Chapter 16

A Midsummer Dream...

The sun was setting and the sky was now the colour of in between purple and orange. It was breathtaking. Amber now has the camera in her hands again as she recorded the scene. Henry then reached in and turned the camcorder lenses towards them.

“What are you doing?” Amber asked.

“I thought we should at least have ourselves in those videos.” He said as he rested his chin on her shoulder.

He was right. She was constantly busy recording other people that she never had a proper recording with the both of them in. Amber smiled into the lenses and so did Henry before he gave her a peck on the cheek.

“Let’s go. The sun is setting.” Henry said as he stood up.

Amber closed her camcorder and reached for Henry’s hand without feeling shy even the slightest. Henry smiled seeing how much she had become comfortable with him.

“Owh, wait. Maybe we should get changed first.” Henry said suddenly.

“It’ll be uncomfortable don’t you think to get into the car all wet and sandy.” He said as he looked down at his sandy khaki’s.

“Uncomfortable or you just don’t want to get your car dirty?” Amber said raising an eyebrow.

“And that too.” Henry laughed before he looked around and spotted a souvenir shop up ahead.

“Maybe they’ll have something.” Henry said pointing towards the souvenir shop.

The souvenir shop was small and didn’t look like they had much merchandise to offer but nonetheless they still had a clothing section.

“Maybe you should get this.” Amber said raising a bright red Hawaiian shirt with large yellow flower prints as she tried stifling a laugh.

“Ha, ha. Very funny Amber.” Henry said sarcastically before he went on to survey their t-shirts that lacked variety.

“Let’s just get this.” Henry said pulling out two matching ‘I ♥ HAWAII’

“So tacky.” Amber said scrunching her face.

“Just deal with it.” Henry said before he grabbed two Hawaiian shorts and pushed Amber into the dressing room.

When Amber was done getting dressed she stepped out of the dressing room and saw Henry paying at the cashier. He had the same ‘I ♥ HAWAII’ t-shirt except he had red Hawaiian shorts on and she had green ones.

“Why you got red ones.” Amber complained as she wore her cap.

“I called dips.” Henry said before laughing.

“Fine, you want it I’ll give it to you later.” Henry said turning away from the cashier.

“Nope, forget it. I don’t want your shorts.” Amber said as she turned around and walked out of the shop.

“You guys are cute.” The cashier said suddenly to Henry.

Henry only managed a smile before he too left the shop.  They tried walking back to the car hoping to find a way and realized that the car was really far away.

“I hope my car’s safe.” Henry said.

“It’ll be fine… I think.” Amber said trying to be reassuring but she wasn’t sure herself.

Upon reaching the car, the car was parked exactly where he had left them earlier without a single scratch but a note was left on his window wiper.

‘Sir/Madam, please don’t park your car here next time. Thank you.’

“They sure had manners to write a note.” Amber said sneaking up behind Henry.

“I suppose.” Henry answered as he crumpled up the note and tossed it into the backseat.

On their way back to the hotel, they visited a little dainty vintage restaurant. People stared at them when they entered. To be honest just by appearance alone, they did look out of place. Other customers were in pretty dresses and suit looking all fancy while they were only dressed in t-shirts and Hawaiian pants.

“Maybe we should go somewhere else.” Amber said quietly as she tugged onto Henry’s t-shirt.

“There’s no dress code here. Let them be.” Henry said before turning towards the woman in front of him waiting to them to their seats.

“Table for two please.” Henry said.

“Of course. This way sir.” The girl answered as she escorted them to a table.

People still gave them weird glances but soon enough everyone was more interested in their own meal. Amber and Henry too enjoyed their meal and talked. They wouldn’t stop talking and laughing even when they had reached their hotel rooms.

“So, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow?” Henry finally said standing in front of Amber’s door.

His words made her stomach drop. She knew she wasn’t going to see him tomorrow. Henry slowly let go of her hand and was about to leave when Amber hurriedly held onto his hand.

“What’s wrong?” Henry asked.

“Urm… let’s talk more.” Amber said.

“Talk more?” Henry asked.

