Chapter 14

A Midsummer Dream...

Henry stared as the elderly woman placed the flower crown around Amber’s head as she said, “How pretty.”

Henry smiled to himself, “Yes, indeed she looked really pretty.”

Amber looked shy and embarrassed by the comment and Henry thought it was really cute.

“How much will that be?” Henry asked and the woman declined for money.

Henry felt uncomfortable to receive so he asked for the price of the flower bracelet. Henry pulled out a 20 dollar bill from his wallet and passed it to the boy.

“Keep the change. Thank you for the beautiful flowers.” Henry said as he grabbed Amber’s hand.

“Thank you very much sir! Enjoy your trip!” The boy exclaimed as he waved at them as they made their way down the road.

Henry couldn’t help but kept looking at Amber. The flowers around her head seemed to bring out the beauty in her. Amber was so focused on her camera before she realized that Henry had been staring at her the whole time. She then remembered the flower crown around her head.

“I look weird in them don’t I?” Amber said as she tried to reach for the flower crown on her head when Henry hurriedly stopped her.

“No, no. It really suits you. I like it like that.” Henry said as he grinned.

“Here, have this too.” Henry said as he slipped the flower bracelet around her wrist.

They then went on to visit stall by stall. The entire street had various to offer. From food to even antique items. They laughed and they talked till the sun was starting to set. They had lost track of time without realizing. The wind was getting colder and Amber was only wearing a thin shirt with her camisole underneath. The sudden gush of wind made her shiver slightly. Just then, she felt a warm layer around her shoulders. She looked up and Henry had taken off his jacket and placed them around her shoulders.

“Let’s go back.” He said as he held onto her hand tightly and lead her back to where they he had parked his car earlier.

Along the drive back to their lodging, Amber watched her recording from the entire day. The tiny screen showed various people of various ages, their smiles and laughter, small businesses or even large ones everyone was smiling. Everyone seemed happy and it made her smile how wonderful it looked. Amber yawned as she covered with the back of her hand.

She hadn’t noticed they had reached the hotel until Henry opened the door for her. Amber scrambled to unbuckle her seat belt but Henry had already beaten her to that. Henry slipped half of his body in and unbuckled the belt as he smiled at her.

“C’mon, let’s go.” He said as he got out of the car and extended his hand to her.

Amber was too shy to hold his hand, so she ignored his hand and got out of the car not forgetting to close the door behind her. Henry snickered before he grabbed Amber’s hand and passed his car keys with the other to the concierge.

“Are you hungry? Wanna grab a bite first?” Henry asked.

“Erm…. Sure.” Amber’s answer was short.

So they made their way to the restaurant in quiet. Amber felt her grip slowly tightening around Henry’s hand.

“Did you have fun?” He asked suddenly.

“Huh?” Amber looked up at him.

“What were you thinking about? I asked if you had fun today.” Henry said as he let out a little laughter.

“Owh…. Urm… yeah.” Amber just nodded her head.

As they sat down and ordered their meal and waited. Amber was minding her own business fumbling with her camera in hand before she felt a shadow approaching her. Henry was leaning into the table and his hand reached for her face. She was slightly taken aback and leaned further into her seat. Henry smiled as he continued to reach in and he finally touched her hair.

“Your hair got caught in the crown.” He said as he adjusted the strands of her hair.

Amber felt embarrassed by her action and decided to take the crown off her head.

“You didn’t have to remove it. You looked pretty.” Henry said right before their meal was served before them.

Amber blushed as he hurriedly picked up her utensils and dug in. Just as they were half way through their meal, Amber’s cellphone started vibrating madly on the table indicating a call was coming through. Amber placed down her utensils and answered the call immediately.

“Owh Ma, what’s the matter?” Amber asked as she looked at her watch just to check the time.

“Your dad just confirmed your flight ticket.”

“Owh… the flight.” Amber almost forgot about what she had told her mother the day before. She took a glance at Henry and he didn’t seem like he was paying much attention to her conversation.

“Erm… I’ll just take this call real quick.” She informed Henry before she headed to somewhere further from Henry’s hearing.

“Your dad managed to get a flight back home. It’s in another two more days…” Mrs. Liu didn’t manage to finished her sentence.

“What? Two days?” Amber repeated.

“That’s the fastest we could manage honey.” Her mom said.

Amber went quiet. She suddenly felt a little regretful for asking an earlier flight back after today. She chewed her lip and answered an okay to her mother.

“Just enjoy yourself okay? And no partying alright?” Her mother warned her before bidding her good night and good bye.

