Chapter 01

A Midsummer Dream...

A girl rushes out of the airport as she took a deep breath. She had a luggage in one hand, a passport in the other and a guitar case strapped to her back. A grin plastered on her face as she took in the entire scenery before her. She could get a glimpse of a beach right ahead of her and it was making her feel excited.

“Hawaii!! Here I am!!” She screamed towards the sea she saw right ahead.

Just then, a person came and bumped into her shoulder causing her to stumble. The girl curses and glare at the boy who had just bumped into her. He stood in front of her as he looked left and right looking like he was getting ready to cross the road.

“Hey!” She yelled.

The guy stops looking left and right and looked over his shoulder towards her.

“Aren’t you apologizing?” She asked with a hand on her waist.

He slightly nodded his head and turned to look ahead again before he hurriedly crossed the then busy road.

“You call that an apology?!” She tried to say but was too late.

“Hey! A******!” She screamed trying to catch up to him.

She runs after him and barely avoided and oncoming car. In the midst of escaping the car, the boy had managed to hail a cab and went off. She curses again as she sighs.

“You’re lucky that I don’t know you!” She screamed watching the taxi slowly disappear.

As she tried to hail a cab, she felt her phone vibrating in her jeans pocket. While the taxi driver helped to load her luggage into the cab, the girl answers her phone and gets into the cab.

“Yes ma?” She answers reluctantly.

“Are you there yet?” The woman from the other end asked.

“Yes ma. I just landed half an hour ago.” She answered as she played with her cap.

“Have you reached your hotel yet?”

“Ma! I just landed half an hour ago. How do you expect me to get there that quick.” She answered sounding annoyed.

“Alright, alright. I’m just worried Amber.” The older woman voiced her concern.

“I know ma but I’ll be fine. So don’t worry. I’ll text you when I get to the hotel alright?” Amber said this time in a much more gentle voice.

“Okay. Make sure you take care of yourself.”

The both of them said their goodbyes over the phone and Amber hangs up. Amber looks up from the cap lying on her lap and realized that the taxi driver was staring at her. Amber stared back at him suddenly feeling nervous at the sight of his gaze.

“Where are you going young man?” The taxi driver asked.

Amber realized that the man had probably thought she was a boy and she wasn’t sure whether she should be thankful about that or not. Not wanting to get angry or having to explain herself Amber tried her best to remain her smile.

“I need to get to this hotel.” She said showing to him a paper that was scribbled with the name of the hotel.

The taxi driver took a closer look at the piece of paper before he nodded his head and said a fluent ‘Okay’ despite looking like a total foreigner. Amber yawned as she stuffed the small piece of paper back into her jeans pocket. Her eyes felt heavy but the scenery before her eyes was too captivating. Soon enough, Amber fell asleep at the back seat of the cab after a long while trying hard not to.

“Boy! Boy!” Amber heard someone yell.

She slowly opened one side of her eye and saw the taxi driver staring at her with one of his hand on her knee. Instinctively, Amber pushed his hand away and yelled a loud “What?!” at him.

“Your hotel? We are here.” He said this time not sounding as fluent as he did earlier.

Amber looked outside the window and saw the hotel she had saw on the internet about a few months ago. Her face lit up again realizing she had reached the hotel. She got out of the cab and so did the taxi driver who helped her get the luggage out of the back boot.

“50 dollars.” He said after handing her the luggage.

Amber rummaged through her back pack and pulled out a 50 dollar note from her pink coloured purse. The taxi driver stared at her pink purse for quite some while after she had handed him the note.

“Thanks. By the way, I’m not a boy.” Amber said as she grabbed her luggage and walked off.

It was pretty annoying when people kept thinking that she was a boy but that was something she couldn't entirely blame them for. She was always dressed casually like a boy anyway with her oversized t-shirts, varsity jackets and caps as her occasional main accessory. Pulling her luggage along with her towards the reception counter again for the second time that day, someone pushes her and stands in front of her instead. Amber sighed thinking how unlucky she must have been to have been pushed twice on the same day on her personal vacation.

“Excuse me! I was here first.” Amber said just loud enough for the person to hear her.

The man ignored her and continued to deal with the woman at the reception counter.

“Excuse me!” Amber said louder.

The man finally stops talking and turned to face her. What she saw was just simply unbelievable. The man stared at her so hard she thought he could shoot lasers through his eyes but Amber wasn’t going to back down.