“Yeah. Maybe over some drinks?” Amber tried to persuade him to stay.

Henry smiled. He didn’t know why she wanted him to stay but he did anyway. Upon stepping into her room, they were both quiet.  Amber thought she needed to break the awkward silence since she was the one who invited him to stay longer.

“I’ll go order some drinks for us.” Amber said reaching for the hotel phone.

“You know what, let me order them.” Henry said taking over.

Amber didn’t felt like arguing or saying anything that would cause them to repeat themselves so she let him be. Amber walked over to her couch and placed the guitar she had left lying on the couch on her lap. It’s been awhile since she held it ever since she last reached Hawaii.

“Play something for me.” Henry said before taking a seat opposite her.

“What do you want to hear?” Amber asked happily.

She was glad to play the guitar just about anyone. Her guitar was one of her happy things and it made her be herself without a care in the world.

“Anything that’s on your mind.” Henry said.

Amber nodded her head and started to strum a few notes, warming up her fingers before she proceeded to play a song she had in mind. She even hummed along and sang a little. Before she managed to even finish the song, a knock from the front door was heard.

“That’s probably the drinks. I’ll get it.” Henry said getting up from his seat.

Amber continued to play with her guitar a little before Henry came back with a bottle of wine in his hand and two wine glasses in the other.

“I though a little wine can help warm us up a little if you don’t mind.” Henry said as he sat down and placed the wine bottle and glasses on the table.

“I thought you wouldn’t let me drink?” Amber said as she cocked an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

“I’m here to look out for you. A glass or two wouldn’t be harmful I suppose.” Henry answered as he popped the bottle open and poured into each glass before picking one of it and handed it over to Amber.

Amber took a whiff of the wine and grinned before she took a sip. It was the first time she had ever taken a sip of a wine. It was satisfying with the sweet taste of grape and the alcoholic after taste.

“Here, let me try the guitar.” Henry said reaching for the guitar.

“Do you even know how to play?” Amber snickered as she took another sip of her glass.

“I learned a little back then. I played all sorts of instruments.” Henry said as he tried to strum a few notes.

“Uhuh? You did huh?” Amber said as if she didn’t believe him.

“I did. Only until I got bored of them. But I can play some songs.” Henry said before he started strumming a song.

The song was good until he went of key and sounded like he was playing a different song. By then, Amber could no longer hold in her laugh. It was so terrible she couldn’t bear to listen anymore.

“Maybe I’m much rustier then I expected.” Henry said embarrassed as he put the guitar away.

And so they spent the night fooling around sipping on wine. Glass after glass and maybe a little way too much than she probably should have drank, she was already feeling drunk. Henry kept fooling around with the guitar trying hard to ace the right notes.

“It still sounds like .” Amber said slurring the words as she continued to slump into the couch.

Henry looked up from the guitar and looked back at Amber who was obviously drunk. Henry laughed as he placed the guitar down.

“Maybe you should go to bed.” Henry suggested.

“No! I’m still fine!” She said loudly as she held a finger up to Henry’s face.

“No you’re not fine.” Henry said taking the glass away from her hand.

“My glass!” She yelled for it.

“Shhh… that’s enough for one night.” He said stopping her from trying to fight for the glass back.

Amber pouted as she tried to resist Henry from picking her up off the couch. But obviously in the state she was in and despite Henry being stronger than her, Henry easily scooped her up into his arms and carried her to the bed. Amber no longer resisted or tried to fight. She was slowly falling asleep as Henry tried to tuck her in. But before he knew it, Amber had grabbed onto his t-shirt and kissed him on the lips real hard. It only lasted a few seconds and when she finally released him, she had passed out into slumber. Henry could only manage a small laugh before he climbed in next to her. All the playing in the water wore him out and he was too tired to walk back to his own room. She probably didn’t mind right? Henry ignored his thoughts and climbed into bed next to Amber.

Henry was just about to get settled in when he felt a body coming closer behind him. He looked over his shoulder and saw Amber nestled against his back with her arms around his waist. Henry smiled as he held her hand tight and soon enough fell asleep.