the bed. Not knowing why, Amber crawled from under her covers and grabbed the blazer. She wasn’t sure why but the smell of his cologne was pretty addictive and she liked it.

Slipped under her covers with his blazer in her hand, it reminded her of his blanket in his room all over again. Amber shut her eyes tightly and allowed herself to drift off into a deep slumber.

Henry glanced down at his watch again. Ten minutes had passed exactly how he promised her. Slowly, Henry’s feet shuffled over the sand before he picked up his pace and headed for his own cabin. The night continued to feel lonelier.

Upon reaching his cabin, Henry couldn’t help but glance at her cabin that was just right next to his. From the windows and sliding door, Henry could guess that she was probably asleep. There wasn’t a single light on. Silently, Henry crept up to Amber’s cabin’s porch but stopped midway. Realizing what he was doing, Henry turned around and walked away.

“You’re not a stalker Henry.” Henry told himself.

Henry got into his cabin and without switching on any lights, he headed for his bed and immediately plopped down, resting his head on his pillow. Henry was reminded of the night before when Amber was the one that had been sleeping right where he was lying at. He imagined her head on his pillow, her peaceful sleeping face and her body curled up under the covers. He even remembered their feet touching under the blanket.

“What are you thinking Henry?!” Henry hit himself in the head and shook it vigorously.

With a sigh, Henry ed his shirt and lied in bed before he drifted off to sleep not expecting to dream of her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another update... I'm really hoping that my story is going through the right course... I hope it won't be ruined midway or something... Anyways, enjoy! And to the new subscribers, thanks for subscribing~~ I'll work hard to give you guys a good read... ^_^