Amber fumbled with her phone for a little while as she felt herself in a dilemma. Maybe she was just too rushed about the entire idea the night before. Her feelings had gotten the best of her. But nonetheless she had to realize that was she and Henry was experiencing at the moment was only momentary. It wasn’t going to last right? Amber asked herself as she looked towards where they were seating earlier. That’s when she realized that Henry was actually looking straight towards her. Had he been looking at her the whole time without her realizing? Henry smiled back at her and so she smiled too.

Amber stuffed her phone back into her pocket and made her way back to their seat. Henry didn’t say anything as she sat but only looked at her.

“You should finish up your dinner.” Henry finally said.

“Erm… it’s okay. I’m done.” Amber said as she pushed the plate away.

“You’ve barely had half of it.” Henry tried to encourage her to finish her meal.

“Nah, I’m pretty worn out. I think I’d like to head back to the room.” Amber answered without looking up at him.

“Okay.” Was all he said.

On their way back Henry still held her hand without letting it go. Amber wanted it to last but she knew it wouldn’t and without realizing she let out a silent sigh.

“Is something bothering you?” Henry asked suddenly.

“No.” Amber answered quickly.

“Doesn’t seem like a no to me.” Henry said as they slowly closed in towards her cabin.

“Thanks for today.” Amber said as she pulled her hand free and was about to make her way to her cabin.

But before she could take a step further, Henry grabbed onto her wrist.

“Do you mind sharing what’s troubling you?” Henry asked sincerely concerned.

This was the first time that they were actually starting into a deep conversation. She hesitated but then felt like what was troubling her was something petty.

“I’m fine Henry. Good night.” Amber said looking at him with a fake smile on her face.

Henry couldn’t feel the sincerity in her answer but wasn’t sure what else he should say next.

“Good night.” Henry finally said and let go of her hand.

Amber walked into her room and closed the door realizing that Henry was still standing there looking back at her. She didn’t want guilt to wallow in her so she ignored him and lied down on her bed immediately after. She was worn out and hungry to be honest but she just wasn’t in the mood to finish her meal earlier.

Henry stood there for what seemed to be quite a while as he watched Amber make her way back to her room. He had a really bad feeling when she said she was fine. He could sense that something was clearly not alright. Was it about the conversation she had with Victoria the night before? It then made him a little bit angry. Victoria was like that overprotective elder sister that thinks she knows best. Henry then made up his mind and walked up to Amber’s door and knocked.

Amber was lying down on her bed for quite some time and was just about to fall asleep when the knock on her door made her jump. The knocks continued and Amber quickly got on her feet and unlocked the door. There, Henry stood in front of her door looking back at her.

“Henry?” She said surprised that he was there.

Henry sighed, “I can’t let it go. You’re not alright and I want you to tell me about it.” He said with a seemingly sad looking pair of eyes.

“I am fine. I promise.” Amber said but her hands were gripping tight on the door knob hoping it would give her strength.

“I just…. I thought that you would trust to confide in me.” Henry said quietly as he reached for her free hand.

Amber turned quiet. She didn’t expect to hear that from him. Henry lightly the back of her hand with his thumb.

“Why don’t you come in? It’s really cold outside.” Amber said as she pulled the door wider.

It seemed to take Henry a while but he finally stepped in. For a while, Amber leaned quietly against the door as Henry stood with his back facing her.

“Amber.” Henry called.

Amber looked up and noticed him turning around to face her. He had an expression that seemed to be in between somewhat angry and upset.

“Did Victoria say something yesterday to upset you?” He asked and Amber tried to avoid eye contact.

“I don’t…” Amber was just about to say something when Henry grabbed her by both arms.

Amber looked up at him slightly taken aback.

“I just want you to be honest. I want you to be able to tell me things that upset you.” Henry confided her as he looked her straight in the eye.

“We’ve only met for a mere few days. And we’re not going to stay here forever Henry.” Amber started.

Henry looked hurt but seemed to hold back whatever tears or anger he might have at the moment.

“It may be just a mere few days but what I know is that I’ve grown to like you. A lot.” Henry confessed as he reached for her face.

“Once we go back to our places this will all just be like a dream.” Amber said no longer able to hold her tears.

Henry didn’t say anything but closed in towards her and pulled her into a comforting hug. He her hair lightly.

“This is good. Cry if you need to. Talk if it troubles you. That’s all I want. I want you to smile if you want to and laugh if you need to.” He whispered in her ear as he continued to her hair.

It felt comforting but she knew by then she couldn’t really do anything much so she held him close.